PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed is doomed...

GeneralTrumbo
02-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Think about it. People are IN SUPPORT of them making it for years and years. Because they keep buying it, Ubisoft will continue yearly releases. I can already see this franchise dieing out and growing to be a terrible game. I will buy next year's title and that is all. I am done buying after Desmond's story is over.

ali-severi
02-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Well, we really don't know what's going to happen, do we?
AC is not that kind of game... I mean, it's not like The Sims or something like that... it will die with the story... (I think)

Assassin_M
02-11-2012, 11:33 PM
I suggest we wait until AC III, and then judge whether its over or not..

D.I.D.
02-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Fair assessment.

I think the devs know there's a problem - didn't they assure us last summer that there'd be a break of AC3? - but the CEO recently played up AC as an annual thing because of the great profits so far.

Recipe for disaster, I think. The games will be bad, but the basic mechanics are so good that most people won't care. Sprinkle a few "whoa" moments in cinematics here and there, and most people won't notice it's bad, or realise it's not as good as ACB or AC2. People will be so pleased with the regularity, they won't wonder if it could have been much better with just an extra 6 months of design and an extra 6 months of testing. ACR proved that. People are stupid and easily pleased, but if you play into that then it's only a matter of time until it blows up in your face.

ElTORO713
02-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Yeah I think once Desmond"s story is over they might just end it there and if they keep making games hopefully not cause it would get boring I dont think I would buy cause I dont think anything else would make sense

ThaWhistle
02-12-2012, 12:04 AM
I kind of hope they stop the series after AC3.

If anyhting they should go to a spiritual successor, like how AC is to prince of persia.

kriegerdesgottes
02-12-2012, 12:09 AM
I suggest we wait until AC III, and then judge whether its over or not..

That's my plan. I'm giving them until AC3 to sway me to not just leave the franchise all together. My interest in the franchise is so close to diminished it's scary. I can't wait to see what their plan is for ACIII because I just know that will be the ultimate deal breaker for me as to whether I continue to love the franchise or just totally give it up and look towards Patrice at THQ to see if he'll make my replacement for favorite game franchise ever.

D.I.D.
02-12-2012, 12:34 AM
That's my plan. I'm giving them until AC3 to sway me to not just leave the franchise all together. My interest in the franchise is so close to diminished it's scary. I can't wait to see what their plan is for ACIII because I just know that will be the ultimate deal breaker for me as to whether I continue to love the franchise or just totally give it up and look towards Patrice at THQ to see if he'll make my replacement for favorite game franchise ever.

I don't know if you've seen what's going on with THQ, but they're borderline bankrupt. The company is unlikely to survive, let alone to finish production of that game.

mustash
02-12-2012, 12:38 AM
What happened to Prince of Persia will happen to AC at this rate. Not that PoP got bad, but that they saturated the market with PoP games that people grew tired. It happened much quicker with PoP as well but by that time, they were already working on AC. It's such a shame because AC still has a wealth of potential, it has ALL of recorded history to draw upon but like any game, a one year turn over doesn't make a great game, even with 5-6 studios working on it. Games need time for re-development, not impulse decisions just so something new makes into the game (looking at you Den-defense, bombs). Everyone is anxious that AC3 shows at least the length of AC2, that the new ancestor can somehow match or beat Ezio (who has 3 games for backstory, depth, etc) but I think we are in for a nasty suprise.

Activision with COD paved the way for game developers to suprise everyone once and then use that same formula with very few meaningful tweaks every year. But again, this causes franchise fatigue when the games don't progress. Consider that we've had essentially the same parkour mechanics, with a gimmick thrown in for good measure in Revelations (although, as gimmicks go, the hookblade is enjoyable) for all 4 games. I won't be suprised if that doesn't change. We've also had a very similar combat system (guards wait their turn to attack, practically impossible to lose in combat) for 4 games with AC1 holding the most challenge. How much longer can they keep this up? The mystery of the story is waning as well, even though it's as ambitious as ever.

Is AC doomed however? I present
Exhibit A) "(about COD) Within 24 hours of going on sale, the game sold 6.5 million copies in the US and UK alone." COD MW3 Wiki
Exhibit B) "'Call of Duty' sales propel Activision's net profit to $1.1-billion!" http://blogs.bettor.com/Call-of-Duty-sales-propel-Activisions-net-profit-to-1-1-billion-a128878
Exhibit C)(For AC:R) "Global Sales estimated at present: 3.20m" VGChartz (not entirely reputable but a good indicator)

The market for essentially the same game every year is already well established and AC by way of Ubisoft is trying it's level best to emulate Activision, it's so very obvious at this point. So perhaps it may not be doomed in sales, but it's artistic merits will continue to fall by the way side. My opinion of course.

That said, I do hope AC3 will fulfil mine and others dreams of this series returning to it's strengths and innovating like it did before.

twenty_glyphs
02-12-2012, 12:47 AM
I am surprised and sad to see how much my interest in this series has dwindled after Revelations. I think the main issue right now is the yearly development cycle instead of the yearly release cycle. Only having a year to develop Revelations prevented it from having as much content as Brotherhood, let alone AC2. But I'm not sure if even setting up yearly release cycles with two-year overlapping development cycles will work. The series is very story-driven, and what do they do if the story becomes stale and people stop caring about the mysteries and cliffhangers? Part of me wants yearly releases if the quality of the story and mysteries can continue to push forward like AC2 and Brotherhood while improving gameplay more than AC2 to Brotherhood to Revelations. But if the games are stale like Revelations, no thank you.

The lack of product support and communication from Ubisoft has also really put me off. Here we are basically 3 months after the release of Revelations, and they still have not fixed the background music bug among many other widely requested issues. About all they've done to support the game post-launch has been a patch that broke previously working features. Also look at things like Project Legacy and the emails at abstergoindustries.com — both were cool projects that a lot of people liked, and were just abandoned without communicating with their fans.

I'm going to give AC3 a chance, but after that I'll have to see. I'm willing to chalk up the staleness of Revelations to the short development time rather than the yearly exposure for now. But AC3 better have a satisfying story and fresh gameplay or else it will be in trouble. A big part of me feels that no matter how good AC3 is, a one year break would be good for the franchise. I'm interested to see what kind of story they could tell after Desmond's, but one year later may be too soon.

rileypoole1234
02-12-2012, 12:53 AM
I too am a bit worried for AC. People just aren't obsessed with it like they were before. I can only wonder what will happen if AC3 isn't as good as AC2.

dxsxhxcx
02-12-2012, 01:09 AM
I'm interested to see what kind of story they could tell after Desmond's, but one year later may be too soon.

Desmond don't save the world, we discover that he was being used by TWCB who wanted his special DNA to recreate their race and then another war between TWCB and the humans that survived the catastrophe that Desmond didn't stop happens, the catastrophe (like we saw in ACR) will almost destroy the earth and we'll be forced to use swords and hidden blades in a post apocalyptic world where Templars and Assassins are now fighting side by side to try to defeat TWCB... xD

kriegerdesgottes
02-12-2012, 01:15 AM
I don't know if you've seen what's going on with THQ, but they're borderline bankrupt. The company is unlikely to survive, let alone to finish production of that game.

I've seen it but they are focusing all their resources right now on triple A projects right now instead of licensed games which is a good idea and they have some decent stuff coming out like the South Park game. They are in trouble for sure but I think they are starting to make some much better decisions and so far Patrice's project is still on track for 2014

gamertam
02-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Call me crazy or whatever, i'm still just as nuts for the AC universe even now, aside from the critics under-appreciated for Revelations. Do i think if AC franchise is doomed? for myself i think--no. It's not dead if they can pull off the same dedication levels and productions like in AC2 and Brotherhood. I believes Assassin's Creed can lives well into old aged. With ACIII i will gladly purchase with a stupid smile on my face. I'm not going into a depressed mode because some critics wrote a few undesired words for one installment, it's just their opinion. Their opinion(s) isn't the be all and end all.

If i remember it right, i read that Ubisoft will take a breather after ACIII. Or at least developing on a two-year cycle. I could be wrong here.

Well that's just me and my opinion.

D.I.D.
02-12-2012, 01:37 AM
Called crazy or whatever, i'm still just as nuts for the AC universe even now, aside from the critics under-appreciated for Revelations. Do i think if AC franchise is doomed? for myself i think--no. It's not dead if they can pull off the same dedication levels and productions like in AC2 and Brotherhood. I believes Assassin's Creed can lives well into old aged. With ACIII i will gladly purchase with a stupid smile on my face. I'm not going into a depressed mode because some critics wrote a few undesired words for one installment, it's just their opinion. Their opinion(s) isn't the be all and end all.

If i remember it right, i read that Ubisoft will take a breather after ACIII. Or at least developing on a two-year cycle. I could be wrong here.

Actually I'm depressed that reviewers rated Revelations so highly. I've seen very few official reviews that properly lay out the truth about this game, whereas Brotherhood got a bit of a kicking and I thought that was completely unfair. BH doesn't have AC2's big Pixar-like story, but I've always thought BH was way in front as a game and was improved in all aspects of the design. It's among my favourite games of all time.

