PDA

View Full Version : The protagonist of AC3 needs to looks the hood and should wear a Tricorn hat

salted onions
03-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Edit: The protagonist needs to lose the hood*, whoops.

I think it would look much better, and I've seen several people agree. Discuss
The point would be forward facing, and it would be tilted a bit downward in the game to cast a shadow on his eyes.

P.S. if anyone would like to photoshop/draw Connor with a tricorn hat, it would be most appreciated, if I even had a shred of talent in either of those I'd try it myself :D.

6/2/12 EDIT:
http://www.analoghype.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Assassins-Creed-3-Liberation-Protagonist.jpg
http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/avatars/df/df95c738e2bd101b1b4c54878c391df5bdab5493_full.jpg
EDIT AGAIN 6/2/12
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/03/videogames/Felix/Landingpages/Ubisoft/AC3_preorder._SX700_.jpg
Yay for tricorns! Too bad I have no idea if this preorder bonus will be available in the US (or for PC) :C.
Captain of the Aquila ULC Pack
Single Player Weapon: Boarding Axe
Single player skin: The captain of the Aquila's uniform
according to Australian retailer HiFi

IF it's in Amazon Germany and at Australia's HiFi, hopefully it'll come to the US too!
I know that's definitely where I'm going to preorder the game from!

Subject-22
03-05-2012, 07:07 AM
how do we know hes the protgonist?

Jexx21
03-05-2012, 07:09 AM
how do we know hes the protgonist?

...are you for real.

It's obvious by the fact that he's on the cover of the game. have you even read anything about the game?

And no, the hood is iconic.

GeneralTrumbo
03-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Desmond is the protagonist, not Connor.

Jexx21
03-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Desmond is the protagonist, not Connor.

They both are. Desmond is the 2012 protagonist and Connor is the American Revolution protagonist.

GeneralTrumbo
03-05-2012, 07:12 AM
They both are. Desmond is the 2012 protagonist and Connor is the American Revolution protagonist.
I guess that would be the case.

salted onions
03-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Desmond hasn't even worn the hood in the past 4 games, though he may decide to slip it on during this last outing of his. And I despite how 'iconic' the hood is, I still feel like it's unnecessary. It's not like the lack of a hood would make it unrecognizable from previous games. What strikes me the most when comparing the assassin's are the dark shadows hiding their faces. A tricorn hat can do this very easily if implemented well.

Edit: The Tricorn would also give a distinct difference to the game, analogous how it's a big departure to the series in general despite trying to keep the same 'feel' of the game.

GeneralTrumbo
03-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Desmond hasn't even worn the hood in the past 4 games, though he may decide to slip it on during this last outing of his. And I despite how 'iconic' the hood is, I still feel like it's unnecessary. It's not like the lack of a hood would make it unrecognizable from previous games. What strikes me the most when comparing the assassin's are the dark shadows hiding their faces. A tricorn hat can do this very easily if implemented well.
They better decide to make Desmond have his hood up in this one. It just wouldn't be right if he didn't.

Jexx21
03-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Desmond hasn't worn it because he hasn't had to yet. And when he does get the hood, it'll probably just be a hoodie with an eagle beak.

salted onions
03-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Also edited my previous post, but I'll just elaborate.

The Tricorn would give a distinct difference that sets it apart from previous titles, sort of like how Ubisoft wants the game to be distinct and different. They wanted to give it a feeling that'll make new players want to pick it up, and feel like they haven't missed anything, while old players enjoy the fact that the formula hasn't strayed too far, but is distinctly different and fresh. A well placed tricorn would do wonders in conveying this message on the box art. Connor will be the same iconic style of assassin everyone has known and love, with the shadow casted on his face, weapon in hand, clad in the iconic white outfit. However, he will also be different in a radical way in that he is no longer hooded.

Imagery and conveyance aside, I just think it would just look aesthetically better. Not everybody needs a hood to look awesome.

Jexx21
03-05-2012, 07:21 AM
It would set it apart too much. They want AC3 to feel like an evolution of the game, not a revolution.

