PDA

View Full Version : Something Has Died Here.

MB_Avro_UK
02-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Hi all,

I miss the image of the Sturmovik at the top of the page.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

DKoor
02-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Not the only think I miss here... although nice, old forum was better, in fact old forum from golden days without need to login 1000 times was best.

People had more fun, we had more trolls etc.

DD_crash
02-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Not the only think I miss here... although nice, old forum was better, in fact old forum from golden days without need to login 1000 times was best.

People had more fun, we had more trolls etc.

1giant step backwards :(

Beirut
02-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Agreed.

This new forum makes me feel like I'm posting on a World of Warcraft site.

Can I get an Elf and an Orc for my Spitfire please?

DD_crash
02-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Adblock gets rid of the banner.

Bearcat99
02-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Hi all,
I miss the image of the Sturmovik at the top of the page.
Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

You got that right.

The old forum logo reminded us of why we were here..This new thing is ugly as h@ll, juvenile, hard on he eyes, and is a psychological disconnect from what we do .. There is nothing .. at least that I can see in that logo that has anything at all to do with IL2 .. not an airplane, not a star, not a prop .... NOTHING. I see cars, assassins, mercs,dancers, a guitar, a buck toothed rabbit,. and some other cartoon character .... that blue snot or whatever that ugly schmutz is behind everything, oh and of course the "Welcome to our forums.." greeting .. but nothing to even remotely think that adults who have spent literally thousands of dollars over the past decade on their chosen entertainment past time would come here. It looks like a site for gamer kids. Maybe someone who GAS or has some kind of input will at least redesign the logo to include this community... but I imagine that these boards that used to at one time carry more or as much traffic as just about all the other forums combined have since dwindled proportionally to the numbers nightly on HL.. so maybe we just aren't worth the attention. After all .. we are a "niche" community..

Crazy_Goanna
02-12-2012, 03:03 AM
we have been homogenised, I miss the old images and layout, although progress isn't always better

ytareh
02-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Yeah ,this new layout has NOTHING good about it whatsoever.

WTE_Galway
02-13-2012, 01:16 AM
I dunno the feral rabbit thingamee about to molest the skater chick is kinda cute

Treetop64
02-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Ever since this forum "upgrade" I have been considerably less inclined to visit. Not a knock on you guys at all, as you all have been a great bunch, but the whole flavor of this place has changed for the worse. Every time I come to this forum I feel as though I'm waking through the door of some wacked-out Disney flavored retail store. The banner is juvenile, and the blue snot is loathsome.

I've been posting more in the yellow forums and even at M4Today - places that I have frequently visited previously but only very rarely posted . The good days in this forum are now officially behind us.

Bearcat99
02-13-2012, 03:33 AM
Ever since this forum "upgrade" I have been considerably less inclined to visit. Not a knock on you guys at all, as you all have been a great bunch, but the whole flavor of this place has changed for the worse. Every time I come to this forum I feel as though I'm waking through the door of some wacked-out Disney flavored retail store. The banner is juvenile, and the blue snot is loathsome.
I've been posting more in the yellow forums and even at M4Today - places that I have frequently visited previously but only very rarely posted . The good days in this forum are now officially behind us.

I agree...

WTE_Galway
02-13-2012, 06:10 AM
Agreed. This new forum makes me feel like I'm posting on a World of Warcraft site. Can I get an Elf and an Orc for my Spitfire please?

Certainly. The significant contribution of the large contingent of young and cute elven lassies flying Spitfires for the RAF during Britain's darkest hours is under-rated and warrants far more attention than previously given.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/clannagh/elf-spit-1.jpg

Orcs, of course , flew for the Reich. They felt the Spitfire was too effeminate.

AndyJWest
02-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Galway, you should be ashamed of yourself. We don't need elven photoshoppery. :pReal Spitfire pilots were much better looking:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/Picture_Post_-_16_September_1942_-_Front_Cover_-_Air_Transport_Auxilliary_(ATA)_First_Officer_Maur een_Dunlop.jpg

Maureen Dunlop, ATA pilot.

Worf101
02-13-2012, 03:17 PM
I can't agree any more wholeheartedly. I hate this new forum, it's hard on the eyes, hard to read, impersonal as heck and I come a lot less often than I used to.

