PDA

View Full Version : Armor ideas for Desmond in ACIII

ArcadienForger
01-17-2012, 08:29 PM
As you all know, a common gameplay feature throughout assassins creed are cool armor upgrades w/ coinciding defensive stats. Armor has changed greatly in design since the era in which the previous installations take place. We have replaced steel and iron with kevlar. How do you think Ubi will address the issue of armor and appearance for Desmond?

On a side note, Ezio and Altair have always had an "ultimate armor outfit" that became available to them at about 60% into the story. My personal idea for such a costume for Desmond, would be something futuristic and Raiden-esque (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance [silly name huh]), an exoskeleton suit if you will.
http://images.wikia.com/metalgear/images/c/c0/Ninja_Raiden.jpg
My idea however would be for a 3/4 helmet and the front to be designed more like a hood with the famed "beak" design. Any thoughts? Agree or disagree?

naran6142
01-17-2012, 09:24 PM
errr... disagree

i doubt we'll see desmond in this kind of armor

lukaszep
01-17-2012, 09:36 PM
I doubt we'll see Desmond in armor. If we do, it probably wouldn't be much more than a bullet proof vest.

LightRey
01-17-2012, 09:54 PM
I doubt we'll see Desmond in armor. If we do, it probably wouldn't be much more than a bullet proof vest.

Maybe a bracer, but yeah, no more than that.

naran6142
01-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Maybe a bracer, but yeah, no more than that.

i wonder if they'll give him 2 hidden blades?

how much do you guys want to bet that there will be some cut scene where Desmond dramatically pulls up his hood:p

SuperMackie
01-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Wasn't the Raiden armour in Brotherhood anyway?

GlytchMeister
01-18-2012, 02:18 AM
Bleargh. I'm sorry, but even if you decked out Raiden in blatantly Assassin-related gear, it would be a disaster in my opinion. Every male assassin (the ones that fight) I've seen in the games has worn loose-fitting clothing. Shaun is a bit of an exception, but he hasn't had to climb anything in-game.
Altair: long, flowing cloth robes and loose-ish pants.
Ezio: Slightly shorter robes and loose-ish pants, with armor on top.
Desmond (so far): Loose-fitting hoodie, slightly baggy jeans.

Glorified spandex just doesn't seem right at all...

LightRey
01-18-2012, 12:27 PM
i wonder if they'll give him 2 hidden blades?

how much do you guys want to bet that there will be some cut scene where Desmond dramatically pulls up his hood:p

Probably. Maybe even a hookblade.

joelsantos24
01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Making Desmond the central character of the game, rather than one from the past, will probably mark a revolution in the game, particularly regarding the concepts/notions that we currently assume as untouchable: presence of armor; to walk among the people bearing weapons; interface with the animus; etc. In other words, he won't be able to use an armor, or at least not a conventional one, especially one as clear and visible as those we've seen so far. The goal here, is to be as inconspicuous as possible, and in present time an armor is everything except that. The use of general weapons also falls into that issue, because can anyone envison Desmond walking around the streets wearing armor and bearing heavy weapons? No, I don't think so, I believe this step will turn Assassin's into more of a Splinter Cell sort of game (focused on physical stealth, that is), simply because it has to. I don't see anything wrong with that (particularly because Splinter Cell is and has always been one of my favorite games), other than there's already one Splinter Cell sort of game, which is Splinter Cell.

LightRey
01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Making Desmond the central character of the game, rather than one from the past, will probably mark a revolution in the game, particularly regarding the concepts/notions that we currently assume as untouchable: presence of armor; to walk among the people bearing weapons; interface with the animus; etc. In other words, he won't be able to use an armor, or at least not a conventional one, especially one as clear and visible as those we've seen so far. The goal here, is to be as inconspicuous as possible, and in present time an armor is everything except that. The use of general weapons also falls into that issue, because can anyone envison Desmond walking around the streets wearing armor and bearing heavy weapons? No, I don't think so, I believe this step will turn Assassin's into more of a Splinter Cell sort of game (physical stealth, to be more exact), simply because it has to. I don't see anything wrong with that (particularly because Splinter Cell is and has always been one of my favorite games), other than there's already one Splinter Cell sort of game, which is Splinter Cell.

