PDA

View Full Version : What got you first hooked on to the AC franchise?*potential spoilers*

kenshijr
02-02-2012, 06:35 AM
What got me hooked was the first game Assassins Creed. I was overseas in the military in Japan and i had 2 roommates. One of my roommates had an Xbox. In the military when your off duty, you have alot of free time, it can be fun and very boring also. So bunch of guys had Tvs, all sorts of consoles and all. Well i saw my roomate playing Assassins Creed, I was like "wow, what is that, thats awesome."

So when my roommate wasnt around i'd be playing his xbox, so I started playing AC. What really captivated me other than the idea that your living in the 21st century and you could revisit your Ancestor's DNA, was the story's setting, the 1100s, the crusades. Ive never thought how exciting and awesome it is to play a game that has to do with Ancient times. I was use to modern time games.

Well the more I played it and paid attention to the dialogue and story, the more i loved it. I even had a friend at the time who didnt play video games at all and he said thats one video game he would play. So that had to be something right? Well i wanted to beat the game before my roommate did, i wanted to know the ending. And I did, and it was MIND BLOWING!!!:cool: So i knew after seeing that, there had to be another installment coming out. Just had to be!!

When I heard the second one was coming out, i was like "wow they did bring a 2nd one out" but i wasnt in a rush to get it, of course at that time i didnt knew the potential that AC carries as it does now. So it wasnt a big deal to me, but my brother and I agreed to attend Black Friday for the 1st time(exciting, crazy experience) it was a week after the game had been released. he got himself a PS3 and AC2 with other games, so since he got it, i knew i had to play it. And once again i was in Awe. Wow amazing. And have kept up with the franchise since then and its my all time favorite franchise too!!

So yea i would like to hear your stories of how the "addiction" or "love" for Assassin's Creed started.

Lonesoldier2012
02-02-2012, 06:56 AM
I picked up a used 360 2 years ago. i picked up Halo 3 and Assassins Creed. [not knowing what Ac was] i played Halo with my bro all day then the next morning i decided to check Ac out. i played that all day and until i beat it. been hooked ever since.

JumpInTheFire13
02-02-2012, 07:03 AM
I was never into this kind of game when I was younger. I always played racing games. Then one day I randomly bought Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. It instantly became my favourite game and it caused me to check out more action adventure games. I had heard about Assassin's Creed, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. I remember reading part of the plot section and not having a clue how to pronounce any of the names. Then I bought it and thought it was a great game, until Uncharted 2 came out. Eventually I picked up the original AC again and finished it. I spent so much time just looking at the symbols at the Abstergo building in eagle vision and was super curious about what the next game would be about. I also remember watching the Cesare trailer for Brotherhood before playing AC2, wondering who the **** this "Ezio" guy was. And then finally I played AC2, and basically ever since playing that game AC has been my favourite game franchise. Aaaand that's basically my life story hahaha

LordWolv
02-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Isaac walks into game rent shop, Isaac picks up Assassin's Creed II, Isaac goes 'meh, might be good', Isaac walks home, Isaac plays for five minutes, ISAAC IS HOOKED!

kenshijr
02-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Isaac walks into game rent shop, Isaac picks up Assassin's Creed II, Isaac goes 'meh, might be good', Isaac walks home, Isaac plays for five minutes, ISAAC IS HOOKED!

funny, i like that simple and short

kenshijr
02-02-2012, 07:14 AM
I was never into this kind of game when I was younger. I always played racing games. Then one day I randomly bought Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. It instantly became my favourite game and it caused me to check out more action adventure games. I had heard about Assassin's Creed, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. I remember reading part of the plot section and not having a clue how to pronounce any of the names. Then I bought it and thought it was a great game, until Uncharted 2 came out. Eventually I picked up the original AC again and finished it. I spent so much time just looking at the symbols at the Abstergo building in eagle vision and was super curious about what the next game would be about. I also remember watching the Cesare trailer for Brotherhood before playing AC2, wondering who the **** this "Ezio" guy was. And then finally I played AC2, and basically ever since playing that game AC has been my favourite game franchise. Aaaand that's basically my life story hahaha

haha nice, yea its been my favorite franchice as well. Love your sig btw awesome

Kaxen6
02-02-2012, 07:23 AM
A guy I watched on deviantart mentioned how there was this cool new character who is an assassin and totally more awesome than the stupid ninjas in Naruto so I checked it out, found out about Assassin's Creed. I got hooked before the game even came out. Well, I also played part of the first game before it came out because I was invited to the Secret Assembly (http://youtu.be/Zegu_ZB6T_g) (watch me sound like a total dork and make funny faces while gaming).

kenshijr
02-02-2012, 07:32 AM
A guy I watched on deviantart mentioned how there was this cool new character who is an assassin and totally more awesome than the stupid ninjas in Naruto so I checked it out, found out about Assassin's Creed. I got hooked before the game even came out. Well, I also played part of the first game before it came out because I was invited to the Secret Assembly (http://youtu.be/Zegu_ZB6T_g) (watch me sound like a total dork and make funny faces while gaming).

awesome, very awesome thank you for sharing that with us;). So how did you get selected for that? if you dont mind me asking, its the first time i hear of something like that

Kaxen6
02-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Some of the others at the Secret Assembly got there through contests and stuff. I was initially bummed that I didn't win the contest to go, but then they e-mailed me and just invited me to come.

odovoro
02-02-2012, 07:59 AM
i got hooked since AC 1
when i just wanted the game i had no idea
i had no idea i will be in such an awe from playing the first few minutes
been a fan ever since :D

kenshijr
02-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Some of the others at the Secret Assembly got there through contests and stuff. I was initially bummed that I didn't win the contest to go, but then they e-mailed me and just invited me to come.