Worf

Luno13
02-14-2012, 12:06 AM
You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again.

http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120113.419/images/smilies/mad.pnghttp://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120113.419/images/smilies/mad.pnghttp://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120113.419/images/smilies/mad.png

Bearcat99
02-14-2012, 03:27 AM
This at least reminded us of what t was that brought us here. (http://il2-sturmovik.de.ubi.com/en/home.php?skin=S2)

Swivet
02-14-2012, 07:30 PM
New layout sucks.....that's the bottom line:mad:

Treetop64
02-14-2012, 09:38 PM
This at least reminded us of what t was that brought us here. (http://il2-sturmovik.de.ubi.com/en/home.php?skin=S2)

Banner animation is cool in a cheesy way, and I love the "English Cyrillic"! :)

WTE_Galway
02-15-2012, 01:17 AM
Galway, you should be ashamed of yourself. We don't need elven photoshoppery. :p

ah, you English types are just in denial about the effete girly nature of the Spitfire.

back on topic ...

One substantial improvement would be to have the mouse cursor changed to a set of Revi crosshairs allowing us to shoot the feral rabbit thingamee.

Tully__
02-15-2012, 01:39 AM
Restoring the forum themes is still on the "to do" list as far as I know. Other functional issues have a higher priority but bringing back game specific theming for all the sub forums (including banners) was definitely on the list.

Treetop64
02-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Tully, you strike me as someone who should be more than just a forum moderator for Ubi. :)

gothkrieger
02-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Very true, it does not have the same visual feel and that is too bad. Personally I am happy that there still is a forum here and I hope those who have come here in the past continue to do so, as their absence would be a loss to all.

Ba5tard5word
02-16-2012, 04:15 AM
Restoring the forum themes is still on the "to do" list as far as I know. Other functional issues have a higher priority but bringing back game specific theming for all the sub forums (including banners) was definitely on the list.

It's been over a month...I guess the Frenchies and Brits in charge of this place are on a Euro vacation again. If Americans were in charge of this site it would have been rehabbed 5 years ago...ok maybe not but we can dream.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CsNAB1sCKNg/TU_sHjwgo_I/AAAAAAAAHRw/IKEPEr6FO-8/s400/patton_flag.jpg

Doing these things would make this site a lot better, if anyone is paying attention:

- make the default text what is now 3 instead of 1. The current default is way too ****ing small, I'm "only" 32 and it makes MY eyes hurt badly trying to read this tiny crap, I can't imagine what the older folks here feel.
- take away the blue snot thing and put in some borders and backgrounds that look Il-2-ish
- make it so sticky topics in the topic list are more distinguishable from the normal everyday topics...it's too hard to figure out which is which and everything blurs together.
- put in some smilies that at least don't look all blurry and mushy. The old ones were classic.

In general I think some of the changes are great. I like the WYSIWYG thing and the better functionality of posting images and videos. But there are so many negative changes that they cancel the positive ones out and make this place more annoying to come to than it used to be. It would be nice if they could make logging in automatic like on 99.9% of other websites but I guess that is too much to ask of the French. I don't get how they could do it 4 years ago but not today.

MB_Avro_UK
02-16-2012, 11:44 PM
It's been over a month...I guess the Frenchies and Brits in charge of this place are on a Euro vacation again. If Americans were in charge of this site it would have been rehabbed 5 years ago...ok maybe not but we can dream.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CsNAB1sCKNg/TU_sHjwgo_I/AAAAAAAAHRw/IKEPEr6FO-8/s400/patton_flag.jpg

Doing these things would make this site a lot better, if anyone is paying attention:

- make the default text what is now 3 instead of 1. The current default is way too ****ing small, I'm "only" 32 and it makes MY eyes hurt badly trying to read this tiny crap, I can't imagine what the older folks here feel.
- take away the blue snot thing and put in some borders and backgrounds that look Il-2-ish
- make it so sticky topics in the topic list are more distinguishable from the normal everyday topics...it's too hard to figure out which is which and everything blurs together.
- put in some smilies that at least don't look all blurry and mushy. The old ones were classic.

In general I think some of the changes are great. I like the WYSIWYG thing and the better functionality of posting images and videos. But there are so many negative changes that they cancel the positive ones out and make this place more annoying to come to than it used to be. It would be nice if they could make logging in automatic like on 99.9% of other websites but I guess that is too much to ask of the French. I don't get how they could do it 4 years ago but not today.

