PDA

View Full Version : A crucial misgiving about the map pack.

thekarlone
01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
I have a doubt about the operation of the Mediterranean Traveler map pack. The doubt I have arises due to the system infrastructure of the matches of Revelations. An example:

I buy the pack and I'm in a match in Rome where two players also bought the pack. Ok, when the match ends there's a poll to vote the next map and game mode for the next match. Because I and two more players have the maps pack then it is assumed that the new maps might appear among the options. Imagine one of the new maps is chosen. Then, what happens?

a) All the 8 players plays in the new map. - if this is right, so why would I buy the pack if I can get into the maps if another player bought it?*
b) The players without the pack are ejected from the match. - if this is right, the user experience will be horrible for the players without the pack.

Then?

Ok, there's another option in order to avoid this problem, but makes another new: what if players with the Maps Pack only can play with other players who also purchased the pack. But if this is the right option, then it will make a little isolated group of these players, and it will get worse the matchmaking the game currently has. (I don't want this option but it's the most similar to the ACB system, then the most probably.)

What do you think, guys?

*It is different for the characters, because if you buy the characters pack you can customize them and you have the ability to choose them in a match. However (in this case), without buying the map pack you can have them completely.

Mc Dudes
01-17-2012, 04:29 PM
''but makes another new: what if players with the Maps Pack only can play with other players who also purchased the pack. But if this is the right option, then it will make a little isolated group of these players, and it will get worse the matchmaking the game currently has.''

It was like that in AC B and I really hope its not gonna be like that in AC R to!

thekarlone
01-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Neither do I.

Emvidasch
01-17-2012, 05:04 PM
1. Maps -> Should be free to maintain matchmaking

2. Characters -> Paid, since it won't make any difference to matchmaking

3. Game types -> Paid along with a change to the way one selects a game type. After a match you can only pick that game type again and vote for 3 maps, rather than game types and maps. This way, only those with the dlc game type can play that game with each other without excluding anyone in the unpaid gametypes when having to select the next map.

thekarlone
01-17-2012, 05:25 PM
I totally agree. The problem is solved with this alternative.

Kutter28
01-17-2012, 05:37 PM
This is a big concern with buying the map pack. I'm looking forward to getting the pack but if not a lot of people buy the pack, what will happen to my game play matching??? I wish they would give us more info on how it would work.

stingray10
01-17-2012, 06:48 PM
If there is but one DLC pack what does it matter? It is not like the 4 map pack split of ACB. i'm sorry if i'm not getting what people are saying here but with just one player split it won't matter?

CarnivalBox
01-17-2012, 06:56 PM
actually sting, it WILL matter. First of all, by the price of 9.99$, that's the same amount we got four characters (six if you include pre-order ones), single player missions, two modes and one map for. That's some serious overpricing right there, that will cause a lot of players to not buy the DLC because of the reason that they either don't want to or can't afford it. Second, splitting the playerbase just a little will still cause a minor split. This game already has so much problems with its matchmaking that it places you in a mode that you DID NOT choose, just because you sometimes can't connect to other modes. Ubisoft is just so bad at everything right now it's embarrassing.

Kombucho
01-17-2012, 08:11 PM
if there are people without the map pack , no new maps are in the vote options .

thekarlone
01-17-2012, 08:21 PM
if there are people without the map pack , no new maps are in the vote options .

"So I won't buy the pack because it is likely that at least one of the other 7 players have bought it". This is what many people will think.

Kombucho
01-17-2012, 08:29 PM
not like maps make the game play

thekarlone
01-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Yes, but if one of them has the pack, everyone can play the next match with a new map, even without buying the DLC.

lRushdown
01-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Sounds bad all around. To me it seems like the possibilities are:

-Allow the maps if anyone in the lobby has the DLC. Doesn't split the playerbase, but no point in buying the DLC if you can play the maps anyway.
-Allow the maps if everyone in the lobby has the DLC. Doesn't split the playerbase, but no point in buying since you'll rarely ever get to play the maps.
-Match you up only with other people who have/don't have the DLC. Splits the playerbase, terrible.

PezDspncr
01-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Sounds bad all around. To me it seems like the possibilities are:

-Allow the maps if anyone in the lobby has the DLC. Doesn't split the playerbase, but no point in buying the DLC if you can play the maps anyway.
-Allow the maps if everyone in the lobby has the DLC. Doesn't split the playerbase, but no point in buying since you'll rarely ever get to play the maps.
-Match you up only with other people who have/don't have the DLC. Splits the playerbase, terrible.