I've been going back yet again and playing the older ones. I hope the people making the games have time to do that themselves. The jump in quality in Brotherhood and the drop to Revelations is pretty much unmissable to me.

edzilla_551
02-12-2012, 02:08 AM
Fair assessment.

I think the devs know there's a problem - didn't they assure us last summer that there'd be a break of AC3? - but the CEO recently played up AC as an annual thing because of the great profits so far.

Recipe for disaster, I think. The games will be bad, but the basic mechanics are so good that most people won't care. Sprinkle a few "whoa" moments in cinematics here and there, and most people won't notice it's bad, or realise it's not as good as ACB or AC2. People will be so pleased with the regularity, they won't wonder if it could have been much better with just an extra 6 months of design and an extra 6 months of testing. ACR proved that. People are stupid and easily pleased, but if you play into that then it's only a matter of time until it blows up in your face.
Agreed

rileypoole1234
02-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Call me crazy or whatever, i'm still just as nuts for the AC universe even now, aside from the critics under-appreciated for Revelations. Do i think if AC franchise is doomed? for myself i think--no. It's not dead if they can pull off the same dedication levels and productions like in AC2 and Brotherhood. I believes Assassin's Creed can lives well into old aged. With ACIII i will gladly purchase with a stupid smile on my face. I'm not going into a depressed mode because some critics wrote a few undesired words for one installment, it's just their opinion. Their opinion(s) isn't the be all and end all.

Well I would say that everybody on the Forums is crazy for AC still. Yes you are right, according to Ubi, AC3 will be the last yearly release of an AC game. Like you said, I'll be buying AC3 no matter what.

kansaspppob
02-12-2012, 02:27 AM
just to make it clear:

the next game WILL be the last so please stop the "i hope it will/won't" bla bla...

ok...i think that when u all think about it real good, u´ll know that the quality of the storyline has gone MUCH down through the last 2 games.
the first assassin game i bought was ac2, and i bought it like 5-6 months after release, and i was AMAZED!
it was the best game ever. i completed it 3 times and it was still fun to climb up buildings with the thief leader, and try to kill the bastards. so of course i bought ac brotherhood. and it was also great...but it was too much repetition that really had nothing to do with the story honestly. I'm talking bout repairing closed shops, and burning down towers (killing the captains never got old though). and the fact that u also USED THAT in revelations...i was so disappointed...here´s a list of some of the useless content:

1: the repairing
2: the burning down towers (booooooring)
3: the tower defense. it wasn't funny for 1 second. although the thought about doing it again, kept me from killing random guards, and act more like an actual assassin¨
4:the bomb missions...simply too easy, and nothing i wouldn't have found out on my own anyway

thats pretty much it...and ofc, ill also do a quick list of the new things i found awesome in revelations/brotherhood

1: x bow-simply awesome
2:hookblade-aweosme addition, thank u, and keep it (though it was rather useless in multiplayer)
3:ability to throw weapons+other badass kill moves...FATALITY!! haha
4: other things making things as traveling more smooth, and graphics etc.

as for the multiplayer: nice "touch", but ubisoft focus too much on this, instead of the story which, (in my opinion) is much more important.
it is the reason to all the fans, and will always be that.

thx for reading, and have a nice day 

D.I.D.
02-12-2012, 03:06 AM
here´s a list of some of the useless content:

Don't forget "find the hidden books". Among many other nonsensical additions, that takes the biscuit.

Climb that thing.
Turn on the vision.
Oh look, blue things.
Is it that blue thing?
No.
What about that blue thing?
Yes.
Go there.
Press "Search".

Now if that wasn't a clear sign of the cynicism involved in padding out this ropey game, I don't know what further proof anybody needs. So incredibly insulting.

B_Crispino
02-12-2012, 06:45 AM
revelations also disappointed me a bit... but i'll just wait until ac3. dont think the franchise is doomed, though. there are many people who buy it only to make some parkour and kill some guards, those will keep buying. and we, who enjoy the game as a whole (mechanics, graphics, story, etc) and worry about its development are just too hooked to leave it aside. Thats for me at least.

ReptileHand
02-12-2012, 07:15 AM
I don't know what you guys are saying. AC1 was great. ACII was breathtaking. I found myself enveloped around the game so much. Especiallly with the cliffhanger... but then came along brotherhood. I started the game out and ... it just felt boring. Going through the game... just felt like a big burden to me. I couldn't enjoy it at all. I don't know why, it just seemed like a hassle. It felt like a tiny side mission to ACII. AC Revelations however was very nice in my opinion. I liked it, I want to 100% this, although I just realized that I locked myself out of getting the Sage trophy because the new patch accidentally blocked that. I will pre-order ACIII and set aside $60 for it even though I could probably get it for $30 on black friday. I really hope they take a two year break after AC III ... because that would be a VERY VERY smart decision, It would take my mind off of the AC universe. I played AC brotherhood on Christmas 2010, then beat a few sequences in the following months, then just stopped playing it. I forced it down my throat a year later (January 2012) just so I could play AC Revelations. I also don't see why AC: Revelations has 99 prestiges, which is ridiculous for a game that's only going to last a year before a fresh new multiplayer is re-applied. I really don't know why AC Brotherhood didn't appeal to me....It just didn't feel right for me.

masterfenix2009
02-12-2012, 09:36 AM
The single player for Revelations was great to me. Constantinople was a beautiful city and environment. The hookblade was a great addition to the arsenal. I actually miss it when I am playing AC2 and Brotherhood. The bombs were creative and fun. The blood bomb and the poison bomb are among my favorites. The story that Darby Mcdevitt wrote was brilliant. The characters were wonderful. Yusuf and Sofia bringing in such interesting and likable personalities. Den Defense was also fun if you know how to play it.

So do I think AC will die? No. I think it will thrive on AC3's release.

eagleforlife1
02-12-2012, 09:47 AM
I don't know what you guys are saying. AC1 was great. ACII was breathtaking. I found myself enveloped around the game so much. Especiallly with the cliffhanger... but then came along brotherhood. I started the game out and ... it just felt boring. Going through the game... just felt like a big burden to me. I couldn't enjoy it at all. I don't know why, it just seemed like a hassle. It felt like a tiny side mission to ACII. AC Revelations however was very nice in my opinion. I liked it, I want to 100% this, although I just realized that I locked myself out of getting the Sage trophy because the new patch accidentally blocked that. I will pre-order ACIII and set aside $60 for it even though I could probably get it for $30 on black friday. I really hope they take a two year break after AC III ... because that would be a VERY VERY smart decision, It would take my mind off of the AC universe. I played AC brotherhood on Christmas 2010, then beat a few sequences in the following months, then just stopped playing it. I forced it down my throat a year later (January 2012) just so I could play AC Revelations. I also don't see why AC: Revelations has 99 prestiges, which is ridiculous for a game that's only going to last a year before a fresh new multiplayer is re-applied. I really don't know why AC Brotherhood didn't appeal to me....It just didn't feel right for me.

Agree word-for-word with this.

mustangmaniak20
02-12-2012, 11:14 AM
I liked GamePros quote: " At its core, this is the Assassin's Creed we've grown to love in recent years, and it still serves as a pretty good time sink -- plus, it's a necessary bridge to next year's already-announced follow-up. But obligation shouldn't be the primary reason to play something, and sadly, that's too often the case in this humdrum campaign."

The13Doctors
02-12-2012, 12:25 PM
No.
What people seem to forget is that Ubisoft has many people on it, there's like 6-8 studios working on it instead of the usual one.

They have a whole studio dedicated to multi-player and a studio dedicated to research which takes one month, after that they have about 5 studios working on the single-player game.

I love the game, after 5 variations, there's not much to improve. They have balanced the combat, given the parkour a bit revamp with the Hook Blade, given us plenty of customization for our individual gameplay styles with the different bombs, weapons, and some character customization with the robe colors. Everything is at it's prime, there's not much they can do to improve the gameplay, with the addition of Assassin Dens and expansion of Apprentice Missions we have 2 new overall game styles to keep us busy all the time.

The technical time doesn't mean anything when you consider how many more people are working on it.

pacmanate
02-12-2012, 01:02 PM
I am surprised and sad to see how much my interest in this series has dwindled after Revelations. I think the main issue right now is the yearly development cycle instead of the yearly release cycle. Only having a year to develop Revelations prevented it from having as much content as Brotherhood, let alone AC2. But I'm not sure if even setting up yearly release cycles with two-year overlapping development cycles will work. The series is very story-driven, and what do they do if the story becomes stale and people stop caring about the mysteries and cliffhangers? Part of me wants yearly releases if the quality of the story and mysteries can continue to push forward like AC2 and Brotherhood while improving gameplay more than AC2 to Brotherhood to Revelations. But if the games are stale like Revelations, no thank you.

The lack of product support and communication from Ubisoft has also really put me off. Here we are basically 3 months after the release of Revelations, and they still have not fixed the background music bug among many other widely requested issues. About all they've done to support the game post-launch has been a patch that broke previously working features. Also look at things like Project Legacy and the emails at abstergoindustries.com — both were cool projects that a lot of people liked, and were just abandoned without communicating with their fans.

