PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't want ACIII to go to America...

LordWolv
03-01-2012, 07:06 AM
This is my opinion of why I don't want ACIII to go to America both historically and in the present. I am aware this is an opinion shared by very few, but I am keeping to it. Yes, I know, if it's already going to America there's nothing I can do; this is simply my thoughts on the matter.

America is overused. I am not a nationalist of any kind, but countless games are held in America, and the USA is glorified in all of them. ACIII will not be different if it does move to America. Assassin's Creed is notorious of recreating beautiful cities and populations throughout history and they have so far taken countries people don't know much about. You can see that just by having the flag behind the character in what is apparently the box cover is glorifying the country. This can't happen, because that's not what AC does.
There's no much better. Of all the places to go for cultural, architectural and historical richness... why would you choose America? There's so much better through history, with some deep history, some stunning buildings and an outstanding culture. If you're a massive game developer such as Ubisoft, and you have the opportunity to recreate ANY time period, why would you choose America? I can think of both Egypt and France immediately, both would be so much better.
I know it's only two reasons, but I believe they are massive, please share your opinion on this and any more points you have I will add to the original post. No flaming please, even though I'm sure they'll be some American Patriots wanting to squash me...

Nomad86x
03-01-2012, 07:20 AM
I couldn't agree more, and after the tease at the end of Brotherhood about the Phrygian Cap and the Masonic Eye - as an avid Historian - I would be heartbroken if it wasn't Revolutionary France - not only is it my favorite time and place in history - but also the sheer amount that's going on and that could be intertwined with the AC plotline.

The animus is such a clever device for locations and times and plots - and yet we go to America? C'mon -_- The Crusades and Renaissance Italy were great. Surely there's other settings that have more potential than the American Revolution - a very tired era - sure it could work but there's so many more options.

LordWolv
03-01-2012, 07:23 AM
I couldn't agree more, and after the tease at the end of Brotherhood about the Phrygian Cap and the Masonic Eye - as an avid Historian - I would be heartbroken if it wasn't Revolutionary France - not only is it my favorite time and place in history - but also the sheer amount that's going on and that could be intertwined with the AC plotline.

The animus is such a clever device for locations and times and plots - and yet we go to America? C'mon -_- The Crusades and Renaissance Italy were great. Surely there's other settings that have more potential than the American Revolution - a very tired era - sure it could work but there's so many more options.
Exactly. France has so much potential for an AC game; if I had that team of developers and I could recreate any time period, I'd be right to Revolutionary France.

johnnyhayek
03-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Anything in Europe (or anywhere that's not America) would honestly be WAY better than America. I would rather have a rich, historical setting than an all-out revolution involving America. Victorian London, French Revolution, or anything along those lines would be fantastic, if done in the right way.

JumpInTheFire13
03-01-2012, 07:40 AM
This is why I would consider you one of the "Mentors" of these forums. You always have interesting opinions and you always back them up. And you actually understand what good grammar is ;) . I completely agree with you on this.

LordWolv
03-01-2012, 07:58 AM
This is why I would consider you one of the "Mentors" of these forums. You always have interesting opinions and you always back them up. And you actually understand what good grammar is ;) . I completely agree with you on this.
Aww, means a lot.

And, hmhm, Victorian London... I would prefer it to America, but still I wouldn't exactly like it..

Nomad86x
03-01-2012, 08:05 AM
I had to rifle through some old forum posts - but I found it - it was a post I made of the plot potential that could stem from the French Revolution (because I'm a dork like that :D):

-The people rising up together against the wealthy aristocracy (Nobility & Clergy), the Tennis Court Oath being a significant event
-The Storming of the Bastille
-The ideas of Free Will, Freedom, Liberty - discussed popularly in Salons and Masonic Lodges (Assassin Dens? - they could turn Masons into an Assassin sub faction) - is perfect for ideas expressed and held dearly by the Assassin Order
-The Assassination of Jean Paul Marat - a man who used his newspaper to publish countless names to be sent to the guillotine, stabbed in his medicinal bath by a young woman (perhaps an assassination we witness or take part in?)
-The madness of Maximillian Robespierre - a man in a position of great power in the Revolutionary Gov't - he created his own cult for the "Goddess of Reason", rejecting Christianity (Possibly a TWCB reference? Trying to resurrect the worship of TWCB?)
-The rise of Napoleon - a power hungry individual that history will not soon forget,not to mention a masterful tactician
-And of course Shaun Hastings at the end of Brotherhood "I know that symbol! That's a Phrygian Cap! That stands for freedom, and that's a Masonic Eye (Eye of Providence, something we've seen from S16 glyphs already) now those two come together in only one place.." That place is the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen - a document produced during this tumultuous time.
-Paris of course is also a city that would provide us with great free-running, and lots of landmarks and monuments to climb and look down from http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
-We already know that a PoE was acquired by Napoleon - the question is - are here more flying around in this time - it's possible, France was an absolute mess, with pretty much every other nation in Europe declaring war on them while they struggled to regain stability
-The Templars, as we have seen, have been the wealthy nobles and clergy and aristocracy, people in power, and this would be an excellent setting - the suffering of the people, turned into a weapon of anger and righteous justice, against the cruel and dominating Templars -And the art of Jacques Louis David is rich with imagery and symbology that depict the tone of the time,and later on, he shifted his artistic focus to depicting the old Roman/Greek Gods(TWCB)(Louis XVI for example)

Thought it was worth bringing up for the sake of discussion :D

LordWolv
03-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Wow nice find. I scanned through that, and yes, all great points supporting france. Most of which aren't in america.

The13Doctors
03-01-2012, 08:17 AM
I see much bias in your posts but you do make valid posts about France. I am hoping and believing it will be both.

Despite everything, everyone is entitled to their opinion, this is yours.

LordWolv
03-01-2012, 08:23 AM
I see much bias in your posts but you do make valid posts about France. I am hoping and believing it will be both.

Despite everything, everyone is entitled to their opinion, this is yours.
Bias towards France? Only because I believe it will be better, and, indeed..

The13Doctors
03-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Bias towards France? Only because I believe it will be better, and, indeed..

No, your points on France are valid, fair, and sensible. I meant bias against America.

LordWolv
03-01-2012, 08:31 AM
No, your points on France are valid, fair, and sensible. I meant bias against America.
Oh? Yes, I am biased against america, but only because I have reasons for it. If you have reasons why it SHOULD go to america instead of other places, I'll happily consider them.

The13Doctors
03-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Oh? Yes, I am biased against america, but only because I have reasons for it. If you have reasons why it SHOULD go to america instead of other places, I'll happily consider them.
Dude, it's quite obvious you have a huge thing against America. I'm not starting an argument here, just pointing that out.
One should learn to learn and accept oneself (irrelevant to the topic). You are obviously extremely biased against America, in the game.

No real problem there. There are many reasons for it to be in America.

LordWolv
03-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Dude, it's quite obvious you have a huge thing against America. I'm not starting an argument here, just pointing that out.
One should learn to learn and accept oneself (irrelevant to the topic). You are obviously extremely biased against America, in the game.

No real problem there. There are many reasons for it to be in America.
I am biased against the glorifying of America and it's overuse, not America itself.

The13Doctors
03-01-2012, 08:43 AM
I am biased against the glorifying of America and it's overuse, not America itself.

Yeah I know, which is why I put "in game".

I agree that it's glorified too much, but we don't know that Ubi will do that. In AC Canon the founders of America are Templars, NA are enemies of the Rebels, allies of the British, France had much to do with America. Maybe we will see both sides, Templars and Assassins, or as someone else mentioned, Masons (sub-faction) and Assassins, having American Rebels be the enemy.

Remember, Ubisoft isn't biased and the main studio isn't American, none of the ones that worked on ACR were. They simply do their research and tell the story their way, they very well can make the Americans Templars.

Also, I highly believe it will be in both wars. (I actually had a more relevant thing to say but I forgot just before writing this last sentence).

RzaRecta357
03-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Like I said in the other topic. This won't feel like America. America barely even was yet. Don't think Red Dead Redemption. That was early 1900's. This is like 1770 or something.

ManiLegend
03-01-2012, 08:49 AM
You couldn't have said it better but remember Ubisoft hasn't confirmed a location yet but they said they are going to in a few days so we will find out soon im hoping Egypt or somewhere in Europe.

RzaRecta357
03-01-2012, 08:50 AM
You couldn't have said it better but remember Ubisoft hasn't confirmed a location yet but they said they are going to in a few days so we will find out soon im hoping Egypt or somewhere in Europe.

That ancestor is clearly native american or native canadian. Very far from Egypt or Europe!

nukelukespuke34
03-01-2012, 09:17 AM
The setting I least wanted to see was American Revolution. But if Ubisoft can make it work, I'll still support it. My only fear is that they picked this time period not because they had an interesting story to tell or awesome gameplay mechanic to implement, but because the Ubisoft brass decided an Ameri-centric game would sell more copies.

Eziolala
03-01-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm going to be extremely disappointed if AC3 goes in the America direction.

I think it'd be a shame for a game with such great previous locations to go to America...where the majority of games, tv shows, and films are set. I totally agree with the whole overuse of America (particularly the US) thing.

Would I still buy it? Most likely. Though I don't believe I would enjoy as much as I did previously.

Kit572
03-01-2012, 10:24 AM
http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1219745p1.html

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/337883/assassins-creed-3-main-character-announcement-date-leaked/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

I hope its not legit...

GeneralTrumbo
03-01-2012, 10:38 AM
People are forgetting that there IS history in America. EVERY. PLACE. ON. EARTH. HAS. DEEP. HISTORY. Think about it. If they are going to continue the AC series, they will need to make America at one point, so why not now? Boston and Philadalphia in this time was booming. There could be so much to do there! And the idea of a Native American makes things better! This is what will set this game apart from the other AC's!

Assassin_M
03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
People are forgetting that there IS history in America. EVERY. PLACE. ON. EARTH. HAS. DEEP. HISTORY. Think about it. If they are going to continue the AC series, they will need to make America at one point, so why not now? Boston and Philadalphia in this time was booming. There could be so much to do there! And the idea of a Native American makes things better! This is what will set this game apart from the other AC's!
Exactly.. this isnt about glorifying a nation or anything, its a nice change
In every AC game we were rendered in a setting which is already developed and flourishing, but now we get to see the creation of HISTORY, the beginning of a very controversial civilization..

GeneralTrumbo
03-01-2012, 10:56 AM
But, if they don't do any justice or give like any gameplay to Desmond, I will never buy an Assassins Creed game ever again.

Assassin_M
03-01-2012, 11:00 AM
But, if they don't do any justice or give like any gameplay to Desmond, I will never buy an Assassins Creed game ever again.
There HAS to be justice, Its Des` final game, and the scope seems huge, I doubt it..

GeneralTrumbo
03-01-2012, 11:01 AM
There HAS to be justice, Its Des` final game, and the scope seems huge, I doubt it..
I know...it seems like I might be aiming for a lot...but we have to see something. Crossing my fingers for something for Desmond.

dxsxhxcx
03-01-2012, 11:03 AM
There's no much better. Of all the places to go for cultural, architectural and historical richness... why would you choose America? There's so much better through history, with some deep history, some stunning buildings and an outstanding culture. If you're a massive game developer such as Ubisoft, and you have the opportunity to recreate ANY time period, why would you choose America? I can think of both Egypt and France immediately, both would be so much better.

the reason to go to america is because Desmond and the other assassins are in NY in front of the grand temple, they need a valid reason to put Desmond back on the animus, put him back and go to France wouldn't make much sense, I'm not saying that America is the best choice (I don't care about where the next game will be as long as is GOOD enough to erase ACB/R's flaws from my mind) but if the game end up happening there it would make sense, at this point they don't have the luxury to choose the setting based on its historical/cultural/architectural richness like they had on the previous games, they need to focus in what's important for the story...

True_Assassin92
03-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Ya AC3 will be set in the American Revolution and you'll be a native american, too bad I really was hoping for the french revolution :)

Assassin_M
03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
the reason to go to america is because Desmond and the other assassins are in NY in front of the grand temple, they need a valid reason to put Desmond back on the animus, put him back and go to France wouldn't make much sense, I'm not saying that America is the best choice (I don't care about where the next game will be as long as is GOOD enough to erase ACB/R's flaws from my mind) but if the game end up happening there it would make sense, at this point they don't have the luxury to choose the setting based on its historical/cultural/architectural richness like they had on the previous games, they need to focus in what's important for the story...
Believe me if they made the setting in china they`ll find a way to justify it..
Maybe the only Assassin to enter the temple was in china first but went to america later and we all know how hard it is to access later memories without first synchronizing with the ancestor`s earlier memories..

suolucidur
03-01-2012, 11:29 AM
For me, one of the most important aspects in the Assassins Creed games is the climbing. Now, in Europe you have these huge cathedrals and buildings, that make for interesting climbing. In America anno 1770 I don't think they had these huge buildings yet (or did they?) I would find it a terrible shame if the game was set in a time and era without some huge landmarks to scale.

True_Assassin92
03-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Nah they don't, I think the tallest building they'd have are wooden churches and maybe some wooden forts. Maybe they're just teasing to then mindblow us with the french revolution or any other place but America LOL.

What they could have put in are the British trying to retake America. If you like the movie: the patriot then it would be cool.

dxsxhxcx
03-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Believe me if they made the setting in china they`ll find a way to justify it..
Maybe the only Assassin to enter the temple was in china first but went to america later and we all know how hard it is to access later memories without first synchronizing with the ancestor`s earlier memories..

I know they can make it happen, but I don't know if this would be cool (my opinion of course), they would need to focus on 2 or 3 different settings, enemies, etc... they weren't able to make Mongolia for a single memory in one year, I don't think they would have time to give the proper attention to different settings and also improve/add new gameplay mechanics...

Assassin_M
03-01-2012, 12:10 PM
I know they can make it happen, but I don't know if this would be cool (my opinion of course), they would need to focus on 2 or 3 different settings, enemies, etc... they weren't able to make Mongolia for a single memory in one year, I don't think they would have time to give the proper attention to different settings and also improve/add new gameplay mechanics...
Do not compare this with ACR and ACB because clearly it is a completely different product... 3 YEARS

GeneralTrumbo
03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Brotherhood and Revelations were both done in a year's time...AC3 has taken 3 years time to complete and is more heavily being invested into.

pirate1802
03-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Do not compare this with ACR and ACB because clearly it is a completely different product... 3 YEARS

I consider ACB and ACR as stand-alone expansions in everything but name. Their non-numbered names, largely unchanged gameplay mechanics and single-city storyline confirm this.

D.I.D.
03-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Nobody who liked Revelations has any business criticising the next game's setting on the basis of "lack of history". That game was the weakest so far in terms of displaying the history of its location, and it was a huge missed opportunity.

First of all, there's a ton of Native American history, and then all the history that all these different Europeans brought with them. By the time we're talking about, the Europeans have been there quite a long time, and the Native Americans have been travelling too.

go to 3m05s, time code isn't working - segment runs until 7m00s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Vp9pAqOsSAg#t=3m 05s

These cities are also much bigger than many people here seem to believe them to have been at this time. Look at maps, particularly Boston and New York. Also think about the span of time in AC2. We might begin at the end of the 18th century, but the story may well go on for 2 or 3 decades after that.

The13Doctors
03-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Nobody who liked Revelations has any business criticising the next game's setting on the basis of "lack of history". That game was the weakest so far in terms of displaying the history of its location, and it was a huge missed opportunity.

lol wut?

Constantinople is one of the most history rich cities in the World... Or is that what you mean?

Assassin_M
03-01-2012, 12:39 PM
lol wut?

Constantinople is one of the most history rich cities in the World... Or is that what you mean?
Thats not what he could`v possibly meant, could it ?
I think he means that Constantinople had a great history but ACR failed to fully show the rich history ?

D.I.D.
03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
lol wut?

Exactly, we were told so little about one of the most fascinating places in the world in one of its most fascinating eras.

The13Doctors
03-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Exactly, we were told so little about one of the most fascinating places in the world in one of its most fascinating eras.

Ah okay, you have a point, maybe letting go of Ezio in Brotherhood and having a new Ancestor would have brought a better period in Lygos or Nova Roma. I've looked into a lot of it's history since learning of it, so much, it seems that in ACR they didn't really do much with the history this time.

dxsxhxcx
03-01-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't know about you but I don't want a game better than ACB/R, I want a game better than AC1/2, have two or more different settings would do more harm than good IMO...

De Filosoof
03-01-2012, 02:30 PM
I totally agree with you Isaac, i would like to see the french revolution.
But maybe it was too difficult to make with all the chaos in the streets.
The engine, the physics and the AI of assassins creed are a serious problem.
Have you noticed how stupid the part looked in ACR when the civilians were rising up at Tokapi palace? It looked aweful, people were constantly running into each other and through each other.
That's why i think the AC engine isn't good enough for events like the French revolution.
The assassin on the leaked artwork is a native/half native American person, so i don't think (and hope) they will go the patriotic way with it.
I definitely don't think it will only take place in America, ubisoft has stated that it would be the biggest AC game ever.
I'm still hoping for the French and the American revolution.

LightRey
03-01-2012, 02:33 PM
I actually like both the idea of the American Revolution and the French Revolution. I do know a lot more about the French Revolution than the American Revolution, so I would be quite interested in the American setting, but on the other hand I know for a fact that the French Revolution has some very interesting events.

The13Doctors
03-01-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't know about you but I don't want a game better than ACB/R, I want a game better than AC1/2, have two or more different settings would do more harm than good IMO...

I can now refer you to my signature.

thekarlone
03-01-2012, 02:48 PM
If the game goes to America it will lose hopelessly a lot of quality. Only American Revolution + French Revolution is acceptable to me.

The13Doctors
03-01-2012, 02:51 PM
If the game goes to America it will lose a lot of quality hopelessly.

What's with all this hate against an American Setting, not just on this forum either...
The American Revolution has great potential as a story. It's not like we are talking about a Modern Day America, back then the place was different, it wasn't the place it is today, the only similarity is the location of the land.

Sukramo
03-01-2012, 03:05 PM
If the game goes to America it will lose hopelessly a lot of quality. Only American Revolution + French Revolution is acceptable to me.

