PDA

View Full Version : Classics from the Sartor Library - Official Decryption Thread

DiiLite
02-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Greetings Assassins,

Lead Scriptwriter on Assassin's Creed Revelations Darby McDevitt has a mission for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiRkwOrxMD8

A Note from Alex Livingston

As a member of the Assassin Order, you are no stranger to secrets.

A textbook is delivered to your home unbidden, and even from the slim volume's introduction it is clear there is something unusual hidden within.

As a lover of the classics and a life-long gamer, the book quests in AC: Revelations could not have been more intriguing and fun. Saving the world from the Templars can wait; I've got books to collect! The Sartor Classics is a collection of passages from these works and other writings of the era, and also... ah, but that would be telling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find the PDF here - http://ubi.li/XPTjr

EscoBlades
02-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Hmmm....interesting ;)

For those baffled, i can already tell that it is a Caesarian Shift cipher (you'll have to work out just exactly how much to shift)

The opening sequence reads...
"SAFETYANDPEACEBRO(T)HER......."

Good luck. I look forward to seeing who cracks it all ;)

TheAras777
02-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Here's some more ^^

"Safety and peace brother here in you will find a tale from the hisory of our order we have translated the text from its original languages but used the same type of encryption the type which bears the name of heatssassin who first wrote it Leon Battista Alberi..."

I'm not certain what heatssassin is, have I missed a letter or something?

LukarFox
02-23-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm gonna see if I can find out how to decrypt this. :P

Here's some more ^^

"Safety and peace brother here in you will find a tale from the hisory of our order we have translated the text from its original languages but used the same type of encryption the type which bears the name of heatssassin who first wrote it Leon Battista Alberi..."

I'm thinking it's meant to say "the assassin". Maybe it's an error, or you made an error or something?

SixKeys
02-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Here's some more ^^

This is just a wild guess, but "heatssassin" = misspelled "the assassin"? ;)

baseball7030
02-24-2012, 01:54 AM
"Safety and peace brother. Here in you will find a tale from the history of our order. We have translated the text from its original languages but used the same type of encryption. the type which bears the name of the assassin who first wrote it Leon Battista Alberti . look to the illustrations for the wheels index letter."

the index letter changes for the next section, so i have to figure that out now. I'm not sure what illustrations he's referring to

ac4ev
02-24-2012, 05:01 AM
wow how do you find out what type of cypher it is??? And how did you guys decode it??

Tobbi1993
02-24-2012, 05:15 AM
I think he refers to this ilustration: The Alberti cipher disk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberti_cipher_disk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberti_cipher_disk)

@ac4ev
Caesar cipher is the easiest and the most known Encryption. So you try this methode first. There are only 25 possible combinations.

twenty_glyphs
02-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Safety and peace brother. Herein you will find a tale from the history of our order. We have translated the text from its original languages but used the same type of encryption, the type which bears the name of the Assassin who first wrote(?) Leon Battista Alberti. Look to the illustration for the wheel index letter.

London
Year of our Lord Sixteen Hundred and Sixty Six

This story I relate to thee as London dies around me. The plague will take me soon enough but I have taken precautions so that these books -- all that remains of the personal library of the great mentor Ezio Auditore of Florence -- will survive to the benefit of our great order. Pass they shall from the hands of one librarian into the ready hands of the next as they have these many years.

Some will say I have defiled the books, marking the letters which make my coded message. Yet Polo did much the same. The histories of our order must survive and I alone know the tale I will tell thee. I would pass it on by speech but this filthy plague has claimed my fellows. This abbreviated text will survive in code alone.

Here begins my transcription of the history of the capable Assassin Leon Alberti:

My first memory is of fear. We fled Genoa when my mother died of the plague. I spent our flight with a thin cloth over my face to protect me from the illness of my native city. Fear of the invisible came to define my life.

I was schooled in law but detested it. Man-made rules. Such foolishness. I preferred the ineffable laws of mathematics and studied them as a hobby.

When not struggling with my texts I enjoyed the company of my uncle. He respected the life of the mind but preferred feats of strength to those of the pen. He taught me to jump higher than a man.

When father died my uncle adopted me. I learned that he was a man of secrets. He kept strange company and often returned late at night bloodied and grime.

My uncle sent me on an errand once. He gave me a message in a simple code to deliver to a friend in Padua. He told me it contained a time and location for a meeting and it was important I attend to the task in a timely manner. I set out that night promising to reach my destination by dawn.

Along the way I was set upon by a man wearing mail and a surcoat with a red cross. He bludgeoned me with a mace before I could speak. When I awoke the message was gone.