I'm going to give AC3 a chance, but after that I'll have to see. I'm willing to chalk up the staleness of Revelations to the short development time rather than the yearly exposure for now. But AC3 better have a satisfying story and fresh gameplay or else it will be in trouble. A big part of me feels that no matter how good AC3 is, a one year break would be good for the franchise. I'm interested to see what kind of story they could tell after Desmond's, but one year later may be too soon.

^This. Thats all anyone needs to read. I thought they wanted to make AC a trilogy anyway? If the whole AC story was leading up to the end of the world 2012 why would you continue this after saving the world? This war between assassins and templars can go on forever. The could very well leach the **** out of the franchise

LightRey
02-12-2012, 01:12 PM
No.

Really all I need to say.

The13Doctors
02-12-2012, 01:13 PM
^This. Thats all anyone needs to read. I thought they wanted to make AC a trilogy anyway? If the whole AC story was leading up to the end of the world 2012 why would you continue this after saving the world? This war between assassins and templars can go on forever. The could very well leach the **** out of the franchise

They confirmed a while ago, The End Of The World is just one storyarch, it is a trilogy, the other two games in Ezio's trilogy are Spin Off's so to say, full and good games, but the 3 games form a single story about Desmond's time in the Animus exploring Ezio's life.

The AC world is special because it is all about history, while the recurring Desmond story is very interesting and fun, AC can hold very well on it's own without it. Just exploring the past there are thousands of years and about 60,000-90,000 miles of history to explore and view.

They have confirmed AC after this storyarch to be without Desmond.

D.I.D.
02-12-2012, 01:23 PM
What people seem to forget is that Ubisoft has many people on it, there's like 6-8 studios working on it instead of the usual one.

They have a whole studio dedicated to multi-player and a studio dedicated to research which takes one month, after that they have about 5 studios working on the single-player game.

I love the game, after 5 variations, there's not much to improve. They have balanced the combat, given the parkour a bit revamp with the Hook Blade, given us plenty of customization for our individual gameplay styles with the different bombs, weapons, and some character customization with the robe colors. Everything is at it's prime, there's not much they can do to improve the gameplay, with the addition of Assassin Dens and expansion of Apprentice Missions we have 2 new overall game styles to keep us busy all the time.

The technical time doesn't mean anything when you consider how many more people are working on it.

It depends on what you call "gameplay". You're right about the movement mechanics, but that's exactly my fear - the basic behaviour of the player character is pretty much nailed, to such an extent that there's a danger of the designers continuing to coast along.

When I wish there was more development time, I'm talking about the design aspects generally, especially mission design. I loved AC2, which had a great story driving you forward, and there were a decent number of missions that had more interesting design which allowed for creativity. I loved AC:B even more, despite the loss of some of AC2's features, because the mission design was so much improved. The number of missions which rewarded you for smart play was increased, and I'm playing it yet again right now and I'm still finding new ways and routes - and not just new ways, but new cunning ways - to beat the missions. It was also the first game that really had me going "WHAT? Noooo!", because I was actually failing missions. I love failing missions. I love the way AC:B offered me seemingly impossible goals, and made me think about how to beat them. That's when the game is exciting to me, not when I'm mowing down endless numbers of soldiers in skill-free combat.

Revelations had the appearance of lots of ways to complete the mission, but extra slots on the weapon wheel aren't the same thing. Victory was a foregone conclusion, and deciding which of the overweighted options to use was a coin toss. Shall I win with a bomb or any of three high-ammo missile weapons, or the incredibly easy melée combat? Also, what was the point of any other gunpowder except the one that made the biggest bang? The gameplay never presented me with a situation where a smaller explosion would be the wisest option. Despite the possibilities of the blood, stink and gold bombs, we were never given a mission to do anything interesting such as having to separate a single hostile target hiding in the middle of a thick crowd of civilians. I can only remember one mission, the last return to the palace to meet Suleiman without being seen, which led me to use a different path on a replay. That was also the only mission ever which made me think "I might fail here". I didn't of course, because ACR caters to the least skilled players.

Then there was the mission to get Sofia's painting back from the trader. I'd run out of smoke bombs, so as an experiment I ran around the next corner and threw an explosive up the corridor, killing the art dealer and a civilian. The game didn't care: 100% sync. ACB would never have allowed that.

TheOldMonk
02-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Assassin's Creed:- A 16 yr old virgin Princess; very pretty but totally vacuous.

AC 2:- 18 yr old fiancee; incredibly pretty, has a real sense of who she is. Life with her is wonderful and the future looks oh so rosy.

AC Brotherhood:- 21 yr old party girl; still has great looks but goes out on the razz a bit too hard and starting to look directionless.

AC Revelations:- wtf happenned? partied way too much, came into contact with cocaine and realy went for it hell for leather. Now she has to sell herself on the street just to pay for her habit. Does a lot of different tricks for different punters ( turns a hobby into a management sim? check. introduces tower defense sim to cover over some cracks? check, online play is rubbish so we'll just ignore the problems and hope that adding more modes will hide that fact? check.) Basically she's turned into a well worn crack-*****.

mustangmaniak20
02-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Assassin's Creed:- A 16 yr old virgin Princess; very pretty but totally vacuous.

AC 2:- 18 yr old fiancee; incredibly pretty, has a real sense of who she is. Life with her is wonderful and the future looks oh so rosy.

AC Brotherhood:- 21 yr old party girl; still has great looks but goes out on the razz a bit too hard and starting to look directionless.

AC Revelations:- wtf happenned? partied way too much, came into contact with cocaine and realy went for it hell for leather. Now she has to sell herself on the street just to pay for her habit. Does a lot of different tricks for different punters ( turns a hobby into a management sim? check. introduces tower defense sim to cover over some cracks? check, online play is rubbish so we'll just ignore the problems and hope that adding more modes will hide that fact? check.) Basically she's turned into a well worn crack-*****.

Haha, Nailed it!

dxsxhxcx
02-12-2012, 02:50 PM

AC Revelations = Amy Winehouse :P

ReptileHand
02-12-2012, 05:03 PM
assassin's creed:- a 16 yr old virgin princess; very pretty but totally vacuous.

Ac 2:- 18 yr old fiancee; incredibly pretty, has a real sense of who she is. Life with her is wonderful and the future looks oh so rosy.

Ac brotherhood:- 21 yr old party girl; still has great looks but goes out on the razz a bit too hard and starting to look directionless.

Ac revelations:- wtf happenned? Partied way too much, came into contact with cocaine and realy went for it hell for leather. Now she has to sell herself on the street just to pay for her habit. Does a lot of different tricks for different punters ( turns a hobby into a management sim? Check. Introduces tower defense sim to cover over some cracks? Check, online play is rubbish so we'll just ignore the problems and hope that adding more modes will hide that fact? Check.) basically she's turned into a well worn crack-*****.

perfect

tarrero
02-12-2012, 07:00 PM
I am probably alone on this, but I prefer REvelations over Brotherhood, mostly due to the fact that I liked Constantinople more tham Rome....

masterfenix2009
02-12-2012, 07:08 PM
I am probably alone on this, but I prefer REvelations over Brotherhood, mostly due to the fact that I liked Constantinople more tham Rome....
This.

The13Doctors
02-12-2012, 07:14 PM

I agree, although the overall story I preferred Brotherhood. As for the direct story, probably Revelations, although I missed many things such as High Speed horse chases through the city, having to make quick decisions and turn through alleys and stuff, it was loads of fun and it was like playing the first mission again but with full control. That and Pulleys, there were very few of them. The Castel was fun though, It was cool infiltrating it in different ways, I have gone up at least 10 times, several times I've made it without ever being seen, not even an empty arrow. There wasn't much stuff you could do that wasn't directly implemented into the game in Revelations.

Brotherhood is my overall favorite because there's a lot more things to do and the world is truly yours. In Revelations once you get the Ishak Pazak Armor and complete 100% Synch you have nothing left to do, at all.

LightRey
02-12-2012, 07:34 PM

You're not. Don't worry. The people that aren't satisfied are massively overrepresented. Especially the ones that aren't satisfied with the latest installment (currently ACR).

Acrimonious_Nin
02-12-2012, 08:11 PM
I think people jump to conclusions to fast, these last 2 games acb and ac:R are just spin-offs(so naturally its like supplementing a storyline)...ac2 was awesome for most because it was a new big installment..ac3 most likely will be like ac2 big..for any artist out their you know that abusing of a certain concept will make the overall 'art' bland and abused(its not as amazing as the first time) i think thats why ac:b and ac:r were good enough for there respective location in the ac universe

@tarrero i have to agree revelation for me takes the cake....

Gil_217
02-12-2012, 08:19 PM
I think people jump to conclusions to fast, these last 2 games acb and ac:R are just spin-offs(so naturally its like supplementing a storyline)...ac2 was awesome for most because it was a new big installment..ac3 most likely will be like ac2 big..for any artist out their you know that abusing of a certain concept will make the overall 'art' bland and abused(its not as amazing as the first time) i think thats why ac:b and ac:r were good enough for there respective location in the ac universe

@tarrero i have to agree revelation for me takes the cake....