Nice, how long were you there to experience the game?

raging8762
02-02-2012, 08:19 AM
AC1 was one of the first games I bought with my PS3. Loved every bit of it so I automatically became a huge fan.

Kaxen6
02-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Nice, how long were you there to experience the game?

We were allowed to play three or four hours (I spent the majority of it getting miserably lost and saving hapless women with a short moment to demand Patrice Desilets to explain why we can't throw money at poor people.). We could go to Jerusalem or Acre, but Damascus was reserved for a later press release or something or other. The Secret Assembly also included hanging out with Ubi employees (Ubisoft paid for very good food, the hotel was also pretty fancy, but I almost rolled off the bed in excitement), asking them a ton of questions and stuff minus about the secret-at-the-time "futuristic twist stuff."

LightRey
02-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Every Christmas my old high school had a special charity event that was organized by a specific grade. People could buy snacks, Christmas cards or even roses for each other, that would be brought during class (great for avoiding having to do any work). There was also one classroom that would be reserved for playing games either during breaks or during free periods. That's where I first saw AC1 "in action". A few weeks later I figured I should buy it, so I did and I loved it.

kenshijr
02-02-2012, 02:05 PM
We were allowed to play three or four hours (I spent the majority of it getting miserably lost and saving hapless women with a short moment to demand Patrice Desilets to explain why we can't throw money at poor people.). We could go to Jerusalem or Acre, but Damascus was reserved for a later press release or something or other. The Secret Assembly also included hanging out with Ubi employees (Ubisoft paid for very good food, the hotel was also pretty fancy, but I almost rolled off the bed in excitement), asking them a ton of questions and stuff minus about the secret-at-the-time "futuristic twist stuff."

That must have been an awesome experience, once again thanks for sharing.

Every Christmas my old high school had a special charity event that was organized by a specific grade. People could buy snacks, Christmas cards or even roses for each other, that would be brought during class (great for avoiding having to do any work). There was also one classroom that would be reserved for playing games either during breaks or during free periods. That's where I first saw AC1 "in action". A few weeks later I figured I should buy it, so I did and I loved it.

what you got to play games at a school? Well i know my old high school they had after school programs and they had game consoles out, so back then i was big on smash bros. we had small tournaments there.

LightRey
02-02-2012, 03:01 PM
what you got to play games at a school? Well i know my old high school they had after school programs and they had game consoles out, so back then i was big on smash bros. we had small tournaments there.
Only during the week before Christmas break. People would lend their consoles and some games to the "games commission", who would set them up in one of the classrooms. There was usually also a Halo tournament on the final day.

itsamea-mario
02-02-2012, 03:17 PM
The teardrop tv commercial of AC1.

I liked the idea of a skilful Arabic warrior during the crusades.

And I had no friggin idea what was going on when Desmond woke up in the animus.

zerocooll21
02-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Since AC1 right when Vidic explained how memories of ancestors were locked in your DNA. Thought that was very slick :D Also a big fan of how they painted religions and their connections with TWCB.

jpledge
02-02-2012, 04:09 PM
I bought Ac for my PC about 5 years ago,well safe to say my old laptop couldnt handle it so i went straight out to buy an xbox and the rest is history.

GLHS
02-02-2012, 05:18 PM
AC1 was one of the first games I bought with my PS3. Loved every bit of it so I automatically became a huge fan.

This is almost exactly what I was gonna say! Me too lol. It was like the second game I ever got for the PS3 since it was such an early title. I remember seeing different things about it on like G4 and stuff and it looked so awesome. So when it finally came out, I went and rented it for like 3 weeks in a row lol. I absolutely loved it. I even did a Templar and flag hunt in it to get them all even though there is not trophy for it on the PS3. Just to get extra play time with it. I was so super excited for AC2, but even with loving the first game so much, it really wasn't until the second game that I started becoming obsessed. The story developed so much with the second game and that is really where AC started to blossom. God of War had always been my favorite franchise, but in the past year and a half or since I've really been doing a lot research and stuff on AC, I've fallen in love with it all over again. It has surpassed even my love for Kratos. I think GoW will always be more nostalgic for me, but when it comes to my immersion with the characters and the world, AC definitely is more deep and takes the cake.

kriegerdesgottes
02-02-2012, 05:19 PM
It must have been right after E3 of 2006 because Ubisoft had just released their first CG trailer for the game and IGN had a little shot of the eagle on their page and I remember thinking it looked interesting and I opened the link and watched the first trailer for AC1 and mind you, this was before anyone knew that the whole modern day stuff even existed. As soon as I saw it I was in love and I remember just waiting and waiting and the game kept getting delayed and it was the first game that I pre-ordered because I heard that they recreated the cities as they were in 1191 which really sealed the deal for me and I was totally psyched. I was not disappointed either because imo the game was incredible also slightly flawed.

luckyto
02-02-2012, 05:32 PM
I was never into this kind of game when I was younger. I always played racing games. Then one day I randomly bought Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. It instantly became my favourite game and it caused me to check out more action adventure games.