Personally...I don't like any of those options :\

rafiqul84
01-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Ubisoft need to clear this up ASAP

Spendalot
01-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Yeh, we've know about this upcoming DLC for ages now and even though we're only about a week away, we're still kinda in the dark about it.
I'm already leaning towards not getting it, but if they release it at a more reasonable price (and i mean STRAIGHT AWAY! Not a reduction in 2 months - by then i won't be bothered at all!!!) and it doesn't split the fanbase then i'll go for it.

I think there's more chance of it being that if one of the people in the lobby have the DLC, everyone will be able to play it. I'm not saying it's MY favourite option, but the devs will know how damaging splitting the playerbase was in Brotherhood AND we've already got the ability to use characters we haven't paid for in team modes (eg I don't have access to the Jester, but i've played as him when a team mate's chosen him - not the same situation, but similar).

GenKaidou
01-18-2012, 02:53 AM
I think what they would do is that if at least half the lobby has the DLC, then the maps will be playable.

In a full 8 player room, perhaps the new maps only become playable when 4 people have the DLC.

7 and 6 player, 3 people with DLC.

5 and 4 player, 2 people with DLC.

Maybe.

sirturmund
01-18-2012, 03:09 AM
Is a shame really. I was really looking forward to playing in Siena again and trying out some of the new maps, even though there is one of them that looks REALLY roofy. The way this is going it seems I won't be bothering to buy it no matter what they do. All options make it better for me to just sit back. If we can play on the maps as long as someone has them on the lobby then I will just hope some richer person than me bought it. If everyone in the lobby needs it, then it would rarely get played anyways. If it splits the player base the people with the DLC will have a headache finding matches.

I have been saying that the map DLCs should be free and players with an online connection should be forced to update the game, that way the player base is not separated at all. Charge for character DLC's and single player DLC's, and even new mode DLC's, but for maps to then create this problem is a shame.

metalgearso1971
01-18-2012, 10:02 AM
I have been saying that the map DLCs should be free and players with an online connection should be forced to update the game, that way the player base is not separated at all. Charge for character DLC's and single player DLC's, and even new mode DLC's, but for maps to then create this problem is a shame.

That would be something Ubi should do really.

thekarlone
01-18-2012, 03:05 PM
That would be something Ubi should do really.

Agreed.

swiftavenger212
01-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Ubisoft doesn't care. As long as they get enough people to buy it they are happy with it. If anything people will just turn off DLC like they did in ACB and continue to play the game.

Kogia
01-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Sadly I don't think they'll be bothered either, so long as enough people buy it (and too many people will buy without thinking).

I won't be buying it for the reasons mentioned already in this thread, maps should be free like Brotherhood, I bought all paid for dlc in ACB, give me skins and extra story modes and I'll pay, but maps need to be free dlc to keep the game together.

Just so everyone is clear why buying this dlc is a bad idea, it will either;

force you to only be able to play with others who have the dlc (significantly reduce and split the player base).

or you'll only get the maps if everyone in the match has the dlc, ie. unlikely.

or the least likely of all options is, if just one person has the dlc you'll get to play in the map anyway, so why buy it?

It's another badly thought out idea.

Rankya_94
01-19-2012, 02:53 AM
Sadly I don't think they'll be bothered either, so long as enough people buy it (and too many people will buy without thinking).

I won't be buying it for the reasons mentioned already in this thread, maps should be free like Brotherhood, I bought all paid for dlc in ACB, give me skins and extra story modes and I'll pay, but maps need to be free dlc to keep the game together.

Just so everyone is clear why buying this dlc is a bad idea, it will either;

force you to only be able to play with others who have the dlc (significantly reduce and split the player base).

or you'll only get the maps if everyone in the match has the dlc, ie. unlikely.

or the least likely of all options is, if just one person has the dlc you'll get to play in the map anyway, so why buy it?

It's another badly thought out idea.

You list the right reasons, on why I for one, am not buying it. c:

obliviondoll
01-19-2012, 05:16 AM
b) The players without the pack are ejected from the match. - if this is right, the user experience will be horrible for the players without the pack.
You missed part of the problem with this approach, which I learned thanks to Transformers: War for Cybertron using this system.

When the players without the pack are kicked out, if the player numbers drop far enough, the game resets back to searching for players - and with how that game had been made, it reset the map you'd be playing on, which ACB did when enough players dropped from a game to cause a reset also. Obviously, this makes the experience terrible for the players who DO buy the map pack as well as those who don't.

