PDA

View Full Version : Ac3 control change

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 01:10 AM
The new creative director said that he wants to make a better fight and decided to change “core mechanical stuff to do with the fighting”. “I think we can make a much better fight. So we’ll be ripping that apart and rebuilding it from the ground up”.

B is defense, tap to counter.
X is attack
A is sprint/free run
y is secondary weapon
Rt=?
Lt=?

Rb=weapon wheels?
LB= assassins?
Ls=eagle sense
Rs=?
start=pause
select=map(most likely)

controls are the same in and out of combat

ElDoucherino
03-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Supposedly this new control system adds more difficulty to combat so i don't see why you would rather have the old once if you are craving for a challenge.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Really? it doesnt seem like it to me. Ill have to watch videos of it when they come out.

Jexx21
03-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Please try to see actual footage or play the game before you judge control systems.

Rycay
03-06-2012, 01:25 AM
I'm a little freaked out about the control change, but I'm also a bit curious. Personally, I think I'm good offensively (<3 my hidden blade). The only thing that needs real polishing is my free-running. I can barely free-run on a building so maybe jumping around in trees will help that a bit. I'm acutally looking forward to having a bit of a challenge.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Please try to see actual footage or play the game before you judge control systems.

ok so I havent seen footage, but the changes seem rather large, and all Im saying is I'd like to be able to use the original controls.

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 01:30 AM
If you don't want things to change, don't buy sequels. You will learn to adapt. Deal with it.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 01:32 AM
If you don't want things to change, don't buy sequels. You will learn to adapt. Deal with it.
I can accept change, hence me having all the AC games besides 3, but I would rather not change and have the option to play the game like the others.

Jexx21
03-06-2012, 01:33 AM
CALVAROK!! You and your Zhaitan minion goodness!

Jexx21
03-06-2012, 01:35 AM
I can accept change, hence me having all the AC games besides 3, but I would rather not change and have the option to play the game like the others.

I actually think that it would be extremely hard for them to code back the old control system, because it would have to re-create the high-profile and low-profile action sets, not to mention it would probably increase the amount of animations needed.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 01:36 AM
I actually think that it would be extremely hard for them to code back the old control system, because it would have to re-create the high-profile and low-profile action sets, not to mention it would probably increase the amount of animations needed.
would that be so bad?
Assassins creed was built around this, to stray so far from your origins like this is wrong.

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Exactly. A tremendous waste of time that will make a very VERY small amount of people happy. And by not bothering with it, said people will learn to love new new system as well.

Saying "I can accept change but I'd rather not" is very contradictory. If you can accept change, then do it. Simple as that.

EDIT: Nothing is wrong with completely revamping everything about the way your game plays and controls. In fact, every sequel should be like that.
The gameplay pillars will be carried over, so they're not straying from the roots at all.

As long as we still know jack all about the way the game will actually control, you should probably stop freaking out and accusing them of straying.

Jexx21
03-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Well.. yes. Because they could use that time to add more stuff to the game.

Trust me, it'll still feel like an Assassin's Creed game. Just try to adapt. To be honest, the new controls don't even seem to be that much different anyway.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 01:40 AM
Exactly. A tremendous waste of time that will make a very VERY small amount of people happy. And by not bothering with it, said people will learn to love new new system as well.

Saying "I can accept change but I'd rather not" is very contradictory. If you can accept change, then do it. Simple as that.
It isn't contradictory. I stated I have the ability to adapt, but would much rather not. How could you possibly evaluate the number of people who it would make happy. Where do you find these statistics?

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 01:42 AM
If it is as it seems, I do believe it will be different.
It seems all the functions provided by the high profile asston will be reduced to a much simpler version.

ace3001
03-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Supposedly this new control system adds more difficulty to combat so i don't see why you would rather have the old once if you are craving for a challenge.

Challenge should come from gameplay itself, not crappy controls. -__-

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 02:15 AM

well put.

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 02:17 AM
Because the majority of people who play games don't play them very often, and thus have no real connection to previous control schemes, and the rest of the people who are devoted enough to play intensively will take the time to get used to the new controls, because they like the game for more than what exact ****ons they press to play it.

I said that you should get used to change if you're buying a sequel, which SHOULD mean a significant change. You then said that you could get used to change, but you didn't want to. So if you can get used to it, then at that point you won't care about having different controls, (since you're used to them) and Ubisoft saved valuable time by not catering to your every whim. This is supposed to be a new chapter in Assassin's Creed history. the next step. Blindly holding on to the control schemes of the past is stupid. Games are about evolution, not stagnation. If you can make something more intuitive and just generally better, then do it.

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 02:20 AM
Shanki misspoke. They never said that the controls were changed to make combat harder. They said gameplay was changed to make combat more involving and fast-paced, and that necessitated a new control scheme. That's another point: the old AC controls probably wouldn't even work with this game.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 02:31 AM
Because the majority of people who play games don't play them very often, and thus have no real connection to previous control schemes, and the rest of the people who are devoted enough to play intensively will take the time to get used to the new controls, because they like the game for more than what exact ****ons they press to play it.

I said that you should get used to change if you're buying a sequel, which SHOULD mean a significant change. You then said that you could get used to change, but you didn't want to. So if you can get used to it, then at that point you won't care about having different controls, (since you're used to them) and Ubisoft saved valuable time by not catering to your every whim. This is supposed to be a new chapter in Assassin's Creed history. the next step. Blindly holding on to the control schemes of the past is stupid. Games are about evolution, not stagnation. If you can make something more intuitive and just generally better, then do it.

you say I would get used to it, which is true, but you say I wont care which is obviously not true.If its not broken, dont fix it, you'll wind up breaking it. it isnt blindly holding onto the past. Assassins creed was built around those concepts. If you change it, you change the whole game. Evolution is a process of natural selection which cannot be achieved in a video game. It wouldn't be rotting due to lack of movement as it cannot rot, and the series continues to sell millions every year. It doesn't seem more intuitive, as they got rid of high profile which reduces complex actions to simplicity. as you said, if you can make it generally better, do it.

Grazel69
03-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Lets wait untill we see some actual footage before saying you don't like the new control system ok?

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Shanki misspoke. They never said that the controls were changed to make combat harder. They said gameplay was changed to make combat more involving and fast-paced, and that necessitated a new control scheme. That's another point: the old AC controls probably wouldn't even work with this game.
more fast paced? killing a group of 6 gaurds in 6 seconds by my self isnt fast paced enough? they likely wouldnt work because they are trying to make it more fast paced, but the previous games OBVIOUSLY worked.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 02:34 AM
Lets wait untill we see some actual footage before saying you don't like the new control system ok?

I dont need to see footage to know there are major changes involved that would make the game worse.

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 02:39 AM
Hahahaha.

You're an expert on how they've made things more simple? I'm sorry, I was not aware I was talking to someone who has seen gameplay and understands exactly how it works.