Uncharted is a great series.

I first got my PS3 a few years ago and a new 50" Plasma at the same time, and I was looking for a couple of titles to take home with it. I pretty much bought the thing to get God of War 3... but I do like free roam type games, and Action Adventure. Always did. Going back to the early early ones. I had heard of AC and wasn't really interested... but it had good ratings and it was on resell for like $12... so I picked it up.

It was, and still is, my favorite title in my collection. I love History. I love to roam around a large map and just be a virtual tourist - a virtual tourist armed to the hilt. And the idea of being a "knight" (or warrior or whatever) during the Crusades is pretty compelling. Here comes Altair, and he controls and is animated like a dream. I mean - I've played a LOT of games. Clunky controls piss me off. No matter how good the other elements are, if the character controls clunky - I have issues. But Altair moves across a map like an extension of my mind. It had depth too - I mean, you could pick it up and control it well; but mastering parkour across rooftops still takes skill --- at least not to go mucking about off course.

And the icing, the combat in AC1 is ridiculous fun. Almost any battle presents some kind of challenge. To be really really good, you have to work at it. Many said the counter system made it too easy, but to me, that's just a safety net. If you play doing nothing but countering, you are an unimaginative twit. If you try to fight in AC1 aggressively, you will end up in epic battles. I just frikkin love it.

Now, the story was good - but the presentation of that story was not that great. I mean, compared to Uncharted or God of War, the story presentation in AC1 really sucked. But that really only matters the first time you play a game. In AC1, you could write your own stories. The original Assassin's Creed was adventure in a box with a huge open wide world in front of you. Big huge maps, beautifully rendered, the world is yours.

I absolutely love that game. I still play it regularly. Hell, I even got motivated to do a video just to praise that game.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD6uCLLZWAA&feature=related

AC2 fixed the story part, and blew me away even more.

ACB ... oh.. lord. I won't go there. Let's just say I miss the good old days.

kenshijr
02-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Wow this is awesome, Love all the stories. Its amazing how technology has gotten like it is now. I mean to think we communicate thru the PC in this forum, thru PSN or XBOX Live, its amazing. I honestly never thought i could find fans like myself of the AC franchise till ACB and everything after came out.

Yea for me too when i bought my PS3 one of my first games was AC(well thats cause i had already played and beat it) but even then some gamers would be like "naw i wont get it, i already beat it, it was good, ill save the money for another game" or whatever. but not me i had to get it, i knew it was good. I tried to get my brother involved and he was but when my PS3 was freezing and acting up I had to restore it back like if i had just bought it. So he never beat the 1st one. But he bought the 2nd and loved it. He got ACB but wasnt much into it. Hes more of a COD fan.

Thanks for the video sharing luckyto. Im excited to read more AC fan stories:cool:

lothario-da-be
02-02-2012, 06:04 PM
i was already amazed by the 1st trailer i thought it was pop4 (i was 11 then) but but my pc wasnt good eaneagh for it i had to wait a long time and bought it when ac2 was announced for 15 since then there didnt passed 1 day without thinking of assassins creed.

kenshijr
02-02-2012, 06:16 PM
i was already amazed by the 1st trailer i thought it was pop4 (i was 11 then) but but my pc wasnt good eaneagh for it i had to wait a long time and bought it when ac2 was announced for 15 since then there didnt passed 1 day without thinking of assassins creed.

wow 11? very young, nice to see young fan's appreciation for AC

GLHS
02-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I was gonna say I was young too, but I was 17 when the first game was released lol. If it counts, I had just turned 15 when God of War was released and was playin it, so that's a bit better, eh?

lothario-da-be
02-02-2012, 06:35 PM
i know its young but i love history and that was what attracted me to ac.there are not much to no games that show history so acurate as ac.and theres no age limit on being pasionate by something

kenshijr
02-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I was gonna say I was young too, but I was 17 when the first game was released lol. If it counts, I had just turned 15 when God of War was released and was playin it, so that's a bit better, eh?

no yea thats young

i know its young but i love history and that was what attracted me to ac.there are not much to no games that show history so acurate as ac.and theres no age limit on being pasionate by something

i absolutely agree with you

luckyto
02-02-2012, 07:39 PM
As someone who is old as dirt, I would say it is more natural to be passionate when you are young. Enjoy your youth. It is awesome, and fleeting. I tell my kids this all time and it is why I refuse to grow up.

kenshijr
02-02-2012, 07:42 PM
As someone who is old as dirt, I would say it is more natural to be passionate when you are young. Enjoy your youth. It is awesome, and fleeting. I tell my kids this all time and it is why I refuse to grow up.

well said.

SleezeRocker
02-02-2012, 08:15 PM
How did I get started? Let's see; I for one, never even saw E3 2007 or footage (yet) on Assassin's Creed. I was just a osphmore in high school at the time, and most of my friends already had PS3
s and 360's. All I had was the Wii. So back when I actually used to read at IGN.com, I came across Assasisn's Creed and clicked the tab and started to read about. I sparked my interest since im primarliy an Action/Adventure player and the bonus that it was a historical ficiton intrigued me more (im an avid fan of history).

