PDA

View Full Version : About the horrible mouse acceleration (mouse lag) in the Assassin's Creed games...

jeffr85
02-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Having spent years researching the issue of "mouse lag", as it is popularly known, I have noticed that the Assassin's Creed series on PC is particularly bad for it. Here I would like to present a very brief overview of why that is and can only hope that a developer sees this and really takes the idea that mouse lag is unacceptable to heart.

For those who are reading this looking for a solution to AC mouse lag: there isn't one. Use a gamepad (unacceptable, I know...) for the best experience but don't expect good response from mouse/keyboard because it won't happen.

Firstly, there are two main types of input lag: that caused by vsync being enabled, and that caused by mouse acceleration.

Vsync lag is caused by a small delay between the time of your mouse movement and your graphics card producing a synchronized frame to the monitor. You can usually solve vsync-based mouse lag by forcing vsync off in your game and in your display control panel. This is not the issue that Assassin's Creed games have, however.

Mouse acceleration lag is a whole different beast, and this is what is wrong with the mouse input in the Assassin's Creed games.

You see, because AC was made for consoles, its input and movement system is (very unfortunately) designed to be used with gamepads (which have things like analogue sticks, trigger błttons, etc. etc.). When preparing the game for the PC platform, therefore, a decision has to be made whether to simply use the existing input system or create a whole new one for a PC's mouse and keyboard.

Guess which one AC did? Yes, the poor mouse control in AC is because it is a console port. Mouse movement does not translate to joystick/analogue stick movement on a gamepad at all. The acceleration curve is huge - if you move the mouse a tiny bit, your character moves a tiny bit. Move it very fast (even over a tiny distance) and you'll go spinning. This is all because the game still thinks it's receiving input from a gamepad!

The CORRECT way to handle input on a PC-based game is to use raw input from the operating system. That is, a game should NOT impose its own custom acceleration and mouse movement should be entirely raw and natural (unless there is an excellent reason for doing otherwise, and even then there should be an option to use raw input only). I'd like to draw attention to Battlefield 3 which gives the user the wonderful option of "Use Raw Mouse Input" in the options screen - truly an advance in the right direction.

I don't know if any developers will read this but after a decade of the same issues, I am sick and tired of paying for games with terrible control because the devs were too lazy to use platform-appropriate input mechanisms.

Regards,

A gamer with high blood pressure

Bucur92
02-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Maybe you should post in this thread:
AC Revelations: Single player Bugs and Issues Thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/610363-AC-Revelations-Singleplayer-Bugs-and-Issues-Thread-PC-Do-Not-Post-Spoilers%21)

jeffr85
02-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Maybe you should post in this thread:
AC Revelations: Single player Bugs and Issues Thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/610363-AC-Revelations-Singleplayer-Bugs-and-Issues-Thread-PC-Do-Not-Post-Spoilers%21)

Ah, ok, thank you! To be honest my intention was to provide some info for users who might search the forums (or Google) for this issue. And to hope that some devs might see it and consider improving future titles by ensuring that PC input is dealt with properly. :)

Bucur92
02-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Unskippable credits in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/659019-Unskippable-credits-in-Assassin-s-Creed-Brotherhood-How-is-this-possibly-acceptable)You dont have to watch it let it roll and do something else instead go outside.....

jeffr85
02-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Unskippable credits in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/659019-Unskippable-credits-in-Assassin-s-Creed-Brotherhood-How-is-this-possibly-acceptable)You dont have to watch it let it roll and do something else instead go outside.....
I know, of course. But as I mentioned there, my graphics cards were taking hundreds of watts of power to render those credits and my PC is unusable for 18 minutes. As ludicrous as it may sound, that is a real waste of money and power. I posted that link in the Bugs thread too so we don't have to discuss it further - I just want future games to be better, that's all.

Bucur92
02-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I respect the guys working on the game.Maybe they have good intentions but they do as the boss says.The best example is annual instalment of AC games.They said it need at least a year of but then the boss step in sayng hell no.What Ubisoft needs is people who actualy cares about fans opinion and respect them not like the curent ones.

spectatorx
02-09-2012, 09:22 AM
@Bucur92, do you work in ubisoft or what? I'm reading your posts since yesterday and you are glorifying and defending them only... wtf?! Do not defend corporations, they already have our money and that's all what they want.

About mouse acceleration.. Unfortunately it is so common in nowadays games, last game which had no mouse acceleration if i remember well was hard reset. BTW, it is nice polish shooter, worth of try ;-) Especially when it has a demo!

kalo.yanis
02-09-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't find it to be a huge problem, to be honest. It's barely noticeable, if at all.

AndersAuditore
02-19-2012, 11:01 AM
@Bucur92, do you work in ubisoft or what? I'm reading your posts since yesterday and you are glorifying and defending them only... wtf?! Do not defend corporations, they already have our money and that's all what they want.

About mouse acceleration.. Unfortunately it is so common in nowadays games, last game which had no mouse acceleration if i remember well was hard reset. BTW, it is nice polish shooter, worth of try ;-) Especially when it has a demo!

That about Ubisoft is so true. I've started calling them Ubi-Suck because they barely listen to fans...

paradonym
07-20-2014, 10:45 PM
I know this post is old, but:
At AC3 and AC4 I have an extreme mouse lag with my Roccat Kone XTD... Especially in fight-szenes the input system freezes, so my character is running straigt through the mass instead of activating the fight-actions.
So the game freezes every few seconds for 1 or 2 seconds most time in fight, which causes (some kind of funny) game characters running around enemies instead of fighting them.
And because of this, lockpicking is completely impossible. When the input system freezes while a mouse movement, then the movement will be constantly for 1-3 seconds...

A driver problem isn't the problem because the mouse clicks and movements are recognized as they should be (I checked that with a self-made program)

hayrettin123
11-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Open AC Syndicate and go to Task Manager , change ACS.exe priority settings to NORMAL... Problem Solved.