My uncle disappeared after that. Surely his enemies had broken the code and surprised him at his rendezvous. After that I became diligent in my study of mathematics, finding succor in the practical. A friend introduced me to architecture and aided me in finding employment with the church. Over the years I gained some little respect due to my knowledge and writings and after some time I began to receive requests for my designs.

One man in particular wanted my expertise -- a handsome fellow of the name Riari who smiled while he spoke even as he threatened me. He wanted me to rig a secret trap in a building I was designing. He said if I did not take his job he could see me lose my position with a word. He said he could have me imprisoned.

I refused him nonetheless, afraid that my superiors would hang me if they learned of the treachery. Riario stormed out of my room, his short cape fluttering behind him. It bore a red cross.

Sometime after another unusual person came to enlist my services. She wore a red sash over a white travelling cloak and kept her face hooded. I was working on the facade of Santa Maria Novella at the time and this mysterious woman asked me to add something stranger. She wanted a secret door which would lead to the catacombs below the building.

For payment she offered not money but membership in a clandestine organization, one which she promised held the same ideals as I. "Leon, we can help you", she said. "Help you to fight instead of cowering in fear."

With that she took a pen from my table and drew a cross in red ink on a scrap of paper. I agreed.

Over the coming years I learned of the Assassins and became trained in some of their arts. I found the basics of their tutelage to be identical to that of my uncle. He had been preparing me for this even as a boy.

When my work on Santa Maria Novella was finished Riario came to my offices once more, this time accompanied by four men. All were armed. Riario grinned at my surprise and said he would kill me if I did not reveal what the Assassins had hidden in the church.

But I did not fear him or his thugs. I no longer feared anything.

I dispatched Riario with a thrown knife and cast a smoke-making bomb to distract the others as I leapt from the window to the street below.

Concealment and speed. Those were the talents which would bring victory to the order.

I am no great fighter but I contribute to our cause as I can. Knowing as I now do that my dear uncle was a brother and was done in by an overly simple cipher I have invented a new method of encryption, much stronger than has previously been known. The Templar fiends use brute force and intimidation to reach their ends, neither of which can break my new code. I designed it to be rapidly deciphered but only by one in possession of the correct wheel.

Concealment and speed.

I hope my story can serve as a lesson to others. The Templars would use fear to control. Do not let it control you.

Safety and peace,
Leon Battista Alberti

Here ends the transcripting.

May Albert's story serve to remind us that it is not only by the sword that we shall defeat the Templars. We have need of the wise as well as the strong.

Disease will break me but the knowledge in these books both plain and hidden shall survive as immortal as the ideals we serve.

Rien n'est vrai, tout est permi (Nothing is true, everything is permitted)
Henry Foe, Fourth Order Assassin
dgdqgrphjudqdhrweorvsrwgrwfrpww (to be deciphered later)

baseball7030
02-24-2012, 02:05 PM
the last part is actually: "ohdgdqgsrphjudqdwhgrweorjvsrwgrwfrp"

this decodes to: "lead and pomegranate dot blogspot dot com"

that takes you to this website: http://leadandpomegranate.blogspot.com/

this website is just the author thanking and congratulating you for decoding the message

LightRey
02-24-2012, 02:37 PM
The sauce is awesome over here. Good work you guys! Very interesting read too.

twenty_glyphs
02-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks, baseball7030. I was still trying to decode the last part of the message using the Alberti Cipher instead of switching back to a Caesar Cipher. Plus, it was late and time for bed. I've gone back through and cleaned up some of the actual ciphertext letters here and there, and this is the "true" decoded message without my own punctuation and line breaks added (I only added the hyphens to break apart the pieces of the message). Sorry there are so many word filter triggers:

SafetyandpearotherereinyouwillfindatlefromtehIstor yoFororderWeavetranslAtedthetextromitsoriginllanGu agesbutusedthesametypefencryptionthetypewhichbears thenamefhassassinwhofirstrtiteonbattistaalbetilook toteillustrationforthewheelinexletterk
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LONDON
YEAROFOURLORDSIXTEENHUNDREDANDSIXTYSIX
THISSTORYIRELATETOTHEEASLONDONDIESAROUNDME
THEPLAGUEWILLTAKEMESOONENOUGHBUTIHAVETAKENPRECAUTI ONSSOTHATTHESEBOOKSALLTHATREMAINSOFTHEPERSONALLIBR ARYOFTHEGREATMENTOREZIOAUDITOREOFFLORENCEWILLSURVI VETOTHEBENEFITOFOURGREATORDER
PASSTHEYSHALLFROMTHEHANDSOFONELIBRARIANINTOTHEREAD YHANDSOFTHENEXTASTHEYHAVETHESEMANYYEARS
SOMEWILLSAYIHAVEDEFILEDTHEBOOKSMARKINGTHELETTERSWH ICHMAKEBYCODEDMESSAGE
YETPOLODIDMUCHTHESAME
THEHISTORIESOFOURORDERMUSTSURVIVEANDIALONEKNOWTHET ALEIWILLTELLTHEE
IWOULDPASSITONBYSPEECH****HISFILTHYPLAGUEHASCLAIME DMYFELLOWS
THISABBREVIATEDTEXTWILLSURVIVEINCODEALONE
HEREBEGINSMYTRANSCRIPTIONOFTHEHISTORYOFTHECAPABLEA SSASSINLEONALBERTI
MYFIRSTMEMORYISOFFEAR
WEFLEDGENOWHENMYMOTHERDIEDOFTHEPLAUE
ISPENTOURFLIGHTWITHATHINCLOTHOERMYFACETOPROTECTMEF ROMTHEILLNESSOFMYNATIVECITY
FEAROFTHEINVISIBLECAMETODEFINEMYLIFE
IWASSCHOOLEDINLAWBUTDETESTEDIT
MANMADERULES
SUCHFOOLISHNESS
IPREFRREDTHEINEFFABLELAWSOFMATHEMATICSANDSTUDIEDTH EMASAHOBBY
WHENNOTSTRUGGLINGWITHMYTEXTSIENJOYEDTHECOMPANYOFMY UNCLE
HERESPECTEDTHELIFEOFTHEMINDBUTPREFERREDFEATSOFSTRE NGTHTOTHOSEOFTHEPEN
HETAUGTMETOJUMPHIGHERTHANAMAN
WHNFATHERDIEDMYUNCLEADOPTEDME
ILEARNEDTHATHEWASAMANOFSECRETS
HEKEPTSTSANGECOMPANYANDOFTENRETURNEDLATEATNIGHTBLO ODIEDANDGRIM
MYUNCLESENTMEONANERRANDONCE
HEGAVEMEAMESSAGEINASIMPLECODETODELIVERTOAFRIENDINP ADUA
HETOLDMEITCONTAINEDATIMEAIDLOCATIONFOAMEETINGANDIT WASIMPORTANTIATTENDTOTHETASKINATIMELYMANNER
ISETOUTTHATNIGHTPROMISINGTOREACHMYDESTINATIONBYDAW N
ALONGTHEWAYIWASSETUPONBYAMANWEARINGMAILANDASURCOAT WITHAREDCROSS
HEBLUDGEONEDMEWITHAMACEBEFORICOULDSPEAK
WHENIAWOKETHEMESSAGEWASGONE
MYUNCLEDISAPPEAREDAFTERTHAT
SURELYHISENEMIESHADBROKENTHECODEANDSURPRISEDHIMATH ISRENDEZVOUS
AFTERTHATIBECAMEDILIGENTINMYSTUDYOFMATHEMATICSFIND INGUCCORINTHEPRCTICAL
AFRIEDINTRODUCEDMETOARCHITECTUREANDAIDEDMEINFINDIN GEMPLOYMENTWITHTHECHURCH
OVERTHEYEARSIGAINEDSOMELITTLERESPECTDUETOMYKNOWLED GEANDWRITINGSANDAFTERSOMETIMEIBEGANTORECEIVEREQUES TSFORMYDESIGNS
ONEMANINPARTICUALRWANTEDMYEXPERTISEAHANDSOMEFELLOW OFTHENAMERIARIWHOSMILEDWHILEHESPOKEEVENASHETHREATE NEDME