So eventually I went to a gamestop and I was getting a new game on wii, which I think I was getting Residen Evil umbrella chornicles and I came across the ps3 section and I saw the box for Assassin's Creed and I read the back. After I read it, I knew it would be my type of game!

So about a year and 1 month in the future (by now I was junior) for Christmas I had recived a PS3, the big ol VCR style...but no games so I lived off playing demos and PS Home for about 2 days when I got the PS3. Then they had that used game sale at gamestop and the 3 games I got were Metal gear Solid 4, Soul Calibur 5 and Assassin's Creed.

MGS4 I had played 1/2 the story before since my cousin who has both ps3 and box had mgs4 so I'd play it now and then. SC5 it was just a fighter game so it oculd wait, so I loaded in Assasisn's creed, and man did I I love it! Though I would yell since sometimes i'd fall in the water and I would say "i can be a 1 man army, outrun guards which probalby at the time, running over rooftops, was probalby noting they ever seen a 'criminal' do haha yet I die instantly touching water -_-" lol but it was good.

So then finally around june in E3 09 (high school grad already) I heard about Assasisn's Creed 2 (though before I read the gameinformer magazine and when I read it was about italian renaissance era, I said "YEAH! I love that part of history!" and so i geeked out from June-November about AC2. New Assassin, italian setting, Leo Da vinci, woo! I was all hyped for it lol!

I saw like near-release trailer of AC2 and I only slight dissapointed that the cutscenes for AC2 looked like PS2/xbox but I didn't care, graphics dont make the game, and looked how well it turned out!
I gave AC2 as much playthrough as I have for my Zelda games like Ocarina of time and Twilight princess.

Then eventually few months later after Ac2, I joined these forums (under another name but for some reason I can't use the forums with my old name so I made this one) and i learned about a new AC title appearing. We saw those pictures of Ezio in new robes and then eventually by E3 10, I was watching at my college library and I learned that AC Brothehorod was appearing in november 2010 and that it would have multiplayer. For me I said "Ha cool! It be interesting to try that than playing some FPS!". Eventually I preordered ACB with the CE and I got my Beta demo key and enjoyed playing the ACBeta.

Then more time came by and then in 2011 in these forums (and near this time I got a Failbook) and started seeing teaser images of a new AC game appearing and it showed (Idk which was first) an old Assassin(which at the time I thought was new guy or perhaps old Altair/Ezio) and then a pic of altair. After that pic of altair I though "Ah so we going to play maybe a console version of Secret Crusade and maybe see what happen when's he's Old?" Then that wasn't true (to an extent) and it was stairway to heaven Ezio we'd be playing withg some altair action as well. though at the time I htought it be 1/2 Ezio and 1/2 altair though, by now, that wasn't entirely true :P Nevertheless I still liked ACR and now im currently typing this in February 2012 and I just over-did my reply to this post XD

Oh well, im sure someone who read this stopped at the first paragrpah moved on the post proceeding this one hahaha XD

luckyto
02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
I read it. :) Kudos for the appropriate application and use of "Stairway to Heaven."

SixKeys
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
I saw the original CGI trailer for AC1 back when the game first came out, thought it was one of the coolest video game trailers I had ever seen, but then I just kind of forgot about it. A few years later I saw the trailer for AC2, was again very impressed and became more curious about the story. Picked up AC1 at a discount and was instantly hooked by the atmosphere.

SleezeRocker
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
I read it. :) Kudos for the appropriate application and use of "Stairway to Heaven."

Hahaha rock on man!

kenshijr
02-02-2012, 11:10 PM
How did I get started? Let's see; I for one, never even saw E3 2007 or footage (yet) on Assassin's Creed. I was just a osphmore in high school at the time, and most of my friends already had PS3
s and 360's. All I had was the Wii. So back when I actually used to read at IGN.com, I came across Assasisn's Creed and clicked the tab and started to read about. I sparked my interest since im primarliy an Action/Adventure player and the bonus that it was a historical ficiton intrigued me more (im an avid fan of history).

So eventually I went to a gamestop and I was getting a new game on wii, which I think I was getting Residen Evil umbrella chornicles and I came across the ps3 section and I saw the box for Assassin's Creed and I read the back. After I read it, I knew it would be my type of game!

So about a year and 1 month in the future (by now I was junior) for Christmas I had recived a PS3, the big ol VCR style...but no games so I lived off playing demos and PS Home for about 2 days when I got the PS3. Then they had that used game sale at gamestop and the 3 games I got were Metal gear Solid 4, Soul Calibur 5 and Assassin's Creed.

MGS4 I had played 1/2 the story before since my cousin who has both ps3 and box had mgs4 so I'd play it now and then. SC5 it was just a fighter game so it oculd wait, so I loaded in Assasisn's creed, and man did I I love it! Though I would yell since sometimes i'd fall in the water and I would say "i can be a 1 man army, outrun guards which probalby at the time, running over rooftops, was probalby noting they ever seen a 'criminal' do haha yet I die instantly touching water -_-" lol but it was good.