LMAO at your signature, why in the f*ck did you put in the end "conversation between Al Mualim and Altair" if you already identified them through the dialog.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/9590/bustag.png

Acrimonious_Nin
02-12-2012, 08:21 PM
lmao at your signature, why in the f*ck did you put in the end "conversation between al mualim and altair" if you already identified them through the dialog.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/9590/bustag.png
because there are people like you that are so special that you deserve the redundancy of what going on!!!!!!!!!! Do not change the subject....you are on a witch hunt after me..and why did you quote me if nothing you posted had to do with it -__- what is it with you and always herassing me on the forums your worse that GLHS which does the same thing when something i say makes no sense, but you my friend like to attack just because you want my attention..notice how i ignored your last 2 attempts ;) but you keep going lol your lucky im a good sport :P

P.S - Your cursing its against the rules buddy ;) read the rules why don't you huh?

P.S.S - lololololollololololololololololololololololol <----- see what i did there ? that for you my love ;)

Gil_217
02-12-2012, 08:25 PM
because there are people like you that are so special that you deserve the redundancy of what going on!!!!!!!!!! Do not change the subject....you are on a witch hunt after me..and why did you quote me if nothing you posted had to do with it -__-

I couldn't resist.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9656/35kr4eg.png

Acrimonious_Nin
02-12-2012, 08:28 PM
I couldn't resist.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9656/35kr4eg.png
Acrimonious: yeah i edited that post -__- i have no idea what your talking about try adding a dialogue like i have...it'll make more sense ;)

Gil_217: oooo im sorry oh great one forgive me lol

Acrimonious : stop typing 'lol' noob

Gil_217: ooo im sorry oh great one i will ooooo

Gil_217
02-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Acrimonious: yeah i edited that post -__- i have no idea what your talking about try adding a dialogue like i have...it'll make more sense ;)

Gil_217: oooo im sorry oh great one forgive me lol

Acrimonious : stop typing 'lol' noob

Gil_217: ooo im sorry oh great one i will ooooo

Man, I need to give it up to you, you are amazing, how you can still make idiotic comments and self humiliate yourself is beyond me, but you can still do it. Amazing.

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/clapping/citizen_cane.gif

Acrimonious_Nin
02-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Man, I need to give it up to you, you are amazing, how you can still make idiotic comments and self humiliate yourself is beyond me, but you can still do it. Amazing.

lol thank you that's all i wanted to prove is that your out to get me, this post is your confession of a flamer au revoir!

mustash
02-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Get a room you two, sheesh.

Acrimonious_Nin
02-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Get a room you two, sheesh.
unfortunately we have many rooms -___- i try to run...he just follows, just watching my ever post hes kinda... out to get me here i dont know why..

LightRey
02-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Hey guys, I have this awesome idea. Let's get back on topic! It'll be fun!

Not that I like this topic.

mustash
02-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Hey guys, I have this awesome idea. Let's get back on topic! It'll be fun!

Not that I like this topic.

Sure thing pseudo mod! ;)

What i've noticed is that the fans seem to be of the consesus that AC:R was lackluster, critics also have scored it the lowest game in the series thus far. If this is indicative of a trend (remember, fans also said the same of AC:B) then I do indeed worry for the future of the franchise. I'll likely get told that in spite of evidence, that the series is still going just as strong as ever by a few but what these people fail to realise is outside of the subjective nature of our opinions, the games HAVE gotten shorter, drastically so with Revs. But that right there, again, can be said to be subjective and that game length is meaningless because people complete it at different speeds. Regardless, critically the weakest entry into the series is Revelations. But one bad apple (of eden) does not making a bad series, let's wait for 3.

Just as an aside: I find it very interesting that people try to disqualify peoples criticisms of entertainment when as a matter of fact, they live or die by the level of general appraisal they get.

Acrimonious_Nin
02-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Sure thing pseudo mod! ;)

What i've noticed is that the fans seem to be of the consesus that AC:R was lackluster, critics also have scored it the lowest game in the series thus far. If this is indicative of a trend (remember, fans also said the same of AC:B) then I do indeed worry for the future of the franchise. I'll likely get told that in spite of evidence, that the series is still going just as strong as ever by a few but what these people fail to realise is outside of the subjective nature of our opinions, the games HAVE gotten shorter, drastically so with Revs. But that right there, again, can be said to be subjective and that game length is meaningless because people complete it at different speeds. Regardless, critically the weakest entry into the series is Revelations. But one bad apple (of eden) does not making a bad series, let's wait for 3.

Just as an aside: I find it very interesting that people try to disqualify peoples criticisms of entertainment when as a matter of fact, they live or die by the level of general appraisal they get.

I agree but to my Perception i See it likE this; people are jUdging a spin-off anD not the actual main stOry line. in My honest Opinion we must wait before we Deduce something that has been planned from the very start...and why is the demiurge of threads getting involved if he so savagely made it clear that he does not like this topic its not worthy for his 2 cent logic that he picked up in school lol purely extraneous work if you ask me

dxsxhxcx
02-12-2012, 10:55 PM
ACB and ACR are the result of what happened in AC1/2, with the same main character (Desmond) and with events that'll affect the main story line in AC3 (lucy's death, Juno and Jupiter's messages, the apple, etc), I don't think they can be considered as spin offs when the events that happened in them have this kind of impact in the main story line... unless I'm misunderstanding the definition of spin off.. :P

mustash
02-12-2012, 10:57 PM
I agree but to my Perception i See it likE this; people are jUdging a spin-off anD not the actual main stOry line. in My honest Opinion we must wait before we Deduce something that has been planned from the very start...and why is the demiurge of threads getting involved if he so savagely made it clear that he does not like this topic its not worthy for his 2 cent logic that he picked up in school lol purely extraneous work if you ask me

Interesting perspective but whilst it's understood that AC:B and AC:R are spin offs of AC2, they are still FULL games that are critical to understanding where the story is going in each iteration. If you say, missed AC:B and AC:R and pick up AC3 you won't know anything about Juno, Jupiter, where the grand temple is, Lucy, 16, why Desmond is now in America, the significance of Altair and Ezio, etc. So by the measure of the significant story progression, they are full games and is in fact part of the main storyline, the overarching one. Most of the criticisms have been leveled at game length, how similar the games are to one another and gimmicks. Whilst the story is planned, I don't think it's controversial to say that they didn't think they'd be making Revelations at all and just sort of ended up making it because the higher ups demanded it. The story had been stretched thin to the point they had to put Desmond in a coma to delay the overarching plot moving forward too much for gods sake :D.

Acrimonious_Nin
02-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Interesting perspective but whilst it's understood that AC:B and AC:R are spin offs of AC2, they are still FULL games that are critical to understanding where the story is going in each iteration. If you say, missed AC:B and AC:R and pick up AC3 you won't know anything about Juno, Jupiter, where the grand temple is, Lucy, 16, why Desmond is now in America, the significance of Altair and Ezio, etc. So by the measure of the significant story progression, they are full games and is in fact part of the main storyline, the overarching one. Most of the criticisms have been leveled at game length, how similar the games are to one another and gimmicks. Whilst the story is planned, I don't think it's controversial to say that they didn't think they'd be making Revelations at all and just sort of ended up making it because the higher ups demanded it. The story had been stretched thin to the point they had to put Desmond in a coma to delay the overarching plot moving forward too much for gods sake :D.

exactly my point its small contributions but not great contributions, ac3 will be this great contribution(hopefully) and the game should be as entrancing as assassins creed 2 was...some people say assassins creed has this 'magic' too it well it is due to this fact(major game not spin-off)

dxsxhxcx
02-12-2012, 11:21 PM
without ACB they wouldn't know the location of the grand temple (Da Vinci DLC) and without ACR Desmond wouldn't know what to do (Jupiter message), how can this be considered "small contributions"?!

SolidSage
02-12-2012, 11:22 PM
No.

Really all I need to say.

Almost not worth the effort though.

Gil_217
02-12-2012, 11:29 PM
exactly my point its small contributions but not great contributions, ac3 will be this great contribution(hopefully) and the game should be as entrancing as assassins creed 2 was...some people say assassins creed has this 'magic' too it well it is due to this fact(major game not spin-off)

What the hell are you talking about?? Did you even play AC:B and AC:R?

- Grand Temple location
- Apple of Eden acquired
- Juno and Jupiter appearance's
- Lucy's death
- Subject 16 appearance
- William Miles introduced
- Continuation of Ezio's and Altair's story
- Desmond knowing his role

How are these small contributions??

Acrimonious_Nin
02-12-2012, 11:30 PM
without ACB they wouldn't know the location of the grand temple (Da Vinci DLC) and without ACR Desmond wouldn't know what to do (Jupiter message), how can this be considered "small contributions"?!
because if you compare how much assassins creed 2 had in it [altairs codex, s16's message, desmond story, ezio story,(not to mention all the side quests and missions that contribute to the story), and the spectacular cliff hanger] thats a big game. the other games just had the story lines of ezio and desmond being major(altair was too short to consider huge story line) and s16(with an exceptional assassins den gameplay that was also short) assassins creed 3 should be a clean slate...more space for big adventure for more missions if they so choose that road(of allot of side quests that is). i dont mean it did not contribute at all but it was too little to say it was the main line for a saga to make sense like wtf is the overall message in the story line the spin-offs are nothing more than bridges connecting land masses....

