PDA

View Full Version : re IL2setup.exe compatibility options - how to set if at all

pugo3
02-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I've been spending more time recently trying to resolve computer issues and following tweaking guidelines for my computer. I noticed under IL2setup.exe , Properties, Compatibility the following options:

Compatibility - this should be set for XP SP2, correct? or Win 7? [I have Win7 64bit]
Run 256 colors - is this the same as "Use Palette"? Why would I use this?
Run in 640 x 480 "Try this setting if the graphical user interface appears jagged or is rendered improperly." I was experiencing some tearing or jagged rendering along the display edge, and I tried this recently and it seems to be helping. Any explanation as to why, or if others use this setting?

Disable desktop composition "Turns off transparency and other advanced display features. Choose this setting if window movement appears erratic or you notice other display problems." ...again, explanation as to using this, or not, and some examples as to various situations where one whould use this.

thanks for any input regarding these questions.

p3

dglasal
02-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Pugo - I too have Win7 64bit so I assume you have more than 4 gigs of ram, running a 3.0ish CPU, and a GPU that was sold during the past 3 years (all of which the surpasses the games requirements). I have the following compatibility set-up:

Compatibility - set to XP SP3 - the latest XP version. IL-2 came out when XP was the standard operating system so the game runs more smoothly with this check, however, I have worked both with this setting and without it and have not truly been able to tell the difference but if you have freezes, stutters, etc. than your Win7 maybe having problems running such an old program so try it on.

Run 256 colors - never bothered with it, your system has much more capability.

Run in 640 x 480 - use the resident settings for your monitor.

Disable visual themes, desktop composition, display scaling - never checked them. These are dependent on available RAM and with a 64bit system and assuming you have more than 4 gigs, your system is quite capable of running IL-2 without these disabled. But again, if you are experiencing stutters, freezes, etc. it is a consideration to disable these but look at other potential problems such as a bad RAM module, GPU heating problem, etc.

Also under "Privilege Level" on the same page, check the "Run this program as an administrator." This helps with tweaking Win7 and the game to run and appear as you like it to.

Overall, if you are not happy with how your game looks on your monitor, play with your GPU manager with things like AA settings.

A general rule I follow for flight sims = if I get approximately 40 frames per second, I'm happy with the settings. All you really need is 30 as that is what we are told that is the limit your eyes can absorb but if you are able to get 40, then when you are in combat close to a city or forested area, the frames will drop but generally do not drop to an unplayable level.

These are my experiences, hope this helps you.

DKoor
02-05-2012, 11:23 PM
You helped me too.

Finally I'm able to play this game like a man.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/DKoor/il2/i153_1000fps.jpg

:D

pugo3
02-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for your response and information - yes, I do have a approx. 3 year old with 4 g of RAM, duo core, etc. [should have stated that in my inquiry!]

p3