PDA

View Full Version : the FP desmond sequences poll

lothario-da-be
02-23-2012, 02:52 PM
lets see how many people like/dislike it

ElDoucherino
02-23-2012, 03:12 PM
I would like to have an additional option: I like them but feel that they are a bit missplaced in the assassins creed universe...

lothario-da-be
02-23-2012, 03:20 PM
can i add options?

ElDoucherino
02-23-2012, 03:43 PM
I have no idea, I am as new to this as you are...sorta :)

LightRey
02-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Maybe under thread tools?

Will_Lucky
02-23-2012, 03:51 PM
I honestly have no opinion on them. It was one of those gameplay sequences where I can completely zone out and focus on something outside of it. In this case I completely zoned out of the whole game just listening to Desmonds story I have little memories of the actual gameplay.

HD RoLoS v
02-24-2012, 06:26 PM
i hate them with a passion just not fun or entertaining in any way :mad:

naran6142
02-24-2012, 07:40 PM
i was mainly ok with FP stuff, didnt hate it wasnt crazy bout it

im pumped for this new dlc cuz of wat we will learn more than the gameplay side of it

eagleforlife1
02-24-2012, 07:46 PM
i hate them with a passion just not fun or entertaining in any way :mad:

You took the words out of my mouth.

SolidSage
02-24-2012, 08:01 PM
The problem with this Poll is that it collects all positive votes into one category, while dividing the negative votes into two, therby making it seem that the votes in favor significantly out number the votes against. There are players like myself, who didn't 'despise' the FP puzzles but do NOT want them in an AC ever again. I'd wager that everyone who voted for the second option is of that mind set.
Anyway, no beef, just saying, simpler FOR or AGAINST polls will give more accurate data.

For the record, I'm waiting on the SP DLC purchase until others play and review it, if it's all FP I'm not buying it. It'd be like ordering a burger and being slid a salad instead. I'm a huge AC fan but this DLC could really tarnish the series image for me.

ShaneO7K
02-24-2012, 09:02 PM
I really didn't mind the FP sequences. I enjoyed getting to know Desmond in them and it was something different. In my opinion even if they were done in normal AC fashion there still would've been people complaining because there was no action or just found something else to complain about.

LightRey
02-24-2012, 09:04 PM
I really didn't mind the FP sequences. I enjoyed getting to know Desmond in them and it was something different. In my opinion even if they were done in normal AC fashion there still would've been people complaining because there was no action or just found something else to complain about.

Very true.

twenty_glyphs
02-24-2012, 09:25 PM
The problem with this Poll is that it collects all positive votes into one category, while dividing the negative votes into two, therby making it seem that the votes in favor significantly out number the votes against. There are players like myself, who didn't 'despise' the FP puzzles but do NOT want them in an AC ever again. I'd wager that everyone who voted for the second option is of that mind set.
Anyway, no beef, just saying, simpler FOR or AGAINST polls will give more accurate data.

For the record, I'm waiting on the SP DLC purchase until others play and review it, if it's all FP I'm not buying it. It'd be like ordering a burger and being slid a salad instead. I'm a huge AC fan but this DLC could really tarnish the series image for me.

I agree with this. I didn't vote in the poll because I didn't love the Desmond's Journey sequences and I didn't hate them. They were okay, but I really didn't like the first person gameplay aspect. The surreal environments were unique and enjoyable, but they are poor substitutes for actual story scenes with people and locations. I thought the act of placing blocks to platform on was a cool idea, but not deep enough to really enjoy. I think they should have expanded on the gameplay when Desmond went through the virtual environment after solving all the Truth Clusters in Brotherhood if they wanted something like that in Revelations. I would have enjoyed climbing through a maze and solving platforming puzzles as Desmond more than doing it in first person.

As for the DLC, I'm intrigued because of the story aspects and can tolerate the gameplay for that. It also looks like there might be a little more depth to it this time, so that's good. I hope the actual story presentation gets much better though, because the scene from the trailer where blocks get Assassin logos on them to seemingly replicate people just feels like lazy storytelling to me, and definitely not "innovative".