Gil_217
02-12-2012, 11:46 PM
because if you compare how much assassins creed 2 had in it [altairs codex, s16's message, desmond story, ezio story,(not to mention all the side quests and missions that contribute to the story), and the spectacular cliff hanger] thats a big game. the other games just had the story lines of ezio and desmond being major(altair was too short to consider huge story line) and s16(with an exceptional assassins den gameplay that was also short) assassins creed 3 should be a clean slate...more space for big adventure for more missions if they so choose that road(of allot of side quests that is). i dont mean it did not contribute at all but it was too little to say it was the main line for a saga to make sense like wtf is the overall message in the story line the spin-offs are nothing more than bridges connecting land masses....

I'm going to say it again, did you even play AC:B and AC:R?

- Grand Temple location
- Apple of Eden acquired
- Juno and Jupiter appearance's and revelations
- Lucy's death
- Subject 16 appearance

Acrimonious_Nin
02-13-2012, 12:00 AM
I'm going to say it again, did you even play AC:B and AC:R?

- Grand Temple location
- Apple of Eden acquired
- Juno and Jupiter appearance's and revelations
- Lucy's death
- Subject 16 appearance

well if you must repeat yourself to make yourself feel like you made a point then by all means doit ;) they are still spin-offs and thats the point lol not a major release btw it took 2 spin-offs to make just one point ;) while ac1 and ac2 did not ac:b and ac:r were saying the same thing, ac3 will be a full story(unless they make spin-offs of ac3 but. they said ac3 was the last game so i dont think so...)

dxsxhxcx
02-13-2012, 12:01 AM
it's not the lenght of the game or the number of features the game has that'll label it as a main game, is how much the events that'll happen in these games will affect the continuation of the story that'll label them as main games or spin offs and the information obtained in ACB and ACR are crucial for Desmond to achieve his final goal, so this is what make them main games and not spin offs..

twenty_glyphs
02-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Brotherhood and Revelations are judged as full series entries because that's how they were presented and marketed. It's not like Ubisoft said, "Don't expect too much from these games, they won't be up to the level of AC2 because we didn't have as much time to make them. So go easy on us please." They repeatedly passed the games off as full series entries and reassured everyone that they wouldn't suffer because of less development time. From a practical standpoint, I can go easy on them because I know the reality is that a game made in one year cannot be as big or refined as a game made in two years. But that doesn't mean that it hasn't affected the excitement I once had for the series.

Brotherhood and Revelations are the result of the success of AC2 and the attempt to capitalize on that success by management at Ubisoft. They were attempts to profit off the success of AC2 while stretching the current story out as much as they could. They almost succeeded in being great stopgaps between AC2 and AC3, but I still think they are right on the fine line between too much exposure and not enough.

JumpInTheFire13
02-13-2012, 02:03 AM
just to make it clear:

the next game WILL be the last so please stop the "i hope it will/won't" bla bla...

Coming from the guy with one post.

JumpInTheFire13
02-13-2012, 02:10 AM
They have confirmed AC after this storyarch to be without Desmond.

I'd love to read your source.

The13Doctors
02-13-2012, 05:02 AM
You can't revolutionize the gaming industry every single time!
AC1 was revolutionary to game mechanics, as was AC2, they were games that may go down in history should anyone eventually care to make a history book about games. Thing is, they can't have a revolutionary game each time. The industry already has everything that AC1 and AC2 introduced, what else? Think of it from Ubisoft's perspective, in this day and age everything has been made, how would YOU deal with it? How would you change the gaming industry forever at this point? The games haven't impacted as well as before, because it's now a part of the industry, it isn't revolutionary because it just can't be. It's just as good as before, they have everything we had before, and we have more things on top of that.

With AC1 changing the way changing the way AI act, how are you supposed to add to that?

You all are on Ubisoft's back for not being industry changing, okay you do it.

Come up with something industry changing, think of something and tell the idea, something that hasn't been done ever before in the industry.

Acrimonious_Nin
02-13-2012, 05:09 AM
AC1 was revolutionary to game mechanics, as was AC2, they were games that may go down in history should anyone eventually care to make a history book about games. Thing is, they can't have a revolutionary game each time. The industry already has everything that AC1 and AC2 introduced, what else? Think of it from Ubisoft's perspective, in this day and age everything has been made, how would YOU deal with it? How would you change the gaming industry forever at this point? The games haven't impacted as well as before, because it's now a part of the industry, it isn't revolutionary because it just can't be. It's just as good as before, they have everything we had before, and we have more things on top of that.

With AC1 changing the way changing the way AI act, how are you supposed to add to that?

Come up with something industry changing, think of something and tell the idea, something that hasn't been done ever before in the industry.
since when did we start psychoanalyzing industry? i don't think anyone here has that authority nor the credentials lol but i love your argument :D you've got the spirit

twenty_glyphs
02-13-2012, 05:55 AM

I'm not asking them to revolutionize the gaming industry with every Assassin's Creed game, and I doubt many other people are either. The only game I would consider revolutionary was the first one, but it was still rough around the edges. AC2 refined the gameplay and brought a freshness to it while crafting a great story in an engrossing historical period. It also had a lot of content and varied stuff to do, like The Truth puzzles and the Codex pages to find and read.

Meanwhile, Brotherhood and Revelations are running on the fumes of AC2. They have refined the gameplay somewhat and added some new features, but it still feels like I'm playing the same game over again, with less story progression (mainly Revelations), shorter stories, fewer cities to visit and less side content. The new features are getting bolted on to AC2's engine instead of built from the ground up to fit a new ancestor and time period.

I'm not asking them to revolutionize the gaming industry with each game, but I am asking for fresh gameplay and games closer to the length and scope of AC2 instead of Revelations.

The13Doctors
02-13-2012, 06:11 AM
I'm not asking them to revolutionize the gaming industry with every Assassin's Creed game, and I doubt many other people are either. The only game I would consider revolutionary was the first one, but it was still rough around the edges. AC2 refined the gameplay and brought a freshness to it while crafting a great story in an engrossing historical period. It also had a lot of content and varied stuff to do, like The Truth puzzles and the Codex pages to find and read.

Meanwhile, Brotherhood and Revelations are running on the fumes of AC2. They have refined the gameplay somewhat and added some new features, but it still feels like I'm playing the same game over again, with less story progression (mainly Revelations), shorter stories, fewer cities to visit and less side content. The new features are getting bolted on to AC2's engine instead of built from the ground up to fit a new ancestor and time period.

I'm not asking them to revolutionize the gaming industry with each game, but I am asking for fresh gameplay and games closer to the length and scope of AC2 instead of Revelations.

Thing is, that wouldn't be AC, if they do completely new gameplay after each game it'd be a new game, not AC. AC has the gameplay down perfectly, completely changing it would be a different game each time. That's what Bungie does, not everything.

AC has a specific gameplay for the series, if they changed it, it wouldn't be Assassin's Creed.

Noble6
02-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Thing is, that wouldn't be AC, if they do completely new gameplay after each game it'd be a new game, not AC. AC has the gameplay down perfectly, completely changing it would be a different game each time. That's what Bungie does, not everything.

AC has a specific gameplay for the series, if they changed it, it wouldn't be Assassin's Creed.

I certainly agree with twenty_glyphs. We need fresh gameplay mechanics, not small changes. Every main AC game should have changes that are at least as major as from ac1 to ac2. I wouldn't mind AC game from different genre because it would still be an AC GAME!. Many of the fans are just... too fans and are afraid of changes.

misterB2001
02-13-2012, 11:11 AM
I have no problem in Ubi bringing games like brotherhood and revelations out, so long as the numbered games (AC3, AC4 etc) are bigger and more diverse story wide. Rightly or wrongly I consider ACB & ACR to be good 'fillers' to tide me over til AC3 is released. As long as AC3 has had the proper development time then I'm happy with the way its going.

If this happens every 3 year then I don't see a problem.

AC2
Filler
Filler
AC3
Filler
Filler
AC4

The 'filler' games basically developing the story and adding multiplayer content.

The13Doctors
02-13-2012, 11:20 AM
I certainly agree with twenty_glyphs. We need fresh gameplay mechanics, not small changes. Every main AC game should have changes that are at least as major as from ac1 to ac2. I wouldn't mind AC game from different genre because it would still be an AC GAME!. Many of the fans are just... too fans and are afraid of changes.

I forgot to finish editing the post with this bit.

Then there's also the big thing of Ancestors. Each Ancestor has their specific style of gameplay (movement, fighting), and style of living (story development, style), we've had Ezio for 3 games because of his trilogy, so a lot of people are just tired of his style, people don't know (many haven't played AC1) and take it out on the series.

AC3 will bring people back because it will be a fresh start.

edzilla_551
02-13-2012, 01:03 PM
the reason why ac2 shined is because ac1 was that bad, does anyone agree?:cool:

Gil_217
02-13-2012, 01:36 PM
the reason why ac2 shined is because ac1 was that bad, does anyone agree?:cool:

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/7/73/JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg/618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

Wrong, just wrong.