HEWANTEDMETORIGASECRETTRAPINABUILDINGIWASDESIGNING
HESAIDIFIDIDNOTTAKEHISJOBHECOULDSEMELOSEMYPOSITION WITHAWORD
HESAIDHECOULHYVEMEIMPRISONED
IREFUSEDHIMNONETHELESSAFRAIDTHATMYSUPERIORSWOULDHA NGMEIFTHEYLEARNEDOFTHETREACHERY
RIARIOSTORMEDOUTOFMYROOMSHISSHORTCAPEFLUTTERINGBEH INDHIM
ITBOREAREDCROSS
SOMETIMEAFTERANOTHERUNUSUALPERSONCAMETOENLISTMYSER VICES
SHEWOREAREDSASHOVERAWHITETRAVELLINGCLOAKANDKEPTHER FACEHOODED
IIWASWORKINGONTHEFACADEOFSANTAMARIANOVELLAATTHETIM EANDTHISMYSTERIOUSWOMANASKEDMETOADDSOMETHINGSTRANG E
SHEWANTEDASECRETDOORWHICHWOULDLEADTOTHECATACOMBSBE LOWTHEBUILDING
FORPAYMENTSHEOFFEREDNOTMONEYBUTMEMBERSHIPINACLANDE STINEORGANIZATIONONEWHICHSHEPROMISEDHELDTHESAMEIDE ALSASI
LEONEWECANHELPYOUSHESAID
HELPYOUTOFIGHTINSTEDOFCOWERINGINFEAR
WITHTHATSHETOOKAENFROMMYTABLEANDDREWACROSSINRE**** ONASCRAPOFPAPER
IAGREED
OVERTHECOMINGYEARSILEARNEDOFTHEASSASSINSANDBECAMET RAINEDINSOMEOFTHEIRARTS
IFOUNDTHEBASICSOFTHEIRTUTELAGTOBEIDENTICALTOTHATOF FYUNCLE
HEHADBEENPREPARINGMEFORTHISEVENASABOY
WHENMYWORKONSANTAMARIANOVELLAWASFINISHEDRIARIOCAME TOMYOFFICESONCENCENCEMORETHISTIMEACCOMPANIEDBYFOUR MEN
ALLWEREARMED
RIARIOGRINNEDATMYSURPRISEANDSAIDHEWOULDKILLMEIFIDI DNOTREVEALWHATTHEASSASSINSHADHIDDENINTHECHURCH
BUTIDIDNOTFEARHIMORHISTHUGS
INOLONGERFEAREDANYTHING
IDISPATCHEDRIRAIOWITHATHROWNKNIFEANDCASTASMOKEMAKI NGBOMBTODISTRACTTHEOTHERSASILEAPTFROMTHEWINDOWTOTH ESTREETBELOW
CONCEALMENTANDSPEED
THOSEWERETHETALENTSWHICHWOULDBRINGVICTORYTOTHEORDE R
IAMNOGREATFIGHTERBUTICONTRIBUTETOOURCAUSEASICAN
KNOWINGASINOWDOTHATMYDEARUNCLEWASABROTHERANDWASDON EINBYANOVERLYSIMPLECIPHERIHAVEINVENTEDANEWMETHODOF ENCRYPTIONMUCHSTRONGERTHANHASPREVIOUSLYBEENKNOWN
THETEMPLARFIENDSUSEBRUTEFORCEANDINTIMIDATIONTOREAC HTHEIRENDSNEITHEROFWHICHCANBREAKMYNEWCODE
IDESIGNEDITTOBERAPIDLYDECIPHEREDBUTONLYBYONEINPOSS ESSIONOFTHECORRECTWHEEL
CONCEALMENTANDSPEED
IHOPEMYSTORYCANSERVEASALESSONTOOTHERS
THETEMPLARSWOULDUSEFEARTOCONTROLLL
DONOTLETITCONTROLYOU
SAFETYANDPEACE
LEONEBATTISTAALBERTI
HEREENDSTHETRANSCRIPTIN
MAYALBERTISSTORYSERVETOREMINDUSTHATITISNOTONLYBYTH ESWORDTHATWESHALLDEFEATTHETEMPLARJ
WEHAVENEEDOFTHEWISEASWELLASTHESTRONG
DISEASEWILLBREAKME****HEKNOWLEDGEINTHESEBOOKSBOTHP LAINANDHIDDENSHALSSUVIVEASIMMORTALASTHEIDEALSWESER VE
RIENNESTVRAI
TUTESTPERMIS
HENRYFOEFOURTHORDERASSASSIN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
leaDandpomegranatedoTbloGspotDoTcoM