Thats a contradition, American revolution= America.

I just dont understand how the game can be big enogh to both tell the story of a new ancestor AND have Desmond fight Abstergo. The game has to be the biggest one yet.

D.I.D.
03-01-2012, 03:05 PM
What's with all this hate against an American Setting, not just on this forum either...
The American Revolution has great potential as a story. It's not like we are talking about a Modern Day America, back then the place was different, it wasn't the place it is today, the only similarity is the location of the land.

Sometimes I think people over-egg the history concept and forget how important contemporary politics are to a good AC story. I did love all the background history-in-the-history, but AC2 was so good because it drew on the tensions of the time, such as the Pazzi Conspiracy and the Medici line, and then ACB used the infamy of the Borgias. I agree with you; we'll have factions from every powerful trading nation from Europe present, and slaves and the Native Americans, plus a protagonist who can move between them all. After the anaemic situation in Revelations, this thing is going to be much more interesting.

kalo.yanis
03-01-2012, 03:06 PM
I am not to keen on America either. When the supposed concept art leaked, I died a little inside.

Plus, I don't quite fancy how the new protagonist looks either.

LightRey
03-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Thats a contradition, American revolution= America.

I just dont understand how the game can be big enogh to both tell the story of a new ancestor AND have Desmond fight Abstergo. The game has to be the biggest one yet.

The sauce = awesome.

The13Doctors
03-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Sometimes I think people over-egg the history concept and forget how important contemporary politics are to a good AC story. I did love all the background history-in-the-history, but AC2 was so good because it drew on the tensions of the time, such as the Pazzi Conspiracy and the Medici line, and then ACB used the infamy of the Borgias. I agree with you; we'll have factions from every powerful trading nation from Europe present, and slaves and the Native Americans, plus a protagonist who can move between them all. After the anaemic situation in Revelations, this thing is going to be much more interesting.

Exactly! I for one am loving the idea and can't wait to see what Ubisoft does.

Razrback16
03-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Yeah, I was hoping for France, myself.

RzaRecta357
03-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Man, I hope were not stuck waiting till E3 for our annual video. We need a video with buildings so these whiners shaddap about America.

SaintPerkele
03-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Man, I hope were not stuck waiting till E3 for our annual video. We need a video with buildings so these whiners shaddap about America.
You clearly can't handle constructive criticism. Why not consider the flaws that an AC in America may have? We're not denying that there could be some positive aspects about this setting as well, but there are clearly things to be worried about. Don't mind the question if you don't want to, but are you from the States?

RzaRecta357
03-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Canadian. Also, I don't mind the constructive complaints. I guess I just feel like an old man of the board. Tired of the brotherhood *****ing. Tired of the Ezio is old and still the character *****ing. I can tell i'm gonna get tired of the people whining about America. Especially when we don't know WHERE in America it'll be and half of us probably don't really know the history of the 1700's.

Most movies and games are portrayed in the late 1800s and early 1900. Which would be a vastly different time already.

But. I guess i'll try to ignore it for everyones sake :P

LightRey
03-01-2012, 04:40 PM
You clearly can't handle constructive criticism. Why not consider the flaws that an AC in America may have? We're not denying that there could be some positive aspects about this setting as well, but there are clearly things to be worried about. Don't mind the question if you don't want to, but are you from the States?

Eh, that's not constructive criticism. Constructive criticism is criticism given to improve something. Seeing as the game has already been under development for 3 years, arguing why a certain setting is good or not is pointless and therefore not constructive.

egriffin09
03-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Anything in Europe (or anywhere that's not America) would honestly be WAY better than America. I would rather have a rich, historical setting than an all-out revolution involving America. Victorian London, French Revolution, or anything along those lines would be fantastic, if done in the right way.

I'm from the U.S. as I'm sure alot of people on this forum are as well. I agree. American Revolution is a great setting policital and social wise, but America doesn't have any interesting landmarks or architecture during that time. Til this day all America has is the Lincoln Memorial and the Statue of Liberty, that's it. Like Literatally, that's it. I was hoping for Japan, London, or France myself.

FilipinoNinja67
03-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Or since the character is a native american it could show how us americans destroyed their culture and forced them to assimilate to our ways or kill them. I dont think it will be anything like the villain in "Duty Calls" (lol)

RzaRecta357
03-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Or since the character is a native american it could show how us americans destroyed their culture and forced them to assimilate to our ways or kill them. I dont think it will be anything like the villain in "Duty Calls" (lol)

I hope so. Would be a good starter story as opposed to Ezio losing his family. Small pox covered blankets and fire water. I hope they touch on such things.

There's this super touching scene on Hell On Wheels where the natives come to town to have talks with the white man. They're disgusted by how we destroy the places we go to. It was really touching and hard to describe.

SaintPerkele
03-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Canadian. Also, I don't mind the constructive complaints. I guess I just feel like an old man of the board. Tired of the brotherhood *****ing. Tired of the Ezio is old and still the character *****ing. I can tell i'm gonna get tired of the people whining about America. Especially when we don't know WHERE in America it'll be and half of us probably don't really know the history of the 1700's.

Most movies and games are portrayed in the late 1800s and early 1900. Which would be a vastly different time already.

But. I guess i'll try to ignore it for everyones sake :P
Don't get me wrong, I didn't intend to offend you - but just the way you're tired of people complaining about America, I'm tired of people who absolutely want a certain location featured in an AC game - usually their homecountry - (and seriously, I'm not talking about America only, this applies for pretty much every single location) and fail to see anything wrong with that ;)
After having read all the threads related to AC3 now, I must admit that I can now see AC3 set during the American Revolution, supposed it's not ultra-patriotic; but on the other hand, AC games never were.
Nonetheless, I'm still hoping that the game will feature both the American and the French Revolution.

Eh, that's not constructive criticism. Constructive criticism is criticism given to improve something. Seeing as the game has already been under development for 3 years, arguing why a certain setting is good or not is pointless and therefore not constructive.
Constructive criticism may not be the correct word. Neither is whining though, at least in this thread. I know that there are a lot of people around the forum boards who are complaining without giving any reason. I enjoyed this thread though, since everybody (and I mean everybody, not only the ones who are against an American setting) gave good arguments for their opinion.

LightRey
03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Constructive criticism may not be the correct word. Neither is whining though, at least in this thread. I know that there are a lot of people around the forum boards who are complaining without giving any reason. I enjoyed this thread though, since everybody (and I mean everybody, not only the ones who are against an American setting) gave good arguments for their opinion.

I agree with that.

brick177
03-01-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm in a minority I think, but I would continue to stress the idea that it could very well be both the American and French Revolutions. The French Revolution on its own only spans 10 years, as does the American Revolution. AC2 without expansions spanned almost 30 years of upheaval in Italy. 30 years in AC3 can easily capture both revolutions with time to spare! French and American politics fed off of each other at the time, they were the first overthrows of monarchies. I'm hoping for both, because just one or the other won't be a full game in my opinion.

LordWolv
03-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Some very interesting points, guys, this is great - Gives me a good read.

SleezeRocker
03-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Im American myself and I completely agree with Isaac.
I would like to see an AC setting of Spain or Latin America (that isn't USA) considering im hispanic lol
If we have a USA Assassin, I think rather see, you know, an 'American' Assassin (Native American) ;)

But all in all, i'll still play it!

Nomad86x
03-01-2012, 05:53 PM
The setting I least wanted to see was American Revolution. But if Ubisoft can make it work, I'll still support it. My only fear is that they picked this time period not because they had an interesting story to tell or awesome gameplay mechanic to implement, but because the Ubisoft brass decided an Ameri-centric game would sell more copies.

^ Love this, that is absolutely how I feel - I have faith in Ubisoft, yes I would have liked to see another time/place, but if they can make it work, hats off to them. My main concern is the exact same, that it's a money grab, not plot development.

kriegerdesgottes
03-01-2012, 05:55 PM
It was my second choice after French Revolution which I think is still a possible reality considering it happened in 1789. The idea is growing on me more and more and although as an American, I would rather see something more exotic and foreign like more Europe, the more I see or hear about the game the more excited I get for it. I don't like the boots and the necklace though. I hope we can change that in the game but the rest of the character I have to say looks exactly the way I wanted him too. I'm pretty psyched.

ThiagoRichter
03-01-2012, 06:16 PM
The French Revolution + the American Revolution would be the ideal balance, from what I gather. We would still get all the landmarks and conflicts from France, and still get all of the plot possibilities from the USA. I know Desmond will probably go to NYC, and that would be great, I think. Contemporary New York should be REALLY interesting, if they decide to explore it as an open city. TONS of people, TONS of tall and iconic buildings... But that's for the Desmond plot.
I'm still not sure about how 18th century USA would work into the AC dynamics, but as long as we also get France, it's a more than welcome addition. The more, the merrier, when you get a 3-year development time.

Apirka
03-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Personally I don't really want an American Ancestor because I fear that would tie whatever Desmond needs from him to the Grand Temple -- and I like the idea that he learned everything he needs there from Ezio and Altair, with ACIII's ancestor having a different role. I would have been far happier with getting modern America for Desmond and some other place for the ancestor.

notafanboy
03-01-2012, 06:29 PM
The French Revolution + the American Revolution would be the ideal balance, from what I gather. We would still get all the landmarks and conflicts from France, and still get all of the plot possibilities from the USA. I know Desmond will probably go to NYC, and that would be great, I think. Contemporary New York should be REALLY interesting, if they decide to explore it as an open city. TONS of people, TONS of tall and iconic buildings... But that's for the Desmond plot.
I'm still not sure about how 18th century USA would work into the AC dynamics, but as long as we also get France, it's a more than welcome addition. The more, the merrier, when you get 3 a 3-year development time.

this

LordWolv
03-01-2012, 06:33 PM
It's official, Assassin's Creed III is moving to america.
fuu-

scout455
03-01-2012, 06:35 PM
In my opinion America will be one of tge best places to place an AC game. i can't wait to use the new gadget. i think it would be cool to visit The American Revolution during the 1700s. i just have one question.....will the main characters a decendant of Altair or Ezio?

LordWolv
03-01-2012, 06:38 PM
It's official. Assassin's creed is going to the American Revolution.
*sigh*
I have full trust in Ubisoft, I've been loyal to them and I KNOW they're going to make an amazing game. I KNOW they will put the best into the new setting.

But I think it could be better. :(

ThiagoRichter
03-01-2012, 06:40 PM
it's official. Assassin's creed is going to the american revolution.
*sigh*
i have full trust in ubisoft, i've been loyal to them and i know they're going to make an amazing game. I know they will put the best into the new setting.

But i think it could be better. :(
Word.

brick177
03-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Don't sigh too heavily Isaac. While what you say about them doing a good job is true, it also won't be the last AC.

LordWolv
03-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Don't sigh too heavily Isaac. While what you say about them doing a good job is true, it also won't be the last AC.
True I suppose. I know they'll do an amazing job, I just.. I'm going to facepalm. I know it. I know they're going to end up glorifying it.

freddie_1897
03-01-2012, 06:47 PM
I really, really hope that they don't use a bow and arrow, and i hope they stuck to a hidden gun

brick177
03-01-2012, 06:52 PM
If the past AC's are any indication, they will not glorify it. The American Revolution is so over-glorified that a true depiction of it would be unrecognizable to most. The fact that the assassin is a Native means there will probably be no shortage of the injustices that befell the Native population and in all liklihood it will show that America today has forgotten the true meanings of its founding and the original intentions of the people who founded it.

YuurHeen
03-01-2012, 06:54 PM
because it will be with a native before america was america i doubt it will be very america loving.

apresmode
03-01-2012, 07:05 PM
This is going to be great. The founding Fathers are Templars / Freemasons. George Washington has a POE. Native Assassin. No reason they can't go to France afterwards. There was a big split in opinion amongst early Americans regarding the French Revolution. Maybe a split amongst the templars. Some siding with Assassins and some Assassins siding with Templars. Sorry most of that is not complete sentences I'm just really excited for this!

brick177
03-01-2012, 07:06 PM
My guess is that although he fights for America, he might not be entirely on their side. Assassins are independent and work with organizations only as long as those groups serve the Assassin's purposes.

apresmode
03-01-2012, 07:08 PM
True I suppose. I know they'll do an amazing job, I just.. I'm going to facepalm. I know it. I know they're going to end up glorifying it.

I really don't think they're going to glorify America. They may not denigrate it entirely though. The Assassin is a Native American. They've suffered enough at the hands of Europeans and colonials. The founders of America are Templars. We'll probably be killing them along with some British Royalists I'm sure. I thought France would be cool too, but there's no reason this story can't take place over a couple of decades and move to France. American history is probably a lot more interesting than you may think. Ubisoft Montreal will tell a great story. Don't worry.

Torvaldesq
03-01-2012, 07:54 PM
First, I do not believe the assassin will be a native american. I think people making that assumption off of some aspects of his clothing are being a bit silly. Sure, an assassin may take some training from a native american (I mean, a bow and arrow would be more silent than a musket), but I'd expect an assassin to master all the weapons commonly used in the territories they operate in. Desmond's ancestor would have to be a descendant of Ezio. Now, I'm sure you could shoehorn in a native american ancestor if you absolutely needed to, but the chances are overwhelming that a descendant of Ezio will be among the colonials.

Second, this "glorify America" complaint is absurd. Different places are more and less interesting depending on the timeframe. If you don't think that this era naturally lends itself to a giant heap of glory, you're blind. The only legitimate complaint I could see is over-saturation of a historical era (combined with location) for game development. That sure as hell has not happened with the revolutionary period in American history. Now, if they were releasing, "Call of Duty: Assassin's Creed", and we went over in WWII killing a million Nazi's from rooftops wearing American icons, then I would complain. That's not to say I'm not supportive of the idea that the assassin might also travel to France or other countries. Ezio travelled around the world, so could this guy. As far as structural history goes, New York was better developed than you'd expect for the time period. I'm not worried that we won't have things to climb. Maybe they're also improving climbing and integrating it into more natural terrain rather than city terrain. Maybe they want to emphasize new stealth mechanics in the next game (it could use some innovation, as much as I love it). There is also no shortage of landmarks in the US, both man-made and natural (remember, those history databases tended to spend a lot of time describing the future-history of places as much as the past-history, from the perspective of the ancestor you played as).

Third, this is exactly where the story should go. This is supposed to be Desmond's climactic game. He's in the US at the end of Revelations. We have good reason to think that Desmond will dominate much more of this game than he has the others, even if we still look through an ancestor for new information. If he's active at all in these cities, the most fertile ground for linking the stories is having him and his ancestor operating in exactly the same area. The idea that they set it in America because they think patriotism is going to sell more copies.... I think it's ridiculous. The franchise has built up a substantial following already; sure they will want more people to play the third one, and maybe some people might think that iconic American imagery is cool and will want to jump in on the last game in the series rather than the first, but given how late in the series it is and how confusing the story would be to someone jumping in just for the last game, I really doubt that's what drove any decision. If they get any benefits from it, it is incidental. Maybe they put a bit more Ameircan iconographic images in their advertising to drive up the chatter. That's fine. This feels very much like the natural story progression. Maybe it's just me, but I love the imagery of time displacement when a character is in a building that existed hundreds of years earlier, and he sees both time periods, even more fun if it's simultaneous (yay Bleeding Effect!).

Anyhow, I just wanted to let Ubisoft know I'm excited and pleased by their choice. If the rumor is true that the series will continue past this next game, then they've got all the time in the world to visit other historical periods and places.

YuurHeen
03-01-2012, 07:55 PM
First, I do not believe the assassin will be a native american. I think people making that assumption off of some aspects of his clothing are being a bit silly. Sure, an assassin may take some training from a native american (I mean, a bow and arrow would be more silent than a musket), but I'd expect an assassin to master all the weapons commonly used in the territories they operate in. Desmond's ancestor would have to be a descendant of Ezio. Now, I'm sure you could shoehorn in a native american ancestor if you absolutely needed to, but the chances are overwhelming that a descendant of Ezio will be among the colonials.

Second, this "glorify America" complaint is absurd. Different places are more and less interesting depending on the timeframe. If you don't think that this era naturally lends itself to a giant heap of glory, you're blind. The only legitimate complaint I could see is over-saturation of a historical era (combined with location) for game development. That sure as hell has not happened with the revolutionary period in American history. Now, if they were releasing, "Call of Duty: Assassin's Creed", and we went over in WWII killing a million Nazi's from rooftops wearing American icons, then I would complain. That's not to say I'm not supportive of the idea that the assassin might also travel to France or other countries. Ezio travelled around the world, so could this guy. As far as structural history goes, New York was better developed than you'd expect for the time period. I'm not worried that we won't have things to climb. Maybe they're also improving climbing and integrating it into more natural terrain rather than city terrain. Maybe they want to emphasize new stealth mechanics in the next game (it could use some innovation, as much as I love it). There is also no shortage of landmarks in the US, both man-made and natural (remember, those history databases tended to spend a lot of time describing the future-history of places as much as the past-history, from the perspective of the ancestor you played as).

Third, this is exactly where the story should go. This is supposed to be Desmond's climactic game. He's in the US at the end of Revelations. We have good reason to think that Desmond will dominate much more of this game than he has the others, even if we still look through an ancestor for new information. If he's active at all in these cities, the most fertile ground for linking the stories is having the him and his ancestor operating in exactly the same area. The idea that they set it in America because they think patriotism is going to sell more copies.... I think it's ridiculous. The franchise has built up a substantial following already; sure they will want more people to play the third one, and maybe some people might think that iconic American imagery is cool and will want to jump in on the last game in the series rather than the first, but given how late in the series it is and how confusing the story would be to someone jumping in just for the last game, I really doubt that's what drove any decision. If they get any benefits from it, it is incidental. Maybe they put a bit more Ameircan iconographic images in their advertising to drive up the chatter. That's fine. This feels very much like the natural story progression, given where Desmond is. Maybe it's just me, but I love the imagery of time displacement when a character is in a building that existed hundreds of years earlier, and he sees both time periods, even more fun if it's simultaneous (yay Bleeding Effect!).