FrankieSatt
02-13-2012, 02:51 PM
The game WILL BE OVER when Desmond's story is over. The game IS about Desmond and his Story. I know people will disagree and they can but in my opinion Desmond is the story line and everything else is part of it.

When Desmond is done, the game is done. No need to make any more AC games when Desmond finishes his story line.

I also think it needs to end with ACIII. This series has already been dragged out longer than it should have with crappy expensive DLC in packaging, Brotherhood and Revelations.

SixKeys
02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
The game WILL BE OVER when Desmond's story is over. The game IS about Desmond and his Story. I know people will disagree and they can but in my opinion Desmond is the story line and everything else is part of it.

When Desmond is done, the game is done. No need to make any more AC games when Desmond finishes his story line.

I also think it needs to end with ACIII. This series has already been dragged out longer than it should have with crappy expensive DLC in packaging, Brotherhood and Revelations.

Ubisoft says they could make 30 more AC games in they wanted. Even if/when Desmond's storyline ends in AC3, I have no doubt Ubisoft will start working on another entry in the franchise with a new protagonist ASAP. They will milk the franchise for all it's worth, it's their biggest cash cow. Desmond's story will end eventually, but it's naïve to think the AC franchise will stop entirely after his part is done.

The13Doctors
02-13-2012, 03:36 PM

http://emotibot.net/pix/4115.jpg

Noble6
02-13-2012, 08:39 PM
I forgot to finish editing the post with this bit.

Then there's also the big thing of Ancestors. Each Ancestor has their specific style of gameplay (movement, fighting), and style of living (story development, style), we've had Ezio for 3 games because of his trilogy, so a lot of people are just tired of his style, people don't know (many haven't played AC1) and take it out on the series.

AC3 will bring people back because it will be a fresh start.

True and if ac3 takes place in revolutionary French/ America there has to be some necessary changes to gameplay concerning using guns for example. I hope they have enough time to do and test new things.

FrankieSatt
02-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Ubisoft says they could make 30 more AC games in they wanted. Even if/when Desmond's storyline ends in AC3, I have no doubt Ubisoft will start working on another entry in the franchise with a new protagonist ASAP. They will milk the franchise for all it's worth, it's their biggest cash cow. Desmond's story will end eventually, but it's naïve to think the AC franchise will stop entirely after his part is done.

A new franchise, with a new animus with someone else new in the Animus? Maybe you can explain further how a new franchise would work for AC, I don't see it working.

After a while you beat the dead horse so much that it starts stinking to high heaven. That is what will happen with AC if they try to continue on after Desmond's story ends.

When Desmond finishes off the Templars, which I hope he does in ACIII, than they should end the series and let it rest as a great series instead of trying to keep going and going and giving the series a bad name by not knowing when to stop.

luckyto
02-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Good post, mustash.

Whether or not it dies is purely up to Ubisoft.

Personally, I will be much happier when we get away from the Desmond story and can do some one-off trips into the Animus exploring ancient history and other locales. I think that alone would help.

And get away from 1-year turnarounds that are destroying the quality of the games.

One LAST thing: This game is not "all about Desmond" or "all about the story." Hell, the first AC game, the story was hardly there -- interesting, but not what you call brilliant craftsmanship. This game is about free-roaming in historical places with awesome parkour skills and a small arsenal.

LightRey
02-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Good post, mustash.

Whether or not it dies is purely up to Ubisoft.

Personally, I will be much happier when we get away from the Desmond story and can do some one-off trips into the Animus exploring ancient history and other locales. I think that alone would help.

And get away from 1-year turnarounds that are destroying the quality of the games.

One LAST thing: This game is not "all about Desmond" or "all about the story." Hell, the first AC game, the story was hardly there -- interesting, but not what you call brilliant craftsmanship. This game is about free-roaming in historical places with awesome parkour skills and a small arsenal.

In your opinion.

luckyto
02-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Yes, in my opinion. And others. And critics. And just about everybody I talk to. Except of course a few hardcore fans who just can't wait a year.

Dieinthedark
02-13-2012, 11:21 PM
I think AC just needs to find it's identity. New things are added and that's very good but imo, the games need to find what their strength is. Here's what I mean. You've got

Combat
Story
Free running
Tower Defense
Assassin Recruiting
Attacking/Controlling other cities
Economic upgrades
Assassin upgrades (ammo, weapons, clothing etc)
Ancestor character
Desmond (present day character)
Timed Races
Faction challenges

Now, before I go on, let's make it very clear. I enjoy these features. There's more, bomb making, hidden locations etc...and I enjoy them, but what is the focus? That's the point I'm making (or trying to lol). With AC1 it was very simple, very straightforward. Now you start adding all these features to make something new. Well, okay that's great but are they serving a purpose other than being another number on a list of features? Are they contributing in some beneficial way?

Also, with the things mentioned, I couldn't really think of a new AC game coming out without these features (the economy things have pretty much become standard). But are there ways to make it more fun? More intuitive? Less menu navigation and more involving? Think about the whole pre-game lobby they're trying to do in RB6. You are in the game once you launch it. No menus at all. That could go a long ways imo...think about it. instead of pressing B or whatever to shop, you go to a first person perspective and you have to look at what you want to buy. You hold the weapon, look at it etc etc....you get my point. That may contribute to overall immersion a bit more.

What about stealth? AC to me is the old age SCC 2007 with less focus on social stealth. Sure, you can press A to blend, but do you really need to? Not really. Just go run up and hidden blade your target, or shoot him, or send your recruits to do it or throw a bomb, but stealth isn't pushed. Is that good? Is AC really a social stealth game or is the story/action combo or whatever else? Essentially:
WHAT IS AC?
What was it?
What is it now?
What should it be in the future?
Are they the same things?
Are there things that need to be changed to go from the past/present to the future? That's what I'm getting at.

Also, spacing out release dates would be good. And having less studios work on it because it seems to me that you could reason that the game could feel disjointed or piece-ey. Like you work on this, we'll work on this (x100 studios or whatever) and the original goal/purpose may become lost in the process.

Just my two cents.

LightRey
02-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Yes, in my opinion. And others. And critics. And just about everybody I talk to. Except of course a few hardcore fans who just can't wait a year.

Fantastic. Have fun in your biased little world then.

luckyto
02-13-2012, 11:28 PM
We will.

LightRey
02-13-2012, 11:42 PM
We will.

Great. I'll have fun in my biased world where everyone hates Halo: Reach, CoD and the Harry Potter movies.

luckyto
02-13-2012, 11:51 PM
You can knock COD any day of the week... but trashing Potter is just too much.

LightRey
02-13-2012, 11:52 PM
You can knock COD any day of the week... but trashing Potter is just too much.

Not trashing anything. It's just my opinion, which is shared by many, just like yours is. See my point?

RzaRecta357
02-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Oh GOD. He said Harry Potter and COD, not to boot Halo. My eyes BURN with the stench of mediocre garbage that sheep eat up. I think I need to go wash them with some Assassin's Creed Revelations. The Sultans family is written fantastic.

luckyto
02-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Not trashing anything. It's just my opinion, which is shared by many, just like yours is. See my point?

Yes, I saw that kind of circular logic coming from a 1000 miles away... we get "your point." I was alive in the 90's when that kind of trolling of people's opinions first surfaced on the BBBoards of ye olden days. It's a thread of people's opinions - a whole forum of opinions. That is assumed. And when someone posts their opinion, they don't need you to remind the world that it is, in fact... an opinion. That's just a 20 year old trolling tactic.

it's all opinion... so is the article surfacing about video game franchises which need a break ... and the dozens of posts by AC fans who agree.... The only fact is the abysmal score of ACR on MetaCritc ... which is still a measure of opinions. Or sales figures could be fact, but even that is subject to other inputs and variables, and hard to interpret. So yes, thank you Captain Obvious for pointing out that I posted an opinion on a message board. Shock.

LightRey
02-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Oh GOD. He said Harry Potter and COD, not to boot Halo. My eyes BURN with the stench of mediocre garbage that sheep eat up. I think I need to go wash them with some Assassin's Creed Revelations. The Sultans family is written fantastic.

And yet they are so popular. Though I am sure you'd have no problem finding people who share your views all around. am I right?

mustash
02-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Yes, I saw that kind of circular logic coming from a 1000 miles away... we get "your point." I was alive in the 90's when that kind of trolling of people's opinions first surfaced on the BBBoards of ye olden days. It's a thread of people's opinions - a whole forum of opinions. That is assumed. And when someone posts their opinion, they don't need you to remind the world that it is, in fact... an opinion. That's just a 20 year old trolling tactic.

it's all opinion... so is the article surfacing about video game franchises which need a break ... and the dozens of posts by AC fans who agree.... The only fact is the abysmal score of ACR on MetaCritc ... which is still a measure of opinions. Or sales figures could be fact, but even that is subject to other inputs and variables, and hard to interpret. So yes, thank you Captain Obvious for pointing out that I posted an opinion on a message board. Shock.

BBBoards? What is this magic you speak of? I respect Lightrey but he does seem to point out as often as he can that whatever we think are just opinions. But curiously, whether this is what i've read so far from him but it's only when the opinion is critical of the franchise or a game that he does his level best to let you know you are stating an opinion, never when it's in support. I'm sure he means well however.

