PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Cross [spoilers]

GunnarGunderson
03-05-2012, 05:34 AM
As some of you would know, at the end of Revelations MP your templar is sent after William Miles, is it a possibility that Daniel was going with him. The fact that the Templars sent operatives after Bill Miles surely won't be ignored in AC3, but would Ubisoft really use a bland generic templar with no characterization over Cross?

GeneralTrumbo
03-05-2012, 05:48 AM
As some of you would know, at the end of Revelations MP your templar is sent after William Miles, is it a possibility that Daniel was going with him. The fact that the Templars sent operatives after Bill Miles surely won't be ignored in AC3, but would Ubisoft really use a bland generic templar with no characterization over Cross?
Personally, I hope they use Daniel Cross.

Subject-22
03-05-2012, 07:52 AM
who is bill miles?

The13Doctors
03-05-2012, 07:59 AM
who is bill miles?

It's William Mile's codename.

Also, he sent both Daniel and the Templar to find William, not just the Templar.

LintonMildone
03-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Also, he sent both Daniel and the Templar to find William, not just the Templar.

I'm pretty sure that all the templar recruits in abstergo (including the main multiplayer character) will act as modern templar stalkers like the ones from revelations of course lucky for Desmond they don't stand a chance.:D Now Daniel Cross on the other hand...........:(

LightRey
03-05-2012, 10:35 AM

Bill is just short for William. It's not a codename.

The13Doctors
03-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Bill is just short for William. It's not a codename.

I meant alias. It makes sense that he'd use some type of alias, his was Bill. For a normal thing it'd be Will, not Bill.

Until I read up the wiki on Will/Bill I was completely confused as to who was Bill and who was William lol

GeneralTrumbo
03-05-2012, 10:43 AM
I meant alias. It makes sense that he'd use some type of alias, his was Bill. For a normal thing it'd be Will, not Bill.

Until I read up the wiki on Will/Bill I was completely confused as to who was Bill and who was William lol
My father's name is William, but everyone calls him Bill. Actually many people have the birth name 'William', but go by 'Bill'.

The13Doctors
03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
My father's name is William, but everyone calls him Bill. Actually many people have the birth name 'William', but go by 'Bill'.

Really? Why is that?

GeneralTrumbo
03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Really? Why is that?
I don't really know the reasoning behind it. =/

Captain Tomatoz
03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
I don't really know the reasoning behind it. =/

Because Bill is just a shortened version of William. The same way Ed is short of Edward and Steve is short for Steven.

LightRey
03-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Because Bill is just a shortened version of William. The same way Ed is short of Edward and Steve is short for Steven.

Exactly.

AntiChrist7
03-05-2012, 11:10 AM
bill clinton's real name is also william

The13Doctors
03-05-2012, 11:19 AM

Wouldn't it be Will?

Nickolas isn't Rick is it?

Captain Tomatoz
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Wouldn't it be Will?

Maybe Bob being short for Robert is a better example :)

LightRey
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Wouldn't it be Will?

Will is also short for William yes and Rick really is short for Nickolas.

misterB2001
03-05-2012, 11:23 AM
My dads called John, but everyone calls him Jackie (he is scottish) also in Scotland people called Robert typically get called Rab.

The13Doctors
03-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Okay, I understand now. Nicknames don't have to have anything to do with your actual name.

LightRey
03-05-2012, 11:26 AM
My dads called John, but everyone calls him Jackie (he is scottish) also in Scotland people called Robert typically get called Rab.

Jack isn't short for Johannes though (unlike John).

misterB2001
03-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Tell that to the Scottish! It's a pretty standard nickname over there

LightRey
03-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Tell that to the Scottish! It's a pretty standard nickname over there

Weird. I'm pretty sure Jack is short for Jacobus.

misterB2001
03-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Just found this explanation...

The name 'Jack' can be traced through monastic records as originating with Johannes (= John) which diverged in the Low Countries to become Jehan, then Jan and (with the addition of the Flemish suffix) Jankin. The French pronunciation of that name sounded like Jackin, which became shortened to Jack

D.I.D.
03-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Will is also short for William yes and Rick really is short for Nickolas.

Rick is short for Richard.

LightRey
03-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Just found this explanation...

The name 'Jack' can be traced through monastic records as originating with Johannes (= John) which diverged in the Low Countries to become Jehan, then Jan and (with the addition of the Flemish suffix) Jankin. The French pronunciation of that name sounded like Jackin, which became shortened to Jack

Guess I was wrong then. :P

It can also be short for Nickolas. It kinda "merged" with Nick.

dxsxhxcx
03-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Daniel is part of "Operations" and was at the meeting where they say they had found William Miles, I believe he'll make an appearance in the game, show us that Daniel is alive in the game and not use him would be a waste of character, also Desmond needs someone powerfull to be his opponent, those guards don't stand a chance against him...

Sick_one12
03-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Daniel is part of "Operations" and was at the meeting where they say they had found William Miles, I believe he'll make an appearance in the game, show us that Daniel is alive in the game and not use him would be a waste of character, also Desmond needs someone powerfull to be his opponent, those guards don't stand a chance against him...