Anyhow, I just wanted to let Ubisoft know I'm excited and pleased by their choice. If the rumor is true that the series will continue past this next game, then they've got all the time in the world to visit other historical periods and places.

look at the covers, it is a native.

reini03
03-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Desmond's ancestor would have to be a descendant of Ezio. Now, I'm sure you could shoehorn in a native american ancestor if you absolutely needed to, but the chances are overwhelming that a descendant of Ezio will be among the colonials.

No, not really. AltaÔr and Ezio aren't related to each other either, soo...

RzaRecta357
03-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Look at the dudes face. He's totally native.

brick177
03-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I think the game will be such that if people bought it expecting a glorified America they would be as wrong as someone buying AC1 and expecting glorified Crusades or AC2 and expecting a glorified Catholic Church.

De Filosoof
03-01-2012, 08:00 PM

Remember that leak from an employee a month ago?
He told that it was going to be in America with snow and stuff.
He also told it was going to be a half blood native.
That makes very much sense if you ask me.
He can still look like a native but have a colonist mom or dad.

De Filosoof
03-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I think the game will be such that if people bought it expecting a glorified America they would be as wrong as someone buying AC1 and expecting glorified Crusades or AC2 and expecting a glorified Catholic Church.

This.

stingray10
03-01-2012, 08:03 PM
I swear i am so angry for the Assassin's creed series to go to America! This is why i buy AC, to get away from Americans and their culture. I really am disappointed, America is one of the most culturless places in the world. I want to see France, the UK or Egypt. I know exactly what Ubisoft is doing, glorifying America (as the biggest market is the US) americans are automatically going to go to be blubbering with happiness.

lilshawty741
03-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Just because he's part native American doesn't meant he assassins blood comes from the American side. Or it could and this guy or one of his descendents has a kid with a descendent of ezio or Altair.

D.I.D.
03-01-2012, 08:10 PM
I swear i am so angry for the Assassin's creed series to go to America! This is why i buy AC, to get away from Americans and their culture. I really am disappointed, America is one of the most culturless places in the world. I want to see France, the UK or Egypt. I know exactly what Ubisoft is doing, glorifying America (as the biggest market is the US) americans are automatically going to go to be blubbering with happiness.

If they're accurate to the history, you will see French and English culture. And Spanish, and Portuguese, Scottish, Irish, German and Dutch.

If your chosen location is not featured now, as my favourite is not, that's no bad thing. It means we'll get an even better version of it down the line for the next gen of consoles and graphics cards.

Torvaldesq
03-01-2012, 08:12 PM

I've seen the covers. People saying it's a native american are making a leap. As I said, it would be expected that an assassin would possibly pick up training among them at some point. As far as the shadowed face goes, it could be a broad range of descent. Nothing about it makes me think that there's any definitive reason to believe it's native american. I'm not saying it couldn't be, just that the genetic history is a bit awkward given Ezio and Altair being your ancestors. It could still be done though. Have one of Ezio's descendants come over with colonists, at some point have that descendant abandon the colonists and move in with a native american tribe, and the new assassin has mixed heritage. That would be the natural starting place though, the "mixed heritage", I don't see them going one step further back on the native american side. It reduces too much potential for being able to move easily among colonials. I think the story flows less well if you start making other ancestor lines not coming from Ezio or Altair randomly come into contact with and join the assassins, and have those other ancestor lines be fortunate enough to also be descended from those super rare humans with "eagle vision."

brick177
03-01-2012, 08:16 PM
I have to take exception to America being termed "culturless". If you mean it doesn't have a homogenous culture, then yes. France is French, England is British, Italy is Italian. America isn't American though, it is all those combined. I'm an American, but on one side I am Italian and on the other I am Irish. Two VERY different cultures, and I enjoy both equally for their differences. But lacking culture? America is anything but.

Sephrick
03-01-2012, 08:20 PM
We can't help it we're so awesome. That's hot. Fist pump.

This post has been brought to you by: Coca-Cola, Old Navy and the film John Carter -- in theaters March 9.

WTAStudios
03-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Thank you OP, this is exactly how I feel. A game that finally take me somewhere other than America and Guns, and how does the franchise end...

I was really happy when I found rumors on Feudal Japan, Ancient Egypt, the French Revolution, the English Renaissance, settings with such enriched culture and beautiful architecture as you say. Then today when I saw the box art. It was unbelievably disappointing, I'm strongly hoping this is somehow fake, but I'm sure its not, in which case it really sucks. Because it's not like I can play another game anything like this. A game to boldly go in a new culture accurate to history.

The only game I ever found to compare to AC would be the Elder Scrolls series, which is incredible, but its nice to have a game thats accurate towards history

EnXess
03-01-2012, 08:26 PM
I have to take exception to America being termed "culturless". If you mean it doesn't have a homogenous culture, then yes. France is French, England is British, Italy is Italian. America isn't American though, it is all those combined. I'm an American, but on one side I am Italian and on the other I am Irish. Two VERY different cultures, and I enjoy both equally for their differences. But lacking culture? America is anything but.
Exactly, you call yourself Irish and Italian whilst being born American. In any other country you'd just call yourself by your birth country. It proves America's lack of culture in the fact you latch onto your ancestor's cultures for definition and not your own. I have Scottish, Romanian and French blood in me but I'm English and don't consider myself anything but, I'm just knowledgeable of my bloodline.

brick177
03-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Exactly, you call yourself Irish and Italian whilst being born American. In any other country you'd just call yourself by your birth country. It proves America's lack of culture in the fact you latch onto your ancestor's cultures for definition and not your own. I have Scottish, Romanian and French blood in me but I'm English and don't consider myself anything but, I'm just knowledgeable of my bloodline.

And I'm saying we celebrate the cultures of our bloodlines. Few cities around the world have entire neighborhoods devoted to the many cultures of immigrant populations like the cities of North America. Just becuase a nation like England only celebrates English culture, doesn't give it more culture. If anything it gives it less culture than a country that celebrates many.

D.I.D.
03-01-2012, 08:36 PM
And I'm saying we celebrate the cultures of our bloodlines. Few cities around the world have entire neighborhoods devoted to the many cultures of immigrant populations like the cities of North America. Just becuase a nation like England only celebrates English culture, does give it more culture. If anything it gives it less culture than a country that celebrates many.

That's not really true. England has Jewish, Indian, Bangladeshi areas in many major and minor cities and towns, same for lots of different cultures: Chinese, Caribbean, and many more. And we all celebrate them too (though of course some people are intolerant racists, but so it goes). The one history we don't celebrate as much is the history of white England, because we know all of its shameful aspects too well, but we commemorate it.

RzaRecta357
03-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Wow buddy. That face is pure native. Stop denying it.

brick177
03-01-2012, 08:41 PM
That's not really true. England has Jewish, Indian, Bangladeshi areas in many major and minor cities and towns, same for lots of different cultures: Chinese, Caribbean, and many more. And we all celebrate them too (though of course some people are intolerant racists, but so it goes). The one history we don't celebrate as much is the history of white England, because we know all of its shameful aspects too well, but we commemorate it.

Then I don't see how our countries are different in the modern sense. I would posit that because North American countries are younger we have stronger cultural ties to our ancestral roots and think more of the countries themselves as a society constructed from that fabric. And there is an "American" culture today, but it is multiculture and isn't homogenous, and 250 years ago it was even more connected to its roots.

tarrero
03-01-2012, 08:42 PM
My only concern is the architectural one, because lets face it, at that period american cities were "babies" in comparison to those in Europe.

stingray10
03-01-2012, 08:42 PM
What i am trying to say is that America is not defined by culture. It has no culture of its own, it is made up of all different ones because there has never been a culture which is predominant there. It doesn't have a particular religious view, no particular architecture, no particular cuisine, no particular mindset. To me this represents a lack of culture and this is what makes me angry. I play AC becasue i experience different cultures from Italian to Turkish, which shows different and interesting views. When i think of America i can only think of iphones and technology etc. But there we go, if you don't my views that's fine.

RzaRecta357
03-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Except they refer to themselves as a god fearing country and are mostly Catholic?

D.I.D.
03-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Then I don't see how our countries are different in the modern sense. I would posit that because North American countries are younger we have stronger cultural ties to our ancestral roots and think more of the countries themselves as a society constructed from that fabric. And there is an "American" culture today, but it is multiculture and isn't homogenous, and 250 years ago it was even more connected to its roots.

Well this is the odd thing. I lived in the States and Canada for a number of years, so I know what EnXess is getting at. It is a bit strange to have people tell you proudly that they're an eighth this and a sixteenth that, as though it would be somehow less good to be simply North American, or as if these "bloodlines" actually confer any qualities upon a person. Maybe you're one of those rare people who really know a lot about the countries of their heritage, but for most people I encountered it basically boiled down to food. They didn't know the languages of their heritage beyond a smattering of mispronounced words, didn't know the history, didn't know the major locations. Most were even a bit clueless about what that food was supposed to taste like.

So yeah, that does come across as a kind of cultural insecurity. No big deal though.

n3krOiZ
03-01-2012, 08:51 PM
if i'm not wrong, american revolution was powared by french revolution or french revolution was powared by american revolution (one is at 1775 and the other at 1789) and i think Ubisoft could use it in their favor.

I don't think it will be a american native as a main character, remember it MUST be desmond's ancestor as well as be an hybrid. Maybe he's a french guy (it's near itally so ezio could be his ancestor) that goes to america (maybe helping natives cuz he's against the american revolutionary templars) but noticing he failed he goes back to france. French revolution... fail again, but the leaders of the templars (both french and american) discovered the temple at the news USA and both leads there, our protagonist discovers it and goes back to america in order to prevent them, he discovers how to open the temple and after defeating both leaders, he closes it again. Now desmond knows how to open the temple.

As for the temple, they could do something like the temple of the "National Teasure 2" movie (Nicolas Cage is the protagonist).

Everyone would be happy and it would make more sense then a native american (unless the native american get some hot scene with a british settler).

EnXess
03-01-2012, 08:51 PM
The point I feel is that there's no uniqueness to it.

D.I.D.
03-01-2012, 08:59 PM
What i am trying to say is that America is not defined by culture. It has no culture of its own, it is made up of all different ones because there has never been a culture which is predominant there. It doesn't have a particular religious view

Separation of Church and state is considered a pretty major idea in worldwide politics. Most of Europe sorted this out through lots of civil wars to arrive at an uneasy secularism.

no particular architecture

The skyscraper? Grid blocks? There aren't many places with truly unique architecture, but you know pretty quickly from photographs and film if you're looking at a US/Canadian setting.

no particular cuisine

Fair enough.

no particular mindset.

Ah come on. There are many mindsets that can be identified as American, celebrated and mocked in equal measure.

To me this represents a lack of culture and this is what makes me angry. I play AC becasue i experience different cultures from Italian to Turkish, which shows different and interesting views. When i think of America i can only think of iphones and technology etc. But there we go, if you don't my views that's fine.

Okay, there's nothing to really fight about here anyway. If you don't like the culture (or lack of it, as you may see it) in the modern US, that society didn't emerge until long after this era. You've put up with Desmond himself until now, and he's the dullest of 21st century bros. AC3's ancestral period is not going to resemble "America, F Yeah" in any way.

brick177
03-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Well this is the odd thing. I lived in the States and Canada for a number of years, so I know what EnXess is getting at. It is a bit strange to have people tell you proudly that they're an eighth this and a sixteenth that, as though it would be somehow less good to be simply North American, or as if these "bloodlines" actually confer any qualities upon a person. Maybe you're one of those rare people who really know a lot about the countries of their heritage, but for most people I encountered it basically boiled down to food. They didn't know the languages of their heritage beyond a smattering of mispronounced words, didn't know the history, didn't know the major locations. Most were even a bit clueless about what that food was supposed to taste like.

So yeah, that does come across as a kind of cultural insecurity. No big deal though.

Well, I'm sorry you met such Americans. When I travel abroad I call myself American and I make every effort learn about and experience local culture. I don't think people try to distance themselves from being American or try to make themselves somehow more unique, America's uniqueness comes from the fact that it isn't unique. WIthin the whole of Europe it is quite easy to experience many other cultures rather cheaply and easily. Unless you live near French Canada or Mexico, most Americans can never aford to travel abroad, so I understand the "un-cultured" -ness that Europeans must expeirence when they visit. There are huge differences depending on where you visit too, because we might all be American but then we also subdivide our identities pretty strongly by state too. (At least in the US, Canadians less so except for the French / English divide). And every state has its own culture.

As far as the revolutionary era, the architecture would have been Imperial Style and built similar to the cities of Europe at the time.

rileypoole1234
03-01-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm not so sure this vision of America will be a good one in AC3. It looks quite crappy to be honest. Cold, dark, and snowy. George Washington was a Templar so he will no doubt be an enemy. Overall from what we've seen I'm quite pleased.

brick177
03-01-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm not expecting a yankee doodle dandy patriotic display with this at all. If the other ACs are any indication, Ubisoft will be dispelling any notions of cherry pickedand rosy history we may have.

Torvaldesq
03-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Wow buddy. That face is pure native. Stop denying it.

Really? So you've never seen a European with a dark complexion? It's a face shadowed by a hood. All the native talk is based - almost entirely - around the clothes and weapons people see. Like I said before, if he's native, then he's going to be mixed. It won't be "pure native" unless they want to break from Ezio's or Altair's line of descent (which would be pretty lame, with all the weight they put on how rare the genetic trait is that carries a natural affinity for "Eagle Vision" and "Eagle Sense"). The way I see it, it's either a darkly complexioned European or someone who is only part native american (or the cover's concept art is slightly off from what we'll ultimately see - which is not altogether uncommon either). I don't really care which of the two it is, but it starts to dilute the importance of the genetic lines if they keep focusing on new lines that - by fortunate chance - just happen to have those genes giving them the same sixth sense. It also will make it more awkward to fit the organizational heritage in if the character is purely native american.

We're all just speculating, and if I'm wrong that's fine, I'm sure they'll make an awesome game and I'll still love the story. I'm just saying that based on the line of ancestry, and the organizational origins of the Assassin's and Templars, I'd be very surprised if they went down an entirely new branch of the family tree with a character who begins with no cultural-heritage ties to either organization.

EnXess
03-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm not expecting a yankee doodle dandy patriotic display with this at all. If the other ACs are any indication, Ubisoft will be dispelling any notions of cherry pickedand rosy history we may have.
Funny little fact whilst we're on it, Yankee Doodle was a British song that the Redcoats used to sing to mock Americans. I find it awesome how it got turned around and used patriotically, it's true patriotism to do something like that.

Sephrick
03-01-2012, 09:32 PM

So it's okay for you to refer to your heritage but not Americans? I'm "Polish and Ukranian" but will always identify as American.

Granted America still is a young country, which is why people still speak of their heritage moreso than other countries but that doesn't mean we're "cultureless." The entire world is a mixture of borrowed and altered traditions and beliefs. America just happens to be the place where all those ideas come together.

I'm personally looking forward to what Ubisoft does with this setting.

I can think of no better time to show the rise of the Templars on the verge of the modern times. I believe this is going to be a knock-down, drag-out battle with both Templars and Assassins having members on both side vying for control while the regular citizens pay the price. In comes the unlikely hero, a native American whose people are being pushed to the sidelines.

The best kind of hero is one who is conflicted. Who does he side with? Who does he trust? What impact will his choices have on his own people?

We know the American government has beenn in Templar control, so it makes sense that what ever won them the war -- what Desmond knows he needs -- was brought to America, and in a final desperate act of heroism was hidden away by the AC3 ancestor.

As for architecture, colonial cities have some beautiful buildings. Sure, there may not be some huge ancient towers to scale, but what we may find is more underground TWCB areas to explore.

I don't claim to know any of this to be the plan. It's just my imagination running wild. But if they'r going to tie up lose ends this setting will serve them best. The end of the American Revolution will be a great place to end the ancestral portion of the story as we experience the contemporary finale. From the revolution we have enough information through side content to fill in the blanks about the development of "The Plan" and the eventual formation of Abstergo.

Sorry for the lengthy tangent, but I think it's incredibly short-sighted to knock a country you clearly don't understand just because the buildings here aren't as pretty. Just because the dumbest of us get on TV doesn't mean the actual citizens aren't proud of where they live.

America isn't limited to the "Bible-thumping, gun-toting uneducated rednecks" and "pseudo-intellectual, baby-killing gender-confused liberals" today's infotainment style news would have you believe. Most of us are just honest, hard-working people who are proud to live in a country built with the blood, sweat and tears of the world's underdogs.

FilipinoNinja67
03-01-2012, 09:33 PM

And it could show some native culture as well which is true American culture...

D.I.D.
03-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Well, I'm sorry you met such Americans. When I travel abroad I call myself American and I make every effort learn about and experience local culture. I don't think people try to distance themselves from being American or try to make themselves somehow more unique, America's uniqueness comes from the fact that it isn't unique. WIthin the whole of Europe it is quite easy to experience many other cultures rather cheaply and easily. Unless you live near French Canada or Mexico, most Americans can never aford to travel abroad, so I understand the "un-cultured" -ness that Europeans must expeirence when they visit. There are huge differences depending on where you visit too, because we might all be American but then we also subdivide our identities pretty strongly by state too. (At least in the US, Canadians less so except for the French / English divide). And every state has its own culture.

As far as the revolutionary era, the architecture would have been Imperial Style and built similar to the cities of Europe at the time.

Your last point: yeah, that's where I'm confused about the objections - AC3's architecture will be strongly flavoured by the architecture of Europe. It sounds like people want to punish an old era because of their feelings about the US's last hundred years.

Don't get me wrong by the way. I know it sounds disrespectful, and to an extent it is, but my position is more one of "Aw, hey, you don't have to do this! You've actually got a load of great things you've given to the world which are all your own!". There's no need to lean on this other stuff, and for people from those countries it can be a bit painful to watch. I hope that makes some sense of what I'm struggling to communicate.

Also, yes, every state has different cultures, and it feels like there are maybe four superstates you could form from them, in terms of a certain amount of shared politics. There's just so much going on at once, which is possibly why so many people have a bad impression of the nation as a whole - it's got so many contradicting movements, so there are always loud voices coming from every corner at once, and therefore outsiders are always going to be able to hear something they find unpleasant.

brick177
03-01-2012, 09:43 PM
America isn't limited to the "Bible-thumping, gun-toting uneducated rednecks" and "pseudo-intellectual, baby-killing gender-confused liberals" today's infotainment style news would have you believe. Most of us are just honest, hard-working people who are proud to live in a country built with the blood, sweat and tears of the world's underdogs.