That is all based on the assumption that ACIII will be an All-Desmond game, which it won't be.

joelsantos24
01-18-2012, 12:57 PM
That is all based on the assumption that ACIII will be an All-Desmond game, which it won't be.
Obviously. The game won't be focused solely on Desmond, that much is clear, but everytime it will, that is the sort of gaming experience we should expect. Personally, I see no harm in that, others however, may differ.

LightRey
01-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Obviously. The game won't be focused solely on Desmond, that much is clear, but everytime it will, that is the sort of gaming experience we should expect. Personally, I see no harm in that, others however, may differ.

Not at all. Up until now the only Desmond-related gameplay has been focused on solving puzzles, story "intermissions", dramatic points in the story which at only one point was truly combined with combat. There has not even been any suggestion that Desmond will even go to any modern cities. His focus seems to revolve primarily on the temples and any assassinating (if at all) he will be doing will likely be in and around such places.

joelsantos24
01-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Maybe, maybe not. The feeling I have is actually opposite to your's, from everything I have been reading and hearing, it has been suggested that Desmond might actually partake more on the thick of the action, so to speak, rather than merely solving puzzles in parallel with a few sequences of fighting, much as it happened in Assassin's 2 and/or Brotherhood. This actually sounds very much logical to me, after all, there are Templars in (Desmond's) Present time and they need to be dealt with, of course. What good is wisdom, when it grants no profit to the wise? So much information gathered from the Past, it would be a regreatable waste not to apply it in the Present.

LightRey
01-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Maybe, maybe not. The feeling I have is actually opposite to your's, from everything I have been reading and hearing, it has been suggested that Desmond might actually partake more on the thick of the action, so to speak, rather than merely solving puzzles in parallel with a few sequences of fighting, much as it happened in Assassin's 2 and/or Brotherhood. This actually sounds very much logical to me, after all, there are Templars in (Desmond's) Present time and they need to be dealt with, of course. What good is wisdom, when it grants no profit to the wise? So much information gathered from the Past, it would be a regreatable waste not to apply it in the Present.

I'm not saying there won't be fighting, but from the end of ACR it's quite clear that Desmond's main objective will revolve around saving the world from the solar flare. If he's going to kill any templars it will be the ones trying to get in his way, such as those that are after his father and those that are out there looking for temples.

joelsantos24
01-18-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm not saying there won't be fighting, but from the end of ACR it's quite clear that Desmond's main objective will revolve around saving the world from the solar flare. If he's going to kill any templars it will be the ones trying to get in his way, such as those that are after his father and those that are out there looking for temples.
There you go, you caught me at a disadvantage, because I have not played Revelations yet, I still have not bought it. So, apparently your insight is better fundamented than mine. What I can say is that, from that which I have been reading about Assassin's 3, Desmond might have a wider contribution to the story/game, rather than just sitting on the Animus and/or solving the occasional puzzle and fight the occasional Templar agent. Whether or not he will be exploring cities and carrying out missions though (much like Alta´r or Ezio), that I do not know and cannot say.

lukaszep
01-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Would be cool to see him using the shock blade :) (thought i'd just throw that out there)

RzaRecta357
01-18-2012, 11:42 PM
First off, raiden looks totally different now. Second... Even if he was the main star...he'd probably just be rocking his hoodie with maybe some special gear under it or a vest of some sort.

Kit572
01-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Even if he was the main star...he'd probably just be rocking his hoodie with maybe some special gear under it or a vest of some sort.

^^ this.

LightRey
01-19-2012, 10:59 AM
First off, raiden looks totally different now. Second... Even if he was the main star...he'd probably just be rocking his hoodie with maybe some special gear under it or a vest of some sort.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Maybe some lightweight adaptation of the same stuff Alta´r's armor was made from, but other than that I don't see him walking around with any metallic armor, as it'd be almost completely pointless in this day and age.

joelsantos24
01-19-2012, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't say pointless, the armor has a purpose and a point, which is to protect. The problem though, is wearing that same armor in broad daylight, because it would most certainly raise some red flags, to say the least. I've already said it but, if Desmond is indeed to play a wider role in the game (in the same perspective as Alta´r and Ezio), it would have to move from social stealth to physical stealth, or at least in his sequences.

LightRey
01-19-2012, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't say pointless, the armor has a purpose and a point, which is to protect. The problem though, is wearing that same armor in broad daylight, because it would most certainly raise some red flags, to say the least. I've already said it but, if Desmond is indeed to play a wider role in the game (in the same perspective as Alta´r and Ezio), it would have to move from social stealth to physical stealth, or at least in his sequences.