Assassin's Creed was not built around the control scheme, the control scheme was built around Assassin's Creed. And it's not a perfect control scheme. If the new one can do all the things the old one could do, but doesn't require you to be switching between high profile and low profile, then there is no reason to complain about it. None. And since you have no idea how any of this will even play out, you should wait before you start complaining. The core pillars of assassin's creed gameplay (movement, combat, and social stealth) are the true roots of the game. That's the only thing they're obligated to hold on to when they make a sequel to it.

"In biology, evolution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution) is change in traits of a population of organisms over time (due to a number of mechanisms and processes). In other contexts, evolution (term) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_(term)) can mean any gradual directional change." - Wikipedia

EDIT: "I dont need to see footage to know there are major changes involved that would make the game worse."
Name them.

Grazel69
03-06-2012, 02:39 AM
I dont need to see footage to know there are major changes involved that would make the game worse.
yes you do now stfu and if you still feel the same way after seeing gameplay feel free to bring the topic back up and I'd love to debate over it then :)

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 02:42 AM
I'd seriously enjoy hearing what supposed major problems you've found with the control scheme that you know nothing about. I'm no Sherlock Holmes, I need more info to make deductions like that. Maybe you can teach me something.

D.I.D.
03-06-2012, 02:42 AM
more fast paced? killing a group of 6 gaurds in 6 seconds by my self isnt fast paced enough? they likely wouldnt work because they are trying to make it more fast paced, but the previous games OBVIOUSLY worked.

It wasn't working for me. Combat was way too easy, and a lot of people are looking at AC1 through rose-coloured spectacles. It took longer to kill in AC1, but only hidden blade combat was genuinely more difficult. Any weapon fighting has always been a simple hold-block affair. All kill streaks did was to speed up the process.

I want combat to be tense and to have my nerves put on edge. Hopefully the redesign will give us that. If they wanted an easy game, I think they'd leave it as it was in ACR.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 02:47 AM
Hahahaha.

You're an expert on how they've made things more simple? I'm sorry, I was not aware I was talking to someone who has seen gameplay and understands exactly how it works.

Assassin's Creed was not built around the control scheme, the control scheme was built around Assassin's Creed. And it's not a perfect control scheme. If the new one can do all the things the old one could do, but doesn't require you to be switching between high profile and low profile, then there is no reason to complain about it. None. And since you have no idea how any of this will even play out, you should wait before you start complaining. The core pillars of assassin's creed gameplay (movement, combat, and social stealth) are the true roots of the game. That's the only thing they're obligated to hold on to when they make a sequel to it.

"In biology, evolution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution) is change in traits of a population of organisms over time (due to a number of mechanisms and processes). In other contexts, evolution (term) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_(term)) can mean any gradual directional change." - Wikipedia

EDIT: "I dont need to see footage to know there are major changes involved that would make the game worse."
Name them.
Please. Do explain how I can do EVERYTHING I could do before. That would mean I could play using the old controls.
I already named them.

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Watching your character kill very quickly with minimal input from you =/= fast-paced. Fast-paced is when you are directly contributing to the speed of the kills, and there is a possibility you won't mess it up. It's the difference between pressing a ****on to nuke a battlefield, and sniping 6 soldiers in quick succession. One required you to use more of your brain, and is more personal, so it feels more exciting than the other, even though the other garnered far more casualties.

A killstreak in ACR requires the following inputs from me: X, and X while in high profile if someone attacks. I don't even have to press in the direction of the person I want to attack. Everything is done for me. It barely engages any of my brain at all.

Combat needs a change. AC's combat has always been the least interesting part.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 02:50 AM
It wasn't working for me. Combat was way too easy, and a lot of people are looking at AC1 through rose-coloured spectacles. It took longer to kill in AC1, but only hidden blade combat was genuinely more difficult. Any weapon fighting has always been a simple hold-block affair. All kill streaks did was to speed up the process.

I want combat to be tense and to have my nerves put on edge. Hopefully the redesign will give us that. If they wanted an easy game, I think they'd leave it as it was in ACR.
Maybe it wasn't working for you, but it works well enough to sell millions each year. I do agree it was too easy, and they need to find a way to make it harder, not speed it up even more. I dont think people hold AC1 in high value very often.

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 02:51 AM
Please. Do explain how I can do EVERYTHING I could do before. That would mean I could play using the old controls.
I already named them.
Well, before you could attack enemies, counter enemies, and block enemies. You can do all that. Before you could freerun. You can do that. Before you could use social stealth. We have no info on that.

I'm just not really seeing what you're missing.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 02:52 AM
Watching your character kill very quickly with minimal input from you =/= fast-paced. Fast-paced is when you are directly contributing to the speed of the kills, and there is a possibility you won't mess it up. It's the difference between pressing a ****on to nuke a battlefield, and sniping 6 soldiers in quick succession. One required you to use more of your brain, and is more personal, so it feels more exciting than the other, even though the other garnered far more casualties.

A killstreak in ACR requires the following inputs from me: X, and X while in high profile if someone attacks. I don't even have to press in the direction of the person I want to attack. Everything is done for me. It barely engages any of my brain at all.

Combat needs a change. AC's combat has always been the least interesting part.
Finally, something we agree on. I dont want to use the kill streaks. I want a control change, but not that extreme.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 02:53 AM
Well, before you could attack enemies, counter enemies, and block enemies. You can do all that. Before you could freerun. You can do that. Before you could use social stealth. We have no info on that.

I'm just not really seeing what you're missing.

social stealth

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 02:55 AM
I know that just taking the current system and speeding it up is a bad idea. They never SAID they were going to do that. It's a new system, and it's fast-paced, but that doesn't automatically mean it's not skillful and engaging! Just look at Batman: Arkham Asylum! They said that it would be flowing and fast-paced, involve killstreaks, allow you to use human shields against bullet fire, and that all they said. They didn't get into any specifics at all. We have no way of knowing anything concrete about this system. All we know is what they're going for. Which sounds better than the previous system.

Grazel69
03-06-2012, 02:55 AM
social stealth
Dude stop with the ****tard trolling and either 1. send me the quote or something which makes you so worried about the whole control change so I can maybe relate to it (rather doubt it) or either SHUT YO MOUTH!

SleezeRocker
03-06-2012, 02:57 AM
control scheme change? if so i dont care just like any other game im sure ill be able to adapt :)

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 02:58 AM
social stealth
Yeah, so that's the thing we know literally nothing about. So why are you getting all freaked out about it? The game will still have cities, and it sounds like the crowd aspect has been bumped up, so you can expect that it will be in there. Regardless, social stealth has never really been about ****ons. IT's been about manuvering within the crowd. Do you think movement controls have been removed? If they're still in, then stealth is still in.

EDIT: Why does this board censor but(t)ons?

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 02:58 AM
Dude stop with the ****tard trolling and either 1. send me the quote or something which makes you so worried about the whole control change so I can maybe relate to it (rather doubt it) or either SHUT YO MOUTH!

I already said what the control change is.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Yeah, so that's the thing we know literally nothing about. So why are you getting all freaked out about it? The game will still have cities, and it sounds like the crowd aspect has been bumped up, so you can expect that it will be in there. Regardless, social stealth has never really been about ****ons. IT's been about manuvering within the crowd. Do you think movement controls have been removed? If they're still in, then stealth is still in.