Here here! As the giant statue of Minerva that stands in New York harbor has etched,

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

EnXess
03-01-2012, 09:58 PM
So it's okay for you to refer to your heritage but not Americans? I'm "Polish and Ukranian" but will always identify as American.

Granted America still is a young country, which is why people still speak of their heritage moreso than other countries but that doesn't mean we're "cultureless." The entire world is a mixture of borrowed and altered traditions and beliefs. America just happens to be the place where all those ideas come together.
I never said that. I said I was aware of my heritage but never acted as if I have the slightest contact with it. I've been to France and many other countries and their culture is nothing like my own despite my French heritage. I noted my heritage but then said it's irrelevant as my culture is only English. However many Americans identify as 'Italian-American' or 'Irish-American' when if they went to either countries they'd be at a loss as to how different the culture of those countries actually is and that clinging to your bloodline shows how "cultureless" a country is. However these problems are modern and wont relate back to ACIII so I don't really care, I'm joining the conversation generally not "ACIII WILL SUCK BECAUSE I HATE AMERICA!" because America during the revolution is an interesting place.

I'm personally looking forward to what Ubisoft does with this setting.

I can think of no better time to show the rise of the Templars on the verge of the modern times. I believe this is going to be a knock-down, drag-out battle with both Templars and Assassins having members on both side vying for control while the regular citizens pay the price. In comes the unlikely hero, a native American whose people are being pushed to the sidelines.

The best kind of hero is one who is conflicted. Who does he side with? Who does he trust? What impact will his choices have on his own people?
I agree actually, perhaps both sides are Templar controlled to create a perception of a struggle when in actuality nothing will change. Making sure they keep their empire whilst also pleasing rebels. Assassins could be a neutral party who realise it's all lies. I mean, how do you fight that? It'd be an amazing struggle.

As for architecture, colonial cities have some beautiful buildings. Sure, there may not be some huge ancient towers to scale, but what we may find is more underground TWCB areas to explore.
Agreed, the small-town colonial villages look brilliant and the game will at least feel very different to previous games.

Sorry for the lengthy tangent, but I think it's incredibly short-sighted to knock a country you clearly don't understand just because the buildings here aren't as pretty. Just because the dumbest of us get on TV doesn't mean the actual citizens aren't proud of where they live.

I don't know if the previous is aimed at me as I never said the buildings weren't pretty. I also understand a fair amount about American history and am fascinated by rare facts (there's a lot from the revolution that are quite funny). Also, I have nothing against America and just because I don't believe it has a strong culture doesn't mean I dislike it at all, Hell, there's nothing wrong with being cultureless. Also, your idea of liberals is quite funny seeing as most of us posting here (Europeans) live in fairly liberal societies with legal abortion and protection and acceptance for those who are 'gender confused'

Eziolala
03-01-2012, 10:05 PM
The skyscraper? Grid blocks? There aren't many places with truly unique architecture, but you know pretty quickly from photographs and film if you're looking at a US/Canadian setting.

That's because the majority of things are set in the US! :p

Couldn't help myself.

On topic...I don't know how I feel about this. I really didn't want the AC series to go American. That said, I am Australian and know little about America and American history. I guess this is another game that I'm going to be learning from! I'm trying to be excited, I really am...I just...I'm worried. I'm worried that AC will turn into just another game set in the US, you know? Like there aren't enough already. I don't have anything against people in the US, or the US itself, but man...I do get ****** off when everything has to be there. It's the over-use that I'm sick of.

I've seen people saying that it won't be like all those games, movies, tv shows...I hope they're right. I've already seen people going "**** yeah, America!" and **** like that. If the character is Native though, I don't think there will be much of that. I'd like if the character was Native. It all depends in which direction it goes, though. I can see how America makes sense considering Desmond is American and from South Dakota...However, there could have been a way around America, I'm sure of it...

I trust Ubisoft, I do. And I know they will do a great job and I am kind of excited...but I think that my hatred for the over-use of the US in everything is blinding me a bit right now. I'm going to wait and see how I feel on the 5th (well, it'll be the 6th for me...what's the use of being ahead of the US if I still have to wait?!)...I'm excited about everything but the location at this point. I hope that changes. I want to be excited about it...I just can't at the moment.

brick177
03-01-2012, 10:36 PM
I really haven't played any games set in America (with the exception of GTA) but maybe that's because as a history buff I play games that take place in other countries (you know, where the history is). I just really haven't seen a game do justice to Colonial America and I'm excited about that, both as an American and as a history buff. I feel like most games take place in either ficitonal lands or in Europe. I love European history and have no beef with that, just saying I think altogether America is under utilized in games. Now, in other entertainment (movies, tv shows, etc.) yes, America is WAY overused, just really haven't seen as many games set there as people keep talking about.

Captain Tomatoz
03-01-2012, 10:47 PM
I really haven't played any games set in America (with the exception of GTA) but maybe that's because as a history buff I play games that take place in other countries (you know, where the history is). I just really haven't seen a game do justice to Colonial America and I'm excited about that, both as an American and as a history buff. I feel like most games take place in either ficitonal lands or in Europe. I love European history and have no beef with that, just saying I think altogether America is under utilized in games. Now, in other entertainment (movies, tv shows, etc.) yes, America is WAY overused, just really haven't seen as many games set there as people keep talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_set_in_the_United_States

brick177
03-01-2012, 10:54 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_set_in_the_United_States

lol, guess I'm a bad gamer...

Dieinthedark
03-01-2012, 11:24 PM
I just don't want it because compared to European history, we're pretty boring.

n3krOiZ
03-02-2012, 12:18 AM
All the comments against the American Culture:

Don't you want to see many cultures? What's better then a country were ALL the cultures are mixed up and shown off as an all? I'm not American, i'm far from that, but i don't understand why the entire world HATES america, even my mom does -.-'

They are brilliant, with almost 300 years old they already dominate the world, i'm very interested to see it was born, who ubisoft paints as Templars and who they paint as Assassin's. But over all, i'm excited to see how will desmond save the world, and hope that desmond story doesn't get over and if it does, PLEASE, DO NOT RELEASE AC WITHOUT DESMOND, i'm desmond when i play ac :(

If Desmond is at NY in the entrance of the grand temple why would he see an ancestor that's NOT at america?

Dieinthedark
03-02-2012, 12:22 AM
All the comments against the American Culture:

Don't you want to see many cultures? What's better then a country were ALL the cultures are mixed up and shown off as an all? I'm not American, i'm far from that, but i don't understand why the entire world HATES america, even my mom does -.-'

They are brilliant, with almost 300 years old they already dominate the world, i'm very interested to see it was born, who ubisoft paints as Templars and who they paint as Assassin's. But over all, i'm excited to see how will desmond save the world, and hope that desmond story doesn't get over and if it does, PLEASE, DO NOT RELEASE AC WITHOUT DESMOND, i'm desmond when i play ac :(

If Desmond is at NY in the entrance of the grand temple why would he see an ancestor that's NOT at america?

Why do people hate us? WELL................it's called post-WWII and after- and a little government agency of the CIA....

But I will agree that Desmond must play a very large role in ACIII. The deadline approaches...

The13Doctors
03-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Why do people hate us? WELL................it's called post-WWII and after- and a little government agency of the CIA....

But I will agree that Desmond must play a very large role in ACIII. The deadline approaches...

Not really, while Desmond has a great story, the series doesn't need hiim, we can very well have games in history without a future user.

AC3 WILL be the end of Desmond, but not the series, confirmed long ago.

Mutley_Rulz
03-02-2012, 12:41 AM
If the rumours are true, and the British are portrayed as Templars, then yeah I'm just going to skip this game, and perhaps read about the Desmond part of the story. If however, they keep to their canon and portray the American leadership as Templars, then we have an interesting story where the Assassin is possibly being manipulated and will eventually seek revenge.

Either way though, I dislike the setting, using peroids of time like AC1's crusades and the Renaissance inspired me to learn about those times, and the cultural developments that followed. The American revolution just seems so bland in comparison.

EnXess
03-02-2012, 12:46 AM
All the comments against the American Culture:Don't you want to see many cultures? What's better then a country were ALL the cultures are mixed up and shown off as an all? I'm not American, i'm far from that, but i don't understand why the entire world HATES america, even my mom does -.-'They are brilliant, with almost 300 years old they already dominate the world, i'm very interested to see it was born, who ubisoft paints as Templars and who they paint as Assassin's. But over all, i'm excited to see how will desmond save the world, and hope that desmond story doesn't get over and if it does, PLEASE, DO NOT RELEASE AC WITHOUT DESMOND, i'm desmond when i play ac :(If Desmond is at NY in the entrance of the grand temple why would he see an ancestor that's NOT at america?Calm down, nobody here hates America. Dominate the world? That's a little excessive but I think you mean to say it's the richest, yes? The problem here is we have a vicious cycle.

Most people aren't 100% happy with the setting and that's okay but don't take it as a personal offense because then we get foolish comments like "they dominate the world" and THEN comes the anti-America backlash. Most countries don't like America because of the patriotism and self-importance and to be honest adhering to those stereotypes doesn't help anyone at all. Everyone just needs to chill out.

The issue I feel is that Assassins Creed always happens at important moments in human history and not just one countries history. The first game was based during some of the bloodiest wars in human history and ACII + were set in the Renaissance whilst tackling the most villainous Pope and the Ottoman empire thrown in to bolster two more Ezio games. Numbered games have been very important and the American revolution barely seems fitting to most people.

It's not because everyone hates America and people are allowed to have their own opinion about this without other people taking it as a personal insult.

brick177
03-02-2012, 12:47 AM
If the rumours are true, and the British are portrayed as Templars, then yeah I'm just going to skip this game, and perhaps read about the Desmond part of the story. If however, they keep to their canon and portray the American leadership as Templars, then we have an interesting story where the Assassin is possibly being manipulated and will eventually seek revenge.

Either way though, I dislike the setting, using peroids of time like AC1's crusades and the Renaissance inspired me to learn about those times, and the cultural developments that followed. The American revolution just seems so bland in comparison.

It's because it's more recent. Everything seems bland when it's not Pirates and Knights!

apresmode
03-02-2012, 12:58 AM
I think that the people saying that American history is boring really have very little knowledge of American history. Maybe this game will make you a little more interested in looking at it. You can go in depth in nearly any subject matter. So to say there is no history in America is ridiculous. You can find interesting ideas and stories all over whether you're looking at a long scope or a few days. People and societies all over the world can be endlessly surprising and fascinating.

brick177
03-02-2012, 01:04 AM
I think that the people saying that American history is boring really have very little knowledge of American history. Maybe this game will make you a little more interested in looking at it. You can go in depth in nearly any subject matter. So to say there is no history in America is ridiculous. You can find interesting ideas and stories all over whether you're looking at a long scope or a few days. People and societies all over the world can be endlessly surprising and fascinating.

I agree. With AC, with the Crusades, I knew it would be exciting. With AC2, the renaissance in Italy? I was remembering art and how boring I thought it was as a kid and wondering, what the heck happened in the renaissance? They proved me wrong! The American Revolution has a lot more too it than even most Americans know. The start of the war in Boston alone is a spectacular set of events! Boston Massacre, Boston Tea Party, Midnight Ride, the Battles of Lexington and Concord. Just the opening city.

GeneralTrumbo
03-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Not really, while Desmond has a great story, the series doesn't need hiim, we can very well have games in history without a future user.

AC3 WILL be the end of Desmond, but not the series, confirmed long ago.
Desmond plays a significant role. I LOVE the sci-fi plot, so do TONS of other people. They NEED to give Desmond justice in this game. Desmond NEEDS to play a bigger role than any other of the Assassin's Creeds. This is his last game. They need to do something for that! I'm not sure that I am too comfortable with their direction right now...not sure they can do much for the Desmond side of the story line...Crossing my fingers anyway...

SnazzyPanic
03-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Hmmm seem like it is

Sevenofnine-st
03-02-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm not keen about America being the new setting, mainly because its history certainly isn't as rich and deep as any country from the old continents. But if there's one thing I'm almost 100% sure of is that this game isn't going to be uber patriotic, in spite of the flag waving behind the new ancestor. Why? Because Ubisoft Montreal isn't an American developer.

The Canadian mentality, and especially that of people living here in Montreal, just isn't like that. As a matter of fact, most of us find the flag-waving attitude rather repulsive. Not to mention that the team who worked on this project is most likely very multicultural (isn't that what they say at the start of EVERY AC game?!). The only patriotic thing I've ever seen in AC so far is Ezio's birthday. And even then, chances are that anyone who doesn't live in Quebec wouldn't even know what it refers to. :)

I think the fact that the new ancestor is Native American is a great idea in terms of all the weaponry he'll be able to use, especially for ranged weapons.

NoCrowdedSky
03-02-2012, 01:21 AM
If it is set in the 1700s there still can be room to fit the French revolution into the game as many ideas like that of new ideas could challenge the existing forms or government or power which was influenced by the ideas and events of the American revolution, so they might be able to to do something with that? Basically the "American spirit"

ShadowRage41
03-02-2012, 01:22 AM
I expect the game to be more like AC 1 as far as aligning factions. I know some of the Mohawk tribes supported Great Britain. others the colonist. The Seminoles also supported Great Britain. Oneidas and Tuscaroras, fought with the Americans. As you know France supported the American colonies ect. It should do the AC franchise justice. I expect Ubisoft to do a bang up job on it. JMHO

brick177
03-02-2012, 01:33 AM
Montreal might even be a city in the game as a siege occurred just outside the city during the war.

FrankieSatt
03-02-2012, 02:19 AM
It has to be America if Assassin's Creed is going to end. Whether you agree or not the main story line IS Desmond. It seems to me like they are HOPEFULLY going to finish up the series with ACIII. They have dragged it out enough and it's now time to finally defeat the Templars and end the series.

I know no one wants to hear it, but I'm standing by what I posted.

America is a great place for it to end.

Toa TAK
03-02-2012, 02:48 AM
In the end, does it matter? It's still going to be in the US no matter what. Better then Italy twice in a row.

SixKeys
03-02-2012, 03:03 AM
In the end, does it matter? It's still going to be in the US no matter what. Better then Italy twice in a row.

I disagree. Italy twice in a row still sounds more interesting than the Revolutionary War.

jmk1999
03-02-2012, 05:42 AM
let's stay on topic, guys... clearly this game is about colonial america and the revolution... NOT present day america.

anyway, i really don't see anything wrong with this concept, so long as there's plenty of what we grew to love in the other games, such as large open areas and lots of stuff to climb. at the time of the american revolution, you've got about 200+ years of civilized and european settled cities. sure, it's not as big as we see it today, but there were a number of buildings and established areas. including more than a dozen states and a clearly noticeable amount of culture developing. in regards to the religion, the majority of the US was ACTIVELY christian at the time which seems to make sense when coming from europe. also, since america was settled by europeans, you'll most likely be seeing a number of european inspired elements... i wouldn't sweat all this so much. after all, how many games can you name that are based on the american revolution? done to death??? i think not.:rolleyes:

LordWolv
03-02-2012, 07:10 AM
let's stay on topic, guys... clearly this game is about colonial america and the revolution... NOT present day america.

anyway, i really don't see anything wrong with this concept, so long as there's plenty of what we grew to love in the other games, such as large open areas and lots of stuff to climb. at the time of the american revolution, you've got about 200+ years of civilized and european settled cities. sure, it's not as big as we see it today, but there were a number of buildings and established areas. including more than a dozen states and a clearly noticeable amount of culture developing. in regards to the religion, the majority of the US was ACTIVELY christian at the time which seems to make sense when coming from europe. also, since america was settled by europeans, you'll most likely be seeing a number of european inspired elements... i wouldn't sweat all this so much. after all, how many games can you name that are based on the american revolution? done to death??? i think not.:rolleyes:
Like I've said, I have full trust that Ubisoft will make an amazing game out of america. I am aware that the revolution is a brilliant time, and assuming they don't glorify it, I think it will have all the aspects I'm expecting. But.. the point of this thread was, I think that the game would be better if they chose elsewhere. I'm not saying america is an awful place to go, just that it could have been better.

ABXantos
03-02-2012, 07:48 AM
The reason there is no other place to go than America.

Desmond in the present day is in New York. No sense having an ancestor in China or somewhere else in the past when the focus is trying to open the grand temple... in Present Day New York.

I can see them pull an Ezio with our new Native American Assassin with Desmond witnessing how he will open the grand temple (Much like Ezio witnessing the Vault and the Pythagorean Temple and Masyaf and the keys) and it may involve the use of a piece of eden once again. In an attempt to open it he may align with Washington (Known holding of the Piece of Eden) during the Revolution in order to obtain it through loyalty. However Washington might learn about this and might screw the Assassin over and he will never obtain the Apple. (This can tie into the fact why Washington doesn't run a third term, he gets black mailed or threatened or something similar by the Assassins

Which another thing. Napoleon is another known PoE holder. You guys still have a chance for France with our Assassin going to find it or attempt to take it from Napoleon since he is a military and political leader during the later stages of the French Revolution.

LordWolv
03-02-2012, 07:53 AM
The reason there is no other place to go than America.

Desmond in the present day is in New York. No sense having an ancestor in China or somewhere else in the past when the focus is trying to open the grand temple... in Present Day New York.

I can see them pull an Ezio with our new Native American Assassin with Desmond witnessing how he will open the grand temple (Much like Ezio witnessing the Vault and the Pythagorean Temple and Masyaf and the keys) and it may involve the use of a piece of eden once again. In an attempt to open it he may align with Washington (Known holding of the Piece of Eden) during the Revolution in order to obtain it through loyalty. However Washington might learn about this and might screw the Assassin over and he will never obtain the Apple. (This can tie into the fact why Washington doesn't run a third term, he gets black mailed or threatened or something similar by the Assassins

Which another thing. Napoleon is another known PoE holder. You guys still have a chance for France with our Assassin going to find it or attempt to take it from Napoleon since he is a military and political leader during the later stages of the French Revolution.
Oh, hello. Nice to see you here..
That is the obvious way to find the opening to the temple, going back in America's past. They could have equally decided that there were codes (or something, you know what I mean) in the French Revolution, so Desmond had to go back as an ancestor to find the 'codes'. And, yes, I suppose; we may encounter some french gameplay.

