PDA

View Full Version : A Ninja Assassin's Creed Would Totally Work

tjbyrum1
02-06-2012, 04:13 AM
I was one of those people who was like "Ninja's are overused; Ninja's should not be in Assassin's Creed; Ninja's are not cool".

But I played Shogun: Total War and put to work my Ninja's; I could order them to assassinate military generals, Shinobi, Emissaries, among others. Little cut scenes would play, and it would show the Ninja performing stealthy infiltration, silent killing, quick assassination, and evasive escape.

I also read a Wikipedia page on Ninja's in general.

I have to say - Assassin's Creed in Feudal Japan as a Ninja would DEFINITELY work.

B_Crispino
02-06-2012, 05:39 AM
the thing is that there are so many ninja games that ubisoft wouldnt be inovating by making a ninja assassin (pleonasm?). besides, ninjas were mercenaries in service of shoguns or daimyos, they served those in power, they didnt kill them. i mean, unless they were told to.

tarrero
02-06-2012, 06:46 AM
I understand that "ninjas" would fit in terms of stealth and fighting skills, but the fact is that what have made AC Franchise so unique is how original their setting are, and well, ninjas and feudal wars are overused, just like the old west.

Legendz54
02-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Making ninjas would ruin everything assassins creed is about, judging by ezio and altairs bloodlines it wouldn't make sense to have a Japanese assassin there are so many better places they could have it. It just irritates me when so many people are trying to force ninjas into an assassins creed game it just doesn't work...

LordWolv
02-06-2012, 07:43 AM
It would work, yes, but that time period is overused.
Assassin's Creed needs to take on a time period that people don't know much about, so that people will actually learn. They did that in the Renaissance and the Crusades, sure people have heard of them, but a lot of people aren't very knowledgeable. I think it's important Ubi do this again.

GRCrusader
11-03-2013, 09:21 AM
I think it all depends on the presentation and delivery, just like with most stories and films. People may know stuff about Japan, Samurai and Ninjas in general, but really there isn't a whole lot that are actual knowledge but suppositions and myths made to be as facts. For instance, there is no true indicator that ninjas wore all black garb. They could disguise themselves as certain types of monks and other things. It isn't "impossible" per se that they wore black at least sometimes but that, like the ninjas are supposed to be, is shrouded in mystery. Even the Japanese themselves aren't that much more knowledgeable about what Ninjas were like. It was part of their niche to have utmost secrecy and their secrets remained as such.

I do believe that foreigners shouldn't make the game, native Japanese should make the game or at least have a heavy hand in its making in order to give justice to the spirit of old Japan. But since it is, at its core, a game, it should take proper freedoms to make the game interesting, hasn't it already done so with all its games so far? It's not meant to be a historical teaching tool, although it can be used as such in certain ways if it's accurate enough, like how the Total War series of games pride themselves in historical accuracy. But those are not meant to be work of fiction, not to the extent AC is anyway.

I've read some Japanese guys saying that foreigners make some weird ninja games. Right back at them I would say, it's not like their versions are better in terms of realism or non-weirdness.

To me, ninjas are THE epitome of assassins, scouts and saboteurs of pre-industrialized Japan and were even in use during its infancy there, even if my image of them is flawed. It would be a shame to let that go to waste. Therefore I think that if Ubi were to take Assassin's Creed into the land of Bushido, where Samurai, warrior monks/nuns and of course ninjas reside, there could be lots to discover and enjoy.

So what if Japan at that time didn't have tall buildings? Is Assassin's Creed supposed to be all about high-altitude travel and combat reminiscent of Spider-man (sans the killing)? No it's not, it's about trying to stay unseen and use gadgets to distract enemies or incapacitate them and then go in for the kill and more. For crying out loud; Black Flag will deviate clearly from established patterns but not completely and it looks like it will still work handsomely.

There are other aspects one can implement in a Japanese oriented AC. Like using grappling hooks, palm-claws( or whatever they are really called) to climb flat walls, using shadows and darkness to a greater extent that before. More nimble ways of getting about and new ways of evasion, there are lots of aspect once you take a closer look.

We still have mercenaries and thieves (yakuza) and Geisha to use as various hired allies like in previous games. You can get yourself hired by different daimyos only to later become their target for working with rival daimyos and thus you are under various levels of suspicion/alert depending on where you are in Japan.

There was an example of fellow assassins from distant lands, Asian lands included, shown in AC II, Japan wasn't one of them but that doesn't mean that the Creed didn't reach Japan and got introduced to at least a small faction of ninjas or something. The player character doesn't have to be a native Japanese ninja for all I care, but he or she must learn their arts of course. Ezio wasn't a native to Constantinople and yet he still was their mentor and a prominent player in the Mediterranean. Of course the player wouldn't be like that in this game but my point is that the game can be approached from just about any angle if done with care, intrigue and enthusiasm.

"And what of the Templars?" You may ask. Well, there were European people, mainly preachers and weapons dealers, that came to Japan to make trade and preach about Christianity around the shift into 17th century. The Templars would like to spread their influence, as always, and find anything of value to them anywhere. I have no idea if a piece of Eden or something else will be the ultimate goal to reach, that's up to the writers. But Japan has enough beauty, mystery and a grand legacy to work from, I have no doubt one can come up with something.

How would their influence spread? The Templars have worked under the guise of being a Christian military force before. So under the guise of Christian preachers they try to influence Daimyos to suit their needs. One of the Assassins' goals would be to preserve the people's right to freedom and chose for themselves and not to follow a banner of falsehood, which would require of them to limit the spread of Christianity as a result, aiding in the historical failure to spread Christianity to Japan as a result. Another way to put flies in the Templars' ointment would be to work at reducing the import of matchlocks and related weaponry and tools. This to allow the country of Japan to evolve on their own, and not on the Templar's whim.

I think I've said enough for now, even though I have a few thoughts and opinions more.

Black_Widow9
11-04-2013, 04:12 AM
Please post this here:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/758424