For example, if they forcibly make Connor wear a tricorn hat, I'd consider not purchasing AC3. It would feel way too different to me. Sure, I wouldn't mind it as an option, but keep the hood up as a default and keep it on the box art.

But once I see him wearing a tricorn hat on the box art, I'm gonna be like: What da fudge? What did they do to being an Assassin? This feels so wrong.

salted onions
03-05-2012, 07:30 AM
But I thought being an assassin meant being covert, under the radar, and stealthy? You don't see Lucy, Shaun, or Rebecca running around with hoods. Maybe you'll see Desmond but I'm sure he'll look just as ridiculous running around 20th Century New York in a hood. It made sense in AC1, it was okay in AC2 through ACR. However now they're in the New World, and during this time period is running around hooded like that, or at least nobody who is trying to be as stealthy. I used to think that the Assassin's preferred method of stealth was hide in plain sight. I'm aware wearing his white robe does his help his case, but the hood makes it feel like he's not even trying to hide anymore. I'm hoping they make it make more sense using his Native American roots as an excuse at least. Even then it'll probably be a stretch.

But I digress, I'll just say it again that I mostly think it'll look nicer.

Moultonborough
03-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Desmond would look like a idiot in a Tricorn, and so would Conner. That would be the one thing that could kill the game for me. The hood is iconic and needs to stay where it is.

GeneralTrumbo
03-05-2012, 07:58 AM
It would set it apart too much. They want AC3 to feel like an evolution of the game, not a revolution.

For example, if they forcibly make Connor wear a tricorn hat, I'd consider not purchasing AC3. It would feel way too different to me. Sure, I wouldn't mind it as an option, but keep the hood up as a default and keep it on the box art.

But once I see him wearing a tricorn hat on the box art, I'm gonna be like: What da fudge? What did they do to being an Assassin? This feels so wrong.
You sure you will be able to handle all the drastic changes that will be coming in AC3? Its going to feel like a completely different game this time around.

GeneralTrumbo
03-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Why the hell would you put Desmond or Connor in a Tricorn hat?

salted onions
03-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Desmond will be tricorn free, I assure you. But Connor should not in my opinion. The hood looks silly for multiple reasons

- Aesthetically displeasing (subjective)
- Not stealthy, considering an assassin believes in "Hiding in plain sight"
- Very out of place in general, much more so than it was in previous AC titles
- Because tricorns would look good with outfit Connor has (subjective)
- It would just make sense setting wise

Nobody has ever thought Jack Sparrow looked strange (relatively in his Pirate's universe) and he wore a tricorn hat. Why? BECAUSE EVERYONE WORE A TRICORN HAT! What do we see in the screenshots presented to use by GameInformer? TRICORN HATS! Suddenly, thousands of them! He would fit in with the crowd, mainstaining his stealth while keeping his assassin persona through his white outfit and his shadowy faced figure.

lettermen0412
03-05-2012, 08:06 AM
They want AC3 to feel like an evolution of the game, not a revolution.

Irony.

Anyways sooner or later, like it or not, they're going to get rid of the hood. Like "Child" said the modern characters arn't running around with their assassin hoods on.

EzioAssassin51
03-05-2012, 08:20 AM
This is as silly as the 'OMG NO HIDDEN BLADE' thread. No, they shouldn't get rid of the hood, i don't care about your arguments, it's not assassin-like. Losing the hood would be like losing the hidden blade, it's an icon and something they shouldn't (which i don't think they will) get rid of.

I can difinitely see Connor wearing one during an infiltration, dressed as a soldier, which I'm almost 100% sure will happen at some point :p

salted onions
03-05-2012, 08:25 AM
This is as silly as the 'OMG NO HIDDEN BLADE' thread. No, they shouldn't get rid of the hood, i don't care about your arguments, it's not assassin-like. Losing the hood would be like losing the hidden blade, it's an icon and something they shouldn't (which i don't think they will) get rid of.