Eziolala
03-02-2012, 08:03 AM
To be honest I'm rather disappointed that there's a new character at all. I like the Desmond part, and it seemed like all the previous games (especially AC:R) were leading up to a game with just Desmond. What's the point of going through all that, and knowing what he needs to do just to go back into the animus again? I dunno. Since there's 3 main titles, I think there should be 3 main characters, not 4. However I'm sure Ubisoft will do good a job.

LordWolv
03-02-2012, 08:15 AM
To be honest I'm rather disappointed that there's a new character at all. I like the Desmond part, and it seemed like all the previous games (especially AC:R) were leading up to a game with just Desmond. What's the point of going through all that, and knowing what he needs to do just to go back into the animus again? I dunno. Since there's 3 main titles, I think there should be 3 main characters, not 4. However I'm sure Ubisoft will do good a job.
Having just Desmond would defeat what AC is so famous for, recreating the past brilliantly. It will never happen unfortunately.

Eziolala
03-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Having just Desmond would defeat what AC is so famous for, recreating the past brilliantly. It will never happen unfortunately.

This is true. I never believed that there would end up being an all-Desmond game because, as you said, the historical aspect of the game is one of the main reasons people play the Assassin's Creed series (myself included). I just hope there's more Desmond considering that AC3 is the end of his story, and that the AC franchise can always continue after AC3.

pirate1802
03-02-2012, 01:10 PM
This is true. I never believed that there would end up being an all-Desmond game because, as you said, the historical aspect of the game is one of the main reasons people play the Assassin's Creed series (myself included). I just hope there's more Desmond considering that AC3 is the end of his story, and that the AC franchise can always continue after AC3.

We would see more of Desmond, just not a 100% Desmond game. Like Isaac said, the historical aspect is a big reason people play it. I myself remember getting hooked to AC 1 after hearing it was about the crusades :D

TonberryFeye
03-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I've seen this coming for a long time, but now it's here I don't much like it.

The American CIVIL WAR would have been a fantastic choice of setting, but the American REVOLUTION? Not so much.

My biggest concern here is Team America syndrome. The cover itself is already exuding the same kind of **** that everyone outside of America is ****ing sick of.
For those who have somehow missed it, the picture is of an Assassin who is pinning down a British Redcoat, and is about to slam an axe into his skull. Meanwhile, the good old American Flag is waving proudly in the background.
I can already feel the bile rising in my throat at the prospect of being lectured about how terribly evil and wrong all Non-Americans are, and how Americans are the master race and are heroes because it isn't possible for an American to be unheroic.

Honestly, it's a missed opportunity. If the role had been reversed, that would have made for some **** interesting drama; the notion that the American Revolution was just an elaborate ploy by the Templars to beat down the British Government (who were trying to fight the Templars themselves) and claim the Pieces of Eden would be a **** evocative notion.
The other advantage to that plotline is it allows you to present a moral choice concept that is lose-lose: If the Templars win the Revolution, Americans get freedom, liberty and self-government... but a clandestine organisation gains power in the background, setting up a future that is ultimately far worse for everyone. By contrast, defeating the Templars would invariably have made life worse for the Americans... but in the long run, better for everyone.
That's a hard question to answer - do the needs of the many triumph? Is it right that entire generations should suffer because, later, their ancestors will prosper? Or, is it better to give the current generation peace and happiness, but **** their descendants?

Sad as it is to say, my faith in Ubisoft on this one is absent. I am not expecting this game to reach Brotherhood's lofty heights.

De Filosoof
03-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Ubisoft is always going deeper than the stuff you learn in history class at school.
I think this story will be far more complex with corrupt people on both sides.

UrDeviant1
03-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Just be sure to keep any cringey patriotism that the Americans are well known for out of the game and we shouldn't have too much of a problem. Although I do agree France, Egypt, England etc. do have a much richer history, I trust that Ubisoft will pull another great game out the bag. Oh and what's with the big American flag people are saying will be the box art? You never done that with Italy and previous AC titles, why now? :/

TonberryFeye
03-02-2012, 02:01 PM
That's one of the things that pisses me off so much.

If they had done it as a mirror - Americans under the Yankie Flag on one side, and Brits under the Union Flag on the other, that would have been fine. That imagery of opposing flags clashing above soldiers is a 'patriotically neutral' symbol. However, the box art instead chooses not to acknowledge the Union Flag, and so what is the eye drawn to? The American battle standard. A cringe-worthy, and utterly unneccesary choice.

brick177
03-02-2012, 02:35 PM
First, it is the flag of the Thirteen Colonies. It only became the US Flag later.

Second, the US was founded under principles and by people much different than the US today, so would there be something particularly wrong with glorifying an origin that modern Americans have lost touch with and should probably be reminded of?

Third, Ubisoft Montreal is not an American Company and the team is made of "a multicultural background of different faiths and beliefs" or whatever it says, I don't think we have to worry about things being overly patriotic. Remember, the 1700's brought about the rise of Nationalism, people rallied around flags and ideas. The French Revolution would be no different, just a different flag. We can't escape the flag waving from this era, it was present in the founding of all new republics.

Fourth, our Assassin is half or all Native American. Native Americans were treated poorly by both the British Colonists and the British Nationals, I'm sure we will get a taste of this injustice.

Conclusion: Ubisoft is making a game that will 1. Introduce the world to a more in depth understanding of a popular revolt against a monarchy, 2. Reintroduce Americans to the principles they stopped following so long ago.

There's no better irony than to put a mirror up to someones face and say, "See, it's not so great having foreign troops on your soil, waging a war for riches, and killing innocent civilians. Remember when it happened to you?"

clyde252525
03-02-2012, 02:50 PM
the building structures in France or any other European country would be too similar, they are trying to do something new with ac3. I'm guessing skyrim style open terrain with valleys and mountains. France and italy are way too similar. Egypt would be sick. American setting is perfect.

Sephrick
03-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Sad as it is to say, my faith in Ubisoft on this one is absent. I am not expecting this game to reach Brotherhood's lofty heights.

Honestly, your whole post sounds like you have some major animosity for contemporary America. Which is fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But to transpose that into a justification for what you assume is a thin plot is weak. For all we know Templars could be on both sides influencing the war as a cover for a larger scheme and the assassins are an outside party trying to stop them and survive the war, just like the native Americans.

And as for the flag, it's only historically accurate that the flag would be front and center. In the revolution and Civil War, being the standard-bearer was a place of honor. If the flag carrier died, the nearest soldier was expected to drop their weapon and pick up the flag to continue the flag leading the charge.

LordWolv
03-02-2012, 05:07 PM

If they had done it as a mirror - Americans under the Yankie Flag on one side, and Brits under the Union Flag on the other, that would have been fine. That imagery of opposing flags clashing above soldiers is a 'patriotically neutral' symbol. However, the box art instead chooses not to acknowledge the Union Flag, and so what is the eye drawn to? The American battle standard. A cringe-worthy, and utterly unneccesary choice.
Exactly. As said, glorification.

brick177
03-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Would we be having this discussion if it were the French Revolution and the French Flag was on the cover? If so, then that's fine, we can all dislike nationalism. If not, then the exception people are taking is with modern America and not colonial America. It's not the US flag, it's the colonial flag (yes, the modern flag is based on it) but they are not equivalent. If the colonial American flag really just reminds you of modern America, then you are being blinded by the same bias that people who thought AC1 was too pro-arab and AC2 was too anti-religious. Don't fall into those same myopic traps.

LordWolv
03-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Would we be having this discussion if it were the French Revolution and the French Flag was on the cover? If so, then that's fine, we can all dislike nationalism. If not, then the exception people are taking is with modern America and not colonial America. It's not the US flag, it's the colonial flag (yes, the modern flag is based on it) but they are not equivalent. If the colonial American flag really just reminds you of modern America, then you are being blinded by the same bias that people who thought AC1 was too pro-arab and AC2 was too anti-religious. Don't fall into those same myopic traps.
If the French flag was flying it would be just as glorifying, but we barely get any of that in countries other than america. While I know the previous games have been 'biased' in one way or another, America is ALWAYS glorified when a game is set there, and I knew that ACIII would also fall into that trap. As it looks, it probably has.

Colonial or not, it is the flag.

ShadowRage41
03-02-2012, 05:32 PM

Honestly I cannot think of any.... IMHO the native American slant is brilliant, whether the assassin is aligned with them, or is a native American. In truth they fought for both the British and Americans. and in the end both screwed them over. I think it will be much more interesting than people believe. Cities like Philadelphia still have colonial era buildings and homes. People need to relax.

gmoney8869
03-02-2012, 06:03 PM

Unnecessary? It's the plot of the game. They didn't put the American flag just cuz it look's nice. It's stating that the game is not neutral. Obviously from the cover, we are fighting for the Revolution, and the British are the enemy. We are fighting to create America. Pretty clear from the art of the guy shanking the Redcoat with the Stars and Stripes in the background.

jmk1999
03-02-2012, 06:11 PM
this discussion of anti anything NEEDS TO STOP. i've already warned someone for it, i will do it one last time. if anyone brings up another word about any form of hatred or animosity toward another group of people (american or otherwise) again... with the sole purpose of expressing their distaste for that particular group, heritage, race, or otherwise... i WILL pull out my BAN HAMMER. go ahead and keep trying... this community will get much smaller in the coming days. i've had enough.

TonberryFeye
03-02-2012, 06:21 PM
[/SIZE]
Honestly I cannot think of any.... IMHO the native American slant is brilliant, whether the assassin is aligned with them, or is a native American. In truth they fought for both the British and Americans. and in the end both screwed them over. I think it will be much more interesting than people believe. Cities like Philadelphia still have colonial era buildings and homes. People need to relax.
He's native American? That brings up sooo many questions... many of which I would rather not have an answer for.

I would actually have preferred him to have some kind of link to a previous assassin - give him Altair's bloodline, perhaps watered down a bit by intermixing with European lines, would have been a nice idea. I was originally going to say Italian, but I think Ezio has been done to death at this point, and making him the next link in Ezio's chain would have just made things that much worse...

LordWolv
03-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Dom, please, can you elaborate.. because I really can't survive another warning. I'm not offending anyone intentionally. This thread is focused on anti-America for an AC game, not generally, I have no problems with America. My point is that I think they could have picked a better place. Please tell me.. more..

LightRey
03-02-2012, 06:30 PM
He's part English part Native American.

Escoblades wrote a small article about it: http://www.xboxgamezone.co.uk/2012/03/02/assassins-creed-iii-first-details/

brick177
03-02-2012, 06:45 PM
There were many instances where Native Americans would raid colonial settlements and take women and children with them. Our new assassin is half European and half Native and grows up in his tribe's village. We apparently start off with him at this young point where we learn to climb trees and cliffs. Then the village is horribly ravished by a colonial attack where our Assassin to be decides to fight for justice.

D.I.D.
03-02-2012, 06:48 PM

Precisely.

LightRey
03-02-2012, 06:48 PM
There were many instances where Native Americans would raid colonial settlements and take women and children with them. Our new assassin is half European and half Native and grows up in his tribe's village. We apparently start off with him at this young point where we learn to climb trees and cliffs. Then the village is horribly ravished by a colonial attack where our Assassin to be decides to fight for justice.

Very interesting. So we'll be reliving his youth as well.

D.I.D.
03-02-2012, 06:49 PM
If the French flag was flying it would be just as glorifying, but we barely get any of that in countries other than america. While I know the previous games have been 'biased' in one way or another, America is ALWAYS glorified when a game is set there, and I knew that ACIII would also fall into that trap. As it looks, it probably has.

Colonial or not, it is the flag.

No. The flag just tells you where you are in the game.

TonberryFeye
03-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Unnecessary? It's the plot of the game. They didn't put the American flag just cuz it look's nice. It's stating that the game is not neutral. Obviously from the cover, we are fighting for the Revolution, and the British are the enemy. We are fighting to create America. Pretty clear from the art of the guy shanking the Redcoat with the Stars and Stripes in the background.

The lack of Neutrality is the problem.

Who do we fight for in AC1? The Assassins. We're not Christian, we're not Muslim, we're Altair - Neutral Party, acting for the Greater Good.

In AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations, we're Ezio. Whose side is Ezio on? Again, his own. In 2 he's hunting down the Templars responsible for the death of his family. By Brotherhood, he's arguably adopted the role of "stop the Templars and save the world". Revelations? I'd personally say he's on his own side once more... the important thing is Ezio, like Altair, is politically neutral. The only reason he's fighting against Rome / Venice / Whoever is because A) they are Templars, B) they are working for Templars, or C) they have sharp objects and don't want to hear his side of the story.

The idea that AC3 will have us playing as a Pro-American character who is fighting FOR AMERICA breaks flow. Again, we come to the flags; by showing the Assassin under a blatantly American flag, killing a blatantly British character, it sets a tone that goes against what the Assassins represent. What they SHOULD do is show both flags. Why? Because the image of the Assassin killing a British soldier with BOTH Flags displayed muddies the water. It shows the American Revolution concept just as clearly (if not more clearly), but it creates a very different message - it states "this game takes place with the Revoluion as a backdrop".

The same theme runs to all artwork - everything portrays the Assassin as Pro-America. No other Assassin artwork does this. Altair and Ezio are never shown pursuing a political agenda in this way. It would have been enough to give him a 18th century weapon, a Cherokee style weapon, and call it a day. Hell, if you want to be evocative, why not show a BURNING Colonial Flag to represent the nation being consumed by war?

But the choice they made? That rubs people the wrong way on so many levels, and they really should have known better.

Edit: Actually, to further the point - how do you think people would have reacted if AC1 showed Altair stabbing a Muslim with a Christian Cross hanging over him? Personally, I doubt that game would ever have seen launch due to the controversy it would have caused...

LightRey
03-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Aren't we jumping to conclusions here? We're not even completely sure which side the Assassins are fighting for and even if we did, we don't know their motivations for doing so.

D.I.D.
03-02-2012, 07:02 PM
The lack of Neutrality is the problem.

Who do we fight for in AC1? The Assassins. We're not Christian, we're not Muslim, we're Altair - Neutral Party, acting for the Greater Good.

In AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations, we're Ezio. Whose side is Ezio on? Again, his own. In 2 he's hunting down the Templars responsible for the death of his family. By Brotherhood, he's arguably adopted the role of "stop the Templars and save the world". Revelations? I'd personally say he's on his own side once more... the important thing is Ezio, like Altair, is politically neutral. The only reason he's fighting against Rome / Venice / Whoever is because A) they are Templars, B) they are working for Templars, or C) they have sharp objects and don't want to hear his side of the story.

The idea that AC3 will have us playing as a Pro-American character who is fighting FOR AMERICA breaks flow. Again, we come to the flags; by showing the Assassin under a blatantly American flag, killing a blatantly British character, it sets a tone that goes against what the Assassins represent. What they SHOULD do is show both flags. Why? Because the image of the Assassin killing a British soldier with BOTH Flags displayed muddies the water. It shows the American Revolution concept just as clearly (if not more clearly), but it creates a very different message - it states "this game takes place with the Revoluion as a backdrop".

The same theme runs to all artwork - everything portrays the Assassin as Pro-America. No other Assassin artwork does this. Altair and Ezio are never shown pursuing a political agenda in this way. It would have been enough to give him a 18th century weapon, a Cherokee style weapon, and call it a day. Hell, if you want to be evocative, why not show a BURNING Colonial Flag to represent the nation being consumed by war?

But the choice they made? That rubs people the wrong way on so many levels, and they really should have known better.

Edit: Actually, to further the point - how do you think people would have reacted if AC1 showed Altair stabbing a Muslim with a Christian Cross hanging over him? Personally, I doubt that game would ever have seen launch due to the controversy it would have caused...

You have some good points - I'm certain, for example, they would never have put Connor killing a colonial soldier on the box art since it would be commercial suicide - but if this game does attract nationalist meatheads, they're going to get a bit of a shock when they play it.

I'm English, and I don't have any feelings about this. I feel no connection to the imperialists of the past. I get a bit annoyed with so many action films and games that only introduce an English character for the sake of making them the arch-villain and getting the audience to hate the person, but this is different. Perhaps they have thought about which nation can take being kicked a little bit without wincing, in which case I'm quite happy to be on our side of the argument rather than the other.

Hitokiri_Wrath
03-02-2012, 07:03 PM
From what I've read, the problem is that it's America. If it really was any other country with the same exact design, nobody would have an issue which I find very unfair. How is the American Revolution any less historically significant than the Renaissance? If I'm not mistaken, the French Revolution was directly fueled by the success of the American one. Ironically so, France's debt for the loss of their colonies was also a cause of the revolution. If you're saying the French Revolution is the best place to have AC3 set, how is the cause for it any less appropriate?

The American Revolution had plenty of iconic events from the Boston Massacre, to the Boston Tea Party. Heck, there could be a Memory Sequence where our Assassin is the one who causes the Boston Massacre to induce the Revolution.

Also, there will be plenty of free-running opportunities in the colonial cities. By the time of the Revolution, the cities were already very well developed. At worst, the map would most resemble Brotherhood's Rome with the outskirts being open and with few buildings. They will probably re-introduce horses into this game if that's the case.

If anything, the American Revolution is perfect as a setting because it links the Renaissance to the modern day story. George Washington had a P.O.E. after all, there's no telling if he's a Templar though because it was never explicitly stated in the AC series at all. While he was a Freemason, he was never that active in it despite being offered the position of Grand Master (he declined the position because he was never named Master of a Lodge which is the customary rank below Grand Master). Also, the Freemasons of Early America were fairly different from the European branch. Also, Washington found the Revolution more important than the Masons which attributed to his inactivity in the Order. If anything, the Templars might have been trying to get Washington on their side in a more subtle way before the new Assassin and the other Founding Fathers got to him first.

