PDA

View Full Version : Byzantine guards in Galata/Constantine districts?

InCaudaV3n3nuM
02-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Hi, first post here. Love this game! I was wondering if anyone has run into a 4 man byzantine patrol while in Galata. I was not engaged in a mission and while in the southeast section all of the sudden they attacked me out of nowhere! Anyone know why? I have all dens under assassin control. I have never run into any byzantines guards outside of story missions except for the ones in the Constantine district that are hammering away at zip line poles on either side of the assassin den (wtf is with this as well?) A few other random questions: have you ever run into a bomber on the ground? Has the leg sweep replaced tackle entirely? Is it still possible to counter long weapons (in this case, the Varangian) with the hidden blades? (I can't find any to test on but the last time I ran into them it wasn't working). After I finished Arsenal Infiltration, the majority of the Animus data fragments suddenly showed up on my map. I decided to run around and collect them all and now I have 88/100. Anyone know why this happened all the sudden? Is there a weapon with unique animations a la the dagger of brutus?

http://i39.tinypic.com/111i9f9.jpg

This is a picture of one of the two rooftops with templars in the Constantine district. And a random beggar?

LightRey
02-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Ok, here we go.

1. There is a chance of running into a random Byzantine patrol or even an ambush similar to the ambushes by the Cento Occhi in ACB.
2. Yes, but they likely came down from the rooftops to chase me, a stalker (they sometimes appear on rooftops) or Byzantines.
3. Seems so. I'd say it's a good replacement. The tackle was somewhat awkward.
4. No. You'll have to use alternative methods to counter their attacks.
5. Once you've collected 50 animus fragments, the remaining ones appear on the map.

JumpInTheFire13
02-26-2012, 08:05 PM
The other 12 are in Cappadocia.

twenty_glyphs
02-26-2012, 08:25 PM
The tackle move is still there. I've done it in the game and the strategy guide says it's there. It's just harder to pull off because of the timing, and it does compete with the leg sweep move based on your current context. I don't know what the exact rules are for determining when you'll do a tackle and when you'll do a leg sweep. You can also still tackle from above.

I think this is an example of how they finally tacked on so many extra features that the controls became unwieldy and hard to handle in this game. Eagle Sense is another example. I hope they strip everything back down and build the controls up from scratch in AC3, keeping things that are meaningful and changing some to accommodate new gameplay features.

InfectedNation
02-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Posted this before back in Novemeber, If you want to counter a varangian, use counter-steal (on xbox it's RT+Y) then attack while they're off guard. Works with any weapon equipped, so it can be a very useful tactic for quick knockouts and works on all enemies. Not always successful though, it's about timing and luck.

kalo.yanis
02-26-2012, 10:26 PM
The more effective way of countering varangians is the counter-"throw to the ground" (no idea how it's actually called). You do it whilst holding Shift on the PC.

Also, Vlad the Impaler's sword has unique animations, but you can only unlock it if you've bough one of the special editions (or the upcoming dlc).

InCaudaV3n3nuM
02-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Thanks LightRey, that clears most of that up. I'm still wondering about the reason for the byzantines hammering the zip line poles.. oh well. I'll also have to try tackling again. The reason I asked about the hidden blade counter against the Varangians is because in the IGN guide, they describe them as extremely vulnerable to it. Must be an error on their part. Not a big deal either since the counter steal/throw work excellent against them. I agree, twenty_glyphs. Personally, I hope that they bring back a way to trigger FPV. I think it makes things more immersing (FPV from a high viewpoint for example). Thanks for the info, NBST. I hope they're as cool as the brutus dagger anims, I guess I'll find out when I get the new DLC.

SixKeys
02-28-2012, 01:14 AM
Also, Vlad the Impaler's sword has unique animations, but you can only unlock it if you've bough one of the special editions (or the upcoming dlc).

They are also annoyingly long which is why I rarely use Vlad's sword. Every kill animation takes about 5 seconds when all I want is to get out of there quickly.

InCaudaV3n3nuM
02-28-2012, 06:22 AM
I just noticed yet another strange occurrence. There is an Ottoman patrol that will always attack you, no matter what, in Galata. They spawn down a road by the medical shop closest to Galata tower.

Screenshot:

http://i41.tinypic.com/3481r8n.jpg