Er...what have the Brits got to do with this?

And we live in an international IT world.

General Patton did not have a computer..... ;-)

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

WTE_Galway
02-17-2012, 12:12 AM
General Patton did not have a computer..... ;-)

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

The ' nam era M48 Patton Tank did though.

http://cdn5.wn.com/pd/9d/3c/62f7ac2c16be08d8ef83617ee9b7_grande.jpg

Apparently Turkey still has a whole batch of them operational.

Choctaw111
02-17-2012, 03:33 AM
I have been thinking about how great it would be for someone to start a brand new forum that is more like what we had here years ago.

Airmail109
02-17-2012, 05:13 AM
I have been thinking about how great it would be for someone to start a brand new forum that is more like what we had here years ago.

What like cwos? :D

Actually it could be a great idea if we moved and made a concerted effort to keep the community alive and kicking. We need some good old fashioned trolls back. Trollings not as fun here anymore because there aren't enough people, the ones you can troll and offend are people you actually like and don't want to piss off.

I tried to find other places for forum hilarity but it's not the same. Reddit is full of idiocy, singletrackworld...well they're idiots and the mods have chips on their shoulders, overclockers.co.uk......kind of low brow......the only good forrum is ARRSE (havn't had so many belly laughs in a long time, the dark humour is right up my street) but I'm not a squaddie so you have to walk a fine line so you don't get your head bashed in whilst being asked why a civvie is joining in.

EDIT: *&%$! my post counts nearly 10,000. whoa

MB_Avro_UK
02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Hi all,

Are we worth anything?

What are the sales of il2 1946?

Best Regards,
MB_Worthless.

Bearcat99
02-18-2012, 04:11 AM
That's good to know...

M2morris
02-19-2012, 01:25 AM
This no longer looks like the kind of site that a WW2 Aviation enthusiast would stop at and have a look around. I come here once in a while to lurk or catch some useful info about the game because I still fly it constantly online and off. I just thought I would add my opinion and say that this site looks creepy. No WW2 images on it at all? Thumb-down. :(

MB_Avro_UK
02-20-2012, 01:09 AM
This no longer looks like the kind of site that a WW2 Aviation enthusiast would stop at and have a look around. I come here once in a while to lurk or catch some useful info about the game because I still fly it constantly online and off. I just thought I would add my opinion and say that this site looks creepy. No WW2 images on it at all? Thumb-down. :(

Maybe ,maybe not...

WTE_Ibis
02-20-2012, 06:45 AM
It's a shocker, one of the worst I've seen for a flight sim. The old one kicked it senseless.

alert_1
02-21-2012, 12:37 AM
I'am DONE here, after 10 yrs...

DKoor
02-22-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm not done, I still am enjoying VINNI_PUH server, back to the roots essentially.

Actually funny thing, after all these years of glorifying the Soviet planes namely Lavochkins, these days one realizes that they are nothing special vs German contemporaries... in fact it is harder to survive in them then in FWs or Bfs.

Ironically game must become most balanced EVER these days with 4.11 yet not many old school gang remained to see it.

trumper
02-22-2012, 07:23 PM
:confused: What in gods name have they done to this place,it is awful.Nice to see familiar names but the venue is disgusting.

Bearcat99
02-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Tully, you strike me as someone who should be more than just a forum moderator for Ubi. :)

Tully is still Da Man around here.. I think he is the only one left from back in the day as far as mods go.

DKoor
02-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Tully is still Da Man around here...

+1 a great guy :) .

Treetop64
02-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Actually funny thing, after all these years of glorifying the Soviet planes namely Lavochkins, these days one realizes that they are nothing special vs German contemporaries... in fact it is harder to survive in them then in FWs or Bfs.

Ironically game must become most balanced EVER these days with 4.11 yet not many old school gang remained to see it.

For shur. Simply surviving for any length of time as a Soviet fighter pilot in Amagi's Disaster on the Frontiers campaign, even while flying the latest Soviet equipment during a given period, is a fantastic accomplishment. Fly as a German fighter pilot however, and until 1944 you'd practically have to do something stupid to get shot down, all while being handed meat on a silver platter. Makes for an interesting experience either way.