EDIT: Why does this board censor but(t)ons?

I didn't say I wont use the new controls, but that I dont want to and would much rather use what I'm used to because ive done it for several years.
So far the game sounds amazing, but Im scared for the controls.
thats why I say asstons.

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 03:04 AM
I didn't say I wont use the new controls, but that I dont want to and would much rather use what I'm used to because ive done it for several years.
So far the game sounds amazing, but Im scared for the controls.

But what I'm saying is that you LITERALLY don't even know what said controls ARE.

Just that they're different. It's alright to be nervous, but don't go overboard just because a series is finally making some significant changes to control, after FOUR games that all controlled the same.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 03:07 AM
But what I'm saying is that you LITERALLY don't even know what said controls ARE.

Just that they're different. It's alright to be nervous, but don't go overboard just because a series is finally making some significant changes to control, after FOUR games that all controlled the same.

I do know what some of the controls are. The are rid of RT+A in favor of just A and block is now B and Rt isnt high profile so you lose several functions for some asstons. I know more but cant remember.
I dont know why it would be a bad idea to keep similar controls for a series.

Grazel69
03-06-2012, 03:13 AM
I do know what some of the controls are. The are rid of RT+A in favor of just A and block is now B and Rt isnt high profile so you lose several functions for some asstons. I know more but cant remember.
I dont know why it would be a bad idea to keep similar controls for a series.
because they are outdated and don't allow that freedom and fluent transitions that they will the new controls
therefor you can also not use the old controls because there simply is not an option to mechanic wise

there your answer now stfu

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 03:15 AM
because they are outdated and don't allow that freedom and fluent transitions that they will the new controls
therefor you can also not use the old controls because there simply is not an option to mechanic wise

there your answer now stfu

dont be a (d)ick, im not trying to be mean to you, you dont have to be rude. The controls arent outdated and do allow for fluent transitions.

Jexx21
03-06-2012, 03:20 AM
JC, can you try and wait for actual videos and being able to play the game before judging? Rent it from Gamefly or Redbox if you have to make sure the game is for you, but don't turn it down just because of the controls.

And no, UbiSoft isn't going to add the ability to use the old controls. It's obvious right now :P

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 03:20 AM
JC, can you try and wait for actual videos and being able to play the game before judging? Rent it from Gamefly or Redbox if you have to make sure the game is for you, but don't turn it down just because of the controls.

And no, UbiSoft isn't going to add the ability to use the old controls. It's obvious right now :P
how is it obvious?

Grazel69
03-06-2012, 03:22 AM
there is no more need for the High/low profile stuff
Connor will do high profile stuff in a low profile manner he's always hunting High profile style without actually going highprofile or alerting so many people therefor there is no need for an actual difference between the 2
and also what are you 8?

Jexx21
03-06-2012, 03:22 AM
The control system was specifically designed for this game, so that the combat could be more fluid and enjoyable.

Besides, have you ever heard of a game that has 2 control systems?

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 03:23 AM
OK, number one you just changed to subject back to combat and movement to suit your argument, because we were talking about stealth, and number two, you speak of high/low profile like they're the most important things in the world. What does not being able to switch between an arbitrary state actually change about gameplay? Disconnecting the trigger from the whole free-running system opens it up for use in other things. You see, consolidating sprint from two ****ons into one means MORE control options, not less. If you're wondering "how will we walk", then maybe they'll do what every game does: don't push all the way forward on the control stick. Ooooooh.

What I'm trying to get across to you, is that they have spent literally years testing out and implementing this new control scheme. You have spent a few minutes looking at basically none of what they've worked on, and are assuming that it will be crap. Can you see how your point of view simply doesn't provide enough data to make a reasonable generalization?

Jexx21
03-06-2012, 03:26 AM
Calvarok, how would they work that into the PC version? We can't press a ****on half-way.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 03:28 AM
OK, number one you just changed to subject back to combat and movement to suit your argument, because we were talking about stealth, and number two, you speak of high/low profile like they're the most important things in the world. What does not being able to switch between an arbitrary state actually change about gameplay? Disconnecting the trigger from the whole free-running system opens it up for use in other things. You see, consolidating sprint from two ****ons into one means MORE control options, not less. If you're wondering "how will we walk", then maybe they'll do what every game does: don't push all the way forward on the control stick. Ooooooh.

What I'm trying to get across to you, is that they have spent literally years testing out and implementing this new control scheme. You have spent a few minutes looking at basically none of what they've worked on, and are assuming that it will be crap. Can you see how your point of view simply doesn't provide enough data to make a reasonable generalization?

What about kicking and stealing? I suppose it isnt as important as anything they replace it with.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 03:31 AM
The control system was specifically designed for this game, so that the combat could be more fluid and enjoyable.

Besides, have you ever heard of a game that has 2 control systems?

Of Course!! most games have alternate control schemes.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 03:33 AM
there is no more need for the High/low profile stuff
Connor will do high profile stuff in a low profile manner he's always hunting High profile style without actually going highprofile or alerting so many people therefor there is no need for an actual difference between the 2
and also what are you 8?

yeah ha. im 8. smh No i'm mature. What are you?

Jexx21
03-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Of Course!! most games have alternate control schemes.

I've never seen them...

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 03:34 AM
I've never seen them...
Gears of war, Cod, Battle field, Shooters in general, driving games in general, so many more.

D.I.D.
03-06-2012, 03:40 AM
Gears of war, Cod, Battle field, Shooters in general, driving games in general, so many more.

Different control schemes? Those just allow reconfiguring, don't they?

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Different control schemes? Those just allow reconfiguring, don't they?

I think both.

Jexx21
03-06-2012, 03:41 AM
They don't have multiple control schemes. All of the control schemes are the same, you can just reconfigure the ****ons.

D.I.D.
03-06-2012, 03:42 AM
Maybe it wasn't working for you, but it works well enough to sell millions each year. I do agree it was too easy, and they need to find a way to make it harder, not speed it up even more. I dont think people hold AC1 in high value very often.

That was a mark of the marketing, for sure. A vote for the great combat isn't so clear.

Besides, nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the public, as they say. I've noticed a lot of people here who loved ACR couldn't even kill-streak in ACB, or thought ACB's races were too hard, or didn't like the no-detection missions. Possibly some link there.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 03:44 AM
They don't have multiple control schemes. All of the control schemes are the same, you can just reconfigure the ****ons.

Oh, now I get it. At first I didn't see much of a difference, but now I get it. Ok, then no. I haven't seen a game with multiple control schemes.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 03:48 AM
That was a mark of the marketing, for sure. A vote for the great combat isn't so clear.

Besides, nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the public, as they say. I've noticed a lot of people here who loved ACR couldn't even kill-streak in ACB, or thought ACB's races were too hard, or didn't like the no-detection missions. Possibly some link there.

Funny, and I'm being serious. I suppose you may be right. I'm somewhat of a bad gamer despite me playing games frequently, but I never had problems with kill streaks, races, or no detection missions. Wow.