So then finally around june in E3 09 (high school grad already) I heard about Assasisn's Creed 2 (though before I read the gameinformer magazine and when I read it was about italian renaissance era, I said "YEAH! I love that part of history!" and so i geeked out from June-November about AC2. New Assassin, italian setting, Leo Da vinci, woo! I was all hyped for it lol!

I saw like near-release trailer of AC2 and I only slight dissapointed that the cutscenes for AC2 looked like PS2/xbox but I didn't care, graphics dont make the game, and looked how well it turned out!
I gave AC2 as much playthrough as I have for my Zelda games like Ocarina of time and Twilight princess.

Then eventually few months later after Ac2, I joined these forums (under another name but for some reason I can't use the forums with my old name so I made this one) and i learned about a new AC title appearing. We saw those pictures of Ezio in new robes and then eventually by E3 10, I was watching at my college library and I learned that AC Brothehorod was appearing in november 2010 and that it would have multiplayer. For me I said "Ha cool! It be interesting to try that than playing some FPS!". Eventually I preordered ACB with the CE and I got my Beta demo key and enjoyed playing the ACBeta.

Then more time came by and then in 2011 in these forums (and near this time I got a Failbook) and started seeing teaser images of a new AC game appearing and it showed (Idk which was first) an old Assassin(which at the time I thought was new guy or perhaps old Altair/Ezio) and then a pic of altair. After that pic of altair I though "Ah so we going to play maybe a console version of Secret Crusade and maybe see what happen when's he's Old?" Then that wasn't true (to an extent) and it was stairway to heaven Ezio we'd be playing withg some altair action as well. though at the time I htought it be 1/2 Ezio and 1/2 altair though, by now, that wasn't entirely true :P Nevertheless I still liked ACR and now im currently typing this in February 2012 and I just over-did my reply to this post XD

Oh well, im sure someone who read this stopped at the first paragrpah moved on the post proceeding this one hahaha XD

yea i read it too, nice man. yea this franchise rocks, im glad there is world wide fans who appreciate this type of gaming style.

JumpInTheFire13
02-03-2012, 12:19 AM
haha nice, yea its been my favorite franchice as well. Love your sig btw awesome Thanks a lot, I'm finally figuring out how to use GIMP and you can make some awesome things, I definitely recommend it if you're into that kind of stuff.

JumpInTheFire13
02-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Continuing the topic of young AC fans, I'm only 15. In grad 8 I learned all about the Italian Renaissance, and was like "this is kinda interesting." Then I played AC2 and was like "HOLY CRAP I LEARNED ABOUT THESE PEOPLE IN SCHOOL AND NOW THEY'RE IN A FREAKING VIDEOGAME." And thanks kenshijr for starting this thread, it's really interesting to read how other people became fans of the series.

Sevenofnine-st
02-03-2012, 04:14 AM
Just like a lot of people here, AC1 was among the very first games I bought for my PS3 almost three years ago. Unfortunately, back then I was only starting to play video games and I could only go as far as the first few minutes of AC1 before giving up because I completely sucked at sword fighting. I was very, very disappointed because I really wanted to play the game after seeing an ad for it on TV many times and I just loved the premise. Instead, I went on to other games and was able to perfect my sword play with two Prince of Persia games. The 2008 version was particularly helpful because it taught me how to block and counter and use combos while really increasing my reflexes. Finally, early last year I decided to start playing AC2 (probably because I had read so many good things about it compared to the first one) and I fell in love head over heels... Brotherhood was next and only after that did I go back to AC1. And in spite of the unimaginative gameplay, I really enjoyed it. That's when I knew I was in love with the series as a whole and that I was officially a fan.

SleezeRocker
02-03-2012, 06:26 AM
yea i read it too, nice man. yea this franchise rocks, im glad there is world wide fans who appreciate this type of gaming style.

Heck yeah! I got my younger cousin (who lives back in CA) into Assasisn's Creed and he's learning about the italian renaissance. I gave him AC1 (due to me having AC1 on ACR I could part with it) and AC2 (used game sale) for christmas and he's really diggin it ;)

john63
02-03-2012, 07:02 AM
I was a big fan of the first few splinter cell games before AC came out; I actually first heard about AC because its "social stealth" mechanics were being compared to Early versions of splinter cell conviction. So I looked up the trailer and some gameplay clips on youtube. I loved what I saw; it really gave a sense of the utter skill of this person (Altair), and I instantly wanted to play it.

But the story of the original AC is what really hooked me. That sense of not quite knowing why you had been kidnapped, why these people cared about my ancestor, etc really got me on edge, left me paranoid and curious. The big reveal at the start of memory sequence 7 (what the "Templar treasure" was, why people cared) left me reeling.

The revelation of the central moral dilemmas of the franchise genuinely made me stop and think for a second. IS free will more important than world peace? CAN mankind get to peace if they're left to their own devices? What DO you do if someone has good intentions, but plans to achieve them through evil means, and they can't be reasoned with?

Then there was the explanation of the Creed itself; I'm not sure if this is what Ubisoft meant for it to mean, but I took "Nothing is true" to mean that no religion (or philosophy, government, or other institution) can truly claim moral superiority or divine inspiration over another, since the only evidence that any religion ever presents is a text that they claim is Holy, without solid proof of its holiness or divine inspiration. There IS no way to prove or disprove any religion or moral system.