The thing is that metallic armor provides little protection against bullets.

GeneralTrumbo
01-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Well I don't think that they will load Desmond in armor. Although, it looks like Desmond could take the armor that Ezio dropped at Masyaf. And I think it is safe to say that Desmond will be in control of the bleeding effect in AC3.

joelsantos24
01-19-2012, 11:01 PM
The thing is that metallic armor provides little protection against bullets.
Depends on the metal. But the bottom line is that the use of a conventional armor (much like that one) would be essentially counterproductive, taking into consideration the main weapon of an assassin, which is to be inconspicuous, or to be visibly invisible, as I like to say.

LightRey
01-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Depends on the metal. But the bottom line is that the use of a conventional armor (much like that one) would be essentially counterproductive, taking into consideration the main weapon of an assassin, which is to be inconspicuous, or to be visibly invisible, as I like to say.

No, it really doesn't. No metal of wearable armor-thickness can stop a bullet.

naran6142
01-20-2012, 04:26 AM
it makes more sense to wear non-metal armor anyways. A simple bullet proof vest would be lighter and allow desmond to free run with more efficiency

PANiC_ATTACKER
01-20-2012, 10:24 AM
I think Desmond will and rightly should just remain the ANIMUS ***** he is!. I m not interested in playing as Desmond in the slightest and i do not think they will create a Desmond based game, it would defeat the point of Assassins Creed, we like playing the cool hooded guy with blades and swords! Desmond aint going to running around modern days Leeds or New York with a massive sword jumping off the trump tower?? , i want to play characters from the past, preferably before GUNS invented!. Once you start with a game set in the present its not the same game any more, it will feel completely different and essentially it will just be HITMAN. Granted i think Ubisoft would make a much better job of the Hitman franchise, but I like playing ancestors. I would prefer a new ANIMUS biatch! Im suprised they havent introduced a female character yet. Maybe a modern day relative of one of the female multiplayer characters?.

LightRey
01-20-2012, 11:23 AM
it makes more sense to wear non-metal armor anyways. A simple bullet proof vest would be lighter and allow desmond to free run with more efficiency

Exactly.

joelsantos24
01-20-2012, 12:38 PM
No, it really doesn't. No metal of wearable armor-thickness can stop a bullet.
Metal and ceramic plate armor did stop early firearms (e.g. muskets with musket balls), the problem was the introduction of rifled firearms which, in general, can penetrate plate armor. In contemporary time, ballistic fabrics like Kevlar would be successful in protecting Desmong from most firearms.

LightRey
01-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Metal and ceramic plate armor did stop early firearms (e.g. muskets with musket balls), the problem was the introduction of rifled firearms which, in general, can penetrate plate armor. In contemporary time, ballistic fabrics like Kevlar would be successful in protecting Desmong from most firearms.

Since we're talking about modern times and Kevlar isn't metal, I'd say I'm right.

joelsantos24
01-20-2012, 02:49 PM
I don't care if you're right or not, all that I care about is the fact that metal plate armors have been known to prevent rounds from pirecing it's surface, therefore protecting the person using the armors. It all comes down to the type and caliber of the ammunition used, nothing more.

PANiC_ATTACKER
01-20-2012, 03:04 PM
why the hell would Desmond even consider wearing metal armour!?, might sort of stand out in 2012 on the highstreet!

joelsantos24
01-20-2012, 03:17 PM
why the hell would Desmond even consider wearing metal armour!?, might sort of stand out in 2012 on the highstreet!
Exactly. That is what I have been saying all along. If Ubisoft really considers allowing Desmond to have a wider contribution in the game, that will inherently mean a complete revolution in the game dynamic. I have said so many times: we would witness social stealth being replaced with physical stealth, by definition (and necessity) all along.

LightRey
01-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't care if you're right or not, all that I care about is the fact that metal plate armors have been known to prevent rounds from pirecing it's surface, therefore protecting the person using the armors. It all comes down to the type and caliber of the ammunition used, nothing more.

That is completely irrelevant to the discussion. Of course with old guns some metals and/or alloys could stop a bullet fired from an old gun if it's hit at the right angle, but considering that situation is basically the same as considering someone throwing a bullet. No Templar is going to run around with ancient guns shooting at Desmond and even if they will Desmond isn't going to be running around in full-plate either. In modern-day conditions it is absolutely pointless to be wearing metal armor of any kind. It's heavy, doesn't stop bullets and there are lightweight, bullet-stopping alternatives.