I can difinitely see Connor wearing one during an infiltration, dressed as a soldier, which I'm almost 100% sure will happen at some point :p

The difference with the hidden blade is that it's pretty much an assassin staple, where as a hoodie was shown to not be one. Yusuf in ACR did not have one. Nor did Bartolomeo, Machiavelli, Shaun Hasting, that one really important Assassin guy from the Daniel Cross Comics who's name I can't remember, nor Malik. I know the hood makes it easier to identify that it's an Assassin's Creed product. OMG A WHITE GUY IN A HOOD? IT MUST BE AC. I'm just saying that it would look way better, would've made way more sense, and I don't think it's as big of a deal as people make the hood out to be. The only reason the design guys at Ubisoft left the hood in is because it was probably on their check list of "THINGS THAT CONNOR MUST HAVE", which include a hidden blade, and copious amounts of white.

pirate1802
03-05-2012, 08:30 AM

Like it happened in every AC except AC 1. Ontopic, I'm abit on both sides. While the hood looks out of place, getting rid of it would be an extreme decision, the game simply doesn't feel like an AC game without the hood and the hidden blade. They however can put in the option to change headgear maybe? Also, note that the hood looked equally out of place in all the previous ACs, Especially Ezio in ACB.

pirate1802
03-05-2012, 08:33 AM
The difference with the hidden blade is that it's pretty much an assassin staple, where as a hoodie was shown to not be one. Yusuf in ACR did not have one. Nor did Bartolomeo, Machiavelli, Shaun Hasting, that one really important Assassin guy from the Daniel Cross Comics who's name I can't remember, nor Malik. I know the hood makes it easier to identify that it's an Assassin's Creed product. OMG A WHITE GUY IN A HOOD? IT MUST BE AC. I'm just saying that it would look way better, would've made way more sense, and I don't think it's as big of a deal as people make the hood out to be. The only reason the design guys at Ubisoft left the hood in is because it was probably on their check list of "THINGS THAT CONNOR MUST HAVE" including a hidden blade, and copious amounts of white.

Malik had the hood on, if you look at the beginning mission. Only when he was off-duty, when he was assigned as Rafiq did he remove his hood. Also, we need to remember Desmond, Rebecca, Lucy, Shawn none are in their combat gear, they are all in their casuals, who knows how they will look like when they mean business.

salted onions
03-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Like it happened in every AC except AC 1. Ontopic, I'm abit on both sides. While the hood looks out of place, getting rid of it would be an extreme decision, the game simply doesn't feel like an AC game without the hood and the hidden blade. They however can put in the option to change headgear maybe? Also, note that the hood looked equally out of place in all the previous ACs, Especially Ezio in ACB.

I thought the hood worked well in AC1 and ACR especially, while they were rather strange looking in AC2 and ACB. But I feel as though it's exceptionally more out of place in this case. However, in AC1 through ACB, the only other options for the design team besides going for the hood would be to go hoodless, which would look equally strange. In Assassin's Creed 3, they aren't restricted to "hoods" being the only headwear option. Tricorns would've been better to keep with the setting, while keeping the character aesthetically pleasing with a shadow covering his face.

salted onions
03-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Malik had the hood on, if you look at the beginning mission. Only when he was off-duty, when he was assigned as Rafiq did he remove his hood. Also, we need to remember Desmond, Rebecca, Lucy, Shawn none are in their combat gear, they are all in their casuals, who knows how they will look like when they mean business.

I hope they don't look incredibly silly running around in hoodies then :P

sticks165
03-05-2012, 08:40 AM
pretty sure native americans didn't wear tricorn hats.

unless he were to make a trade for something

masterfenix2009
03-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Irony.

Anyways sooner or later, like it or not, they're going to get rid of the hood. Like "Child" said the modern characters arn't running around with their assassin hoods on.
Thats like saying "Call of Duty, sooner or later, will get rid of the guns."

pirate1802
03-05-2012, 08:42 AM
I hope they don't look incredibly silly running around in hoodies then :P

Take a look at Assassins Creed: Generations to decide whether they do :P

lettermen0412
03-05-2012, 08:43 AM

They've already started the transformation. Who needs a SCAR when you can just call in some predetor drones or an RC car strapped with explosives?

pirate1802
03-05-2012, 08:45 AM

Problem is that AC is moving from past to present, While CoD is static in the present (more or less), so CoD can keep using guns as long as they want but as AC comes to present they have to bring about some changes in their gameplay.

salted onions
03-05-2012, 08:47 AM

Guns are integral to CODs gameplay. Hoods however, are not.

pretty sure native americans didn't wear tricorn hats

Connor isn't trying to blend in with the Native Americans. Plus he's half European.