I really don't see anything wrong with the American Revolution aside from blatant bias against America itself. It has all of the pieces that previous Assassin's Creed games had. The flag on the cover is also necessary to make the point known that it IS the Revolution. Even with the flag there, people are mistaking it for the Civil War. -_-;

You all seem to be forgetting how the image is presented as well. Here (http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/ubisoft/assassinscreed3/cov_228_v1_front.jpg) and here (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/421353_10150594294428068_6119163067_9102680_186421 5996_n.jpg). The flag and both sides are blurred and in the background, most likely hinting at the unclear nature of who our Assassin will be fighting against. He may decide to fight for the Revolutionaries but then Washington might reveal himself to be a Templar or something of that nature.

brick177
03-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Aren't we jumping to conclusions here? We're not even completely sure which side the Assassins are fighting for and even if we did, we don't know their motivations for doing so.

This.

LordWolv
03-02-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm going on what I've got, time will tell.

jmk1999
03-02-2012, 07:13 PM
actually, if you want to be technical, there IS a british flag in the picture... it's just cut off a bit. the point of the cover is to portray the era, the place, and theme. british soldiers are british soldiers no matter how you look at it... but add the american flag and you got the US revolution. perhaps it may have been a bit patriotic for them to put the flag so big by comparison, but i feel the point was to express the emotion of the setting. britain WAS the bad guys during the US revolution, whether you like to admit it or not. the injustice shown to the colonists was not going to be tolerated. but that's a whole different issue all together. one could say that there were templars in the US ranks, just as much as there were templars in the british ranks. i'm sure we'll see a bit of that... but it's more than likely that we'll be helping the US more so since it's going to be anti-oppression vibe... NOT an anti-british vibe. templars = oppression... assassin's = freedom... then by understanding this, the roles make perfect sense in terms of the US revolution. it is VERY likely that given the new main character is part native american and part european, he is going to be in support of the US... or at the very least, in support of freedom. i don't know why this is such a huge issue.

@ isaac:
i don't have an exact answer for you... i'm not ubi staff. my only assumption is desmond is an american assassin. his father is the grandmaster (or at least the head of the american order). desmond's ancestors came to america to protect a secret, probably to keep it as far away from the global templar leaders at the time (which would have been in europe). if you think about it, people who were being oppressed or sought freedom or escapism from their normal life immigrated to "new world." it seems very likely that if someone was looking to protect something from a group of people who have an entire continent(s) under their control, a fresh start in a relatively uninhabited place far away would seem ideal. this would also solidify the idea that the assassin is native american, implying that desmond's ancestors came early in the colonial era, thus settling down with the native people... perhaps even seeking refuge and protection for themselves and whatever object or secret they held. all-in-all, given everything we've been leading up to, america seems to fit the bill better than any other location... regardless of how you feel about how cool the french revolution or whatever would be. keep in mind, AC is a franchise that they can do anything they want with... the next series may in fact have these other locations and time periods. they just have to fit in with the story.

TonberryFeye
03-02-2012, 07:15 PM
The flag on the cover is also necessary to make the point known that it IS the Revolution.
Why? I don't recall seeing Crusader imagery around Altair, or Renaissance artwork orbiting Ezio. We don't NEED to be told by the box art where the story is set.

jmk1999
03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Why? I don't recall seeing Crusader imagery around Altair, or Renaissance artwork orbiting Ezio. We don't NEED to be told by the box art where the story is set.

dude... give it a rest... you hate america... big deal. let it go and get on with your life. you're asking questions we don't have an answer for. if you're so concerned, write an email to ubi's development staff or something. beating a dead horse doesn't help your argument.

brick177
03-02-2012, 07:21 PM

And the box art could easily change in 8 months. The release of it, after all, was just to tell us the location and get us hyped for Monday.

SolidSage
03-02-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm dual, US+UK, and I'm down like Charley Brown for this Creed. Everything about the box art evokes excitement for me. Great idea for the Assassin's heritage, awesome Indian tools, nice blue coat under the robes, YEAH! Remember it wasn't about American against English, lots of the Revolutionaries were not far removed from their English heritage, it was about freedom from taxation by the Political thieves.

I still drink my PG tips but it only takes 3 days of a visit before I want to get out of England and back to the States.

We need to see this anyway, the Revolution is widely taught in US schools and in English schooling (during my era anyway) it was barely touched.

For all you yobs getting pissed off at my yank loyalty, here's a bit of verbal defense for you when the subject comes up (which it undoubtedly will during MP sessions), ask em what language
they're speaking.

TonberryFeye
03-02-2012, 07:29 PM
i don't know why this is such a huge issue.
Team America Syndrome is the issue: When Aliens invade, it's always America. If they want to talk peace, they only talk with the President of the USA. When the cure to the Zombie Virus is found, it's found by American scientists. When the vulnerability in Dr SuperNaughty's Doomsday Machine is found, it's found by Americans. I won't even start on 'revisionist history'...

Frankly, it's annoying as hell. The rest of the world is sick and tired of seeing the day saved by THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, with every other nationality, political ideology, non-Christian faith and, in short, everything non-American being written off as being at best too insignificant to mention, and at worst the Bad Guy.

That is the issue here. The world is bombarded with Pro-American imagery, and now the first time we see an Assassin posing infront of anything that could be considered evocative of a specific race, culture, religion or ideology, it just so happens to be the proto-flag of *gasp* the USA! What does that say to us? It says that UbiSoft have sold out and decided to join the ranks of "Americans can do no wrong". It's almost as bad taste as making a World War II game and portraying all Germans as universally evil people, and completely ignoring what happened to people who refused to serve their country...

So yeah, the problem is certainly not the setting. Personally, I have no problem with the Assassin fighting British troops either. The problem is the suggestion that he's doing so because "America is right", not because it's what the Assassin Order believes should be done.

Edit: For the record, if we run the obvious hypotheticals - yes, if it was set in Revolutionary France and the Assassin was overtly alligned (rightly or wrongly) to one faction or the other I would be disappointed. If the imagery suggested the Assassin was just out to crush the American Revolution because 'rebelling against the Crown is illegal' I would also be disappointed.

LightRey
03-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Team America Syndrome is the issue: When Aliens invade, it's always America. If they want to talk peace, they only talk with the President of the USA. When the cure to the Zombie Virus is found, it's found by American scientists. When the vulnerability in Dr SuperNaughty's Doomsday Machine is found, it's found by Americans. I won't even start on 'revisionist history'...

Frankly, it's annoying as hell. The rest of the world is sick and tired of seeing the day saved by THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, with every other nationality, political ideology, non-Christian faith and, in short, everything non-American being written off as being at best too insignificant to mention, and at worst the Bad Guy.

That is the issue here. The world is bombarded with Pro-American imagery, and now the first time we see an Assassin posing infront of anything that could be considered evocative of a specific race, culture, religion or ideology, it just so happens to be the proto-flag of *gasp* the USA! What does that say to us? It says that UbiSoft have sold out and decided to join the ranks of "Americans can do no wrong". It's almost as bad taste as making a World War II game and portraying all Germans as universally evil people, and completely ignoring what happened to people who refused to serve their country...

So yeah, the problem is certainly not the setting. Personally, I have no problem with the Assassin fighting British troops either. The problem is the suggestion that he's doing so because "America is right", not because it's what the Assassin Order believes should be done.

The game is being developed by people from all over the world. Ubisoft isn't a US based company and Most of the studios working on the games are not located in the US either. There is absolutely no reason to assume that this game is going to be Americanistic.

jmk1999
03-02-2012, 07:36 PM
you CLEARLY have some serious issues... that coupled with you're not understanding the meaning behind it because you're too blinded by your own beliefs. i'd have a more drawn out response, but really, i gotta go to work. maybe someone else can set the record straight in a civil manner.

SleezeRocker
03-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Team America Syndrome is the issue: the day saved by THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg441/scaled.php?server=441&filename=tumblrlqrjfkivmr1qaylud.jpg&res=medium

pirate1802
03-02-2012, 07:39 PM

Edit: For the record, if we run the obvious hypotheticals - yes, if it was set in Revolutionary France and the Assassin was overtly alligned (rightly or wrongly) to one faction or the other I would be disappointed. If the imagery suggested the Assassin was just out to crush the American Revolution because 'rebelling against the Crown is illegal' I would also be disappointed.

I think the disclaimer before each AC game was there for precisely this kind of situation. XD

SolidSage
03-02-2012, 07:47 PM

Well, unfortunately, America's vast wealth has forced it to be cadt into a role as a Global Police Force. Like it or not, US troops make up a massive
percentage of UN forces, along with massive financial and food aid it provides to many countries. i served in the US Navy for a long time, no other nation has as prevalent a military as ours, Embassy's everywhere, policing the trade routes and maintaing a large forward deployed force to avert global disasters.
Many see the US as the enemy, its always Old Glory and her boys running into this country or that, and I understand how negativity can be born from both disgruntlement at foreigners getting involved in the affairs of others and a bit of envy at the winninig team...it's natural.
We need to understand that it usn't the US's doing or intent as much as it us the NEED. Britain took their turn at it for a long time, and as much as their 'interference' was detested, they actually improved many of the nations they were involved with. Hong Kong was mostly opposed to being returned to national rule, just recently. Tge US us at the helm now, surely China or other burgeoning countries will take their turn at it. I know many of us in the US want to be free of our foreign policies, keeping our money and troops here would serve us much better. But turning a blind eye to the transgressions against human rights the World over is NOT the way to stem the tide of Evil that threatens to wash away the dreams of every free man and woman on the
planet. Countries aren't villains, some people IN countries are villains and someone has to fight, shouldn't it be the best equipped? I tell you, the freedom I experience in America is grander than what even England offered (when I lived there for 18 years).
The hatred for the US is misplaced and uninformed, North Korea just agreed to postpone its proliferation of Nuclear Weapons in return for 250,000 tons if food aid from where...? You guessed it, the US.
Conspiracy theorists will claim tbe US is manipulating events tor its own good. We DO have corrupt politicians, there are failures and errors, but that is a
HUMAN flaw.
I think its funny, the America I know is comprised of who left their iwn Nations looking for a better life. When those ither nations show such bias and distaste for the US it's like they are hating their own people for wanting to leave.
How bad can America really be, we'll even teach you the skills and sell you the weapons to wage your war against us??? Think about real villains please, before you judge the US as one.

Tonberryfeye: YOU are sick of seeing America save the World in media but art imitates life. No matter how valiantly the British fought against Hitler, things were becoming dire, until America assisted, with supplies and troops. And this trend has continued to this day. Do you have any clue how many countries receive US financial aid? It is a staggering amount. The US is cast as hero in so much media because that's exactly what it has been over the last couple of centuries. Constantly refusing to accept the status and furthering human and civil rights, eco responsibility and trying to further global relations. YES, many other countries are involved, and are doing their part, but America is ALL of those. countries represented as one.
The US mantra of "send us you tired and hungry, etc" still stands today. It IS the land of the free and the home of the brave, and we'll gladly shoulder this burden of hatred from those we help, because the World IS better for our involvement.

I mean honestly, 4 games representing locations and cultures as they do it, then one game presented how America DOES it and look at the negativity. Seriously, are you not ashamed of your blatant bias? Why should America and it's history have to be presented in a censored way so as not to offend the bigotted? No one complained when Altair was slaying Templars in AC1, who were obvious Crusaders/Christians, it's fine that Ezio had his accent and villas. No problem with the war waged against the Catholic church but woah, thats the American flag on the cover, how dare they, what an afront to the civilized fans of Creed!! How dare they show America as the good guy.
What blatant bias and bigotry.

TonberryFeye
03-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Sage, the problem is not with what America does in reality; it is how America is portrayed in fiction.

Oh, and WW2? Modern sources suggest that the rate of equipment loss during the Battle of Britain was such that, had the campaign continued, the German air force would have been all but lost. The British combination of Radar, planes made out of wood and canvas and (perhaps more importantly) the ability to recover pilots who bailed out meant that they had some major force multipliers.
On the other side of things, do try to remember there were several countries on the Eastern front who were doing an impressive job of crushing the Nazi war machine, not to mention the various contributions by armed forces all over the world (I confess I remain largely ignorant of the involvement of countries like China). World War two was just that - a WORLD war, not "America versus Germany".

I think the disclaimer before each AC game was there for precisely this kind of situation. XD
I always assumed that disclaimer existed so that anyone who found their content racist couldn't sue them...

Mutley_Rulz
03-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Another reason Ubi should have avoided America, we'll have a good 8 months of America vs The World arguments on the forums now.

SolidSage
03-02-2012, 08:16 PM
^ yes, i didn't say America won the war, but without their agreement to get involved i doubt your modern researchers would be ALLOWED to do research that didn't conform to the Furher's personal objectives. Also, Japan was an issue if you recall.

Anyway, America is like Europe if it united under one flag. That much population geared towards the same goal creates a large pool of unified assets. Old Glory is getting it's moment on the Podium, in another century or so it will be some place else's turn.

Don't hate, appreciate.

And, actually, the reason Germany couldn't keep up with Allied production rates is because WE employed our women in the war effort. Doubling our work force. So, if you like, Women won World War 2. Look it up.

TonberryFeye
03-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Another reason Ubi should have avoided America, we'll have a good 8 months of America vs The World arguments on the forums now.
Or, as I suggested, not favoured one side over another. If they didn't show the flag, or showed both flags, and had screenshots that show the Assassin interacting with both Redcoats and Colonials equally (ie: killing both, or working with both) then there's no issue either.

I mean honestly, 4 games representing locations and cultures as they do it, then one game presented how America DOES it and look at the negativity. Seriously, are you not ashamed of your blatant bias? Why should America and it's history have to be presented in a censored way so as not to offend the bigotted? No one complained when Altair was slaying Templars in AC1, who were obvious Crusaders/Christians, it's fine that Ezio had his accent and villas. No problem with the war waged against the Catholic church but woah, thats the American flag on the cover, how dare they, what an afront to the civilized fans of Creed!! How dare they show America as the good guy.
What blatant bias and bigotry.
I covered this already.

Altair kills people of BOTH sides - Muslim and Christian. AC1 also does a much better job at portraying Assassin and Templar as two sides of the same coin - their motives are often very similar, so it almost comes down to "it's nothing personal, but you're in the way." Plus, not ALL the Crusaders were portrayed as bad; most were only after you because you were heavily armed and acting suspiciously in an area where people were not meant to be heavily armed and acting suspiciously!

AC2? What does that matter? If there was any 'political' skirmishing, it was Italian vs Italian. The French made a passing appearance in Brotherhood, but they certainly didn't seem to be playing up any racial stereotypes. Again, there's no issue - it's Italian Assassins vs Italian Templars, with emphasis that it's the TEMPLARS, not Italians from individual city states, that are evil.

Revelations? I seem to recall the Ottoman Sultan being scum. I'm also pretty sure the Byzantines were described as being Templar followers as well, rather than being evil because "they're Byzantine". Were the Assassins loyal to the Ottomans? No. They opposed the Byzantines purely because of their Templar links, and when Ottoman characters emerged who seemed to be supporting the Templars, they became fair game as well.

In short, no game thus far has alligned the Assassins to a specific culture or religion. The artwork for AC3 does.

SolidSage
03-02-2012, 08:21 PM
They blatantly favored one side in AC1, the Red Cross was getting assassinated left and right. The only bias is your decision to choose what you see.

pirate1802
03-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Or, as I suggested, not favoured one side over another. If they didn't show the flag, or showed both flags, and had screenshots that show the Assassin interacting with both Redcoats and Colonials equally (ie: killing both, or working with both) then there's no issue either.

I covered this already.

Altair kills people of BOTH sides - Muslim and Christian. AC1 also does a much better job at portraying Assassin and Templar as two sides of the same coin - their motives are often very similar, so it almost comes down to "it's nothing personal, but you're in the way." Plus, not ALL the Crusaders were portrayed as bad; most were only after you because you were heavily armed and acting suspiciously in an area where people were not meant to be heavily armed and acting suspiciously!

AC2? What does that matter? If there was any 'political' skirmishing, it was Italian vs Italian. The French made a passing appearance in Brotherhood, but they certainly didn't seem to be playing up any racial stereotypes. Again, there's no issue - it's Italian Assassins vs Italian Templars, with emphasis that it's the TEMPLARS, not Italians from individual city states, that are evil.

Revelations? I seem to recall the Ottoman Sultan being scum. I'm also pretty sure the Byzantines were described as being Templar followers as well, rather than being evil because "they're Byzantine". Were the Assassins loyal to the Ottomans? No. They opposed the Byzantines purely because of their Templar links, and when Ottoman characters emerged who seemed to be supporting the Templars, they became fair game as well.

In short, no game thus far has alligned the Assassins to a specific culture or religion. The artwork for AC3 does.

They showed the colonists burning the protagonist's village.

D.I.D.
03-02-2012, 08:30 PM
They showed the colonists burning the protagonist's village.

His/her beef is with the box cover. I think.

luckyto
03-02-2012, 08:36 PM
On aligning with a particular culture: umm, Italian.

@SolidSage: I've always respected your posts, and as an American to a former service member, I salute you... I totally respect the job that you guys do on behalf of many people without question. But as one American to another, we are not the same country we once were. We are pretty much run by bankers these days; men who would just as soon and have bankrupted many other countries currencies just to go in and "save" (buy) the country for our own uses. America has pretty much become the strong arm for global network of elites -- in my personal opinion. And a LOT of the anti-American sentiment has been earned over our actions in the last fifty years.

@TornberryFaye. - I think you are being wildly oblivious to facts in regards to America's role in WWII. Britain may have survived, but if millions and millions of Americans hadn't stormed and died on the beaches of Sicily and Normandy; then most of Europe would still be doing the goosestep ... regardless of the Soviets. If it hadn't been for the second and third fronts which American troops opened up, the Soviet's success would have been stopped at Poland.

But besides all of this, that is MODERN world history. And frankly, America at the time of the Revolution is a very different world, with very different ideals; ones that even most Americans don't understand. And it is these ideals of freedom, individualism and right to determine one's own destiny which should be glorified. They are the core of the Creed.

TonberryFeye
03-02-2012, 08:37 PM
They blatantly favored one side in AC1, the Red Cross was getting assassinated left and right. The only bias is your decision to choose what you see.
Arguably, killing of Knights Hospitaller is not the most politically-neutral concept, given what they are known for. However, given how modern media demonises the Muslim faith, as well as any culture considered 'Muslim' by said media (ie: pretty much the entire Middle East) swinging bias the other way is acceptable - portraying an 'evil' people like Muslims in a much more humane and civilised manner in order to hammer home the point that "actually, believing in Allah does NOT turn you into a suicide bomber" is perfectly acceptable.