Even though I didn't hate the Desmond's Journey missions, I don't want to see the gameplay return to the series after The Lost Archive. If they want to have characters exploring the depths of the Animus computer system, do it in third person with an avatar for that character.

naran6142
02-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I agree with this. I didn't vote in the poll because I didn't love the Desmond's Journey sequences and I didn't hate them. They were okay, but I really didn't like the first person gameplay aspect. The surreal environments were unique and enjoyable, but they are poor substitutes for actual story scenes with people and locations. I thought the act of placing blocks to platform on was a cool idea, but not deep enough to really enjoy. I think they should have expanded on the gameplay when Desmond went through the virtual environment after solving all the Truth Clusters in Brotherhood if they wanted something like that in Revelations. I would have enjoyed climbing through a maze and solving platforming puzzles as Desmond more than doing it in first person.

As for the DLC, I'm intrigued because of the story aspects and can tolerate the gameplay for that. It also looks like there might be a little more depth to it this time, so that's good. I hope the actual story presentation gets much better though, because the scene from the trailer where blocks get Assassin logos on them to seemingly replicate people just feels like lazy storytelling to me, and definitely not "innovative".

Even though I didn't hate the Desmond's Journey missions, I don't want to see the gameplay return to the series after The Lost Archive. If they want to have characters exploring the depths of the Animus computer system, do it in third person with an avatar for that character.

agreed, i like the idea as platforming the same way as in the truth in ACB, that to me would b much more enjoyable

Animuses
02-24-2012, 10:11 PM
The Desmond sequences were absolute garbage. Who in their right mind would think spamming blocks is a good idea?

thekarlone
02-24-2012, 10:24 PM

I think the second choice is more positive than negative. Then, there are two positives answers and one negative answer. Accept there are a lot of people who likes the Desmond Sequences or just they don't hate them.

YuurHeen
02-24-2012, 10:49 PM
they were like the den defense and bombs. it added a little bit of fun and diversity but i rather not have them again.

D.I.D.
02-24-2012, 11:15 PM
My reaction isn't covered by your poll, so I can't vote.

I was so starved of anything close to a puzzle in ACR that I leapt into finding fragments and doing the Desmond sequences as soon as I could. They had some good bits when you had to figure out what was happening and how to negotiate it, and I liked the visual style of the elements on the walls. The VR Training environment in ACB was still a lot classier, so I'm surprised they didn't make it a broken/tarnished version of that.

I don't suppose there'll be a reason for it to come back since it was part of the cir****tances of the coma and the Black Room. I'll skip the DLC and wait for AC3.

pirate1802
02-25-2012, 12:12 AM

True!

pirate1802
02-25-2012, 12:17 AM
they were like the den defense and bombs. it added a little bit of fun and diversity but i rather not have them again.

Bombs would be in future ACs because they are a natural evolution on the smoke bomb Ezio used to have earlier. I loved bombmaking, In my experience, hey aren't totally useless as some people are saying, you do need them if you go for 100% sync which requires you to be undetected/not kill anyone.

kalo.yanis
02-25-2012, 12:20 AM
I think I would have enjoyed regular platforming more. I don't think that conjuring blocks up was a very... engaging mechanic.

Acrimonious_Nin
02-25-2012, 12:23 AM
shut up

kalo.yanis
02-25-2012, 12:26 AM
shut up

http://thejesuscodpiece.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/oh-no-you-didnt.jpg

Dieinthedark
02-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Individually they don't seem to fit, but otherwise I thoroughly enjoy the challenge and the bit of mystery/puzzle solving, plus the whole projected text they tried out in SCC is put to a perfect use.

Acrimonious_Nin
02-25-2012, 01:16 AM
hahhahahah -_-

pirate1802
02-25-2012, 05:40 AM
Individually they don't seem to fit, but otherwise I thoroughly enjoy the challenge and the bit of mystery/puzzle solving, plus the whole projected text they tried out in SCC is put to a perfect use.

Exactly. Loved the projected text/image both in SCC and ACR.

lukaszep
02-25-2012, 11:30 AM
I like them, but they didn't too work on the controls a bit more. I mean, it was 1st person to make it more personal right? Well how come then, we were some kind of invisible floating object? No feet? No arms? I think they should have taken a bit more inspiration from Mirror's Edge, and it would have been perfect.
Also, making the placing of the blocks easier would have been good. Say if it were the normal AC controls for running (without sprinting) the four keypad keys (X,O etc. or A,Y etc.) could have been the different blocks. That way, in places you wouldn't even need to stop running to set them down. It would have added replay value, especially if it were treated as a time trial on replay.