Take a look at Assassins Creed: Generations to decide whether they do :P

I think if I saw people performing parkour in Central Park wearing that, it would look cool, but it would draw the attention of everybody within a mile radius. :P

EzioAssassin51
03-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Guns are integral to CODs gameplay. Hoods however, are not.

Connor isn't trying to blend in with the Native Americans. Plus he's half European.

I think if I saw people performing parkour in Central Park wearing that, it would look cool, but it would draw the attention of everybody within a mile radius. :P

Yeah,cause people wouldn't notice you doing parkour or killing people because you're wearing normal clothes, like a tripoint hat in that time period...

The13Doctors
03-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Yeah,cause people wouldn't notice you doing parkour or killing people because you're wearing normal clothes, like a tripoint hat in that time period...

Exactly, the point of the hood is to stay hidden, concealed. Hides your face and helps you stay in the shadows. In modern day you can't go around killing anyone with a hood, the Templars won't be noticing it. Especially in the 21th Century, hoods are common. Back then I'm not sure but it's not like he's wearing robes here. A head accessory won't be something to call someone over on, especially a hood, the Coat is conspicuous.

EzioAssassin51
03-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Exactly, the point of the hood is to stay hidden, concealed. Hides your face and helps you stay in the shadows. In modern day you can't go around killing anyone with a hood, the Templars won't be noticing it. Especially in the 21th Century, hoods are common. Back then I'm not sure but it's not like he's wearing robes here. A head accessory won't be something to call someone over on, especially a hood, the Coat is conspicuous.

Sorry, that was meant as sarcasm, as in people will still notice you running, jumping and stabbing no matter what you're wearing.

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Sorry, that was meant as sarcasm, as in people will still notice you running, jumping and stabbing no matter what you're wearing.
Exactly...I mean..they've been wearing the hood since the 12th Century...suddenly people will start noticing it in the 18th century?

GeneralTrumbo
03-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Desmond will wear his hood most likely in modern-times...why wouldn't they in Connor's time? In Ezio's time everyone didn't wear hoods, only Ezio, so why would that change with Connor?

LightRey
03-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Only if he still has the hood, but just not on. Else it's HERESY!

pirate1802
03-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Also, if you look closely, Desmond already has a hood on his back, just not raised :P

LightRey
03-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Also, if you look closely, Desmond already has a hood on his back, just not raised :P

So he's allowed to wear a hat. ;D

salted onions
03-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I figured people would make the argument that "he's already running around the streets stabbing every guard and political figure in town anyway." You're not being stealthy enough then. I thought this game was about hiding in plain slight, striking the enemy when least expected, and slipping seamlessly back into the shadow? Not "LET'S TAKE ON THE ENTIRE TOWN ARMY!". The hood is just immersion breaking in that as soon as you walk into town, you're definitely going to be noticed by people. I know people will do that regardless due to the whole "I'm a wearing all white lol look at me" assassin motif, but the fact that there's a hood is just the last straw on the camels back. And I never said it was 100% okay in past games too, I just thought it was much more tolerable. I also said that in the past games, there wasn't really anything else to wear, it's not like Ezio is going to star wearing some pompous headdress like the guards in Constantinople dude.

