PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Hookblade in AC3, yes or no?

SixKeys
02-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Do you think the hookblade should return in AC3? Most of the time when the developers introduce a new concept, they're going to import it into the next game. The hookblade was useful in Constantinople because there were so many tall buildings and the jumping distances were longer than in previous games, but depending on where AC3 takes place it might not make much sense for the new assassin to have one. Desmond's blade in AC2/ACB didn't seem to have a hook, I don't think Nikolai has one in The Fall comics and his story takes place in 19th century Russia, so it's not a given that all assassins clans would have adopted it after Ezio.

If you could choose, would you like to see the hookblade return in AC3?

LightRey
02-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Desmond's blade is for the left hand. The hookblade is on the right. I don't see why they shouldn't add the hookblade. I think it'd be useful anywhere.

SixKeys
02-27-2012, 05:24 PM
We don't even know for sure if Desmond is going to have double blades. If they do give him another blade, it begs the question why they didn't just give him two right from the start. I'm just thinking that if the hookblade really was useful everywhere, it should be part of the standard equipment of all assassins around the world yet it clearly isn't.

LightRey
02-27-2012, 05:30 PM
We don't even know for sure if Desmond is going to have double blades. If they do give him another blade, it begs the question why they didn't just give him two right from the start. I'm just thinking that if the hookblade really was useful everywhere, it should be part of the standard equipment of all assassins around the world yet it clearly isn't.

you're expecting him to fight with only a hidden blade? No armor? No guns? Not even a sword? Don't be ridiculous. If he's going to fight, they're going to actually arm him, not just let him screw around with one hidden blade and no armor.

twenty_glyphs
02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
I think it should return in some fashion, even if it's just the faster movement that it sometimes provides and not the actual blade itself. I can take or leave ziplines, since they just weren't that useful in the game though they were a little fun.

The13Doctors
02-27-2012, 06:10 PM

Like LightRey said, they haven't really been in a big battle, just some tussle with some guards. He kept a blade on him at all times in case of emergency. Also you are forgetting one crucial fact, the times you are referencing the Hook Blade didn't exist, now it does. It very well could have become standard after the 16th Century. Also remember, the novels aren't 1000% Canon, the game canon overcomes it all. They very well could have slightly different canon if it is convenient to additions they make in the future.

SixKeys
02-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Like LightRey said, they haven't really been in a big battle, just some tussle with some guards. He kept a blade on him at all times in case of emergency. Also you are forgetting one crucial fact, the times you are referencing the Hook Blade didn't exist, now it does. It very well could have become standard after the 16th Century. Also remember, the novels aren't 1000% Canon, the game canon overcomes it all. They very well could have slightly different canon if it is convenient to additions they make in the future.

Okay, I can buy that the reason Desmond doesn't have one could be because he simply isn't fully decked yet (with armor etc.). It's not impossible to think he'll get one from William if it's deemed necessary.

The novels, comics and other spinoffs are only non-canonical if they contradict something in the games. Nikolai not having a hookblade doesn't contradict anything we've seen so far, in fact there could be a good reason why the hookblade isn't standard in the 19th century anymore. It could go either way depending on what the devs think fits with the story. Personally I don't care much for the hookblade, so I would only like to see it return if it's a) optional or b) suits the story purposes. I don't think it's essential, just an extra gadget like the parachutes, so the devs could choose to take it or leave it when developing the next game. Removing it for the next protagonist could bring back some much-needed challenge.

crash3
02-27-2012, 06:37 PM
If the hookblade was used only for combat then its probably not necessary but if it is a means of transport as well then definitely keep it

kriegerdesgottes
02-27-2012, 06:47 PM
I just wish it was optional. I don't particularly like it and I much more enjoy just climbing like in the other games. Sometimes I attempt to get around without using it but you really just can't. I say make it optional.

mustangmaniak20
02-27-2012, 07:45 PM
NO. It contradicted the premise of the hidden blade itself which is stealth. I just felt like I was spiderman. Lets get things to feel a bit more real this time.

LightRey
02-27-2012, 08:27 PM
NO. It contradicted the premise of the hidden blade itself which is stealth. I just felt like I was spiderman. Lets get things to feel a bit more real this time.

