PDA

View Full Version : Attention GTX295(and similar?) Users

ytareh
01-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Ive always considered myself on top of general pc hardware maintenance .Lately I noticed my GTX295 was running with fan at 100% (loud!) and temps well into 80s.Id bought it used on Ebay ( dropped back from a 5970 which was too glitchy / driver sensitive /erratic ) I spotted a video on Youtube which highlighted JUST how clogged up with baked in dust these cards get . Lo and behold when I disassembled mine (which may have been 2-3 years old and in apparently minto external condition ) it had a horrific blockage in both cooling fin units .Load temps dropped 20 Celsius !!!A very small Phillips head screwdriver is all thats required for the job .There are loads of screws on one side of the main plate/s and dont miss the two shorter ones on the rear/back of the card.(The plastic fan housing is a bit tight but unclips apart with a little pressure applied.

WTE_Galway
01-31-2012, 06:17 AM
When building PCs for friends and relatives of limited technical ability I have often fitted graphics cards with passive coolers as passive cards can play most popular mid-range games (sims etc etc) and are not reliant on a fan and do not clog up heatsinks near as badly as their fan cooled siblings. Another advantage is a substantial reduction in system noise.

Providing the intended user is not intending to fly flight-sims or play teenage boy(FPS) games these cards with passive cooling can cope pretty well with way more reliability.