ChaosxNetwork
02-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Wouldn't say they are amazing or that they are dreadful. What makes them great is the story you got about Desmond and what you will get about 16. The game play matters little and is just away to get you to zone out of the game and focus on the story without having one giant cut scene

itsamea-mario
02-25-2012, 03:58 PM
I like them, but they didn't too work on the controls a bit more. I mean, it was 1st person to make it more personal right? Well how come then, we were some kind of invisible floating object? No feet? No arms? I think they should have taken a bit more inspiration from Mirror's Edge, and it would have been perfect.
Also, making the placing of the blocks easier would have been good. Say if it were the normal AC controls for running (without sprinting) the four keypad keys (X,O etc. or A,Y etc.) could have been the different blocks. That way, in places you wouldn't even need to stop running to set them down. It would have added replay value, especially if it were treated as a time trial on replay.

Well you dont actually have a body in those parts.
As Desmond says, it's pure data, you're merely moving through it.

abbitha7
02-25-2012, 10:02 PM
I don't like them. It makes me feel like an invisible floating head - there's no grounding, no feeling as though you're actually doing the walking. On top of that, the controls make it difficult to navigate each level. Usually, I prefer FP in games, but I want third person in my AC!

LightRey
02-25-2012, 10:16 PM
I don't like them. It makes me feel like an invisible floating head - there's no grounding, no feeling as though you're actually doing the walking. On top of that, the controls make it difficult to navigate each level. Usually, I prefer FP in games, but I want third person in my AC!

I think that feeling was the point. You're supposed to get the idea that you don't really have a body anymore.

dxsxhxcx
02-25-2012, 11:24 PM
I think that feeling was the point. You're supposed to get the idea that you don't really have a body anymore.

if I'm not wrong after you jump you can hear a noise like your feet hitting the ground when you land, what's odd in a place where you shouldn't have a body... :P

this has nothing to do with this thread but I don't want to create a new thread just to ask this, it's been some time since I played ACR and I don't remember now, did they explain (in the game or interview) why Desmond has different clothes inside of the animus?!

twenty_glyphs
02-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Yeah, the disembodied feel of the levels is very disorienting. It makes it even more disorienting for me than normal first person, where at least you might see hands or feet as a point of reference. The jumping is also awkward. You can't jump very far or high, I never got the feel for how far or high I was going to jump because there were no points of reference. And that's after playing each section at least 3 times.

If you want more inside info about the Desmond segments, there's an interesting video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZuwKpTUrg. The developers at Massive say that the gameplay idea was something they came up with and prototyped. Ubisoft Montreal saw it and someone thought it would fit well with Revelations, so they commissioned it for that. It was not designed from the ground up to be for Assassin's Creed.

GeneralTrumbo
02-26-2012, 12:23 AM
They did what they were supposed to and were very good. I liked them.

Acrimonious_Nin
02-26-2012, 01:20 AM
They did what they were supposed to and were very good. I liked them.

lol someone understands...I think that the reason they did this was because of the cir****tances...it makes no sense that after all the 3rd person free running mechanics they would just go, ''hey, first person ...um i do not know how to make first person games''. get it. they did this for this game do to the artistic expression of desmond's broken mind. :D lol they did it perfectly but they could make it better if they added more psychological illusions since he is trapped in his mind lol ...they need a cognitive neuroscientist/cognitive neuropsychologist in there helping them out lol.... or maybe not, whatever ;D

EDIT: circ umstances lol...these bad filters will teach kids bad words not us lmao

LightRey
02-26-2012, 02:06 AM
if I'm not wrong after you jump you can hear a noise like your feet hitting the ground when you land, what's odd in a place where you shouldn't have a body... :P

this has nothing to do with this thread but I don't want to create a new thread just to ask this, it's been some time since I played ACR and I don't remember now, did they explain (in the game or interview) why Desmond has different clothes inside of the animus?!

You're forgetting that this is the animus. Desmond even remarks in the first part of Desmond's Journey that he can't even feel his own body. I think that in this environment the animus is only partly able to simulate his body, meaning that the basic mechanics such as walking, jumping and falling still exist, but that it's not much more complex than that and it's not actually rendered.