That makes me wonder,how exactly the animus works:after all this time does desmond actually have real fighting experience or is he "only" able to do all these movements of ezio?didnt he just relive ezios life but didnt choose what to say and didnt actually fight himself against everyone?

The13Doctors
03-05-2012, 01:11 PM
That makes me wonder,how exactly the animus works:after all this time does desmond actually have real fighting experience or is he "only" able to do all these movements of ezio?didnt he just relive ezios life but didnt choose what to say and didnt actually fight himself against everyone?

There's two possibilities here:
He is there in first person watching everything. He moves and all, but he isn't in control, which would explain why he had to kill the innocent man
He is in there in first person controlling everything, which would make sense because he could stop at any time and go to training, as well as Synchronization.

I think it was both, what we see in game, is what he sees but in first person. as Ezio, he is instantly granted these skills which living through them grant a sort of Extreme Subconscious leaning.

It's quite complex

LightRey
03-05-2012, 01:16 PM
He is there in first person watching everything. He moves and all, but he isn't in control, which would explain why he had to kill the innocent man
He is in there in first person controlling everything, which would make sense because he could stop at any time and go to training, as well as Synchronization.

I think it was both, what we see in game, is what he sees but in first person. as Ezio, he is instantly granted these skills which living through them grant a sort of Extreme Subconscious leaning.

It's quite complex

I think the ACII ending (and Ezio's description of it in ACB) pretty much confirmed that Desmond sees everything in 3rd person. Since he's also able to make decisions regarding which memory to visit or how accurately to replay it (full synch, as explained by Rebecca), he can to quite an extent influence what he is doing. I think it's therefore safe to say that it's basically like virtual combat training, but better because it feels like remembering how you were supposed to do it instead of just learning it.

dxsxhxcx
03-05-2012, 01:19 PM

It's quite complex

I believe it's a little of both, he can control the ancestor movements (otherwise we wouldn't be able to look for glyphs) but he doesn't control the events that happen around him and what the ancestor says...

Sick_one12
03-05-2012, 01:28 PM

It's quite complex

Ah,thanks for the explaination:)
with "innocent man" you mean the one Altair killed at the beginning of AC1,dont you?
well,i think the first theory is the best one:desmond sees everything in first person but his/ezios body moves on his own and he also cant control what he says:)and the free roaming and doing side missions and all that is easily justified by assuming that ezio really did all those things then:)hence getting 100% sync(everything ezio did back then)

puh,its really quite complicated since we never got a real statement from ubi and its also very fiffercult for everything to make sense because of how the gamemechanics work=)

edit: oh,i totally forgot about searching for glyphs(which ezio likely didnt do;))and minerva looking into the camera hinting Desmond sees everything in third person.those things kinda destros the first theory so it has to be a little bit of both:)

Assassin_M
03-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Members are derail geniuses..
A thread starts about Daniel Cross and stops midway to talk about nicknames..

And yes, Daniel is on the team sent to assassinate William "Bill" Miles...

Sick_one12
03-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Members are derail geniuses..
A thread starts about Daniel Cross and stops midway to talk about nicknames..

And yes, Daniel is on the team sent to assassinate William "Bill" Miles...

well, a little bit of general education doesnt hurt,does it:)

kudos17
03-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Wouldn't it be Will?

You've seriously never heard William shortened as "Bill" before? :p But yeah, a lot of names have seemingly unrelated nicknames. Something to do with how they were formed in the first place, I reckon.

Anyway, the game explanation is that the user of the Animus works on a "puppet-system", controlling various motions. Desmond can't decide what to say, and there are certain moments where he is fully synchronized and uncontrollable (cutscenes), but the rest is generally up to him.

In actuality, I'd assume a real Animus (well, "real Animus" is somewhat of an oxymoron :p) would actually put someone in their ancestor's shoes, without controlling anything, exactly as the DNA "recorded" it. The person would "feel" everything, but not be able to manipulate it.

I don't know if anyone here has read "Neuromancer" here, but... like that.

GunnarGunderson
03-05-2012, 04:43 PM
2 full pages of arguing over names?

LightRey
03-05-2012, 04:44 PM
2 full pages of arguing over names?

It wasn't arguing.

UrDeviant1
03-05-2012, 04:47 PM

Di-ck Is short for Richard.

GunnarGunderson
03-05-2012, 07:23 PM
It wasn't arguing.

still very much off-topic

LightRey
03-05-2012, 07:24 PM
still very much off-topic

True, but so is this.

ArD117
03-05-2012, 09:26 PM
The idea of Daniel Cross being on the team to assassinate Bill Miles opens up some interesting avenues for out-of-animus missions...

blazefp
03-05-2012, 09:43 PM

It's quite complex

It's said on the help book of ACI that the person inside the animus actually plays as his ancestor, just like we control Desmond with a remote controller so does he controls Ezio/Alta´r/Connor with his mind. They say that the subjects respond better doing this and are more...keen to help

RichardHaro
03-05-2012, 09:45 PM
How awesome would it be if the game opened with a cinematic retelling of Assassin's Creed: The Fall? Obviously sped up, a retelling like the recaps at the beginning of AC2 and Brotherhood.