playassassins1
02-24-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm late to the party, so i'm going to try to decode this myself.

twenty_glyphs
02-24-2012, 06:52 PM
If anyone is interested in how I deciphered the message, the details are below. Spoiler warnings for anyone looking to solve it on their own.

*** SOLUTION METHOD SPOILERS ***

I hate to admit that I actually broke the cipher using the Templar method of brute force and intimidation that Alberti said wouldn't work. This method wouldn't have worked as fast (or at all) without some knowledge of the Alberti Cipher, programming experience, and a modern laptop. But we can forgive Alberti for not anticipating the rise of the computer.

I could have solved it a lot faster if I had paid more attention to the Wikipedia page for the Alberti Cipher. But since I didn't, I knew that the Alberti Cipher was a simple substitution cipher represented by an inner and outer wheel. The outer wheel alphabet corresponds to letters of the original message (the plaintext), and the inner wheel alphabet corresponds to the letters of the encrypted message (the ciphertext). The picture of the outer wheel is on Page 103 of the PDF file, numbered in the book as Page 96. It's just the capital letters A-Z. The inner wheel is on Page 137 of the PDF file, numbered in the book as Page 130. It's a lowercase alphabet that has been scrambled, but contains all 26 letters of the English alphabet.

The cipher works by turning the inner wheel to line up some letter with a "key" letter on the outer wheel. Then to encrypt a message, you pick a letter on the outer wheel and turn the inner wheel to line up a predetermined letter with that letter on the outer wheel. Then for every letter in the original message, you find that letter on the outer wheel and write down the corresponding letter on the inner wheel. Decrypting the message works the opposite way, by finding letters from the ciphertext, looking them up on the inner wheel, and writing down the corresponding letter on the outer wheel. The missing piece of information was from the Wikipedia page, where Alberti suggests using the letter "k" on the inner wheel as the letter to always line up with the key letter on the outer wheel. My mistake was using the letter "v" on the inner wheel to line up, which I assumed because it was at the top of the wheel.

Because of my missing knowledge, I had the right alphabets but not the right keys. So I simply ran the whole message through a program that deciphered the entire text using each key, A-Z. This revealed sections of the message for most letters that were obviously in English. Then I broke out those sections into their own lines and marked down my faulty key for the line (faulty but working for my purposes). Most of my time was spent simply looking for the word "the" in each deciphered version of the text and breaking out the lines of English I found.

I started to notice that each line of English that worked for a given key always had an extra letter associated with it. I soon discovered that the letter was always uppercase in the original text from the book. I knew it was the key for that section, but I ignored it for the time being because I didn't know the missing piece of info about the letter "k". After I was done and researched the Alberti Cipher more, I read that Alberti suggested writing down a capital letter as the key of the outer wheel in the ciphertext every time the key of the encryption scheme was changing. So every time you encounter an underlined letter that's capitalized in the book, that's a new key letter to use and also marks a new sentence.

Did I spend hours painstakingly writing down every single letter from the book? Even I don't have that kind of devotion! I uploaded the PDF to http://www.pdfonline.com/convert-pdf-to-html/, which converted it to HTML for me. Each underlined section was now marked in the HTML code, and I wrote a script to pull out all the letters marked as underlined in the HTML. There were definitely some errors in the process and some letters were missed, but the resulting text was probably at least 98% accurate, so it was good enough.

The author of this work did an awesome job with the encrypted story and his encryption method. It was a lot of fun to crack the code. Ubisoft, if you can get something like this into a future AC game, I would be thrilled. I loved the secret messages in Subject 16's Truth files, and this type of puzzle was sorely missed in Revelations.

Konzti
02-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Wow. Just wow... Great job there, twenty_glyphs! Usernames sometimes really say it all...

JumpInTheFire13
02-26-2012, 08:14 PM
So is this considered canon?

twenty_glyphs
02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
So is this considered canon?

Since it was written by a fan, I would say no. But since Ubisoft was obviously impressed by the project, the scope of the story is relatively self-contained and the author did such a good job of making the story fit with history and the AC canon, I don't see why they couldn't incorporate it into the official canon.

rhamley
03-11-2012, 12:33 AM
Here's some more ^^

You did not mess up anything except a slight translation. heatssassin is not the correct translation, but if u use the same letters in a different order you will find HEAT-ssassin = the assassin. i hope this cleared it up for you! :)

TheAras777
03-11-2012, 04:53 PM
You did not mess up anything except a slight translation. heatssassin is not the correct translation, but if u use the same letters in a different order you will find HEAT-ssassin = the assassin. i hope this cleared it up for you! :)

Haha, yeah, thanks, other's have pointed out that as well ^^

RzaRecta357
03-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Totally thought that was going to be canon. That was cool. Thanks for the read guys.

Rensrecluse
03-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Well Actually i tryed to cipher it with just the cipher with the A put on the V and we found in the TEXT of homer

that there is a hidden text thats different from the computer coded code form 20 glyphs

The odyssey of Homer
butler

First page : VCBVVVQX

Ex dee epu

Ex dee e pu

Feast of the Goddess

pieces of pure

This is what we found because its Latin

RzaRecta357
04-06-2012, 07:24 PM
So, does it seem like the new encyptions will be something Conner finds and decrypts ala the codex from AC2?

CYBERMONKEY1997
07-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Can anyone tell me what there is to notice about the library of congress number the author makes mention to it in the blog