Now Connor has the chance to actually wear some decent looking headwear, while still looking awesome (even more awesome than he would with a hood in my opinion), while keeping to the setting, while being less immersion breaking with the whole stealth thing.

pirate1802
03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Ezio could have worn a turban like other people on the streets of constantinople, or just a headband like Yusuf or no headgear at all, it is not mandatory fo people to wear something on their heads you know, also: as far as we know, Conor atleast wears a white coat, which is what other people are wearing around him, albeit of different colour. In AC2 a dude walks in wearing a hood and full armour and no one thinks its weird. In ACB: Ezio wore the most striking uniform. NONE around him wore such a flowing robe, of shiny white colour and ofcourse the hood. It was as it he was crying out for attention. In Revelations he had a big assassin motif painted on his clothes; how obvious can it get? I'm ok with all these uniforms, because we need to understand a certain amount of symbolism goes with being an assassin, which may not be totally realistic. What I'm saying if people consider Connor's getup as attention-gathering, the earlier uniforms of Ezio were far worse.

Jexx21
03-05-2012, 01:07 PM
You sure you will be able to handle all the drastic changes that will be coming in AC3? Its going to feel like a completely different game this time around.

Lol, you're lying to yourself if you truly think that.

It's obvious that most of the core mechanics are staying true to their roots. They'll just be implemented MUCH better and will have some serious upgrades.

Jexx21
03-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Also, in modern times lots of people get away with wearing odd clothing with little to no people noticing (or they notice and don't care).

SevketErhat
03-05-2012, 01:21 PM
I want these outfits
http://bt.eutorrents.com/imagehost/images/poster1brotherhoodof.jpg

Sick_one12
03-05-2012, 01:42 PM
well,if they have a tricorn hat for connor it should be.....
errr......forget it no tricorn hat at all just the hood;)

i would actually like to get the option to toogle the hood on/off for both Connor and Desmond

Noble6
03-05-2012, 01:45 PM
I think it was said in Gameinformer that we can alter Connors clothes so he wouldn't outstand so much from crowd. Maybe we can just undress the hood and I can't imagine him using tricorn hat without looking funny but that's just me I guess.

ace3001
03-05-2012, 03:50 PM
The hooded protagonist is something like part of the identity of Assassin's Creed. I understand what you're saying, but it wouldn't make sense to drop the hood for that reason.

Grazel69
03-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I just hope Connor either
-Has an option to take his hood of
- automatically takes it off when he's in a town or something
- has different outfits that actually look distinct (not just adding flippin platemail armor to it, I don't want to see any of that)

brick177
03-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Even Ezio stood out in Renaisance Italy. The Assassin outfit blended with the scholars of AC1, that was about it. "Hide in plain sight". Ezio certainly wasn't hiding in a group of courtesans, and Connor looks nothing like a Native or a Colonial in that garb, so I think it is one of those artistic licenses they are taking that we just have to deal with. He should be "notorious" 24/7 in that get up in colonial America, but I'm sure the Brits will still have a hard time finding the white hood among the black tricorn hats.

salted onions
03-05-2012, 05:25 PM
It's not like Connor will be indistinguishable from the rest of the pack with a hood, I'm just saying the hood looks silly, and a tricorn would look GREAT if used right. Most people toss the idea of no hood out the window because it'll ruin their precious assassin, but in all honesty by the time the game comes out you'll have all grown to love the tricorn hat if they went in that direction. A tricorn would remain stylish and go well with his overall outfit, make it more believable that he's hiding in plain sight, and it would just be an easy decision were it not such a symbol.

Everyone keeps pointing out that Ezio and Altair to some extent looked strange/out of place in their outfits, but you guys are acting as if this is okay. This is NOT okay, even little details like this breaks the immersion of the game. I know there are even greater immersion breakers such as being able to stab someone and plain sight and not being caught, but it would be nice if they kept these little immersion breakers to a minimum. A hat for a hood, for instance.

LadyGahan2010
03-05-2012, 05:29 PM
OMG, what a horrible idea. Getting rid of the hood is like asking to get rid of the hidden blade. And NO, your suggestion would look horrible too.

salted onions
03-05-2012, 05:33 PM
OMG, what a horrible idea. Getting rid of the hood is like asking to get rid of the hidden blade. And NO, your suggestion would look horrible too.

