PDA

View Full Version : What have they done to Assassinís Creed?

eDwiinSWE
01-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Anyone else miss the first AC? With fantastic dialogs like this: http://www.musicvideos.com/watch-assassins-creed-nothing-is-true-everything-is-permitted/y_sEyky7NlY.html

Here is the script:

Al Mualim: Before you go, I have a question for you.

Altair: Of course.

Al Mualim: What is the truth?

Altair: We place faith in ourselves. We see the world the way it really is, and
hope that one day all mankind might see the same.

Al Mualim: What is the world then?

Altair: An illusion. One we can either submit to, as most do, or transcend.

Al Mualim: What is it to transcend?

Altair: To recognize nothing is true and everything is permitted. That laws
arise not from divinity, but reason. I understand now that our creed
does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise.

The dialogs, between Altair and Al Mualim/his victims, made the first game so incredible good. It’s so much thought behind the script.
I also really like the acting; it’s not so over-dramatic, for example like Altair (with the new voice) in Revelations or Ezio.

I miss the mystic feeling and the seriousness from the first game. What happened to this? I can’t even play the new AC because they ruin the feeling from the first.
They should have made only 3 games as planned and kept the quality. But I guess it’s about the money?

Anyone agree?

Sincerely

naran6142
01-17-2012, 10:07 PM
i thought the way Ezio described the creed to sofia was pretty good

there are some directions that AC is taking that i dont really like, but i think the script has been pretty good throughout the series

and it is about the money, Ubi's a business, i do recall Alex saying that if they have nothing new to add then they wont ship :)

Anykeyer
01-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Yes. Dialogs (between Desmond and Vidic too) was the best part of AC. There was no pure good or pure evil people in this game.
But to some degree this also applies to Revelations. I even feel some sort of sympathy to Manuel.

eDwiinSWE
01-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Yes. Dialogs (between Desmond and Vidic too) was the best part of AC. There was no pure good or pure evil people in this game.

That's what I also liked, there is no right or wrong.

I can agree that the new AC-games have some good moments, but it's just too much I don't like about them.

I think they made the series silly, I mean Ezio talks like an Italian womanizer that shoots canon, uses flying-machines, cave exploring, slide behind wagons, parachutes after wagons (!).. What the hell is this? It’s like a bad Zorro movie combined with Idianan Jones-adventure. It's a completly diffrent game.

Imagine if Altair had done this in the first game.. it would have ruined the whole experience.

Fristi61
01-18-2012, 12:48 PM
I agree, AC1's dialogue seemed much more intelligent and philosophical in nature. I especially miss how you had a conversation with the targets when you killed them where they explain their motivation (it's still there to some extent, but not as much as I'd personally like). The characters just seemed so much... wiser.

I especially liked the final discussion Al Mualim and Altair had before Altair kills him, Al Mualim still 'won' the discussion even though he was the antagonist. (wasn't very fond of the new al mualim in revelations btw)

But I understand why they changed it, I remember that at the time there was criticism over the long, unskippable dialogues you had to go through every time you played. Each time you would load up a sequence to replay you would have to listen to Al Mualim having a long discussion with Altair over one thing or another. Also, this kind of dark philosphical discussion might not fit the lively atmosphere of the Renaissance era well.

eDwiinSWE
01-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Yes I agree that it does not fit the atmosphere of the Renaissance, but Ubisoft wasn't forced to set the game-story in that era either. They choosed to make the game less about thought and more about things that people buy/like = action, hollywood story (revenge), women, jokes etc. That's probably why they set it in the Renaissance, because they wanted to do a game with less depth.

Ferrith
01-18-2012, 10:05 PM
*** It may contain SPOILERS *** You have been WARNED ***

The script has been pretty good in all installments but the last, a.k.a. Revelations, which was under-developed, to say the least.

The first AC is, in my opinion, the creation of the creed, hence the philosophical dialogues and questions. While Altair represents the Creed itself, Ezio was indeed a womanizer who was dragged into the life of an Assassin - it all started with the death of his family and him seeking revenge, remember? Even in Revelations we see a very tired Master Assassin who still seeks the truth and the reason behind all this. There is a meaning that eludes him, it seems, and this is why he embarks on his last adventure following whatever trails Altair had left behind.

In my opinion, Ezio's fate looks too small when compared to Altair. I was surprised In the last scene: after he found Altair's remains inside the library of Masyaf, he got rid of his equipment and left the Apple of Eden alone. That scene made it clear to me that Ezio was tired of the life of the Assassin and all he wanted was to retire and live peacefully the rest of his days.

eDwiinSWE
01-20-2012, 08:34 PM
In my opinion, Ezio's fate looks too small when compared to Altair.

Yes, very small indeed.

I have another question; who wrote the script to the first AC? I can't imagine that it's the same people who wrote it to sequels.

And what happened to Jade Raymond? They talked alot about her when AC was released.

Ferrith
01-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Yes, very small indeed.

I have another question; who wrote the script to the first AC? I can't imagine that it's the same people who wrote it to sequels.

And what happened to Jade Raymond? They talked alot about her when AC was released.

I know nothing about Mrs Raymond, but according to Wikipedia....

Assassin's Creed [original]: Corey May & Dooma Wendschuh
Assassin's Creed II: Corey May, Joshua Rubin & Jeffrey Yohalem
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: Corey May (story) & Jeffrey Yohalem (head writer and story)
Assassin's Creed Revelations: Darby McDevitt - Hmm. I think Mr McDevitt might need a course in creative writing.

Let's hope Mr Corey May works on Assassin's Creed III, otherwise...

eDwiinSWE
01-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Thanks! Let's hope Cory May teams up with Dooma Wendschuh again and go back to the roots of Assassin's Creed. But I guess it's too late for that.

RzaRecta357
01-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Regardless of what the wiki says, Corey had a lot to do with watching over Mcdarby in the last installment.

eDwiinSWE
01-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Okey, but why didn't Corey write the script for Revelations? Busy with AC III?