PDA

View Full Version : Is Ascendance Canon?

archie7272
02-27-2012, 08:46 AM
I've been planning to have a massive playthrough of all the games and watch all the movies in chronological order and am wondering if I should just leave out ascendance because i'm not sure if it's canon or not.

The13Doctors
02-27-2012, 09:08 AM
I've been planning to have a massive playthrough of all the games and watch all the movies in chronological order and am wondering if I should just leave out ascendance because i'm not sure if it's canon or not.

Yes it is, it is a prequel of Brotherhood from Cesare's standpoint. There's a big reference to it in the game which I won't say for spoiler reasons, but yes.

Also, so is Assassin's Creed Generations.

Assassin_M
02-27-2012, 09:35 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzv4l0wCXw1qc280p.jpg

LightRey
02-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Yes it is, it is a prequel of Brotherhood from Cesare's standpoint. There's a big reference to it in the game which I won't say for spoiler reasons, but yes.

Eh, Generations is not canon at all. It's fan-made.

The13Doctors
02-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Eh, Generations is not canon at all. It's fan-made.

It's canon to me. It's about the team of Assassins that go to save Desmond which happens in AC1. The fact that it doesn't have the Ubisoft Trademark means nothing. It's just as canonical as anything else imo.

Assassin_M
02-27-2012, 09:48 AM
It's canon to me. It's about the team of Assassins that go to save Desmond which happens in AC1. The fact that it doesn't have the Ubisoft Trademark means nothing. It's just as canonical as anything else imo.
http://funny-pictures-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/epic-fail.jpg

LightRey
02-27-2012, 09:52 AM

I'm sorry, what? Do you even understand the concept of canon? Unless Ubisoft specifically decides to make it so, it's absolutely not canon. It could very well completely contradict primary elements of the story.

ace3001
02-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Generations is in no way canon. It's an entirely fan made short movie series. What's canon and what's not canon are decided by Ubisoft. Currently, I believe every official AC product except the present day parts of the Aquilus series have been deemed canon. Not sure, though.

Assassin_M
02-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Generations is in no way canon. It's an entirely fan made short movie series. What's canon and what's not canon are decided by Ubisoft. Currently, I believe every official AC product except the present day parts of the Aquilus series have been deemed canon. Not sure, though.
http://en.memgenerator.pl/mem-image/pudding-you-are-so-right-en-ffffff

The13Doctors
02-27-2012, 06:20 PM

You have decided hat isn't canon.. I deem what I feel is canon in the series. There are many fan made things in other series such as Doctor who that I consider more canon than some things that the "official" writers do.

itsamea-mario
02-27-2012, 06:27 PM
No ubi are the only ones who can deem it cannon.
It may very well depict the exact events according to AC lore, but until ubi say, it's not actually canon.

LightRey
02-27-2012, 06:28 PM
You have decided hat isn't canon.. I deem what I feel is canon in the series. There are many fan made things in other series such as Doctor who that I consider more canon than some things that the "official" writers do.

So what exactly are you planning to do if Ubisoft decides to give their own version of said events?

SixKeys
02-27-2012, 06:33 PM

Dude, the point is that you don't seem to understand the meaning of the word "canon". Canon = officially approved. You can choose to stick to your fan theories if you like them better than the official version, just be aware that it still doesn't make them canon. What you're describing is called fanon, fan-made stories or theories that are so popular they've become almost universally accepted. Just because Kirk/Spock is totally obvious in the eyes of many fans doesn't mean it's actually canon. :p

The13Doctors
02-27-2012, 06:35 PM
So what exactly are you planning to do if Ubisoft decides to give their own version of said events?

Choose what seems more likely of both versions and combine them, if applicable, and have my version of what I think [would] happen[ed].

LightRey
02-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Choose what seems more likely of both versions and combine them, if applicable, and have my version of what I think [would] happen[ed].

How exactly is that any different from thinking of your own outcome of events and calling it canon?

InfectedNation
02-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Generations is not canon.
I mean I seem to remember the rescue mission being set in America...?

Not to mention they have blades coming out their wrists which is just stupid and non Assassin's Creed-y.

Canon is not subjective, or a matter of opinion.

ace3001
02-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Canon = Officially approved parts of the fictional universe. So Ubisoft deems what's canon and what's not. You can't decide that.

LordWolv
02-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Ditto everyone who says it is canon.

Assassin_M
02-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Ditto everyone who says it is canon.
http://memeorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/wait-what-meme-rage-face.jpg