^ This is the main reason why Ubisoft would never consider it. Because everyone has had a hood fetish ever since they implanted the idea in your brains that "Hoodies are cool" since AC1. I beg to differ, but usually I'm the minority. A Hidden Blade is a weapon that is integral to being an assassin. A hood is a fashion statement, no more. It should be done away with because it looks silly. Tricorn hats look good when the setting calls for it in my honest opinion.

telcontar7
03-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Tricorn hats look very silly. So, I'm glad that it's not included in Connor's main attire.

kriegerdesgottes
03-05-2012, 05:37 PM
no...just no...I totally disagree. He looks awesome. Leave him alone. Although I could live without sooo much Native American influence. I like some of it but I feel like it's a bit much. In particular those little leather strips that hang from his arrow pouch and legs. I just don't like those things.

salted onions
03-05-2012, 05:42 PM
It's all a matter of opinion. I'm just stating mine. Anything I say now will just be a repeat of arguments I've made earlier, since nobody since to be making any new arguments besides "Tricorns are ugly", "Hoods are cool", and "Assassins NEED THESE HOODS".

However, I would like to begin a clan for multiplayer. We shall be the Tricorn society. Who will stand by me against the oppressive hooded masses?! I'm going to have to photoshop a Tricorn onto the first AC3 banner that appears on this forums.

Lonesoldier2012
03-05-2012, 06:18 PM
You could try and put a native american headdress on him.

Hitokiri_Wrath
03-05-2012, 11:27 PM
This is such an obvious troll but whatever, I'll bite. The Hood isn't just iconic, it's a logo. Ubi is ALWAYS going to have a hood on the protagonist because that's how it is.

In-game it does serve a somewhat practical purpose. Connor's Native American skin is really obvious and even if they assimilated, Native American's were not viewed highly. I'm sure Washington or Franklin will have to say he's a servant or something of that effect to explain why they're meeting with a Native in the shadows. The hood will let him hide his heritage enough to facilitate blending in with the colonials.

How is Desmond going to look silly in a hoodie in modern-day New York? Half the people walking down the street are wearing hoods and twenty of them are white. It makes the MOST sense for Desmond to wear his hood to blend in than in ANY of the other games. Especially since wearing a hood was always associated with criminals or dark dealings. It's why La Volpe wore a hood an no one else did.

Jexx21
03-06-2012, 01:30 AM
^ This is the main reason why Ubisoft would never consider it. Because everyone has had a hood fetish ever since they implanted the idea in your brains that "Hoodies are cool" since AC1. I beg to differ, but usually I'm the minority. A Hidden Blade is a weapon that is integral to being an assassin. A hood is a fashion statement, no more. It should be done away with because it looks silly. Tricorn hats look good when the setting calls for it in my honest opinion.
No, I would be fine if an Assassin had no hood with no head-ware at all.

salted onions
03-06-2012, 01:30 AM
This is such an obvious troll but whatever, I'll bite. The Hood isn't just iconic, it's a logo. Ubi is ALWAYS going to have a hood on the protagonist because that's how it is.

In-game it does serve a somewhat practical purpose. Connor's Native American skin is really obvious and even if they assimilated, Native American's were not viewed highly. I'm sure Washington or Franklin will have to say he's a servant or something of that effect to explain why they're meeting with a Native in the shadows. The hood will let him hide his heritage enough to facilitate blending in with the colonials.

How is Desmond going to look silly in a hoodie in modern-day New York? Half the people walking down the street are wearing hoods and twenty of them are white. It makes the MOST sense for Desmond to wear his hood to blend in than in ANY of the other games. Especially since wearing a hood was always associated with criminals or dark dealings. It's why La Volpe wore a hood an no one else did.

First, I'm not a troll, I'm 100% serious, but whatever you want to think, go ahead. The assassin's ideal of free will and what not, blah blah. I'm fully aware it's a logo/icon and that Ubisoft will NEVER get rid of it. The franchise and the hood are synonymous, as well as the hidden blade.

However, in Ubisoft's first trailer for AC3, they decided to go and tell the world that an assassin doesn't need to use a hidden blade to be an assassin. That trademark weapon is not used a single time in this debut trailer for their flagship title. I don't think that would made Connor any less of an assassin. In fact, this move shows how they're finally making a game that transcends the previous generalization around past AC games. The monotonous "Hold block, then counter stab stab stab" is no longer the case, and this trailer showcases this idea with the very different fighting style shown by Connor. It shows that they're not afraid to make something a bit different. I feel as though a tricorn hat would not be that big a step forward for Ubisoft. Hell, even let him wear a hoodie, and a tricorn hat over it, and I'd STILL be happy.