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 03:50 AM
Kicking is hardly essential, and stealing will probably be one of the things the redesigned. It was waaaaay too simplistic and easy in AC2>Revs.

Your point about millions of people buying the game regardless is exactly the type of thinking we want Ubisoft to avoid. A studio should never be comfortable to pump out slight changes year after year and call them full sequels. That's how we get stuff like CoD.

GeneralTrumbo
03-06-2012, 03:54 AM
Quit whining. The controls are to help provide fluidity and combine the outside and inside of combat.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 03:58 AM
Kicking is hardly essential, and stealing will probably be one of the things the redesigned. It was waaaaay too simplistic and easy in AC2>Revs.

Your point about millions of people buying the game regardless is exactly the type of thinking we want Ubisoft to avoid. A studio should never be comfortable to pump out slight changes year after year and call them full sequels. That's how we get stuff like CoD.

I wasn't saying regardless, I was saying that it's probably good if people consistently buy it, and it is good, but the COD point is true, but I dont feel like they(ubisoft) could get away with having just a few upgrades. Each game has it's share of additions.
Am I the only one who thinks this is fun?

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 04:00 AM
Human brains love intelligent debate.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Quit whining. The controls are to help provide fluidity and combine the outside and inside of combat.

I'm not whining. I just wanted to know if Ubisoft is willing to put in the old controls for people like me.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 04:03 AM
Human brains love intelligent debate.

Indeed they do.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 04:08 AM
Would you care if Ubisoft added the old controls back in? Would it be such a waste of time and money, or is the customer truly always right? Perhaps a bit of both?

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 04:11 AM
As has been pointed out, games NEVER let you use the old control scheme. It's possible they may have some configuration options to make it more like the old one, but anything more would be a headache for programmers, and just in general more trouble than it's worth.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 04:14 AM
Maybe. We'll see.

twenty_glyphs
03-06-2012, 04:14 AM
I don't understand what you're so upset about. Where are you getting your info about the changed controls from? The GameInformer article only mentions a few things about combat controls. Nowhere does it say they've removed high profile actions or the puppeteer concept. It sounds like they've changed the function of the left trigger ****on and no longer require locking on for combat, as well as no longer requiring you to actively block by holding the right trigger. Other than that, they said that the B ****on is thhe new counter ****on and confirmed that the Y ****on is still a secondary weapon ****on. If you have more info than that, I'd like to see it.

The puppeteer concept is nice, but it still breaks down at a certain point and needs to be ignored sometimes. They've already been making subtle changes to it anyway since AC2. Why is the legs ****on used to pickpocket? Why is the head ****on a secondary weapon in Revelations? I'm sure a lot of controls will remain the same or similar in AC3, but we'll have to wait and see. I have no problem if they change the controls of combat drastically that was always the clunkiest, most boring part of the game for me.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 04:20 AM
I don't understand what you're so upset about. Where are you getting your info about the changed controls from? The GameInformer article only mentions a few things about combat controls. Nowhere does it say they've removed high profile actions or the puppeteer concept. It sounds like they've changed the function of the left trigger ****on and no longer require locking on for combat, as well as no longer requiring you to actively block by holding the right trigger. Other than that, they confirmed that the Y ****on is still a secondary weapon ****on. If you have more info than that, I'd like to see it.

The puppeteer concept is nice, but it still breaks down at a certain point and needs to be ignored sometimes. They've already been making subtle changes to it anyway since AC2. Why is the legs ****on used to pickpocket? Why is the head ****on a secondary weapon in Revelations? I'm sure a lot of controls will remain the same or similar in AC3, but we'll have to wait and see. I have no problem if they change the controls of combat drastically — that was always the clunkier, most boring part of the game for me.

It just seems like a large change and I like the way assassins creed is, and dont want them to force me to play it the new way. Yes I know I dont have to play it if I have such a big problem with it, but im not the only one and was hoping they would accommodate us. I wont go into detail on the changes of controls but it seemed very extreme to the point I wouldnt recognize it as assassins creed.

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 04:26 AM
It's not really meant to be "playing a new way", but a BETTER way to play. I feel that a game is more that what ****on makes you jump. The real soul of the game is in the style of gameplay. And from what we know, they're staying true to that, which is all that matters to me. It's not going to be so different that you don't know what to do. It's just that you'll need to use less inputs to do the same thing, which actually opens up possibilities for new gameplay features, because less ****ons are used for the basic stuff.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 04:30 AM
I suppose you know what they say about opinions.I agree but wish they found a better way to do it. :/

Jexx21
03-06-2012, 05:09 AM
We don't even know how they are going to do it. Lol.

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 05:13 AM
Exactly. You have no opinion. I have no opinion either. I'm just refusing to pass judgement on something that may be a better alternative, simply because I don't actually know if it is or isn't yet. There is no preference involved in said refusal, just logic.

D.I.D.
03-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Funny, and I'm being serious. I suppose you may be right. I'm somewhat of a bad gamer despite me playing games frequently, but I never had problems with kill streaks, races, or no detection missions. Wow.

So you're good at games, and presumably like a challenge, yet you want to see one of the most forgiving combat systems remain unchanged? Sorry, I want to get killed often. I want to feel frustration and have to think about new approaches. If there's a chance of getting that, I want the new system, whatever it is.

At least wait until E3 to see how this game really works. Freeing up some of the other controls might bring all kinds of great features. Arkham City showed a better way to do fast combat, but you could have something unique, potentially - maybe that spare trigger could slow down time a little, and then you have to aim hits in order to land them. Maybe that trigger activates a better dodging system which you're forced to use in order to survive. Nobody knows.

Importantly, when other games such as Arkham City are biting a little of AC's style and doing some core things better, AC has to improve or risk the whole series dying. There are yet more games coming which will offer more alternatives to people who enjoy the skeleton of AC's style - for example, Sleeping Dogs' gameplay, from when it was known as True Crime: Hong Kong, is unmistakably crossing AC with GTA. You can have success with games that are easy to beat, but that's a fragile kind of success if people are paying their $60 for no excitement beyond finding out the next piece of the story.

The13Doctors
03-06-2012, 11:39 AM
At least wait until E3 to see how this game really works. Freeing up some of the other controls might bring all kinds of great features. Arkham City showed a better way to do fast combat, but you could have something unique, potentially - maybe that spare trigger could slow down time a little, and then you have to aim hits in order to land them. Maybe that trigger activates a better dodging system which you're forced to use in order to survive. Nobody knows.

That would be epic!

As for dodging, I believe they put all of that into the Empty Hand But-ton. Empty Hand is now the Defense But-ton.

GeneralTrumbo
03-06-2012, 11:42 AM
That would be epic!

As for dodging, I believe they put all of that into the Empty Hand But-ton. Empty Hand is now the Defense But-ton.
I think slowing down time would be very cliche and dumb, personally. I mean, we are supposed to be like realistic assassins. They don't possess time-slowing superpowers.

D.I.D.
03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
That would be epic!