I had gone to Catholic school for 12 years, not including pre-school or kindergarten, so when I realized the truth in this statement, it was very profound to me.

I took "everything is permitted" to mean that because no one moral code or religion can claim absolute moral authority, no religion could be entirely condemned as amoral. If no one is entirely right, no one can be entirely wrong. I took it to mean that it was the duty of the assassins to protect the freedom of each and every person, to allow them to choose their moral code based on their conscience and logic, not force or blind indoctrination. EVERY path HAD to be protected, to be permitted. I realized that openly communicating, avoiding judgment, and using reason to find laws that we could all agree on is the only way humanity will ever achieve lasting peace.

To this day, that game affects the way I treat people. I'm always careful to avoid premature judgments and put myself in others' shoes. I try to never force my beliefs on others. I call out people who have formed their beliefs without solid evidence, or are trying to force their beliefs on others. I'm still a practicing Catholic, but less of a blindly adherent one. I'm just there trying my best to get in touch with something that every religion, and each of us, are hopelessly underequipped to understand.

Heck, I even started training in Parkour after becoming so addicted to the games (January was my 2 year training anniversary.) The game has genuinely touched my life. Bravo, Ubisoft.

...Plz don't goof up AC3 :D

kenshijr
02-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Continuing the topic of young AC fans, I'm only 15. In grad 8 I learned all about the Italian Renaissance, and was like "this is kinda interesting." Then I played AC2 and was like "HOLY CRAP I LEARNED ABOUT THESE PEOPLE IN SCHOOL AND NOW THEY'RE IN A FREAKING VIDEOGAME." And thanks kenshijr for starting this thread, it's really interesting to read how other people became fans of the series.

dude no problem, i just wanted to know how it started for others. we all have different experiences. Especially kaxen6, you should read kaxen6 post if you havent, and check the link. Yea dude you are young, thats cool, you know what you like in video games.

Just like a lot of people here, AC1 was among the very first games I bought for my PS3 almost three years ago. Unfortunately, back then I was only starting to play video games and I could only go as far as the first few minutes of AC1 before giving up because I completely sucked at sword fighting. I was very, very disappointed because I really wanted to play the game after seeing an ad for it on TV many times and I just loved the premise. Instead, I went on to other games and was able to perfect my sword play with two Prince of Persia games. The 2008 version was particularly helpful because it taught me how to block and counter and use combos while really increasing my reflexes. Finally, early last year I decided to start playing AC2 (probably because I had read so many good things about it compared to the first one) and I fell in love head over heels... Brotherhood was next and only after that did I go back to AC1. And in spite of the unimaginative gameplay, I really enjoyed it. That's when I knew I was in love with the series as a whole and that I was officially a fan.

Nice!! As i was reading your post i was about to ask if you ever beat AC1, but assuming you did as you mention you went back to it

Heck yeah! I got my younger cousin (who lives back in CA) into Assasisn's Creed and he's learning about the italian renaissance. I gave him AC1 (due to me having AC1 on ACR I could part with it) and AC2 (used game sale) for christmas and he's really diggin it ;)

Nice, thats whats up!! hopefully he'll pick up the rest of the series

kenshijr
02-03-2012, 07:17 AM
I was a big fan of the first few splinter cell games before AC came out; I actually first heard about AC because its "social stealth" mechanics were being compared to Early versions of splinter cell conviction. So I looked up the trailer and some gameplay clips on youtube. I loved what I saw; it really gave a sense of the utter skill of this person (Altair), and I instantly wanted to play it.

But the story of the original AC is what really hooked me. That sense of not quite knowing why you had been kidnapped, why these people cared about my ancestor, etc really got me on edge, left me paranoid and curious. The big reveal at the start of memory sequence 7 (what the "Templar treasure" was, why people cared) left me reeling.

The revelation of the central moral dilemmas of the franchise genuinely made me stop and think for a second. IS free will more important than world peace? CAN mankind get to peace if they're left to their own devices? What DO you do if someone has good intentions, but plans to achieve them through evil means, and they can't be reasoned with?

Then there was the explanation of the Creed itself; I'm not sure if this is what Ubisoft meant for it to mean, but I took "Nothing is true" to mean that no religion (or philosophy, government, or other institution) can truly claim moral superiority or divine inspiration over another, since the only evidence that any religion ever presents is a text that they claim is Holy, without solid proof of its holiness or divine inspiration. There IS no way to prove or disprove any religion or moral system.

I had gone to Catholic school for 12 years, not including pre-school or kindergarten, so when I realized the truth in this statement, it was very profound to me.

I took "everything is permitted" to mean that because no one moral code or religion can claim absolute moral authority, no religion could be entirely condemned as amoral. If no one is entirely right, no one can be entirely wrong. I took it to mean that it was the duty of the assassins to protect the freedom of each and every person, to allow them to choose their moral code based on their conscience and logic, not force or blind indoctrination. EVERY path HAD to be protected, to be permitted. I realized that openly communicating, avoiding judgment, and using reason to find laws that we could all agree on is the only way humanity will ever achieve lasting peace.