Besides, as I said, we saw our share of evil Muslims. We stabbed them to death like everyone else.

On a final note, the bias against Christianity in AC1 could be attributed to a general disapproval of the notion of killing in the name of religion. Keep in mind, these Crusaders killed, burned, looted and raped their way across the map in the name of God. That same God gave them ten Commandments, including "Thou Shalt Not Steal" and "Thou Shalt Not Kill". I'm pretty sure one or two can also be extrapolated to cover "don't rape women" and "don't burn people's houses down". Christianity RE-WROTE ITS OWN RELIGIOUS DOCTRINE so that people who went on Crusades were not automatically banished to Hell, which speaks volumes about the kind of people in charge of the Christain faith at the time.

However, I reiterate; it was not about Altair the Muslim killing Evil Christains. It was Altair the Assassin (who I always got the impression was agnostic, if not atheist) fighting for the freedom of ALL men, Christians included.

That's the key point with the American Revolution, and the issues it brings up. Remember the Creed: Nothing is true, everything is permitted. This does not mean the Assassins are mass anarchists sworn to bring down the rule of law. This means that men must be free to make their own choices and live with them! An Assassin in the American Revolution should not be allied with either side - both cultures must be free to pursue their own goals in the way they choose to do so. The entire reason the Assassins fight the Templars is that Templars seek to take away that freedom of choice; they want a world unified under their rule, and manipulate other world powers in order to achieve this.

UrDeviant1
03-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Man I hate It when the subject of WW2 comes up. It was In Americas best Interests to help fight the Germans, not to "Come save the day" as sage politely put It, but to save their own backsides. The amount of negotiating Winston Churchill had to make with the Americans before they played their part was outstanding, for a while they were quite content to do nothing. So don't paint a perfect picture of your American forces because you're just their to do a job, just like any other countries Armed Forced. The politics behind your reasoning of going to war are not all they seem either, holding other countries back, only pushing money Into certain areas of their economy to boost your own. Lots of countries are guilty of this, non more so than Team America.

SolidSage
03-02-2012, 08:52 PM
@Lucky
You are of course not wrong about America becoming a haven to uber high financed criminals. Capitolism out of control is a modern US problem. But I don't think the actions of a few greedy college educated scum bags is a fair representation of the American people. Old Glory still represents the desire for freedom for the average man or woman, to me. And while that same freedom allows a certain type of villain to thrive, (along with foreign and domestic terrorists), it is still a freedom that eludes much of the World's population.
America, as a general standard, continues to strive to progress the rights and standard of living for humanity the world over.
Dealing with emerging, and evolved threats to our democracy and internal well being is a newer battle that must be won, or the US will fall into a state of disrepair that we cannot return from.

The global economic crisis has much to do with America's toxic assets, but that's because we are one of the front cars of the train, the engine itself is the problem. In spite of the fall, how we can still sned millions of dollars to Egypt and the aforementioned food aid to North Korea honestly escapes me. There are more than enough destitute in our own streets, yet who sends pumps/generators to Japan to assist in avoiding a Nuclear plant meltdown, who provided the primary aid to Haiti?
There is much that is wrong here, I wouldn't live anywhere else though. Current policy baffles me, war I feel is sometimes the necessary decision, expanding war makes less sense but I am not privvy to high clearance info. Bailing out toxic assets is another thing I don't comprehend, but Economy is a strange strange animal.

@Tonfeye
I think Ezio as a character established that regardless of the teachings of the Creed, a man follows his own path, and in some ways the Creed itself is a stealer of destiny.

@Dude who said I said America Saved the Day in WWII
I don't think you read my post much. I actually said, in summary, that Allied Females saved the day. But I think it true that had the US not gotten involved, regardless of it's motives, the war would have been lost. To argue that is a bit silly. And yes, America's involvement doesn't make it a hero, plenty of MY English countrymen toiled for four years in the trenches before US involvement. My English Grandfather fought in WW2, and survived, my American father fought in Vietnam, the nations personal interest in events has little to do with the efforts made by the common man, and their motivations for putting their lives on the line...and doing the job well enough to allow cultures and natiins to retain their OWN identity. I never understood when I lived in England why a lot of the English were so begrudging when it came to the 'help' that was provided by the US.No one talks smack about the other countries involved but mention America and its like "they really didn't do nothing at all, eveything was going fine without them". I just don't get it.

Anyway, I hope this Creed isn't too much like RDR, trees are cool but I needs me some rooftop action too.

luckyto
03-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Sage, they are running our country. True. It's not indicative of us folks who live here, but our vote hasn't mattered in ages. They own both horses. That's why "our" policy doesn't make sense to you... it's not OUR policy.

------
Urdeviant, and no --- America was not defending itself in WWII. Neither Germany nor Japan nor together could have successfully launched an invasion on American soil. Their own intelligence documents state at much. We weren't in real danger... nor were we saving our backsides.

That's the key point with the American Revolution, and the issues it brings up. Remember the Creed: Nothing is true, everything is permitted. This does not mean the Assassins are mass anarchists sworn to bring down the rule of law. This means that men must be free to make their own choices and live with them! An Assassin in the American Revolution should not be allied with either side - both cultures must be free to pursue their own goals in the way they choose to do so. The entire reason the Assassins fight the Templars is that Templars seek to take away that freedom of choice; they want a world unified under their rule, and manipulate other world powers in order to achieve this.

With all due respect, the freedom to choose one's government, the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness --- is exactly what the Creed is about. Free will.

D.I.D.
03-02-2012, 08:57 PM
@TornberryFaye. - I think you are being wildly oblivious to facts in regards to America's role in WWII. Britain may have survived, but if millions and millions of Americans hadn't stormed and died on the beaches of Sicily and Normandy; then most of Europe would still be doing the goosestep ... regardless of the Soviets. If it hadn't been for the second and third fronts which American troops opened up, the Soviet's success would have been stopped at Poland.

arrrrr can't ignore this one any longer.

Our prime minister begged your president for help for years, and your president sat on his hands until your country couldn't stay out any longer and it looked like your country was going to suffer the kinds of attacks our country did. Many members of your wealthy elite were urging the US government not to attack Hitler because they liked the man.

The idea that Europe owes the USA thanks, or that US deployment was altruistic, is as false as the idea that the UK government opposed Hitler's racism and had sympathy with the Jewish people. The society of the UK was disgustingly racist against Jewish people, and even the newspapers were brazenly racist against them. I wouldn't expect a Jewish person to thank the UK for its involvement either.

TonberryFeye
03-02-2012, 09:08 PM
With all due respect, the freedom to choose one's government, the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness --- is exactly what the Creed is about. Free will.
Ah, but here we are entering some tricky territory; if you choose freedom, with all that freedom entails - then you are free. If you 'choose' freedom because someone else decides that it is in your best interests, are you truly free?

Doesn't freedom, true freedom, include the freedom to suffer? The freedom to fail? The freedom to starve to death in the gutter? As long as two men are alive on earth, one will seek to influence the other - to infringe upon their freedom. Thus, the Assassins cannot be supporters of true Freedom, because true freedom simply cannot exist in society.

So what do they fight for? As far as I can tell, they fight for the right to choose. People must be allowed to pursue their own end, whatever those ends may be. The fight for liberty is not inherently right, because it is just another example of restricting the freedoms of others. This is why the Assassins should not be taking sides in conflicts - they are not some kind of murderous Santa Claus who drop down the chimneys of Naughty people and kill them in their sleep.

SolidSage
03-02-2012, 09:10 PM
@Doubleclick
The UK only got involved when it looked like Hitlers forces were threatening the northern channel which would compromise Britains abilty to defend itself should it need to. So yes, everyone got involved for their own interests, it doesn't change the fact that getting involved was the right choice, a high cost and something ALL of us alive today should be grateful for.

luckyto
03-02-2012, 09:10 PM
George Bush's grandpa was one of the pro-Hitlers.

Most American's were against going to war. That's why Roosevelt did nothing. But if you ask any of those people - I have --- they will all say that they learned very quickly that they had been wrong and going to war was the right thing. I just think most Americans didn't grasp what Hitler was doing or what he represented. You can't really fault us for not going to war. Perhaps we should have. And to be fair, that War cost us our democracy ... we are now run by the same military-industrial-banking complex that was created to win that war.

But sitting here pretending that America's involvement in the war didn't really matter and we did it to save ourselves is just plain hogwash. To use an American saying, hogwash.

Nuts.

luckyto
03-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Ah, but here we are entering some tricky territory; if you choose freedom, with all that freedom entails - then you are free. If you 'choose' freedom because someone else decides that it is in your best interests, are you truly free?

Doesn't freedom, true freedom, include the freedom to suffer? The freedom to fail? The freedom to starve to death in the gutter? As long as two men are alive on earth, one will seek to influence the other - to infringe upon their freedom. Thus, the Assassins cannot be supporters of true Freedom, because true freedom simply cannot exist in society.

So what do they fight for? As far as I can tell, they fight for the right to choose. People must be allowed to pursue their own end, whatever those ends may be. The fight for liberty is not inherently right, because it is just another example of restricting the freedoms of others. This is why the Assassins should not be taking sides in conflicts - they are not some kind of murderous Santa Claus who drop down the chimneys of Naughty people and kill them in their sleep.

Actually, an Assassin is a murderous Santa Claus who drops down and kills naughty people.

They fight for Freedom to determine one's own destiny. The Preamble and the Declaration of Independence are filled with the exact same philosophical concepts of the Creed. And it should be glorified..... not for what America is now, but for what it tried to be... for the Ideal of Freedom and self-governance and the right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

TonberryFeye
03-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Actually, an Assassin is a murderous Santa Claus who drops down and kills naughty people.

They fight for Freedom to determine one's own destiny. The Preamble and the Declaration of Independence are filled with the exact same philosophical concepts of the Creed. And it should be glorified..... not for what America is now, but for what it tried to be... for the Ideal of Freedom and self-governance and the right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

So why isn't our Assassin friend brutally murdering every American he can find to avenge what was done to the NATIVE Americans? I admit my knowledge of American history is vague, but I'm pretty sure that even pre-revolution the Natives were treated very badly indeed.

SolidSage
03-02-2012, 09:22 PM
@Urdeviant
just to confirm, I never considered myself a hero for serving, you are exactly right, it was a job. and a good way to get an education, a paycheck and see the world for a young man of small means. But, some mpservice men and women ARE heroes, there is true valor and courage shown for only the best of reasons. some of them truly enlist and fight to better the world. I admire them, but I'm not like them, I do a good job and I work hard, but I do it to better my and mine's situation. I got out when I'd had enough (8 years) and did a bit of Government contracting before setting up my own deal.
War economy is a big thing, it's been a part of the world FOREVER. Eliminating conflict is a radical ideal and unachievable. Altering the process and how those negotiations take place is an achievable evolution if the animal.

America's not a saint, nor is any other country, but improving alliances and common goals is better for all of us. Yet here we are, the US flag is shown and there is a spewing of festering hatred.

Revolutionary colonial war was about the exact kind of freedom the Creed claims to uphold.

SolidSage
03-02-2012, 09:27 PM
@Tonberry
I bet you're right, loads of Indians got the short end of it, as have minorities everywhere forever at some point. No culture has clean hands, the world was a vicious beast, and still is in some places.
BUT I don't think jumping around on top if wig wams/tee pees is really conducive to good Creed game play. I think you're being picky becayse you don't like America basically. Fair enough.

luckyto
03-02-2012, 09:37 PM
So why isn't our Assassin friend brutally murdering every American he can find to avenge what was done to the NATIVE Americans? I admit my knowledge of American history is vague, but I'm pretty sure that even pre-revolution the Natives were treated very badly indeed.

I'm not justifying the native americans' or slaves' treatment. But you would just have to understand how Europeans and Whites viewed those peoples in that time of history --- to them, they were almost like animals; and didn't apply the same moral concepts and philosophy of Locke and Descartes and the Founding Fathers to those people. They SHOULD have, but they didn't make that mental connection.

That doesn't lessen those Philosophical concepts.. or Ideals. Those ideas should still be glorified. And it makes you wonder - and some like John Adams and Jefferson did - why others didn't get that rights for one group applies to all; like they claimed. But that's the way it was.

iMBUE_
03-02-2012, 09:39 PM
- Game has been in development for three years. Possibly after the completion of Assassin's Creed II.

- A completely new ancestor of Desmond Miles.

- The name of the game’s new protagonist will be Connor (as he calls himself), although his birth name is Ratohnhake:ton. He is half English, half Native American, and is described as more of a hunter/ predatory Assassin than the likes of Ezio or Altair. He is described as a freedom fighter who acts in the name of justice rather than acting based on personal revenge. The American Revolution setting means that the supporting cast includes the likes of George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Charles Lee. Connor’s interaction with Washington is one of the core relationships in the game.

-Assassin’s Creed III will be set between 1753 and 1783, in and around the cities of Boston and New York. Locations like Bunker Hill, Valley Forge and Saratoga are mentioned. New York especially ties in with Desmond’s location at the conclusion of Revelations. There will be puzzles similar to The Truth, only they will not be given by Subject 16 this time around. In addition, the economic system of the game has been reformed.

- The protagonist will fight on the American side, with primary allies George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Charles Lee. However, this does not mean that the Americans are the good guys and the British are the bad guys. Templars are everywhere…

- There will be seasons in the game, meaning that the sun will shine during summer and the landscape will be covered in snow during winter.

- Fighting and stealth will be completely re-innovated, with Connor being compared to a “predator”. The player will be able to climb trees and other natural elements, and dual-wielding weapons such as a dagger and a mohawk is now also an option.

- Animals will be present in the woods, like deer and bears. The player will be able to kill them and pelt their skins, to sell them later with the reformed economic system of the game.

- There will be puzzles similar to The Truth, only they will not be given by Subject 16.

- Desmond will go into the new Animus 3.0 and will find himself going into “significant events”.

- 100% sync in memories returns, though this time you will be rewarded when you complete memories to 100%.

- Checkpoints will also be introduced to mission replay, meaning you don’t have to replay an entire mission to get that 100% sync.

- The Brotherhood, or Assassins Guild, will return in some form, albeit differently than we have seen before.

- There will be no more Mercenaries, Thieves, Courtesans, Romani or other factions, but there will be a replacement for

them.

- Den Defense will not return.

- Release date slated for October 30th, 2012

- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations are considered spin off games, BUT is canon for the universe. Ubisoft only numbers an Assassin's Creed game when there is a new ancestor AND time period.

-Want it to be a jumping on point for new players without losing touch with what longtime fans cherish most.

-New hero called Connor/Ratohnhake:ton (pronounced Ra-doon-ha-gay-doo). He has an English father and Native American mother.

-More details about the protagonist/scenarios: You will experience Conner's chilhood on the American frontier as he is raised by the Mohawk. The Mohawk eventually clash with white colonists who burn their village down, causing Connor to dedicate his life to confront tyranny and injustice.

-A new traversal approach that has players leaping and climbing trees and mountain cliffs.

-Uses a new version of the Anvil engine that can "depict thousands of troops engaged in bloody battle" along with highly detailed face close-ups. They later imply that if they used version numbers, they would be like going from Anvil 1.0 - Anvil 2.0 or something of that nature.

-Judging by the images, the faces really are quite good.

-Combat is focused on putting you on the offensive and based on speed/momentum.

-The main character has thousands of new and unique animations (no carry over from other titles) to support the new combat system.

-Character details:

-George Washington: Interacting with Washington is one of the core relationships of the game.

-Benjamin Franklin: He's not a convenient inventor a la Da Vinci.

-Charles Lee: His role is a mystery.

-The game is set between the years 1753-1783 and is centered around the cities of Boston and New York.

-"It's not just going to a historical buildign now; it's going to a historical event."

-Event examples: "You will see the great fire of New York. You will visit Vallye Forge as a location that is currently occupied by Washington's forces. You will visit these places in the moment that they were important, a nd hopefully, experience the reason why we know where they are today. That's the goal."

-Connor is in the heart of major battles, and they can now have a couple thousand guys on screen, whereas before it was capped at about 100.

-The overall story is still centered around the Assassins versus the Templars and Connor's journey.

-Not all the Colonists will be cast as good people, and not all the British will be cast as evil oppressors. They're trying to focus on how both the Assassins and Templars viewpoints exist in a gray morality as the Templars really believe they're saving the world.

-The French and Native Americans will also feature in the game, as was probably really obvious.

-The modern day stuff relates to that location in New York at the end of Revelations.

-There will be all sorts of wilderness in the game referred to as the Frontier.

-The map of the Frontier is 1.5 times bigger than the entire map of Brotherhood.

-The Froniter is not empty like in Assassin's Creed 1, but features a third of the game's missions and gameplay content.

-You can hunt animals for resources, and how you kill them effects your reward. A one hit kill on a bear gets you a much more valuable pelt than stabbing it eight times.

-The wilderness traversal plays a big part in the gameplay in the Frontier, allowing you to use trees, cliffs, ledges, and more to set up kills and combat.

-Connor does have a hidden blade.

-The world changes as time passes, so a field where a battle happened in one year may just be a series of empty encampments a few months later.

-The entire world will change with seasons, so the cities and the wilderness will all exist in both Summer and Winter settings.

-In the winter, soldiers will move slowly and stumble about in the snow, and lakes and rivers will freeze over allowing you to go new places. This gives Connor an extra advantage since he can still use the trees and wilderness pretty effectively during this time of year.

-There are all sorts of clubs and groups who want you to join and give you quests. These are separate from the mission system. These clubs will contact you based on what you do in the game. For example, hunting a lot will get you an invitation to the hunting society.

-There will be a goods based economy, a new property system, and more Desmond stuff.

-There's going to be some new puzzle thing like the first person Tetris.

-There's a new Animus database known as Animus 3.0.

-They're not unveiling anything about the multiplayer yet.

-There will be more platforming levels.