GeneralTrumbo
02-26-2012, 02:50 AM
lol someone understands...I think that the reason they did this was because of the cir****tances...it makes no sense that after all the 3rd person free running mechanics they would just go, ''hey, first person ...um i do not know how to make first person games''. get it. they did this for this game do to the artistic expression of desmond's broken mind. :D lol they did it perfectly but they could make it better if they added more psychological illusions since he is trapped in his mind lol ...they need a cognitive neuroscientist/cognitive neuropsychologist in there helping them out lol.... or maybe not, whatever ;D

EDIT: circ umstances lol...these bad filters will teach kids bad words not us lmao

EXACTLY. This was supposed to represent Desmond WITHOUT a body; therefore third person would make NO SENSE. The blocks are simply tools for exploring and moving through his mind. They could have had more interactive illusions and stuff, I agree, but all in all they were pretty good.

Acrimonious_Nin
02-26-2012, 02:59 AM
Yes lol, i agree with you lol

pirate1802
02-26-2012, 04:02 AM
if they added more psychological illusions since he is trapped in his mind lol ...they need a cognitive neuroscientist/cognitive neuropsychologist in there helping them out

O.o

And yes I do agree, not having Desmond's body WAS the whole point. Introducing normal third-person gameplay would make no sense because why would Desmond wanna relive his own life? Having a body would make no sense either because as he himself said: "This is the core of the animus where everything is raw data." Jumping and sound effects are there but they are incomplete simulations of his body, or to give the player some reference for movement. It would have been better if they had introduced more illusions, visuals and stuff. Like when he was narrating his story of his life as bartender, they should have made the environment look more like a bar, with lights and all, maybe projections of some chicks dancing ;) But the groundwork they laid out is good, I loved that.

dxsxhxcx
02-26-2012, 02:39 PM
EXACTLY. This was supposed to represent Desmond WITHOUT a body; therefore third person would make NO SENSE. The blocks are simply tools for exploring and moving through his mind. They could have had more interactive illusions and stuff, I agree, but all in all they were pretty good.

why 3rd person sequences wouldn't make sense?! It was Ubisoft who wanted the Desmond sequences to be that way, if they had made them in 3rd person with the animus emulating the places and the people of his memories (like the ancestors) it would be the same thing... there's no reason for those memories not be in 3rd person like the gameplay we are used to, Ubisoft is the one responsible for the "rules of the animus"....

Acrimonious_Nin
02-26-2012, 03:13 PM
why 3rd person sequences wouldn't make sense?! It was Ubisoft who wanted the Desmond sequences to be that way, if they had made them in 3rd person with the animus emulating the places and the people of his memories (like the ancestors) it would be the same thing... there's no reason for those memories not be in 3rd person like the gameplay we are used to, Ubisoft is the one responsible for the "rules of the animus"....

If you look at it artistically, it will make sense, but if you look at it through gamer eyes...well all you have is a misunderstanding and dissatisfactions...when you think in your head, do you have a full body? or when you dream, is it your body thats moving or your consciousness or in this case your subconsciousness ? it makes sense...

dxsxhxcx
02-26-2012, 04:25 PM
If you look at it artistically, it will make sense, but if you look at it through gamer eyes...well all you have is a misunderstanding and dissatisfactions...when you think in your head, do you have a full body? or when you dream, is it your body thats moving or your consciousness or in this case your subconsciousness ? it makes sense...

but we aren't dreaming in the game, and I didn't say that the current gameplay style we have for Desmond Journey don't make sense, I just said that the same events he remembers in those sequences would also make sense in 3rd person (like we play with the ancestors) if Ubisoft wanted to make them that way and IMO they would have been much more enjoyable if they were made that way...

TheSpong
02-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Worst. Addition. Ever.
Along with Den Defence and the bombs. Although I'll admit the bombs are more pointless than outright terrible.

pirate1802
02-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Worst. Addition. Ever.
Along with Den Defence and the bombs. Although I'll admit the bombs are more pointless than outright terrible.

bombs have their uses, when you go for full sync.

If you think that way, bombs are about as useless as the dagger and crossbow, you hardly ever need them. Same goes for poison blade. Yet people never complain about these.

LightRey
02-26-2012, 06:34 PM
bombs have their uses, when you go for full sync.

If you think that way, bombs are about as useless as the dagger and crossbow, you hardly ever need them. Same goes for poison blade. Yet people never complain about these.

Or when you wanna have fun.