Yeah, but up until now dodging has been pretty restrictive - you're either hopping sideways in a strict strafe circle, locked at a certain distance from the targeted foe, or you break off from combat entirely and go into a run. It never felt smooth or completely responsive to me. I'm sure there must be a ton of ways that dodging could be improved, especially if two ****ons handled two different kinds of Dodge (although that might lead straight back to the kind of complication which necessitated this simpler control system in the first place).

We'll see in three month's time, I suppose!

D.I.D.
03-06-2012, 11:54 AM
I think slowing down time would be very cliche and dumb, personally. I mean, we are supposed to be like realistic assassins. They don't possess time-slowing superpowers.

I'm just offering suggestions to demonstrate that there are other possibilities. I'm not suggesting they have time-slowing abilities, I'm just suggesting a way to represent the ability of someone who's faster than your average human to us (the average humans), which the game already does with its kill animations, and add a gameplay element at the same time.

The old Max Payne games weren't about a superhero either, just a skilled gunman, but you had the limited ability to use bullet time. In that brief second or two you had to combine good timing and the crosshairs to pull off gunplay that you never could in real time. You could miss. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about: maybe the game would offer you target spots on the opponent's body/opponents' bodies, and you'd be rewarded for successfully hitting every one. I'm not saying every kill would be like that at all.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 12:12 PM
So you're good at games, and presumably like a challenge, yet you want to see one of the most forgiving combat systems remain unchanged? Sorry, I want to get killed often. I want to feel frustration and have to think about new approaches. If there's a chance of getting that, I want the new system, whatever it is.

Importantly, when other games such as Arkham City are biting a little of AC's style and doing some core things better, AC has to improve or risk the whole series dying. There are yet more games coming which will offer more alternatives to people who enjoy the skeleton of AC's style - for example, Sleeping Dogs' gameplay, from when it was known as True Crime: Hong Kong, is unmistakably crossing AC with GTA. You can have success with games that are easy to beat, but that's a fragile kind of success if people are paying their $60 for no excitement beyond finding out the next piece of the story.

I'm fine if is it changed, but I just didn't like the way they changed it and proposed we have the option to use the old controls. I dont want to get killed often, but I want it to have just the right amount of difficulty that could make the game intense. I realize freeing up Rt opens new possibilities, but I feel like its odd to change something that I feel worked so well. I basically wanted a blend between AC2, 3, and revelations for the combat.

iNJW
03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
as long as i get to slaughter people by the thousands, i couldn't care less about the controls. you also have to bare in mind that ubi wouldn't change anything too drastically if they know the people like it, from what i've seen the controls seem pretty much the same as revelations and i thought they were ok, and at the end of the day these are all opinions.

The13Doctors
03-06-2012, 01:02 PM
But they have lightning fast reflexes and movement speed. The player doesn't. It wouldn't be canonical, it could be to make the game feel more like playing as the Assassin Conner which has the skills to do that. Slowing time down a bit allows us to play more avidly, depending on where we aim it'd be a different animation, depending on that choice it decides whether you will hit the nearest enemy or counter the one about to attack, giving it another level of interaction.

Alternatively, if you do it multiple times in a big combo, after dispatching all enemies it could show off your combo in perspective view as a sort of replay. Maybe they could/would be completely custom, depending on your combo style things could be different, adding yet another level of interaction, being able to record in game like Just Cause 2 then sharing your unique Combo Style would be cool.

JCearlyyears
03-06-2012, 09:12 PM
as long as i get to slaughter people by the thousands, i couldn't care less about the controls. you also have to bare in mind that ubi wouldn't change anything too drastically if they know the people like it, from what i've seen the controls seem pretty much the same as revelations and i thought they were ok, and at the end of the day these are all opinions.

that's the most violent laid back thing i've ever heard.

AnthonyA85
03-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Do we actually KNOW what they've changed?

The only change i've seen mentioned, is that the Defensive buton is now the same as the offensive buton, but, here's the thing.

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT!

So what exactly have they changed?

Either way, it won't really bother me, since i'm using a keyboard and mouse, and the keyboard hotkeys can be customized at any time.

playassassins1
03-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Don't be worried about the game. I'm sure after one hour you master every control on your controller/keyboard. I think we will get a tutorial of some sort. I don't really care about controls, as long as the story line is good.

smengler
03-06-2012, 10:49 PM
I haven't read through this whole thread, but people need to calm down here. This guy is asking for the developers to add the old controls back if possible, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think the controls in the other AC games are great, and they're fairly simple. There's nothing wrong with making new controls for this game, but if they can, why shouldn't the developers add more control systems. Sure the controls are being redone for a good reason, but that doesn't mean there was anything wrong with the way they were before. People saying things like "A tremendous waste of time that will make a very VERY small amount of people happy", Ubisoft has about 5 months of time to waste now. If it's possible for them to do, it shouldn't take them long at all. If we're expecting them to leave things out of the game because "it will make a very VERY small amount of people happy", we should give up on this game already. It's the little things which make something great.

Eziolala
03-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Can I see a source please? I haven't seen much about the controls (well, I haven't really seen anything) and I'm interested to hear where you got this information from.

I'm not worried about the controls. There was a slight change in Revelations with eagle vision but I got used to it pretty quickly. Obviously there will be a larger change in AC3 but I'm still confident that I'll be fine with it. As others have said, I'm going to wait until we see some gameplay before having a real opinion on the controls.

JCearlyyears
03-07-2012, 01:03 AM
I haven't read through this whole thread, but people need to calm down here. This guy is asking for the developers to add the old controls back if possible, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think the controls in the other AC games are great, and they're fairly simple. There's nothing wrong with making new controls for this game, but if they can, why shouldn't the developers add more control systems. Sure the controls are being redone for a good reason, but that doesn't mean there was anything wrong with the way they were before. People saying things like "A tremendous waste of time that will make a very VERY small amount of people happy", Ubisoft has about 5 months of time to waste now. If it's possible for them to do, it shouldn't take them long at all. If we're expecting them to leave things out of the game because "it will make a very VERY small amount of people happy", we should give up on this game already. It's the little things which make something great.

THANK YOU! I don't know if i'm wrong, but as far as I know, all they have to do is copy and paste the coding, and create an extra thing in the options menu.
( I'm most likely wrong)

JCearlyyears
03-07-2012, 01:10 AM
I don't know how some of you don't care about the controls. It can change the entire way the game is played, which could mean a good or bad game. Even if the story is incredible, the gameplay can completely ruin that.

The13Doctors
03-07-2012, 02:00 AM
I don't know how some of you don't care about the controls. It can change the entire way the game is played, which could mean a good or bad game. Even if the story is incredible, the gameplay can completely ruin that.

Yes it does, in this case it opens up two more ****ons to do more.

JCearlyyears
03-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Yes it does, in this case it opens up two more ****ons to do more.

I'm fine as long as it works right, but the reason I posted this thread is because I'm scared it wont. The game is just having stuff added to it right now to make it better, so it makes a lot of sense to put in the old controls. Rt DID add a lot of expansion for the asstons. If they can do it, why not?