To this day, that game affects the way I treat people. I'm always careful to avoid premature judgments and put myself in others' shoes. I try to never force my beliefs on others. I call out people who have formed their beliefs without solid evidence, or are trying to force their beliefs on others. I'm still a practicing Catholic, but less of a blindly adherent one. I'm just there trying my best to get in touch with something that every religion, and each of us, are hopelessly underequipped to understand.

Heck, I even started training in Parkour after becoming so addicted to the games (January was my 2 year training anniversary.) The game has genuinely touched my life. Bravo, Ubisoft.

Wow those were some questions to think about huh? For a video game, i like what you said on your in depth description of "Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted." So one question man what is a Parkour?

zStrictStyle
02-03-2012, 09:02 AM
I was just returning home one night when I entered a bookstore and saw had some games too.I saw AC2 with them.I had seen it many times before but that time I really considerd buying it and said"There's no harm in trying". I installed it, played some story missions of Ezio's and then said"What the hell?!I have never seen any game like this before". I stayed late that day until 2 or 3 a.m opening and closing my eyes not believing there was a game like this.When I had finished AC2, I dedided to buy AC1.I saw whar happend in it and how that game was so serious (The way they talk,Malik`s Injury,The cutscens of the Templars killing their victims).I realised then that AC2 was a child's play compared to to what happend in AC1.

nukelukespuke34
02-03-2012, 09:24 AM
This one's easy.

"It is a good life we lead, brother."
"The best. May it never change."
"And may it never change us."

^That's when I knew that the game was gonna be something special.

iSoTryHard
02-03-2012, 10:39 AM
When I got my PS3 ibought GT5, littlebigplanet and AC

I wasnt big on AC until i saw on ebay AC2
At this time AC Brotherhood was out without me knowing
Anyway I got AC2 loved it beat it and then tried AC And what got me hooked was the unique-ness of the game and just plain awesomness:):D:)

And another thing that got me hooked was SPOILER In subject 16s last glyph he says " Lucy Im ready to go" She sees me raise the knife SPOILER
that was just awesome

john63
02-03-2012, 02:51 PM
@kenshijr, Parkour is a physical discipline that teaches people to quickly and efficiently move through the environment and overcome whatever obstacles they're faced with. AC's movement mechanics were inspired by it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMppD-bUNWo

kenshijr
02-03-2012, 04:49 PM
This one's easy.

"It is a good life we lead, brother."
"The best. May it never change."
"And may it never change us."

^That's when I knew that the game was gonna be something special.

that easy huh, did you ever play AC1

@kenshijr, Parkour is a physical discipline that teaches people to quickly and efficiently move through the environment and overcome whatever obstacles they're faced with. AC's movement mechanics were inspired by it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMppD-bUNWo

oh thats what that is, wow awesome thanks for the video. so you got inspired to do that? wow you really got to be careful, i can see injuries happening if not careful and precise with it

luckyto
02-03-2012, 06:25 PM

Those are wise words to live by. It has been my philosophy for living for as long as I can remember. Freedom.

Excellent story.

nukelukespuke34
02-04-2012, 06:42 AM
that easy huh, did you ever play AC1

Yes, I did, but AC2 was what really made the series for me. I thought AC1 was a boring, repetitive turd. Sorry if that offends you.

playassassins1
02-04-2012, 12:20 PM
I bought AC 1 when it came out. i didn't really pay attention to the story. But when i started my second playthrough i started to pay attention to the story. And since then i got hooked to the franchise.

JumpInTheFire13
02-04-2012, 09:02 PM
To this day, that game affects the way I treat people. I'm always careful to avoid premature judgments and put myself in others' shoes. I try to never force my beliefs on others. I call out people who have formed their beliefs without solid evidence, or are trying to force their beliefs on others.

Same here man. The AC games and metal music have definitely shaped who I am.

capkris
02-04-2012, 09:31 PM
ACII's beautiful scenery and awesome gameplay got me hooked on the AC series, which is my favorite gaming series.
Altair's combos with the knife in the original AC are also awesome; something any good player should master and experience.
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood's scenery is not as great as ACII's, but it's gameplay surpasses any other game. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is by far the best of the series (much better than Assassion's Creed Revelations, which is overdone in my opinion) and my favorite all time game. I have played Assassin's Creed Brotherhood story plus all add-on content 100% 6 times and have played multi-player with my friends for over a year and I don't think I will ever get tired of it.
btw; ACR did not actually "reveal" anything to me that I did not already know, except how Altair dies, and of course; Sofia. The fact that Altair was discredited to most of the Assassin's clan (except his inner circle of followers) is clear in the first version of the game. The reason for the disappearance of the ancient breed and how the world of humans will end (unless somehow prevented) is clear to anybody that completed all of ACII and ACB+add-ons. I do recommend ACR to anybody that loves to play, but just a warning; for me the gameplay was not as good as ACB. ACR's story is pretty good, but I was disappointed with the end (I expected for something new to be revealed).
I am eager for the next installment of the series, which this time I am hoping Ubisoft will actually let Desmond fulfill his destiny.

kenshijr
02-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Yes, I did, but AC2 was what really made the series for me. I thought AC1 was a boring, repetitive turd. Sorry if that offends you.

oh no dude your cool, everyone is entitled to their opinion, i personally think that ACB has been the best 1 others think AC2 and others AC.
Good stories guys, keep them coming:cool:

kenshijr
02-05-2012, 04:23 PM
aww no more stories

jazmex
02-05-2012, 05:44 PM
THE FIRST GAME

brother: you should check out this game.
me: i'm totally gonna check out the game.
*checks out the game*
loading screen - this is gonna be awesome...
start menu - this is gonna be f'ing awesome...
game - ZOMG THIS GAME IS SO AMAZING!
end of game - *drooling followed by incoherant babbling* it was love.