Honestly, this is EXACTLY why I ALWAYS said that MAP PACKS SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED FOR.

CHARGE FOR CHARACTERS, BUT GIVE FREE MAP PACKS.

It just makes sense.

indulgence82
01-19-2012, 07:02 AM
You missed part of the problem with this approach, which I learned thanks to Transformers: War for Cybertron using this system.

When the players without the pack are kicked out, if the player numbers drop far enough, the game resets back to searching for players - and with how that game had been made, it reset the map you'd be playing on, which ACB did when enough players dropped from a game to cause a reset also. Obviously, this makes the experience terrible for the players who DO buy the map pack as well as those who don't.

Honestly, this is EXACTLY why I ALWAYS said that MAP PACKS SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED FOR.

CHARGE FOR CHARACTERS, BUT GIVE FREE MAP PACKS.

It just makes sense.

Another great idea..... that will be ignored by the ubisoft sales and development teams.

Spendalot
01-22-2012, 01:53 AM
It baffles me as to why the developers didn't just release the game with only the new maps (including the upcoming Jerusalem and Imperial District) and then release the Brotherhood maps as free DLC - it makes more sense; new content for a new content, plus a nice gesture of free nostalgia maps added later to boost the map numbers.

Correct me if i'm wrong on this, but is it true that now we already have trophies in place for this DLC, they HAVE to charge a certain amount for the DLC? I read on a forum ages ago that Sony cap the number of trophies a DLC package is allowed to have, based on its price (thus preventing a company from releasing a very small DLC package with 52 trophies just to entice trophy hunters/trophy *****s into buying it).
Which, again - if true, would mean that regardless of how much we opposed this on forums/twitter/wherever, the price is set in stone and all we can hope for is that our objections will influence the developers' approach to FUTURE DLC after this next pack.

sirturmund
01-22-2012, 02:49 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong on this, but is it true that now we already have trophies in place for this DLC, they HAVE to charge a certain amount for the DLC? I read on a forum ages ago that Sony cap the number of trophies a DLC package is allowed to have, based on its price (thus preventing a company from releasing a very small DLC package with 52 trophies just to entice trophy hunters/trophy *****s into buying it).
Which, again - if true, would mean that regardless of how much we opposed this on forums/twitter/wherever, the price is set in stone and all we can hope for is that our objections will influence the developers' approach to FUTURE DLC after this next pack.

I too read something similar to this once. If that is the case, then no change will come to this DLC sadly.

I had a dream the other night that the day the DLC was released Ubisoft made this big "tournament" where as long as you signed up for it you got the DLC for free lol. That way they avoided splitting the player base too much and still made money from those who didn't take advantage of the opportunity. Of course, this won't happen but I woke up with a smile on my face the following morning.

thekarlone
01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Any news?

obliviondoll
01-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Any news?
Does "We almost never get any official news from Ubisoft that's any use" count as news?

If not... no.

Mr_Shade
01-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Does "We almost never get any official news from Ubisoft that's any use" count as news?

If not... no.
well there is this..

Having trouble accessing the Mediterranean Travellers Pack (DLC2)?

There are two ways to access your new content:

You can select PLAY NOW and you will be placed into a group playing with the new content if one is readily available. Keep in mind, in order to streamline matchmaking, if a match without DLC2 content is a better fit for you (based on things like NAT, ping, player level, etc.), you will be placed into that match.
If you want to guarantee that you will play DLC2 content (or test out whether or not you have the content available to you), you can go to CUSTOM PLAY and select the EXTRA CONTENT MAPS playlist from the Simulation Category submenu. This will ensure that you are able to play with DLC2 content.

IrosoMeyi186
01-24-2012, 08:45 PM
well there is this..

Having trouble accessing the Mediterranean Travellers Pack (DLC2)?

There are two ways to access your new content:
You can select PLAY NOW and you will be placed into a group playing with the new content if one is readily available. Keep in mind, in order to streamline matchmaking, if a match without DLC2 content is a better fit for you (based on things like NAT, ping, player level, etc.), you will be placed into that match.
If you want to guarantee that you will play DLC2 content (or test out whether or not you have the content available to you), you can go to CUSTOM PLAY and select the EXTRA CONTENT MAPS playlist from the Simulation Category submenu. This will ensure that you are able to play with DLC2 content.

And stand by for the Bug notifications to pile up.