The13Doctors
03-07-2012, 02:57 AM
I'm fine as long as it works right, but the reason I posted this thread is because I'm scared it wont. The game is just having stuff added to it right now to make it better, so it makes a lot of sense to put in the old controls. Rt DID add a lot of expansion for the asstons. If they can do it, why not?

No, it makes sense to change them, as they did. As of ACR they had to remove the first person feature because of the lack of a ****on, in AC3 it might have been more punishing. They need more ****ons, they cleared up both triggers. All they have done is make A work for sprinting and B work for defending. No significant changes, also remember that the combat system is different, it's not a defense game anymore. We are on the offensive, we need an offensive control scheme.

JCearlyyears
03-07-2012, 03:51 AM
No, it makes sense to change them, as they did. As of ACR they had to remove the first person feature because of the lack of a ****on, in AC3 it might have been more punishing. They need more ****ons, they cleared up both triggers. All they have done is make A work for sprinting and B work for defending. No significant changes, also remember that the combat system is different, it's not a defense game anymore. We are on the offensive, we need an offensive control scheme.

It really is a matter of opinion. I have a difference in opinion. I like to have longer fights that require a different type of tactic. I realize this game has a new way of having quicker tactics, and I love improvising tactics, but I have a different play style that is a mix between AC2 and revelations, and I'd like to have it that way, as many other people do. The either don't go on forums, or haven't seen this, but they exist. I don't see a problem with accommodating people who have a different play style. That's not to say I don't want to try the new system, but that I want to play it like the other games. This new scheme just doesn't seem like assassin's creed in my opinion. We all have different views of what AC is. I see it as a slightly stealthy assassination game with a character who know exactly what to do when caught. I used to see it as a game where I can run around stabbing and shooting anyone I felt like, hence my approx. 15,000 kill count in ACB. So it can be played as a stealth or a high profile murder fest. so far, ac3 seems like a high profile game where combat is meant to be quick, no more standing around waiting for someone to strike, you strike first and end it fast, which is fine, but isn't my preferred play style. I like combat to last about as long as it does in AC2. That's my opinion. I used to like it to be really quick and brutal and thought it would be great if the combat were even faster, but now I like the way the first 2 are. I think it makes sense to allow those of us who don't want the control change to use the old control change. I don't know why you would have us be forced to change when ubisoft has several months to make the game as good as possible and put back in the old controls back in. It isn't like you would have to use the old controls.

JCearlyyears
03-08-2012, 04:07 AM
I added some extra information from the creative director in case you missed it. He says “I think we can make a much better fight. So we’ll be ripping that apart and rebuilding it from the ground up”. and
will change “core mechanical stuff to do with the fighting”. >:(

D.I.D.
03-08-2012, 04:21 AM
If they gave you the old system as an option, I expect they'd have a ton of extra work to do trying to make the missions balanced around two different systems. That would be a messy compromise. They've designed a new system, they think it's better, and the missions are designed with this system in mind.

As you can see from this thread, there's no support for sticking to the old system now that we know a new one exists, there's only a little support for having the option of the old system, and there are a lot of people who are really looking forward to seeing how the new system works. You might as well wait a few months before resurrecting this thread again, and see if people agree with you after E3.

Legendz54
03-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Everyone was complaining about how AC was repetetive now you have what you want ( A fresh new game thats been in production for 3 years) yet you still complain. Anyway I'm looking forward to the new combat and navigation. The fighting is going to be much more intense and guards are going to be smarter. Im excited for the change. I hope that whatever change there is will come to your Liking when the game comes out.

Moultonborough
03-08-2012, 06:26 AM
I just wonder if they will keep the "duel wheel" that we got in AC:R?

LightRey
03-08-2012, 09:51 AM
I just wonder if they will keep the "duel wheel" that we got in AC:R?

I think that would depend on whether we'll have some kind of secondary weapon/dual wielding system in ACIII.

Moultonborough
03-08-2012, 09:57 AM
We do have dual wielding. Just look at the trailer.

LightRey
03-08-2012, 10:14 AM
We do have dual wielding. Just look at the trailer.

The trailer was CG, not gameplay. It may have been rendered by the game's engine, but we've seen Assassins fight with 2 different weapons at the same time before. Until they show actual gameplay of it, nothing is confirmed.

Epsilonyx
03-08-2012, 12:29 PM
The trailer was CG, not gameplay. It may have been rendered by the game's engine, but we've seen Assassins fight with 2 different weapons at the same time before. Until they show actual gameplay of it, nothing is confirmed.

http://media.nintendo-gamer.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Assassins-Creed-3-featured-image.jpg

Its also been confirmed Y is still the bu.t.ton for secondary weapons.

frogger504
03-08-2012, 12:46 PM
If they gave you the old system as an option, I expect they'd have a ton of extra work to do trying to make the missions balanced around two different systems. That would be a messy compromise. They've designed a new system, they think it's better, and the missions are designed with this system in mind.

As you can see from this thread, there's no support for sticking to the old system now that we know a new one exists, there's only a little support for having the option of the old system, and there are a lot of people who are really looking forward to seeing how the new system works. You might as well wait a few months before resurrecting this thread again, and see if people agree with you after E3.

It's not really possible, they'd have to completely redo the game to accommodate to a few people.The game mechanics are completely new, they'd have to completely rework it into the game and add it onto the current one, it would double the memory and triple the work.

LightRey
03-08-2012, 01:43 PM
http://media.nintendo-gamer.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Assassins-Creed-3-featured-image.jpg

Its also been confirmed Y is still the bu.t.ton for secondary weapons.

It already was in ACR. That still doesn't mean there's actual dual wielding and this picture could still just be a CG render. Until it is confirmed by either someone form Ubi or a gameplay video we don't have any conclusive proof of dual wielding. Again, we had the same deal with ACR. There were several pics in which we could see dual wielding, but it wasn't in the game.

D.I.D.
03-08-2012, 02:41 PM
I really don't understand why there's this desire out there for dual-wielding anyway. I see this a lot among game players for lots of different titles, and in most cases it makes no sense.

I understand it with shooters, where the pistol weapons tend to have the greatest accuracy (except for rifles) but the weakest hit, since skilful players will love to dual-wield small weapons to become more deadly than an unskilled player with a heavy machine gun. I don't understand why this is a big deal with mle fighting games. It's just different animations with the same result.

LightRey
03-08-2012, 02:47 PM
I really don't understand why there's this desire out there for dual-wielding anyway. I see this a lot among game players for lots of different titles, and in most cases it makes no sense.

I understand it with shooters, where the pistol weapons tend to have the greatest accuracy (except for rifles) but the weakest hit, since skilful players will love to dual-wield small weapons to become more deadly than an unskilled player with a heavy machine gun. I don't understand why this is a big deal with mle fighting games. It's just different animations with the same result.

I dunno. It's just something that would be cool. I would certainly like the feature.

JCearlyyears
03-09-2012, 03:05 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the new system, but I posted this in hopes they would put the old controls in to have something to fall back on if the new ones suck.
Also, can you explain to me why they would have to redo the game to use the old controls? It doesn't make sense to me.