DinoSteve1
02-05-2012, 05:58 PM
for me it was that I enjoyed stabbing people with the hidden blade, I have played through assassins creed 2 using only it and the throwing knives

JumpInTheFire13
02-06-2012, 01:17 AM
I think another reason why people got hooked on AC is that it's a perfect balance between reality and fantasy. People like fantasy games because they put you in a world completely different than your own (like Skyrim). People like games set in our world in the modern day because they are, for the most part, realistic (like Uncharted.) So people like AC because it's believable since it's still in the real world, but it's in the past and therefore completely different than anything we experience in our daily lives.

mustash
02-06-2012, 01:39 AM
My "hooking" if you will has been rather progressive. I can't quite place WHEN I got hooked because it ramped up in stages. But let me just say first of that my intial interest was spurred on by the lure of visiting an ancient historical place as it was. Which leads me into:

AC1
It was so enthralling back in 2007 to just gaze upon the spectable of each city. But what really got me suprsing to me at the time was the story, I mean MY GOD the story. I love the integration of sci-fi fantasy and historical events with a conspirital twist. Assassins Creed 1 was more like a proof of concept but coming off that game, I admired both what the game was setting out to do but also kind of bummed, that it was so repetitive in it's gameplay. But the hints left me wanting so I was patient.

AC2
So Assassins Creed 2 roles around and i've seen a few of those trailers they put out. I'm thinking "What happened to the graphics?" mostly but I was still intrigued. So, eventually I bought the game, popped the disc in my PS3 and booted it up. After the intiial escape, I had a sense that this game was going to be very ambitious, at least more so then AC1. Whilst everyone is fond of AC2 because Ezio was more relatable then Altair, I think I enjoyed AC2 more for the scope of the adventure and the story that was just getting into full swing. I wasn't fond of Ezio at first, has to be said but as time passed I grew to like him and his journey to avenge his father and brothers death. I was impressed that they had managed to pull all this together in 2 years, the layers of the narrative, the tweaks to mission structure, gameplay. So I was a fan but then ending and the game changing WTF awe I felt after seeing Minerva is when I knew this series was special.

As for AC:B and AC:R, they have been enjoyable experiences but not quite as "THIS IS AMAZING" good in the way that AC2 was. I'm not sure if they can ever pull that off again, I think that my interest is mainly in seeing where the story goes. It would take serious revitilisation and change, the scope of which I don't think we will see in AC3 to bring about AC2 levels of awe. Actually, come to think about it, there isn't anything particularly awe worthy about AC since 2. I hope that changes however.

k20ml
02-06-2012, 03:35 AM
I watched the entire walkthrough of AC2, got hooked because of parkour. Didnt have a job. Got a job, bought a ps3 and AC2. Addicted since then.

LightRey
02-06-2012, 12:33 PM
I watched the entire walkthrough of AC2, got hooked because of parkour. Didnt have a job. Got a job, bought a ps3 and AC2. Addicted since then.

Lol, so you got a job so you could play games? That's pretty ironic.

kenshijr
02-06-2012, 07:08 PM
THE FIRST GAME

brother: you should check out this game.
me: i'm totally gonna check out the game.
*checks out the game*
loading screen - this is gonna be awesome...
start menu - this is gonna be f'ing awesome...
game - ZOMG THIS GAME IS SO AMAZING!
end of game - *drooling followed by incoherant babbling* it was love.

haha thats funny, but awesome.

VRTX97
02-07-2012, 04:52 AM
How did I get hooked, huh?
Well it was summer vacation (2008, I was 11 years old), I was at my grandparent's...
My cousin brought his Xbox 360 (I had a PS2 at the time) with AC:1 and other games.
So I started playing AC:1, and tbh, I couldn't make Altair climb a single building in Masyaf. But i still liked killing civilians. xD
Time passed by, and I asked a PS3 for Christmas. So we went to the store and by buying a PS3 or an Xbox you could choose a game from the store. ANY game.
And I saw it: Assassin's Creed. I remembered the summer vacation. And i instantly said: I want THAT ONE.
At first I loved it because of the fact that it was a realistic game, compared to PS2 ones (SlyCooper and such xD) but then I got really immersed into the story, and the ending was a total ''OMGWTF THERE MUST BE A SEQUEL AND I'M SO BUYING IT'' moment.
So I continued playing, and the day of my birthday (April 6) I joined these forums and saw it: the AC2 teaser. I was really excited because we were going to Italy, and to see all of the features it Ubisoft implemented (Disarm, new weapons, blablabla). I was really hyped for AC2. Same for ACB and ACR.