PDA

View Full Version : Historical Inaccuracy in the Trailer?

LaCava1
03-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Hey, guys! I'm back!

I was watching the trailer, and (while nearly passing out due to awesomeness) noticed that the soldiers seemed to be firing with their bayonets in (Even when Connor stabbed the guy through the head, then blasted him). If I'm not mistaken, bayonets could not be used while firing.

I was just wondering if anyone could confirm/disprove if that was true.

Thanks!

RagingDragon14
03-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Plug in Bayonets, were basically knives that you stuck into the musket, and could not be used while firing.

Ring bayonets go around the mouth of the gun and can be used while firing. Hope that helps.

Steww-
03-05-2012, 10:54 PM
The Socket Bayonet
"The socket bayonet first appears in the ranks of the French army in the 1670’s and afterwards came into general use throughout Europe. The standard form of the socket bayonet comprised a short steel tube 3-4 inches long fitting over the barrel of the musket on to which was welded a steel blade. The socket is then locked on to the muzzle by means of a "zig-zag" slot which engages with the foresight stud. This innovation would now allow the musket to be fired and reloaded without removing the bayonet. "

Source: http://thearmouryonline.co.uk/BayonetHistory.htm

Evenesque
03-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Hey, guys! I'm back!

I was watching the trailer, and (while nearly passing out due to awesomeness) noticed that the soldiers seemed to be firing with their bayonets in (Even when Connor stabbed the guy through the head, then blasted him). If I'm not mistaken, bayonets could not be used while firing.

I was just wondering if anyone could confirm/disprove if that was true.

Thanks!

Depends on the bayonet. If it's a chassepot, then no, because you're affixing a combat knife to the barrel of the gun and the hilt gets in the way. If it's a socket bayonet, like the ones circa 1777. then yes, you can. It's made to slide over the muzzle and ride under the exit, allowing a ball to leave the barrel without hitting anything.

Ender_Graff
03-05-2012, 10:55 PM
No, I think some bayonetes could be mounted at the bottom of the weapon, not in the barrel.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/Chassepot_bayonet_assembly.jpg/800px-Chassepot_bayonet_assembly.jpg

HardRtihal
03-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Thats not the only historical inaccuracy I saw. I'm going to assume that the battle scene at the end of the trailer was taking place in Mohawk Valley. The only problem with that is that George Washington did not lead that battle.

The american army in the Battle of Oriskany was lead by Nicholar Herkimer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Oriskany

Steww-
03-05-2012, 11:47 PM
It looked like the opening was Mohawk Valley, before moving on to the site of the battle. Judging by the speech from Washington, it's probably the Battle of Long Island.

HardRtihal
03-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Yes, that's another problem I had with that. One of the trailer reveiws I watched said that Washington delivered that particular quote to his army prior to the battle of New York. That would place it on August 1st. Not exactly snow time...

Steww-
03-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Hmm, from the little I've looked at the battle it's fair enough to say it wasn't snowing. I think that's being overly picky though, since this trailer was probably trying to show off the snow effects :/

Jexx21
03-06-2012, 01:10 AM
You have to remember, the history that is learned in schools was re-written by the Templars for what-so-ever reason.

ace3001
03-06-2012, 02:13 AM
You have to remember, the history that is learned in schools was re-written by the Templars for what-so-ever reason.This. :D Anyway, Ubi might rewrite a few things, but I'm not really worried about that. The game will be epic regardless.

kriegerdesgottes
03-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Also just because some things appear certain ways in a cinematic trailer that exists to show off new game mechanics doesn't mean they will necessarily be that way in the game so I guess we will have to wait and see how the game actually turns out.

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 02:28 AM
Your years of watching CG game trailers should be telling you that the trailer is often not exactly what happens in the game, scene for scene, line for line.