-Full synchronization returns, but with major tweaks. Missions have checkpoints, You also get significant rewards for doing these tasks instead of a 100%. "Imagine a leveling system in an RPG, except there's a finite amoutn of XP to find. The more in-sync you get, the more you fill your sync bar. Within each mission, each activity you complete has a valae". You can replay everything to increase your score.

-They imply there is something resembling the Brotherhood system of picking up fellow assassins.

-Aligned groups are gone, but something new is replacing them in regards to factions. They don't say what.

-There's a new noteriety system that is more hidden and doens't penalize you for exploring risky areas.

-The game has fast travel because the game has more traveling.

-Don't expect more tower defense.

-You can upgrade Connor's gear and costume as the game goes on in an attempt to make it feel more authentic.

-The cities have a lot more subtle detail now in terms of ambient things that happen.

-You can now leap over wagons or slide under obstacles, including navigating over and aroudn moving objects. The free running stuff also has you jumping through windows to trees and then on top of church roofs. Basically, expect the free running stuff, but more fluid and presumably generally closer to the ground.

-Connor enters battle with two weapons. The game uses the same controls in and out of battle.

-The tomahawk and knife are a "constant presence" in battle. They also let you do double counters and multiple takedowns, adn you can chain kills.

-There's no more target locking, it just automatically detects your target. Counter/defense are the same ****on to prevent turtling.

-You can use human shields and other context sensitive moves.

-They want you to constantly move in battle.

-There are lots of secondary attacks like the one shot pistol on the Y ****on.

-There's a new dynamic camera to track the action and make it look as cinematic as possible.

-There is a new sprinting system also, so you can hold the ****on to instantly turn around and start fleeing from combat. They also let you kill people while still moving so you can keep chasing a target. They kind of imply you can even leap off of them after you kill them, though I'm not sure if that makes you faster or just doesn't impede your movement.

-They really, really, really want you to constantly move. I mean like they say this every four sentences. Not just in battle, but in every section of the game.

-Game Informer really loves their animation system.

-There are around 2.5 hours of character scenes in the game that are fully acted and recorded. They mean this in Naughty Dog style where they have the actors being mocapped while performing on a set that resembles the scene in the game.

-They're aiming for accuracy by having historical dialog consultants and actual Native American actors.

-This game has the longest dev cycle since AC1, and has twice the production capacity (in terms of work hours) and budget of Revelations.

-They want the game to feel like AC3.5, and the game will have its first version complete in just a few more weeks, at which poitn they're going to spend the rest of their time refining it.

abbitha7
03-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Snip

Is this from the new Game Informer?

g_cracker27
03-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Will someone not from America telll me how the rest of the world viewed George Washington? Or if he is not even mentioned in your history classes?
Because over here, its hard to imagine him as anything but a legend and I'm curious for an unbiased perspective.

For that matter, how exactly does Europe view the motives and deeds of the revolutionary war?
Other than bitter Brits, that is ;)

brick177
03-03-2012, 03:28 AM
The US Capitol Building rotunda has a giant painting of Washington becoming a god and joining the other Greek gods (called "The Apotheosis of Washington"), so, it is fair to assume Americans deify him. lol. It also includes a Phrygian Cap somewhere in it.

Jexx21
03-03-2012, 03:36 AM
The US Capitol Building rotunda has a giant painting of Washington becoming a god and joining the other Greek gods (called "The Apotheosis of Washington"), so, it is fair to assume Americans deify him. lol. It also includes a Phrygian Cap somewhere in it.

I don't think it includes the greek gods...

:P

souNdwAve89
03-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Is this from the new Game Informer?

Yes, it was summarized by a person on NeoGAF.

brick177
03-03-2012, 03:45 AM

Greek / Roman, w/e.

Minerva, Neptune, Vulcan, Ceres, Mercury, Victoria, Libertas are all in it.

jmk1999
03-03-2012, 04:13 AM
i'm a middle class, white, catholic american... by your view, i must be a templar and evil incarnate.:cool:

give it a rest... it's a freaking game. if you want to boycott it, do it. you're not hurting anyone's feelings by doing so.:rolleyes:

ShadowRage41
03-03-2012, 04:31 AM
@Urdeviant
just to confirm, I never considered myself a hero for serving, you are exactly right, it was a job. and a good way to get an education, a paycheck and see the world for a young man of small means. But, some mpservice men and women ARE heroes, there is true valor and courage shown for only the best of reasons. some of them truly enlist and fight to better the world. I admire them, but I'm not like them, I do a good job and I work hard, but I do it to better my and mine's situation. I got out when I'd had enough (8 years) and did a bit of Government contracting before setting up my own deal.
War economy is a big thing, it's been a part of the world FOREVER. Eliminating conflict is a radical ideal and unachievable. Altering the process and how those negotiations take place is an achievable evolution if the animal.

America's not a saint, nor is any other country, but improving alliances and common goals is better for all of us. Yet here we are, the US flag is shown and there is a spewing of festering hatred.

Revolutionary colonial war was about the exact kind of freedom the Creed claims to uphold.

Very good post XD and agreed! I served two tours of duty in the 101st Airborne Division, and I witnesses what I would consider to be true acts of valor and unimaginable courage. As for the ethnocentric posts and the anti American rhetoric and stereotypes? I take it with a grain of salt, because stereotypes in general are born of ignorance.

jmk1999
03-03-2012, 04:41 AM
As for the ethnocentric posts and the anti American rhetoric and stereotypes? I take it with a grain of salt, because stereotypes in general are born of ignorance.
this is true... but unfortunately, as a moderator i can't let it continue... i have to keep the peace and expect everyone else to be respectful other cultures, just as has always been the case with previous games. not a single moment has anyone questioned whether altair was a terrorist (which one could almost say he was in respect to what he did)... same with ezio... not once has anyone said he was a sacrilegious devil, pointless killing people in the clergy. every game has a motive, a reason... regardless of the location, race, etc. of those involved. please be respectful to americans this time around, just as they were respectful toward other cultures in the previous games. that's enough. should such arguments proceed further without civility, i will be closing the topic (and any others like it) and start handing out bans.

LordWolv
03-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Will someone not from America telll me how the rest of the world viewed George Washington? Or if he is not even mentioned in your history classes?
Because over here, its hard to imagine him as anything but a legend and I'm curious for an unbiased perspective.

For that matter, how exactly does Europe view the motives and deeds of the revolutionary war?
Other than bitter Brits, that is ;)
If you're joking, very funny. If you're being serious, go die in a hole. xD

Anyway, I'm yet to learn about George Washington.. or the revolution tbh. I don't know a great deal, but I know the basics.

jmk1999
03-03-2012, 07:11 AM
to be honest, the revolutionary war is probably one of the most important political and strategic wars in the last 300 years. it's definitely worth researching. it revolutionized (no pun intended) the way wars are waged by taking us out of the archaic marching in waves and face-to-face form of battle and into the modern guerrilla warfare. it's how normal everyday men managed to gain an upper hand against well trained soldiers. it also marked the creation of the constitution which was ground breaking since it's not only lasted for over 200 years, but it's also been adapted into several other democratic countries... particularly when japan was reformed after WWII. it's certainly a part in history that not only affected america, but the way the modern world works in general. definitely worth researching a little bit about it before the game comes out.

LordWolv
03-03-2012, 07:38 AM
to be honest, the revolutionary war is probably one of the most important political and strategic wars in the last 300 years. it's definitely worth researching. it revolutionized (no pun intended) the way wars are waged by taking us out of the archaic marching in waves and face-to-face form of battle and into the modern guerrilla warfare. it's how normal everyday men managed to gain an upper hand against well trained soldiers. it also marked the creation of the constitution which was ground breaking since it's not only lasted for over 200 years, but it's also been adapted into several other democratic countries... particularly when japan was reformed after WWII. it's certainly a part in history that not only affected america, but the way the modern world works in general. definitely worth researching a little bit about it before the game comes out.
I'll be sure to. :)

BeCk41
03-03-2012, 07:39 AM
This is my opinion of why I don't want ACIII to go to America both historically and in the present. I am aware this is an opinion shared by very few, but I am keeping to it. Yes, I know, if it's already going to America there's nothing I can do; this is simply my thoughts on the matter.
America is overused. I am not a nationalist of any kind, but countless games are held in America, and the USA is glorified in all of them. ACIII will not be different if it does move to America. Assassin's Creed is notorious of recreating beautiful cities and populations throughout history and they have so far taken countries people don't know much about. You can see that just by having the flag behind the character in what is apparently the box cover is glorifying the country. This can't happen, because that's not what AC does.
I know it's only two reasons, but I believe they are massive, please share your opinion on this and any more points you have I will add to the original post. No flaming please, even though I'm sure they'll be some American Patriots wanting to squash me...

Hmmm I'm very much with you on your opinion about the games choice of location. And yes there are much better places to explore than America. I really had my fingers crossed for Russia (vaguely depicted in games) and Great Britain (England). I really wasn't rooting for America because during the Revolution it was the split between England and America, and not very fun times for either sides. And I know a lot of people who play this game from England and I'm not sure how they'll react to seeing Englishmen depicted as the "bad guys" that's why I didn't favor this idea. Ubisoft developers said that they liked to take your character to a place thats rarely depicted in games, as what we saw with Italy and the middle east. I guess I'm just sad to have hopes that the game would depict the "GOLDEN AGE" the most amazing period in history detailing the times of Queen Elizabeth the first, and her grand ruling.

*some missed opportunities*

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ONnmmM7KyZE/SPlJkQq5jPI/AAAAAAAAHsU/HIu8QRm2JC0/s400/Russia+-+St.+Petersburg+-+Canal+w.Ch.of+the+Savior+Hz.jpg
• Russia
http://www.worldexecutive.com/cityguides/pics/london/wex_slideshow_london_01.jpg
• Great Britain (England)
http://media.onsugar.com/files/2010/02/06/5/393/3930312/b7/2759477964_c924d5bb51.jpgBrazil

• Japan
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/Paris_Night.jpg/800px-Paris_Night.jpg
• France

Radman500
03-03-2012, 07:45 AM
i wonder how english players are gonna react seeing them be treated as the "bad guys/villians" in ac3

LordWolv
03-03-2012, 07:50 AM
i wonder how english players are gonna react seeing them be treated as the "bad guys/villians" in ac3
Looking forward to it. :P

nuncfluens
03-03-2012, 08:29 AM
I've got to admit that I have my reservations about AC3 being in America, but I don't think that Ubisoft would plunge into such a decidedly humbler setting without having a bold new plan in mind. It's too early to say, but I have a hunch that what the game lacks in gigantic, ostentatious architecture, it will make up for in atmosphere. Yes, I have my reservations, but, frankly, as long as AC3 doesn't try to beat Red Dead Redemption at its own game (I'm not saying they'd be similar core experiences, but there are surely some areas where overlap is possible), and has the presence of mind to remain morally/politically ambiguous, I think this game could be just the high note the AC series needs to secure its throne among the greatest franchises ever.

If the game has really been in development (and I mean real, honest-to-God development--not just conceptually) for three years, then we have every right to expect something carefully planned and masterfully executed. Only time will tell, but **** it, when Assassin's Creed: Revelations is the "worst" game in your series, I think our faith is well-invested.

jmk1999
03-03-2012, 08:30 AM
probably the same way christians and catholics have played the entire series. it's just a game and a work of fiction.:rolleyes:

Biomedical-Fire
03-03-2012, 08:32 AM
I found this little tidbit while perusing another forum. Don't know how true it is, but if true, it made a pretty good read.

The new Assassin is the son of a Native American woman and a British soldier. He calls himself Connor, but his birth name is Ratohnhakť:ton. Born into the Mohawk, he eventually crosses paths with the Assassins in his search for righteousness.

Animals will be present in the woods, like deer and bears. The player will be able to kill them and pelt their skins, to sell them later with the reformed economic system of the game.

There will be puzzles similar to The Truth, only they will not be given by Subject 16.

Desmond will go into the new Animus 3.0 and will find himself going into "significant events".

100% sync in memories returns, though this time you will be rewarded when you complete memories to 100%. Checkpoints will also be introduced to mission replay, meaning you donít have to replay an entire mission to get that 100% sync.

The Brotherhood, or Assassins Guild, will return in some form, albeit differently than we have seen before.

There will be no more Mercenaries, Thieves, Courtesans, Romani or other factions, but there will be a replacement for them.

Den Defense will not return.

-

Connor is quiet and stoic, letting actions speak for words rather than conversing with others. In contrast to Ezio, Connor is a freedom fighter who acts in the name of justice rather than on personal revenge.

The game is set between 1753 and 1783, meaning we will be playing a good chunk of Connor's life, about the timeframe of Assassin's Creed II and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood combined.

Settings will include Boston, New York and a large countryside. The countryside will be the setting of about 1/3 of the game, and will be the location of many events during the game. The countryside will be about 1.5 times as big as Rome in Brotherhood

The protagonist will fight on the American side, with primary allies George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Charles Lee. However, this does not mean that the Americans are the good guys and the British are the bad guys. Templars are everywhere

There will be seasons in the game, meaning that the sun will shine during summer and the landscape will be covered in snow during winter.

Fighting and stealth will be completely re-innovated, with Connor being compared to a "predator". The player will be able to climb trees and other natural elements, and dual-wielding weapons such as a dagger and a mohawk is now also an option.
-
Courtesy of 4chan/Reddit.

SlimeDynamiteD
03-03-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm sorry to break your spirits but I feel like I have to say this:

The series HAD to go to the USA at some point.
Desmond is an American, his parents were both American so he HAD to have American ancestors as well.
Thus at some point the game had to take place in the USA, why are you guys so disappointed when you could've seen this coming ever since AC1 came out?

LordWolv
03-03-2012, 08:34 AM

Desmond is an American, his parents were both American so he HAD to have American ancestors as well.
Thus at some point the game had to take place in the USA, why are you guys so disappointed when you could've seen this coming ever since AC1 came out?
For the reasons I listed. Maybe, yes, it HAD to happen.. doesn't stop me having a rant. :P

jmk1999
03-03-2012, 08:39 AM

it's probably more than just that... i already mentioned this, but here's a quote for emphasis since it sorta got lost with all the arguing.

i don't have an exact answer for you... i'm not ubi staff. my only assumption is desmond is an american assassin. his father is the grandmaster (or at least the head of the american order). desmond's ancestors came to america to protect a secret, probably to keep it as far away from the global templar leaders at the time (which would have been in europe). if you think about it, people who were being oppressed or sought freedom or escapism from their normal life immigrated to "new world." it seems very likely that if someone was looking to protect something from a group of people who have an entire continent(s) under their control, a fresh start in a relatively uninhabited place far away would seem ideal. this would also solidify the idea that the assassin is native american, implying that desmond's ancestors came early in the colonial era, thus settling down with the native people... perhaps even seeking refuge and protection for themselves and whatever object or secret they held. all-in-all, given everything we've been leading up to, america seems to fit the bill better than any other location... regardless of how you feel about how cool the french revolution or whatever would be. keep in mind, AC is a franchise that they can do anything they want with... the next series may in fact have these other locations and time periods. they just have to fit in with the story.

albertwesker22
03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Looking forward to it. :P

Like we haven't been cast as villains a million times before ;)

Braveheart anyone?

freddie_1897
03-03-2012, 11:42 AM
probably not so badly considering that game informer mentioned that there are Templars on both side and neither side is either really good or really bad

freddie_1897
03-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Like we haven't been cast as villains a million times before ;)

Braveheart anyone?
and the italian job, but in that film we were awesome criminals

ChaosxNetwork
03-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I have to agree with your points but I am still on the side of happy/content.
Yes France would have been better but the culture is not massively different to Italy and also everyone knows about the revolution which is why they want it.
Where as with America, even the Americans hardly know anything on there start place in History. Heck some people keep saying "Germany" when clearly Germany was not a country until pre-WWI when the several small states joined together for the first time.
So there are negatives and positives for both sides. Ubisoft has made their decision and no matter what it willstill be great.
Plus the Assassin looks more B.A than I would think a French one would (Not anything against French people just the difference in locals and culture)

coolodile
03-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Heck some people keep saying "Germany" when clearly Germany was not a country until pre-WWI when the several small states joined together for the first time.

Its not really incorrect to refer to the region as Germany before unification though. I mean, Italy wasn't unified until the 1860s, but people refer to AC2 as taking place in Renaissance Italy.

ChaosxNetwork
03-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Its not really incorrect to refer to the region as Germany before unification though. I mean, Italy wasn't unified until the 1860s, but people refer to AC2 as taking place in Renaissance Italy.
Though italy had once been unified under the Romans and so never lost the name, also it was not "At War" with itself in the same way Prussia was with the surrounding areas.

Captain Tomatoz
03-03-2012, 02:58 PM

Actually the Roman gods are the same as the Greek gods just with different names :D

Also Minerva says in ACII that they went by many names during history. It's just Minerva was her most recent used name. :)

LightRey
03-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Actually the Roman gods are the same as the Greek gods just with different names :D

Also Minerva says in ACII that they went by many names during history. It's just Minerva was her most recent used name. :)

Well, sortof. It's true that the Roman gods are basically the same as the Greek gods, but the Roman are basically Etruscan gods who were adapted to fit Greek mythology (the Romans loved much of the Greek culture and changed their own accordingly). The names Minerva mentions in ACII (Minerva used to be Merva, Juno used to be Uni and Jupiter used to be Tinia) are all names of the Etruscan gods that took on those new roles in Roman mythology.

I think it's safe to say that their Greek variants (Pallas Athena, Hera and Zeus respectively) were likely also actually referring to the same individuals, but from a different cultural history that with the rise of the Roman empire merged with them again.

SaintPerkele
03-03-2012, 07:31 PM
The Roman names were used on several occasions in Project Legacy. So yes, they are the same canonwise.

luckyto
03-03-2012, 07:39 PM
The American Revolution kicked off the French Revolution --- so it is quite conceivable that AC3's sequel will be during the French Revolution.

kudos17
03-03-2012, 07:41 PM
The American Revolution kicked off the French Revolution --- so it is quite conceivable that AC3's sequel will be during the French Revolution.

That's what I was thinking, too. This whole American Revolution bit will end Desmond's story, but there's no reason why we couldn't see the French Revolution, Victorian England, etc etc all the other places people wanted in the future installments.