Skuld_pt
01-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Well it might be too much for this kind of the game but "Terra Nova" armors look nice :)

http://fansandcritics.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/within.jpg

http://gndn.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/tng2.jpg

LightRey
01-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Well it might be too much for this kind of the game but "Terra Nova" armors look nice :)

http://fansandcritics.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/within.jpg

That actually looks quite plausible.

Skuld_pt
01-21-2012, 12:30 AM
That actually looks quite plausible.

Yes, I think so, but I believe many people won't like it

LightRey
01-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Yes, I think so, but I believe many people won't like it

Tbh, I don't think it looks much different from the current armors. I think something like this would be ideal for a modern-day assassin.

Skuld_pt
01-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Tbh, I don't think it looks much different from the current armors. I think something like this would be ideal for a modern-day assassin.

True, I would personally love it, there are female versions too, but can't find on google, UBISOFT HEAR US!

-EDIT-

The two guys on the background:
http://www.spoilertv.co.uk/images/cache/terra-nova/season-1/promotional-episode-photos/Episode%201.09%20-%20Vs./tn-ep109_sc35_jb-1892_595.jpg

Crappy image but it's enough to see the armor:
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsnpeePYmO1r4om7ao1_500.jpg

SlimeDynamiteD
01-21-2012, 08:32 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if they would implement the hookblade and hidden blade into a Swiss pocket knife.
These things have EVERYTHING

D.I.D.
01-21-2012, 10:36 AM
True, I would personally love it, there are female versions too, but can't find on google, UBISOFT HEAR US!

-EDIT-

The two guys on the background:
http://www.spoilertv.co.uk/images/cache/terra-nova/season-1/promotional-episode-photos/Episode 1.09 - Vs./tn-ep109_sc35_jb-1892_595.jpg (http://www.spoilertv.co.uk/images/cache/terra-nova/season-1/promotional-episode-photos/Episode%201.09%20-%20Vs./tn-ep109_sc35_jb-1892_595.jpg)

Crappy image but it's enough to see the armor:
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsnpeePYmO1r4om7ao1_500.jpg

It puts a bit of a dent in the whole 'chosen one' thing to have him in armour, especially manga-appeal high tech armour

kind of like seeing certain religious leaders being driven around in bulletproof cars

ú5 says he's covered head to foot in glowing runic lines before the end of AC3

joelsantos24
01-21-2012, 11:53 AM

It still defeats the purpose of the assassin, which is to be essentially inconspicuous. Or do you believe no one will notice (and be alarmed) with a man walking around a modern city looking like that?

LightRey
01-21-2012, 12:21 PM
It still defeats the purpose of the assassin, which is to be essentially inconspicuous. Or do you believe no one will notice (and be alarmed) with a man walking around a modern city looking like that?

You'd be surprised. Besides, it should be possible to hide most such armor under the clothes.

Skuld_pt
01-21-2012, 02:17 PM
You'd be surprised. Besides, it should be possible to hide most such armor under the clothes.

He is right, if they are on the streets they can have clothes over it, since the armor is light. When they are in missions or so can use only the armor....

joelsantos24
01-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Yeah, sure, clothes over armor such as that... It would not look conspicuous in the least.

LightRey
01-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Yeah, sure, clothes over armor such as that... It would not look conspicuous in the least.

You're exaggerating. If armor of such thickness is simply placed over relatively thin clothing, you could wear a sweater or a vest over it without anyone noticing.

Skuld_pt
01-21-2012, 05:58 PM
It wouldn't because they would be light and thin

crash3
01-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Just a standard bullet proof vest will do. I definitely dont want desmonds look ruined by armour

Skuld_pt
01-21-2012, 06:50 PM
IDK, I would like to see him with some kind of armor in the end of the game or so

joelsantos24
01-21-2012, 10:26 PM
It wouldn't because they would be light and thin
Your brilliant example was the armors used in that TV show. In this context, I stand by my words, clothing over that armor would look terribly wrong: first, because the person would look too volumous, so to speak, and second, it would be perceivable.