D.I.D.
03-09-2012, 03:24 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the new system, but I posted this in hopes they would put the old controls in to have something to fall back on if the new ones suck.
Also, can you explain to me why they would have to redo the game to use the old controls? It doesn't make sense to me.

It's impossible to answer this definitively, since we simply don't know what these new controls are, or how they affect play. What we do know is that the old system was almost absurdly easy - you could be attacked by dozens of guards and still not be at any risk of death. The new one might be more reliant on skill. The newly freed-up ****ons might allow us to do things we never could do before. All the potentially could be lost if there's a decent learning curve, since many lazy players would give in and go back to what they know rather than persisting with the new system to truly earn their wins. I still remember the fun of being new to AC and finding some aspects tricky at first, and then the buzz of overcoming those issues. I look forward to feeling that sense of accomplishment again.

You know from experience that missions are based around a combination of teaching you the controls and testing your learning, underneath the surface of the plot. The games have often handed us new abilities during the game to represent the character's learning, allowing us to do things or reach places which were previously impossible.

If they had to keep in mind both the old, restrictive system and the new, potentially less restrictive system when designing missions, they might have to throw out ideas involving unique features of the new system which could not be achieved with the old system, or ones where the no-death nature of the old system would be the equivalent of God Mode. There would have to be extra research, extra play-testing and extra tweaking to try and balance missions where possible for both control systems.

The bottom line is that if they pander to fans of the old system now, they would be obliged to keep making it an option in future games too. It would make the design look weak, as though Ubisoft did not believe in its innovations.

JCearlyyears
03-09-2012, 03:49 AM
It's impossible to answer this definitively, since we simply don't know what these new controls are, or how they affect play. What we do know is that the old system was almost absurdly easy - you could be attacked by dozens of guards and still not be at any risk of death. The new one might be more reliant on skill. The newly freed-up ****ons might allow us to do things we never could do before. All the potentially could be lost if there's a decent learning curve, since many lazy players would give in and go back to what they know rather than persisting with the new system to truly earn their wins. I still remember the fun of being new to AC and finding some aspects tricky at first, and then the buzz of overcoming those issues. I look forward to feeling that sense of accomplishment again.

You know from experience that missions are based around a combination of teaching you the controls and testing your learning, underneath the surface of the plot. The games have often handed us new abilities during the game to represent the character's learning, allowing us to do things or reach places which were previously impossible.

If they had to keep in mind both the old, restrictive system and the new, potentially less restrictive system when designing missions, they might have to throw out ideas involving unique features of the new system which could not be achieved with the old system, or ones where the no-death nature of the old system would be the equivalent of God Mode. There would have to be extra research, extra play-testing and extra tweaking to try and balance missions where possible for both control systems.

The bottom line is that if they pander to fans of the old system now, they would be obliged to keep making it an option in future games too. It would make the design look weak, as though Ubisoft did not believe in its innovations.

I'm still not entirely sure. I read some of the game informer and see that there are new features maybe not possible with the old controls. still, I cant help but hope they do.

Epsilonyx
03-09-2012, 05:09 AM
It already was in ACR. That still doesn't mean there's actual dual wielding and this picture could still just be a CG render. Until it is confirmed by either someone form Ubi or a gameplay video we don't have any conclusive proof of dual wielding. Again, we had the same deal with ACR. There were several pics in which we could see dual wielding, but it wasn't in the game.

What was already in ACR? This is obviously a screenshot, as it was released along with a bunch of other ones. And show me a picture of ACR with dual-wielding

D.I.D.
03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
What was already in ACR? This is obviously a screenshot, as it was released along with a bunch of other ones. And show me a picture of ACR with dual-wielding

I think Light Rey means that the combat often used two weapons in its kill animations, sword plus pistol for example, or allowing you to throw knives while using a short blade.

Epsilonyx
03-09-2012, 11:14 AM
I think Light Rey means that the combat often used two weapons in its kill animations, sword plus pistol for example, or allowing you to throw knives while using a short blade.
Be that as it may, its been mentioned by Game Informer and its blatantly used in the trailer.

JCearlyyears
03-09-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't think they'd pull an Ac1 (crossbow in the trailer, not in the game) and not put dual wielding in the game.

Epsilonyx
03-09-2012, 11:33 AM
^^^Da.mn straight

LightRey
03-09-2012, 11:50 AM

Exactly. Just because it looks like dual wielding doesn't mean that it is. It could simply be part of a special "combo" or the like.

PhiIs1618033
03-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Controls may be very good. You'll just have to learn the new control scheme, which doesn't take that long (my awesome shock and awe skills from AC1 don't transfer to later games either). What I'm worried about is that context-sensitivity is mucked up. Sure, the majority of the players, say 80%, may think in a certain way that makes the action performed in a certain context logical, but then you're still missing 20% of the players who think otherwise.

ForgiveMePlz
03-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm also worried as the OP about the controls, but not becasue i can't adapt... i very much loved the marionette scheme and i'm very sad that even in AcR ubisoft abandoned it to put bombs where should be the Head action.

Now with the lack of low and high, combat and social profiles makes me wonder even more.... before we could do about 16 actions in the game (4 social-low profile, 4 social high profile, 4 combat low, and 4 combat high), that pretty much was the best part of the controls of the game.

I won't decide if i should flame the new controls or love them since i don't know how they are going to be but for what we have been told, it seems i won't like them, ofc this are only speculations ;X

JCearlyyears
03-09-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm also worried as the OP about the controls, but not becasue i can't adapt... i very much loved the marionette scheme and i'm very sad that even in AcR ubisoft abandoned it to put bombs where should be the Head action.

Now with the lack of low and high, combat and social profiles makes me wonder even more.... before we could do about 16 actions in the game (4 social-low profile, 4 social high profile, 4 combat low, and 4 combat high), that pretty much was the best part of the controls of the game.

I won't decide if i should flame the new controls or love them since i don't know how they are going to be but for what we have been told, it seems i won't like them, ofc this are only speculations ;X

I remember when I was told that the controls were changed in acr t put bombs on the head and I was pissed. imagine how i felt when I heard about this. the others gave some good points to look forward to it so I do, but I want something to fall back on if the new controls are crap. I don't know entirely how they've changed, but from what i've heard, it's : a= sprint, b= defense,= x is defense also (dont ask me how) while also being attack, no more rt for high profile and no more targeting. O.o just what ive heard

ForgiveMePlz
03-09-2012, 11:27 PM
I remember when I was told that the controls were changed in acr t put bombs on the head and I was pissed. imagine how i felt when I heard about this. the others gave some good points to look forward to it so I do, but I want something to fall back on if the new controls are crap. I don't know entirely how they've changed, but from what i've heard, it's : a= sprint, b= defense,= x is defense also (dont ask me how) while also being attack, no more rt for high profile and no more targeting. O.o just what ive heard

At GameInformer we get to know that there will be no more combat mode to keep things more fast-peaced and fluid.... the high and low profile is from this thead that i read. And the defend and counter will be at the same key (to avoid writting b.u.t.t.u.n :P) to avoid turtling fighting (if you are defendng and want to counter you have to unpress and press the key again).