I think that a consesus of opinion is incredibly useful to gage how well the games are doing, sites like Metacritic and so give us a good idea what proffesional reviewers and fan and non fans alike think of the games. This isn't directed at you, just speaking generally. I think gauging how well something sells is rediculous, otherwise Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber would be the greatest musicians of all time.....so yeah. How about dat Wii Fit, best game EVAR. ;)

Acrimonious_Nin
02-14-2012, 01:10 AM
bbboards are what forums used to be called in the 90's

luckyto
02-14-2012, 02:13 AM
BBBoards? What is this magic you speak of? I respect Lightrey but he does seem to point out as often as he can that whatever we think are just opinions. But curiously, whether this is what i've read so far from him but it's only when the opinion is critical of the franchise or a game that he does his level best to let you know you are stating an opinion, never when it's in support. I'm sure he means well however.

I think that a consesus of opinion is incredibly useful to gage how well the games are doing, sites like Metacritic and so give us a good idea what proffesional reviewers and fan and non fans alike think of the games. This isn't directed at you, just speaking generally. I think gauging how well something sells is rediculous, otherwise Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber would be the greatest musicians of all time.....so yeah. How about dat Wii Fit, best game EVAR. ;)

Yes, I agree with you on those points. I do believe sites like MetaCritic or Rotten Tomatoes give you a reasonably good gauge for consumer sentiment and production quality. It's just one gauge - but at least it is a conglomeration of multiple opinions from a fairly well-informed same group. But neither here nor there --- it is still just opinion; and I do not mean to derail your topic.

I personally will be happy to see the AC franchise to continue on indefinitely, but I would like to see them every 2-3 years with good DLC in between releases. And I will be really happy to see the Desmond story come to an end, so we can go back to some older historical periods. Maybe ancient Greece or Egypt. China. etc. One-off stories. I think that alone would help.

LightRey
02-14-2012, 05:05 PM

There is a problem with that. There is no real consensus. Just because a group of people will agree doesn't mean everyone agrees and, unlike me, most people don't like to join a discussion when their opinion differs from the people already taking part in the discussion, because usually they are met with hostility and unless they are joined by others who agree, but often are generally just as reluctant, they are outnumbered.

Luckyto, that is not circular reasoning. Circular reasoning is making a point and use it to explain itself. What I did was simply make a comparison. It could only be circular reasoning if you were to contest that the examples I mentioned are "doomed" as AC is suggested to be. But really, are you truly trying to argue that Halo: Reach, Call of Duty or the Harry Potter movies are "secretly" all "doomed"? It is not for nothing that all these series sell so well and because they are series of which all parts have been increasingly successful, it is obvious that their appreciation has not deminished significantly over the course of their release. Series don't just sell well because of "loyal fans" or the like. If that were the case over 90% of the consumers would have to be "loyal fans", which is a preposterous notion and even then there is the fact that the general trend with these things is that there is an increase in consumption with each title. "loyal fans" can't account for all of that, unless you are suggesting that a significant amount of them pay for it multiple times, but why would they do that if they disliked the latest release more than its predecessor(s)?

Another point I am trying to make is that people with a certain opinion will (once again unlike me) generally not look for, or even notice people who disagree with their views. Furthermore friends who disagree will try to avoid the subject or even act like they agree to avoid any conflict. Obviously reviewers will "agree", because they are generally critics, originalists and even if not they will still make an effort to point out anything they disliked, which anyone who agrees with said points will take notice of (once again more so than the other points). Then finally there's the fact that complainers are simply overrepresented. With anything that is even a little popular, especially on the internet, it's is extremely easy to find people, or even entire communities that have taken the time to complain about it. On top of that, contrary to when they dislike it, people generally don't go out of their way to show appreciation for something when they like it and even if they do do so, they often don't do it more than once, once again contrary to when they dislike it.

The point is (and this is directed to you as well, mustash2003), consensus of opinion is a terrible way to gage how well games are doing. It only works if a proper poll is done in which bias is eliminated as much as possible and game companies like Ubisoft spend a lot of time and effort in doing just that. You have to keep in mind that these companies want to keep making money and they want to make as much of it as possible, so especially when their revenue is largely dependent on the appreciation of a product, they tend to keep a very close eye on the general appreciation and they know exactly what the holes you guys keep falling in are. These things require thorough statistical analysis. You can't just gage these things on personal experience, especially if you already formed your own opinion and have not even considered doing an objective analysis of the available data. The mind is filled with holes to allow bias to sneak in. That's the way the mind works (and for good reason), but it is very harmful to coming to any objective conclusions that way. That is why there is such a thing as the Scientific Method.

LordWolv
02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
You're asking for it LightRey.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSFkJaVZB9mC6zvviET4M4-zu9_p4oQZbVCNDEZfeyejfjASTr84_WdLjM

LightRey
02-14-2012, 05:36 PM
You're asking for it LightRey.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSFkJaVZB9mC6zvviET4M4-zu9_p4oQZbVCNDEZfeyejfjASTr84_WdLjM

Well of course it's a cool story. After all I'm cool. :cool:

mustash
02-14-2012, 06:20 PM
There is a problem with that. There is no real consensus. Just because a group of people will agree doesn't mean everyone agrees and, unlike me, most people don't like to join a discussion when their opinion differs from the people already taking part in the discussion, because usually they are met with hostility and unless they are joined by others who agree, but often are generally just as reluctant, they are outnumbered.

Luckyto, that is not circular reasoning. Circular reasoning is making a point and use it to explain itself. What I did was simply make a comparison. It could only be circular reasoning if you were to contest that the examples I mentioned are "doomed" as AC is suggested to be. But really, are you truly trying to argue that Halo: Reach, Call of Duty or the Harry Potter movies are "secretly" all "doomed"? It is not for nothing that all these series sell so well and because they are series of which all parts have been increasingly successful, it is obvious that their appreciation has not deminished significantly over the course of their release. Series don't just sell well because of "loyal fans" or the like. If that were the case over 90% of the consumers would have to be "loyal fans", which is a preposterous notion and even then there is the fact that the general trend with these things is that there is an increase in consumption with each title. "loyal fans" can't account for all of that, unless you are suggesting that a significant amount of them pay for it multiple times, but why would they do that if they disliked the latest release more than its predecessor(s)?

Another point I am trying to make is that people with a certain opinion will (once again unlike me) generally not look for, or even notice people who disagree with their views. Furthermore friends who disagree will try to avoid the subject or even act like they agree to avoid any conflict. Obviously reviewers will "agree", because they are generally critics, originalists and even if not they will still make an effort to point out anything they disliked, which anyone who agrees with said points will take notice of (once again more so than the other points). Then finally there's the fact that complainers are simply overrepresented. With anything that is even a little popular, especially on the internet, it's is extremely easy to find people, or even entire communities that have taken the time to complain about it. On top of that, contrary to when they dislike it, people generally don't go out of their way to show appreciation for something when they like it and even if they do do so, they often don't do it more than once, once again contrary to when they dislike it.

The point is (and this is directed to you as well, mustash2003), consensus of opinion is a terrible way to gage how well games are doing. It only works if a proper poll is done in which bias is eliminated as much as possible and game companies like Ubisoft spend a lot of time and effort in doing just that. You have to keep in mind that these companies want to keep making money and they want to make as much of it as possible, so especially when their revenue is largely dependent on the appreciation of a product, they tend to keep a very close eye on the general appreciation and they know exactly what the holes you guys keep falling in are. These things require thorough statistical analysis. You can't just gage these things on personal experience, especially if you already formed your own opinion and have not even considered doing an objective analysis of the available data. The mind is filled with holes to allow bias to sneak in. That's the way the mind works (and for good reason), but it is very harmful to coming to any objective conclusions that way. That is why there is such a thing as the Scientific Method.

Here I agree, that statistical analysis is useful, I studied Graphic Design so I know how useful it is to gage markets when advertising, gauging how receptive certain markets are to particulars, etc. The problem here is that you try to disqualify personal opinion as a valid tool of asssement which is preposterous. How you say? You claim it's a terrible way to gage, to assess how well a game is doing....by what measure? If it's sales, you have to make the assumption that Ubisoft statistical analysis is primarily focused on money first and the games content, it's story, etc second. I find this a little hard to believe because it's a form of bias. Yes, the company is out to make money but they are also out to make a good game. So again, if you insist that the most respectable or credible way to gage a game is statiscally and not artistically then you enable games like COD.

Also it's strange you on the one hand say "they tend to keep a very close eye on the general appreciation (of a product)" and then say "You can't just gage these things on personal experience" which is how appreciation is expressed, especially when you factor in aggregate review sites and things akin to it. If you make the distinction that personal opinion alone isn't enough, I agree. But to disqualify it altogether is rediculous and quite frankly, you should know better. Why else do they poll us? What do you think they have social media sites for? THIS FORUM? Personal opinion or rather, an entire collection of personal opinions is essential, i'd say critical, to gage how well something is doing. Yes we are prone to bias, yes the scientic method is paramount to any quanitifyable data but please, stop with the insistance that personal opinion doesn't matter to Ubisoft, or games companies in general.