It's just the fact that he could be walking around Boston hooded breaks my immersion. In a time of such turmoil, wouldn't a random redcoat guard walk up to any suspicious hooded figure? Also, to respond to his skin tone. I'm not sure about you but it seemed predominantly white to me. Only in the artistic rendition of an interpretation of Connor did his skin look significantly dark, but in most screen shots he is looking very much European.

Also, Desmond is irrelevant, I'm not arguing whether or not he should have a hood. The notion of something being "silly" is an OPINION. You cannot say my opinion is wrong, because no opinion is wrong. And he isn't even relevant in this 'tricorn' argument so I don't see why you feel the need to bring him up.

salted onions
03-06-2012, 01:31 AM
No, I would be fine if an Assassin had no hood with no head-ware at all.

I don't like seeing bad hair physics in games :P, which is why I would prefer even a hood to nothing. Though I'd prefer a tricorn hat to a hood in this game.

Calvarok
03-06-2012, 01:42 AM
Hoods make sense in any time period or setting. Connor is not an actual official soldier, so he has no reason to adhere to a dress code. Hats are for asthetics. Hoods are for obscuring your face. And wearing a big hat and angling it looks stupid. This fits the the asthetic of previous games, so I'm fine with it.

The entire rest of his outfit could belong to a soldier. It fits.

EzioAssassin51
03-07-2012, 05:49 AM
I just watched the IGN Rewind Theatre and they made a great point.

His white hood, along with his white outfit, will help him in traversing among the white, snow covered trees in the Wilderness, which would work more than a tricorn hat, which would stick out like a sore thumb in that environment

pirate1802
03-07-2012, 06:24 AM
I think Connor looked dark-skinned in the trailer, so the hiding-your-identity point in favor of the hood sounds good.

Legendz54
03-07-2012, 06:29 AM
http://www.nps.gov/museum/exhibits/revwar/image_gal/morrimg/web_exhibit/Hat_Tricorn_MORR3874.jpg
YUCK i personally dont like it, the hood is much better and gives you a more stealthy feel. In this game you cant be an assassin without your hood.

Madman6884
03-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Alright, just saying my piece on the whole thing. I get where you're coming from OP, I really do. However, that doesn't mean I agree with it, and I'll try and explain my disagreement as logically as is possible.
1) The idea behind the clothing has been, since the trend was started going from AC1 to AC2, about taking the traditional clothing of the assassins (most notably the hood) and redesigning them so that they fit within the time period thematically. It is possible to redesign the outfit without the hood, as was done in one of the prints at the Ubisoft store (the Western/cowboy one), but generally the hood is a trait that is going to stick.
2) It's about the identity more than anything else. It's been said by other people here already, the hood is iconic.
3) The games always have a set number of clothes that are mix-matched for the NPCs, they're all going to look generic from that standpoint. Also, consider that its a design decision. Your character isn't going to look interesting if everyone is decked out in similarly extravagant clothes.
4) I'd honestly argue that even Altair stood out like a sore thumb. Sure he could blend in with a group of monks...but I know everyone has at one point thought to themselves "How do they not notice that one of those men is armed to the teeth?". The point is, from a logical standpoint all the characters we've had are identifiable in a crowd (except maybe Desmond). Basically, its asking for a slight suspension of disbelief no matter what.

ace3001
03-07-2012, 07:00 AM
No, I would be fine if an Assassin had no hood with no head-ware at all.This I wouldn't mind at all. But a tricorn hat just wouldn't suit Connor, especially considering his Mohawk background.

salted onions
06-02-2012, 09:32 PM
http://www.analoghype.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Assassins-Creed-3-Liberation-Protagonist.jpg

WHAT WERE YOU ALL SAYING? TRICORN HATS ARE STUPID? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF AVELINE AND HER TRICORN HAT. WOO.