Let's not get away from what ubisoft said and start making rumors... we gotta wait to monday to see if we know anything else about the game ._.

JCearlyyears
03-09-2012, 11:59 PM
At GameInformer we get to know that there will be no more combat mode to keep things more fast-peaced and fluid.... the high and low profile is from this thead that i read. And the defend and counter will be at the same key (to avoid writting b.u.t.t.u.n :P) to avoid turtling fighting (if you are defendng and want to counter you have to unpress and press the key again).

Let's not get away from what ubisoft said and start making rumors... we gotta wait to monday to see if we know anything else about the game ._.

oh, well that sounds better. who turtles? I dont turtle, I fight, I hit first.

ForgiveMePlz
03-10-2012, 12:05 AM

I've seen many ppl complaining at this very same forum that turtling fight style was the easiest way to play any Ac game (barely fixed at AcR), so they decided trying to take it away...

I wouldn't worry that much about controls until we have new info ;)

Epsilonyx
03-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Ah, I see now. I didn't actually know what turtling was, but now I see how defend/counter will work. I've always turtled and used kill-streaks, since a combo-kill takes like 4 hits. So if high/low profile is out, and sprint is A, that removes pickpocketing. I'm going to assume X is attack again, they wouldn't stray from that. Combat seems quite simple now, B to defend/counter, X to attack with primary weapon, Y to attack with secondary, A to flee. What does RT become? Shoot gun/bow? And target locking is out, so LT needs a new function too. God, how will high-profile assassinations work? If RT is out and A is sprint, its going to be difficult to run at someone and stab them. This is all incredibly confusing to me, I don't think they should have done this massive overhaul.

SixKeys
03-10-2012, 01:54 AM

Turtling is the fastest way to end the fight. The Janissaries in ACR are pretty much the only guards in the entire series you can't counter (unless you get lucky). The agile guards keep dodging your attacks, the seekers have long spears that they use to deflect your attacks. If you don't want to spend 10 minutes trying to wail on those guys, the quickest way is to just stand there and wait for an opportunity to counter. The problem is that currently the combat is either easy and unchallenging or tedious and boring, depending on your tactics. Turtling makes it easy, attacking head-on makes fights last forever. I hope that in AC3 Connor's fighting style will be more fluid and the guards more challenging so that fighting doesn't feel like a chore but an exciting activity.

JCearlyyears
03-10-2012, 02:29 AM
I think it should be easy to kill people when you need them dead fast, but if you want to fight people,it should not be frustratingly hard or ridiculously easy, but an exciting challenge. His fighting style should be fluid, but allow fights to be challenging.

cless711
03-10-2012, 02:37 AM
Oh well. It will be like learning Assassins Creed all over again i guess xD

I used to turtle.. But once i started getting better with the game i mixed in combo kills (i think that's what it's called) and counters while attacking the enemy.

JCearlyyears
03-10-2012, 02:49 AM
I have another question. If the new controls were just complete trash and NOBODY liked them, and EVERYBODY who played it complained here, do you think they'd add in the old controls?

Jexx21
03-10-2012, 05:29 AM
I have another question. If the new controls were just complete trash and NOBODY liked them, and EVERYBODY who played it complained here, do you think they'd add in the old controls?
no

JCearlyyears
03-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Same here. I don't think they'd do it.

ToniTorsi
03-10-2012, 04:33 PM
I think it should be easy to kill people when you need them dead fast, but if you want to fight people,it should not be frustratingly hard or ridiculously easy, but an exciting challenge. His fighting style should be fluid, but allow fights to be challenging.

This, my goodness lord.

I hope Montreal reads this, tbh. :p

ForgiveMePlz
03-10-2012, 05:11 PM

next month the game will be finished and they will start refining it, i hope they make a private beta team to check if everyone works out as they planned... i'm sure ubisoft won't release to us controls worst then the old ones ;)

JCearlyyears
03-10-2012, 05:45 PM
next month the game will be finished and they will start refining it, i hope they make a private beta team to check if everyone works out as they planned... i'm sure ubisoft won't release to us controls worst then the old ones ;)

It's definitely opinion on if the controls are better or not.

JCearlyyears
03-10-2012, 10:22 PM
If any of you come across any new info on the controls, would you post them here as a comment?

Jexx21
03-10-2012, 11:19 PM
no.

JCearlyyears
03-10-2012, 11:28 PM
ha ha ha. Thanks.

RzaRecta357
03-10-2012, 11:53 PM
There isn't much changed is there? Just block and counter do the same thing now. So you can either keep guarding or start attacking in a way that is all new designed for Conner to make it seem much more fluid and low like a wolf.

I'm more worried about the no lock on. I wonder how you'll choose who you want to stab.

JCearlyyears
03-11-2012, 03:09 AM
There isn't much changed is there? Just block and counter do the same thing now. So you can either keep guarding or start attacking in a way that is all new designed for Conner to make it seem much more fluid and low like a wolf.

I'm more worried about the no lock on. I wonder how you'll choose who you want to stab.
There is also no high profile which makes me wonder how I will be low profile. I never thought about how I now can't choose who to kill. That is a problem.

JCearlyyears
03-11-2012, 03:30 AM
I like to fist fight people, but never understood why he doesn't fight to kill. I would imagine he would use deadly techniques and brutal fight ending moves, but he just punches and kicks them. I've been told it's because they wear armor, but you don't need weapons to hurt people. The human weapon can be devastating.

pdw1992
03-11-2012, 03:35 AM
Everyone should just calm down. It is pointless to bicker at this point, since no gameplay has been released. They revamped a lot of the game, so they revamped the controls to fit the needs of the game. from what I heard, combat is based on the momentum of the player, so my guess is that they are aiming combat to be far more fluid than before. Which means, they would need to change the controls to prevent people from just holing themselves up with block. So, how about we all just wait another month or two for more information, like others have pointed out. If you are unhappy with what you see, bring this topic back up. In the meantime, have patience and remember that the people who are creating this game most probably made the original control scheme. So, have faith that they know what they are doing.

LightRey
03-11-2012, 11:02 AM

That's just an outright lie.

rob.davies2014
03-11-2012, 01:50 PM
What? It's a question. A question can't be a lie. The proposed situation may be improbable but it's not contradicting a truth.

cless711
03-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Since the controls will change in ACIII I hope they have like a tutorial segment like they did in AC 1. It would probably help since the controls are completely different now but i am not sure if it would fit the story.

JCearlyyears
03-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Since the controls will change in ACIII I hope they have like a tutorial segment like they did in AC 1. It would probably help since the controls are completely different now but i am not sure if it would fit the story.

I wanted a tutorial segment too, and also wanted VT back.

ForgiveMePlz
03-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Nice to see that you calmed down JClearlyyears :D Rage makes you no good ;)

JCearlyyears
03-11-2012, 03:58 PM
I realized that Ubisoft knows what they are doing and it will most likely turn out fine even though the old main gameplay things are gone. `~`

pacmanate
03-11-2012, 06:05 PM
The OP looks like a game manual

JCearlyyears
03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
ha ha ha, and I didn't even use a manual.