GlytchMeister
01-22-2012, 06:50 AM
What about that "dragonskin" armor, or whatever they call it? It's made overlapping ceramic disks and a bit of kevlar, and looks a bit like reptile scales. It's thin, relatively light, flexible and it doesn't clink and grind like metallic plate armor. It stops large and high-speed bullets without much ado, and would probably be quite useful against a sword or hammer... or those telescoping sticks the modern templars seemed so fond of.

That may be worth considering.

ShaneO7K
01-23-2012, 12:10 AM
I doubt Desmond will be customizable, he'll probably just stick to a default skin. And if there was anything to be added to him it would probably just be a light bullet proof vest under his clothes so that he doesn't stick out in a crowd, at least a little protection from gun fire and as little weight as possible so that he can still free run with ease and keep to a good speed.

In my opinion there is very little chance of seeing Desmond wearing skin tight suits with a huge sword on his back.

LightRey
01-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Your brilliant example was the armors used in that TV show. In this context, I stand by my words, clothing over that armor would look terribly wrong: first, because the person would look too volumous, so to speak, and second, it would be perceivable.

You do realize that that specific armor is worn over thick, loose fitting clothes, which are the primary contribution to that look, right?

LintonMildone
01-23-2012, 07:25 AM
In case you didn't know the armor in Terra Nova is motorcycle armor and if my memory is correct Desmond try to apply for a motorcycle license(which got him caught by the templars due to thumb print scaning) which means that Desmond might be able to travel across locations in a motorcycle since he sure as hell not going to be trotting next to cars on the streets with a horse. Now think about this for a second, Do think people are going to bat an eye on Desmond if he's wearing motorcycle armor WHILE he's just getting off his FREAKIN MOTORCYCLE in which you need to be wearing PROTECTIVE ARMOR when driving one.

Here some interesting picture links to help not only you but also the game developers if they we're to ever take a look at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-White-Leather-Motorcycle-Vest-Sleeveless-Jacket-429-New-All-Sizes-/310364346428

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-FOX-3TH-Raptor-Armor-Sports-Armor-Body-Protection-Safety-Jacket-/180765924109?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&vxp=mtr&hash=item6fc50a61eb

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/a/a0/Modern_hidden_blade.jpg

Now imagine desmond wearing the white leather vest(hopefully with blood red interior so it will be similar to Ezio's Brotherhood robes) worn over the motorcycle armor with the arm guards replace with those actually authenticly drawn 21-st century Hidden blade vambraces; Desmond will fit right in!!!
Oh and also watch this and be amazed!!!;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4mMe9W1rPk&list=FLyEPfIpdyPTnKhsqqIak46A&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Victory to the Assassins!!!!!!!!;)

LightRey
01-23-2012, 08:15 AM
In case you didn't know the armor in Terra Nova is motorcycle armor and if my memory is correct Desmond try to apply for a motorcycle license(which got him caught by the templars due to thumb print scaning) which means that Desmond might be able to travel across locations in a motorcycle since he sure as hell not going to be trotting next to cars on the streets with a horse. Now think about this for a second, Do think people are going to bat an eye on Desmond if he's wearing motorcycle armor WHILE he's just getting off his FREAKIN MOTORCYCLE in which you need to be wearing PROTECTIVE ARMOR when driving one.

Here some interesting picture links to help not only you but also the game developers if they we're to ever take a look at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-White-Leather-Motorcycle-Vest-Sleeveless-Jacket-429-New-All-Sizes-/310364346428

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-FOX-3TH-Raptor-Armor-Sports-Armor-Body-Protection-Safety-Jacket-/180765924109?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&vxp=mtr&hash=item6fc50a61eb

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/a/a0/Modern_hidden_blade.jpg

Now imagine desmond wearing the white leather vest(hopefully with blood red interior so it will be similar to Ezio's Brotherhood robes) worn over the motorcycle armor with the arm guards replace with those actually authenticly drawn 21-st century Hidden blade vambraces; Desmond will fit right in!!!
Oh and also watch this and be amazed!!!;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4mMe9W1rPk&list=FLyEPfIpdyPTnKhsqqIak46A&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Victory to the Assassins!!!!!!!!;)

Hey, that actually makes a lot of sense.

Skuld_pt
01-23-2012, 11:44 PM
That is awesome :D

LintonMildone
01-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Thank you all so much for aggreeing with my idea. Infact I created a simple picture of what Desmond might look like if he was wearing them all together:

http://monochromeblade.deviantart.com/#/d4nu525

Awesome right?;)