Assassins don't climb buildings to stand out.

mustangmaniak20
02-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Exactly. While it was very cool it was just too noticable. I mean, you have heard how the thing sounded like in capadoccia, right? Iron man is coming *****ez, move outta my way!

LightRey
02-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Exactly. While it was very cool it was just too noticable. I mean, you have heard how the thing sounded like in capadoccia, right? Iron man is coming *****ez, move outta my way!

It's a few clacking noises. It's not like every time they hit the wall with the hook the whole street hears gunfire going off. In reality the hookblade would be no louder than Ezio's boots hitting the ground.

mustangmaniak20
02-27-2012, 09:42 PM
You just dont give up do ya ? :D
Whatever man, I dunno, im just stupid.

LightRey
02-27-2012, 09:50 PM
You just dont give up do ya ? :D
Whatever man, I dunno, im just stupid.

Giving up is for people who have a life. :D

eagleforlife1
02-27-2012, 10:06 PM
^This

dxsxhxcx
02-27-2012, 10:39 PM
no because I would like to have a different experience in AC3 and not play as Ezio in a different skin, the only gadgets that should stay are the hidden blade (dual or not), dagger and throwing knifes, the rest IMO is dispensable, I also think that the hookblade should be something exclusive of the Ottomans assassins and while it has some cool movements, using it to climb buildings was weird, it made look like Ezio was flying sometimes, IMO the speed with which Ezio climbed the buildings in AC2 is more than enough...

SixKeys
02-28-2012, 12:37 AM
no because I would like to have a different experience in AC3 and not play as Ezio in a different skin, the only gadgets that should stay are the hidden blade (dual or not), dagger and throwing knifes, the rest IMO is dispensable, I also think that the hookblade should be something exclusive of the Ottomans assassins and while it has some cool movements, using it to climb buildings was weird, it made look like Ezio was flying sometimes, IMO the speed with which Ezio climbed the buildings in AC2 is more than enough...

This. In many instances the hookblade actually feels like it's slowing me down instead of speeding things up. I keep trying to use it the way it was intended, but Ezio doesn't always react to the command, then when he does it's only for the first half of the climb. I've noticed that it's much less frustrating to just climb normally.

Some of the hookblade animations are also pretty clunky, like the leg sweep. If they do bring it back, I hope they tweak the animations.

Razrback16
02-28-2012, 02:07 AM
I was not a fan of the hook blade at all. I thought it was silly and truly hope it will not be used going forward. Just give me my hidden blades and my Crossbow and I'm a happy camper.

LordWolv
02-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Desmond's blade is for the left hand. The hookblade is on the right. I don't see why they shouldn't add the hookblade. I think it'd be useful anywhere.
I disagree..
It was fun and interesting for one game, definitely sped up free running, but it's too unique a thing to move onto the next game. Depending on where the game goes in the world, I'm sure there's more ingenious solutions to speeding up parkour, as well as the hookblade being unique to the Byzantine empire. It would be like bringing over the same clothes for the new assassin, not only lazy but also unrealistic due to the setting.

LightRey
02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
I disagree..
It was fun and interesting for one game, definitely sped up free running, but it's too unique a thing to move onto the next game. Depending on where the game goes in the world, I'm sure there's more ingenious solutions to speeding up parkour, as well as the hookblade being unique to the Byzantine empire. It would be like bringing over the same clothes for the new assassin, not only lazy but also unrealistic due to the setting.

The hookblade wasn't some unique invention that was limited to Istanbul just because it was most useful there. It's a freaking hook. Anyone who climbs anything would find that thing useful. Ezio even said in the game that "[his] brothers in Roma will like this". He was already going to spread the concept to other orders.

LordWolv
02-28-2012, 07:24 PM
The hookblade wasn't some unique invention that was limited to Istanbul just because it was most useful there. It's a freaking hook. Anyone who climbs anything would find that thing useful. Ezio even said in the game that "[his] brothers in Roma will like this". He was already going to spread the concept to other orders.
As a costume is freaking clothes. Anyone who likes warmth would find that useful. But Ubisoft obviously don't keep the same costume for the assassin through games, as it would look stupid and lazy. They need to think something else up.