LightRey
02-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Here I agree, that statistical analysis is useful, I studied Graphic Design so I know how useful it is to gage markets when advertising, gauging how receptive certain markets are to particulars, etc. The problem here is that you try to disqualify personal opinion as a valid tool of asssement which is preposterous. How you say? You claim it's a terrible way to gage, to assess how well a game is doing....by what measure? If it's sales, you have to make the assumption that Ubisoft statistical analysis is primarily focused on money first and the games content, it's story, etc second. I find this a little hard to believe because it's a form of bias. Yes, the company is out to make money but they are also out to make a good game. So again, if you insist that the most respectable or credible way to gage a game is statiscally and not artistically then you enable games like COD.

Also it's strange you on the one hand say "they tend to keep a very close eye on the general appreciation (of a product)" and then say "You can't just gage these things on personal experience" which is how appreciation is expressed, especially when you factor in aggregate review sites and things akin to it. If you make the distinction that personal opinion alone isn't enough, I agree. But to disqualify it altogether is rediculous and quite frankly, you should know better. Why else do they poll us? What do you think they have social media sites for? THIS FORUM? Personal opinion or rather, an entire collection of personal opinions is essential, i'd say critical, to gage how well something is doing. Yes we are prone to bias, yes the scientic method is paramount to any quanitifyable data but please, stop with the insistance that personal opinion doesn't matter to Ubisoft, or games companies in general.

The problem is that one, or even a hundred or a thousand opinions are not an adequate gauge, especially if those opinions come from a biased sample. A single opinion is completely meaningless in statistical analysis without proper context and that is exactly what is lacking. You will always find more than enough complainers if something is popular enough. Furthermore, you cannot judge art for being "good" or bad based on the reasoning behind an opinion. "Good" art doesn't have an absolute definition. There is no standard, no set of "requirements", which "good" art has to meet. It's completely relative. Sure, one could argue that there are still (relatively) common aspects amongst pieces of art that are generally considered good, but those are exactly the kinds of aspects that are most reflected in things such as sales rates, because they are common. The fact of the matter is that some things that some people dislike, such as the challenge of the combat, is exactly the kind of thing that many others do like. Just because the reasoning behind an opinion can be completely sound doesn't mean they are a proper reasoning for claiming that a piece of art is "bad" or "lacking". You really need to compare it to the context in order to have it apply to the general appreciation of the artform and that is exactly what I'm arguing.

You are misinterpreting what I said. Game companies don't base their evaluation of the appreciation of their product(s) on personal experience. They do extensive analyses that go far beyond simply looking around the internet seeing what people say. These analyses are about making polls, having people fill out questionnaires and then applying statistical mathematics in order to properly analyze the collected data. There is a huge difference between polling a group and reading what people say. Taking a poll eliminates huge bias by asking for input instead of waiting for the subjects to give it themselves. Such things are enormously important. It is extremely significant even how the questions in a poll or questionnaire are formulated. Just think about the difference between "Do you think Assassin's Creed sucks?" and "What is your opinion on Assassin's Creed?". Both questions basically ask for the same answer, but the second is much more neutral than the first and neutrality is exactly what makes for a good poll. On top of that as you can see in the very title of this thread, neutrality is exactly the kind of thing you won't find in "naturally" occurring discussions and polls. That is because people generally try to express their own opinion in the very discussion they start. The title alone is enough to seriously contaminate the sample.

The point is, there are 2 sides to statistical analysis. One side is the sample, such as a series of opinions. The other is the context of the sample (which is at least as important as the other side). One is meaningless without the other.

SupremeCaptain
02-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Haven't been here in months, and just came back to see if there's any news about the future of AC after the disappointment ACR was.

Anyway, logged in to say I'm done with AC and I will not buy anything from Ubi again. I'm sick of their BS.

And no, it's not my loss, lol.

LightRey
02-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Haven't been here in months, and just came back to see if there's any news about the future of AC after the disappointment ACR was.

Anyway, logged in to say I'm done with AC and I will not buy anything from Ubi again. I'm sick of their BS.

And no, it's not my loss, lol.

Cool story bro.

SupremeCaptain
02-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Cool story bro.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff494/GlobalMasturbation/430-1.jpg

The13Doctors
02-14-2012, 10:36 PM
I stopped following this 6 pages ago when it became a contest of who could write the biggest responses while remaining on topic.

LightRey
02-14-2012, 10:38 PM
I stopped following this 6 pages ago when it became a contest of who could write the biggest responses while remaining on topic.

Actually, it wasn't my intention to write such long responses, but it seems my enthusiasm got the better of me.

The13Doctors
02-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Actually, it wasn't my intention to write such long responses, but it seems my enthusiasm got the better of me.

Haha I know, but not just you, the 3-4 of you kept on writing more and more, I could only keep up for 2 pages before my eyes starting hurting, yours were the shortest for about 4 pages.

LightRey
02-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Haha I know, but not just you, the 3-4 of you kept on writing more and more, I could only keep up for 2 pages before my eyes starting hurting, yours were the shortest for about 4 pages.

Yeah, I generally try to refrain from making too long posts, since people generally don't want to read them, but when I get too enthusiastic I just can't help it. I do tend to make sure the last few sentences sum up my main points, so they're often good to get the gist of the entire wall-o-text.

sameer_monier
02-14-2012, 11:18 PM
If Ubi is to be trust, then maybe AC3 will be the biggest in the series, after that let's give it a break, due that break Ubi can bring back Prince of Persia with whatever they learned from AC, improve upon it, and try to increase it's fan base, let's say that will take around 2 years, at that time the devs can take a rest, then think what to do to revoluzie the series again, and make another great AC instead of watering it down

mustash
02-15-2012, 02:56 AM
Yeah, I generally try to refrain from making too long posts, since people generally don't want to read them, but when I get too enthusiastic I just can't help it. I do tend to make sure the last few sentences sum up my main points, so they're often good to get the gist of the entire wall-o-text.

Perhaps we should take a que from reddit and add TL;DR to the end of our novels (Too long;Didn't read, essentially a summary for the lazy) ;)

LightRey
02-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Perhaps we should take a que from reddit and add TL;DR to the end of our novels (Too long;Didn't read, essentially a summary for the lazy) ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&amp;v=AZD-R6xVk3w

zStrictStyle
02-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Yes.POP 2008 was awesome and the story was great.But it`s been almost 4 years now with responce of a sequel.

zStrictStyle
02-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Don`t say that all POP dev team work for AC.The Forgotten Sands was released in mid 2010(While Brotherhood was being developed).

E-Zekiel
02-15-2012, 11:56 PM
hi im serious business cuz 2 me games r political topics and need ppl takin action and pundits tolking about eminemt doom.

pirate1802
02-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Maybe I'm in a minority here, but to me revelations was **** awesome. In every way it was an improvement over Brotherhood, the combat felt tougher (though no as tough as AC2) with the Janisseries (loved to fight em!). The city has been improved, graphics has been improved. The new secondary weapon layout is brilliant. The main story is great, characters are well-created (At one point i almost sympathized with Ahmet, during his final conversation with Ezio in the arsenal.) The assassin recruitment and training system has been improved, the Mediterranean defense minigame has been tweaked.. Maybe because i didn't go into this game expecting something brand new and groundbreaking, just a great AC saga.. is why i could enjoy it so much. My only complain is why didn't they include a sizable amount of side missions? Its a shame that you roam in such a beautiful city after finishing the main game with virtually nothing to do. They had supposedly 8 studios working on it... Is it to make way for some MP content? If so then I'll be mighty pissed. ...And mayabe they should have included more of Altair parts. Had they done those ACR would have been the best AC for me. ;)

zStrictStyle
02-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Maybe I'm in a minority here, but to me revelations was **** awesome. In every way it was an improvement over Brotherhood, the combat felt tougher (though no as tough as AC2) with the Janesseries (loved to fight em!). The city has been improved, graphics has been improved. The assassin recruitment and training system has been improved, the Mediterranean defense minigame has been tweaked.. Maybe because i didn't go into this game expecting something brand new and groundbreaking, just a great AC saga.. is why i could enjoy it so much. My only complain is why didn't they include a sizable amount of side missions? They had supposedly 8 studios working on it... Had they done that ACR would have been the best AC for me. ;)

Yes.I once thought that a few side missions and no Repressed Memories would be bad.But now play most of the game and I see how it changed a lot.The secret locations were awesome.Especially the Galata Tower.The Books was good enough to make see a wonderful view and The Master Assassin missions were amazing.It`s right they`re few,but they`re very wll made.

pirate1802
02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
I didn't like the secret locations of brotherhood at all. Revelation's were very good though. And the side missions were very good, no complains about that, its just that i dont have anything to do after finishing the main game. In brotherhood i still had tons of stuff to do after beating the game. Had they properly implemented the "random city event" thingys.. that would have filled the void :)

Lass4r
02-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Actually, they have said themselves that they would rather not release yearly games, but have to do it to make the end of the world schedule. But after AC3 they will be taking their time to go in a new direction, which probably means 2013 atleast will have no AC release.