PDA

View Full Version : AC III to have NO swordplay at all?

pacmanate
03-02-2012, 09:09 PM
I don't know if anyone has realised but all the screenshots show guards with guns and all screenshots of Connor show him with a gun or bow and arrow, with no sword attached to his waist either?

reddragonhrcro
03-02-2012, 09:11 PM
I don't know if anyone has realised but all the screenshots show guards with guns and all screenshots of Connor show him with a gun or bow and arrow, with no sword attached to his waist either?

He holds an tomahawk,it is possibly categorized as axe and used instead of sword,there is a image of him countering 2 soldiers with the tomahawk and a knife.

rileypoole1234
03-02-2012, 09:12 PM
He has a dagger, and it's been confirmed that you'll be able to dual wield a dagger and a tomahawk, so I'm guessing that there'll be swords as well. People fought with swords back then still. He's more of a hunter so I bet that there will be more stalking silently and pouncing for a kill, rather than bursting in and fighting everyone at the scene. This Assassin is a true predator.

reddragonhrcro
03-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Here it is:

Posting scans is against Forum Rules and Copyright. I would suggest you not do so unless you are looking to be Banned.

pacmanate
03-02-2012, 09:15 PM
But all screenshots of soldiers have them with guns only! Even the screen with the dog in it, the guys standing had guns

lilshawty741
03-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Well infantry didn't typically have or use swords. They had bayonets for stabbing each other.

rileypoole1234
03-02-2012, 09:18 PM
But all screenshots of soldiers have them with guns only! Even the screen with the dog in it, the guys standing had guns

That's why you'll have to be stealthy with a blade. If they all see you, they all fire, and you die. Stealth with a blade is the only way to kill them. You can't fight more than one soldier when they all have guns, even if you have a gun, so you need to be stealthy.

pacmanate
03-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Yeah but my POINT, is that there will hardly be, if any, swordplay. A hidden blade is not swordplay

rileypoole1234
03-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Yeah but my POINT, is that there will hardly be, if any, swordplay. A hidden blade is not swordplay

I mean't with a dagger. But people still fought with swords. Have you seen the movie The Patriot? Swords. Swords everywhere. After they ran out of bullets on the battlefield, they pull out their swords and fight with them.

reddragonhrcro
03-02-2012, 09:37 PM
I mean't with a dagger. But people still fought with swords. Have you seen the movie The Patriot? Swords. Swords everywhere. After they ran out of bullets on the battlefield, they pull out their swords and fight with them.

Good example.

Dieinthedark
03-02-2012, 11:09 PM
There better be plenty of swordplay but I'm actually going to sit back and trust their judgement on this one as of now...

kriegerdesgottes
03-02-2012, 11:13 PM
On the cover of the GI page you can see the hilt of his sword on his side. If you look at the comic book looking one which also shows Connor from behind, you can clearly see his sword.

LionHeart XXII
03-02-2012, 11:16 PM
yeah, guns at this point were like only fired once, then they pulled out their swords and started swinging because they took forever to reload.

notafanboy
03-02-2012, 11:17 PM
he had a saber,tomahawk,2 guns and a bow and arrow in the consept art,

luckyto
03-02-2012, 11:24 PM
AC1's preview trailer had Altair with a crossbow... so who knows what the final product will be like. There had better be swordplay **** it. On the bright side, it took several minutes to load a single round so hopefully if people fire once... it will be once.

brick177
03-03-2012, 12:09 AM
One of the reasons I was always against the French Revolution or other ideas in this time period is the lack of swordplay. However, I can assure you that melee combat is still very much prevalent. The dominant military strategy of the imperialist era was to train infantry to use their musket+ bayonet as pikeman would use a pike. Military strategy with the advent of gunpowder had Pikemen and archbusiers. When the musket was invented the smaller size allowed the inclusion of a blade on the end for wielding as a melee weapon.

Officers and "gentlemen" still had swords.

The13Doctors
03-03-2012, 12:26 AM
I'm actually fine with the change

I'll be gladly sporting my tomahawk and dagger.

brick177
03-03-2012, 12:29 AM
I'm actually fine with the change

I'll be gladly sporting my tomahawk and dagger.

I agree. In the past, we've had a million weapons choices and only a few ways of using them. This new world not only seems open and dynamic but the options for dispatching your enemies are so many that the change in weaponry really doesn't matter. Either way, if you want lots of sword play, the time period has to stay in the middle ages or earlier.

The13Doctors
03-03-2012, 12:35 AM
I agree. In the past, we've had a million weapons choices and only a few ways of using them. This new world not only seems open and dynamic but the options for dispatching your enemies are so many that the change in weaponry really doesn't matter. Either way, if you want lots of sword play, the time period has to stay in the middle ages or earlier.

Yeah, also they said they had thousands of combat animations for him, assuming maybe 50-100 are with the four weapons we've seen (Dagger, Tomahawk, Bow, and Gun), there must still be plenty of weapon choices, hopefully we find out with the hopefully released Trailer on Monday.

g_cracker27
03-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Good! I don't want my Mohawk assassin running around with a sword... way too out of character. Its time to move on to a fresh style of gameplay

kalo.yanis
03-03-2012, 01:46 AM
I don't want him to have a sword either. The smaller weapons will make for much swifter maneuvers and a generally more incognito appearance.

It would also look slightly anachronistic.