Lass4r
06-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Haha nice call! xD

Songbali
06-02-2012, 11:10 PM
I disagree. To me, the hood is not only a staple of the series, but it looks good. The whole point in wearing a hood is to hide your identity more. I can clearly see that character's face at the beginning of the topic. (Btw, if you've posted any new images, I haven't seen them, cause I'm not reading all the pages.)

Edit: In fact, I'd like to see a fur cloak of some sort. If he is native american, after all, it would only make sense to have a bit of that implemented into his character design. Maybe instead of the series' signature hood, we see a hooded fur cloak without the little pointy part at the tip of the hood. Just a thick fur cloak, that he perhaps ditches during the summer in favor of some other sort of headwear that hides his face. If Seasonal models are too difficult or buggy to implement, just have a light fur cloak then, one that doesn't absorb heat very much at all for year round wear.

RzaRecta357
06-02-2012, 11:18 PM
I don't agree TC. In fact, I hope Aveline has a hood.

Songbali
06-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Sorry, who's Aveline? I mean, I've heard about her here and there, but the only protagonist I've heard of is Connor. I sincerely I hope I get to play him throughout all of AC3, except for the Desmond parts, of course.

Assassin_M
06-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Sorry, who's Aveline? I mean, I've heard about her here and there, but the only protagonist I've heard of is Connor. I sincerely I hope I get to play him throughout all of AC3, except for the Desmond parts, of course.
She is the protagonist of the newly, but not officially, revealed PS Vita game..

SixKeys
06-03-2012, 01:12 AM
WHAT WERE YOU ALL SAYING? TRICORN HATS ARE STUPID? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF AVELINE AND HER TRICORN HAT. WOO.

THIS! I am all over this new hoodless assassin (if you know what I mean). :D

The hood may be iconic, but by no means a necessity. At Monteriggioni there were several statues of historical assassins who didn't wear a hood. In AC1 it started out as part of fitting in with the surroundings (where lots of people wore headscarves) and to protect yourself from the heat. In the Ezio games it was more of an homage to the first game. With Connor it's already starting to wear out its welcome, but some people still wore capes in those times so it's okay. I want to see the AC series evolve, not get stuck in its own clichés. As essential as the hidden blade is to the franchise, I even wouldn't be outraged if over time it evolved into a new kind of weapon. The series is about time and about social stealth. Times change, the assassins must change as well to adapt to their surroundings.

Songbali
06-03-2012, 01:28 AM
Now that I know the tricorn hat isn't actually for Connor, I'm entirely good with that idea. Obviously, I wouldn't want it to be a continuing trend throughout all the new AC games, but I gotta say- that tricorn hat looks pretty freakin' good.

kriegerdesgottes
06-03-2012, 01:33 AM
I'm sorry but the tricorn hats look ridiculous. They did show a pic of Connor with one on that will be DLC for anyone who actually wants to break that fashion law but it is there. To each his own I guess.

SixKeys
06-03-2012, 01:47 AM
The first time I saw Ezio's robes in AC2, I thought he looked pretty ridiculous too. Ended up working just fine.

Songbali
06-03-2012, 01:50 AM
The first time I saw Ezio's robes in AC2, I thought he looked pretty ridiculous too. Ended up working just fine.

Agreed.

kriegerdesgottes
06-03-2012, 01:54 AM

Are you serious!? I'll never forget the awe I felt when I first saw his robes I stared with my mouth open for like a minute straight. They were/are amazing. They are actually still my favorite ones so far. To each his own I guess.

Calvarok
06-03-2012, 03:05 AM
Connor does actually have a skin that comes with a Tricorn.

salted onions
06-03-2012, 04:01 AM
Connor does actually have a skin that comes with a Tricorn.

Is it an ingame unlockable? Is it a preorder bonus!? Is it a preorder bonus on PC?! Available in the US? You can't just leave me hanging with such a delicious bit of information like that!

Edit: I just saw an image what seems to be a preorder bonus from Germany. Do want.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/03/videogames/Felix/Landingpages/Ubisoft/AC3_preorder._SX700_.jpg