PDA

View Full Version : the historical most incorect part of ac

lothario-da-be
02-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Did anybody ever saw a guard with a shield?i maybe saw 10 shields maximum,and they were on the wall to climb. isnt this a bit stupid ezio and altair together lived over 150 years and they never saw a shield. ah now i remember 1 enemy,the crusader,but his shield was on his back

LightRey
02-05-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure how commonly shields were actually used, so I can't say whether it's inaccurate. It does seem strange though.

lothario-da-be
02-05-2012, 01:48 PM
in the crusades 1/8 at least should have a shield from the christians the muslims something like 1/15 . in the Italien renaisance maybe 1/20 and the byzantines between 1/10 and 1/15 the ottomans used much shields for theire basic inf. Janisairis not. so you could say they missed something

LordWolv
02-05-2012, 02:29 PM
You know what.. I hadn't even noticed this. but it's so true.

kriegerdesgottes
02-05-2012, 03:12 PM
I can't imagine a couple random guards walking around the streets with a shield on. I would think they would only be used during battle being that they are clunky and probably a pain to carry around. And I would say it's not anywhere near as ridiculous as vendors in Constantinople or even Rome for that matter selling parachutes in the early 16th century being that they weren't officially invented or marketed until the late 18th century.

Noble6
02-05-2012, 03:24 PM
I can't imagine a couple random guards walking around the streets with a shield on. I would think they would only be used during battle being that they are clunky and probably a pain to carry around. And I would say it's not anywhere near as ridiculous as vendors in Constantinople or even Rome for that matter selling parachutes in the early 16th century being that they weren't officially invented or marketed until the late 18th century.
Parachutes are bit ridiculous but I don't think shops sold them as parachutes. Ezio just showed what to make and they made it. As for the shields, I think shields were left out for gameplay reasons thought I would have liked to see some.

LightRey
02-05-2012, 04:11 PM

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure many if not most of the guards in AC1 were actually soldiers.

LordWolv
02-05-2012, 04:13 PM
they are clunky and probably a pain to carry around
And a 20KG war hammer, spear and/or armour isn't? I think a guard would rather have one than none, they would save lives.

LightRey
02-05-2012, 04:20 PM
And a 20KG war hammer, spear and/or armour isn't? I think a guard would rather have one than none, they would save lives.

They didn't carry those around in AC1 and I don't think shields were that popular amongst city guards.

LordWolv
02-05-2012, 04:24 PM
They didn't carry those around in AC1 and I don't think shields were that popular amongst city guards.
Popular or not, I can guarantee they existed in both time periods, so historically we should have seen some.

LightRey
02-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Popular or not, I can guarantee they existed in both time periods, so historically we should have seen some.

Well, yes, but one could say the same thing about a number of other things. The question is whether they were common enough to actually consider.

AntiChrist7
02-05-2012, 04:45 PM
yeah, combat would be a lot harder if your opponent had a shield. And like already said, they probably mostly used them during battles.

JumpInTheFire13
02-05-2012, 11:43 PM
I was just thinking about this earlier today, but I came to the same conclusion as somebody else on here: they were probably only used in battle.

naran6142
02-06-2012, 12:24 AM
well brutes wear loads of armor for no reason. So i would imagine that they weren't included because of gameplay reasons, if a guard is holding one then they would have to use it in combat

DinoSteve1
02-06-2012, 01:29 AM
well tbf I doubt they had a flame thrower made of wood the threw Greek fire in those times either

LightRey
02-06-2012, 01:52 AM
well tbf I doubt they had a flame thrower made of wood the threw Greek fire in those times either

Those flamethrowers were Greek Fire. You don't "throw" Greek Fire. Greek Fire is a reference to the weapon, not some form of "ballistic fire". It is not entirely sure how the weapon worked, but it did involve something along the lines of flaming liquid projectiles.

Azula2005
02-06-2012, 02:23 AM
We have riot shields these days and they help. Also they had shields in the 1500's the gunman would put a big metal square shield in front of them fire and take cover to re load and fire again.

shields have always been used man.

kriegerdesgottes
02-06-2012, 04:17 AM
We have riot shields these days and they help. Also they had shields in the 1500's the gunman would put a big metal square shield in front of them fire and take cover to re load and fire again.

shields have always been used man.

Yeah but you don't see cops walking around paroling the streets with shields because that would be impractical and ridiculous. But you will see them when there is a riot or in ancient times, a battle/war.

LordWolv
02-06-2012, 06:29 AM
The flame thrower was materially possible in that time period, just nobody thought to make it.

LightRey
02-06-2012, 12:23 PM
The flame thrower was materially possible in that time period, just nobody thought to make it.

Well apparently a few people did, because Greek fire did exist and it seems to have been something flamethrower-like.

LordWolv
02-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Well apparently a few people did, because Greek fire did exist and it seems to have been something flamethrower-like.
Ah, interesting..

DinoSteve1
02-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Those flamethrowers were Greek Fire. You don't "throw" Greek Fire. Greek Fire is a reference to the weapon, not some form of "ballistic fire". It is not entirely sure how the weapon worked, but it did involve something along the lines of flaming liquid projectiles.

I think you will find that "Greek Fire" means the actual mixture that made up the fuel for the fire and after doing a bit of research they did have flamethrowers that threw it but that was not the only way it was used, there were also small petrol bomb like things people could throw

Voltige2011
02-07-2012, 02:49 AM
I've seen countless guards walking around with spears, full body armor, and crossbows(expensive), but never once have I seen a guard with a shield. Vienna and Arsuf were technically military battles weren't they? Why did neither side have at least one person with a shield?
More importantly why did Cesare wear every bit of metal he had, except a helmet?

Acrimonious_Nin
02-07-2012, 03:07 AM
why did Cesare wear every bit of metal he had, except a helmet?
because he was cesare no man could kill him...but ezio's wise crack attitude to let gravity doit...and plus with hair like that , i mean do you want helmet hair?

JumpInTheFire13
02-07-2012, 05:54 AM
and plus with hair like that , i mean do you want helmet hair? Hahaha made my day

Acrimonious_Nin
02-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Hahaha made my day
:D

SteelCity999
02-07-2012, 11:43 PM
The Janissary corps are not correct for what I have read in a few books - the illustrations I have seen have no armor and plumes of feathers coming from their turban. I think they generally take some artistic license with everything and add or delete stuff to fit their needs. Adding shields would've required some extra programming I'm sure so that's why we don't see them. Legitimately if guards had shields you could disarm them and then use them yourself - kind of like Drake in Uncharted with the riot shields.

JumpInTheFire13
02-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Shields don't seem like a very Assassin-like tool

E-Zekiel
02-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Shields were primarily used in warfare. An assassin running around the city assassinating is not warfare. Nor are guards and soldiers inherently the same thing.

ElTORO713
02-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Yeah anyways why would you carry a shield around it makes you stand out the thing is not to get seen than be a huge target carrying a shield

JumpInTheFire13
02-08-2012, 03:21 AM
They wouldn't carry it around with them, just use it in a fight. But since Assassins are supposed be highly skilled and efficient fighters, a shield shouldn't be used by them. Which is what I said in my previous post.

masterfenix2009
02-08-2012, 05:56 AM
*sits back and wonders why no one thinks it is for gameplay reasons*

Acrimonious_Nin
02-08-2012, 11:24 PM
*sits back and wonders why no one thinks it is for gameplay reasons*
it would be cool to have a shield in multiplayer to fend off those FRIGGIN KNIFE THROWERS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! yeah lol