PDA

View Full Version : New Member With Old Dumb Question

Mark621
01-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi All!

First post and all that. Big WWII aviation student. Member of several forums, modeling, books, history, and now, IL2.

Been a simmer since early-mid 90's but took some time off and getting back into it with IL2.

With that being said, I have a question that has been killing me since the day I downloaded the game (the day before the forums went down).

How do I takeoff?? For that matter, how do I take control of the plane in training??

Been trying to brush up on everything but can't figure out how to take off!!!

Dumber questions may have been asked but I don't know by whom or where.

Thanks for any assistance and I look forward to hanging around.

:p

redhornet07
01-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Ok, first thing is WELCOME! IL2 has a controls screen where you assign commands for everything, keyboard, throttle and joystick. In order to take off you have to turn your engine on, throttle up and then release chocks (release chocks is something you must assign to a key on the keyboard or a button on your controller). After that you should be able to get off the ground. IL2 is quite complex and you'll need some time to learn the basics.

Hope this helps and keep asking questions!

~S~

AndyJWest
01-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Firstly, to clarify, are you referring to classic IL-2 (1946 etc), or to the new IL-2 Cliffs of Dover? If it is the latter, I'd ask in the Ubi CloD forum http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/257-IL2-Cliffs-of-Dover or preferably on the IC CloD forum (it gets more use): http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=189

If it is classic IL-2 you are referring to, then to answer the second question first, you can't take over the plane in the training tracks - they never got this to work properly, and removed the option. :(

As for taking off, where exactly is the problem? Can you start the engine, move the controls etc? Some planes are a lot more forgiving than others, and it is actually easier to start in the air (using the Quick Mission Builder - with no enemy aircraft about) and learn the basics of control there first, before worrying about taking off and landing.

Some useful links:
Bearcat's Nugget's Guide: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/610610-A-Nugget-s-Guide-To-Getting-Off-The-Ground - almost everything you need to know about setting up and patching IL-2, and much else besides.
Zeus-Cat's Straight from the farm campaign: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2147 - this is a from-basics training campaign, and highly recommended. You may have to register at the site (Mission4Today) to download, but it is full of useful stuff.

Mark621
01-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

When I say I can't takeoff, I mean that I can't find an option that puts my on the runway to begin! Quick Mission builder always starts me in the skies. I found on the control panel where it says 'Takeoff/Landing' switching this either way doesn't help. So far, if I want to takeoff, I have to start a mission, land, taxi, turn around, and then begin my takeoff routine. I know there has to be a way to put me starting on the ground.

Oh, I am running IL2 1946 with UP3 (not sure of the rules regarding mentioning that).

Good to know about the training part. At least it isn't just me! Thanks again.

AndyJWest
01-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Ah, I see. You need to set 'Scramble' in the QMB to start on the ground - left hand side of the screen, second item up. This will put you at the start of the runway.

Regarding mods, the rules have got a lot more relaxed here, and we can 'mention' them - just not provide links, or give advice regarding them.

Mark621
01-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Thank you!!

That was it. Do you have any idea how much time I spent looking for that? Fun fact, I used The Nugget's Guide and got everything downloaded and patched. The next day the forums went down for maintenance. So I patiently waited to ask that questions.

Let's see if I have anymore, while I am here. Hmmmm......no, not really. I guess there are some planes you can't trim perfectly (mainly German fighters)? I can trim the elevators easy enough but some, like the 109 and 190 can't be perfectly trimmed on the ailerons.

Thanks so much!

AndyJWest
01-14-2012, 01:50 AM
There's a good reason for that. They don't have aileron trim. :p This is historically correct. In fact it is more usual to trim a single-engined propeller-driven aircraft with the rudder than the ailerons - but the Bf 109 and Fw 190 don't have that either... You'll find that some planes have 3-axis trim, some have 2, some have only 1, and a couple have none at all. Awkward, but authentic. Regarding German fighters, Bf 109 pilots were reputed to have an overdeveloped leg (can't remember which one) from having to hold the rudder pedals to counteract sideslip... :eek:

Mark621
01-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Yeah........rudder.......that's what I meant. :rolleyes:

Nah, I like the authenticity. The biggest draw. Getting used to the fundamentals again and then plan to wade into proper engine controls, guessing that is why AI planes with less performance than mine can outrun me or at least keep their distance.

I have read of the 109's sideslip but not the monicker about their leg. Seems similar to B-24 pilots and their left arm (think it was left).

Learn something new everyday!

Heliopause
01-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Hello Mark,

I dont fly off-line a lot but if I do I usaully select:
-Multi player
-Create new server
-Create (button)
-Missions select (choses a map)

On the chosen map I can than pick an airplane and taxi to the runway, take-off, etc...
But thats just my way of doing it if I want to fly around a bit.

Tully__
01-14-2012, 12:34 PM
If it is classic IL-2 you are referring to, then to answer the second question first, you can't take over the plane in the training tracks - they never got this to work properly.
It did work properly in v1.0 of the original (2001 release) IL2 Sturmovik. After v1.0 the training tracks didn't replay right because they used what were basically .trk files and flight model updates pooched the replays.

In later versions of the game they switched to .ntrk for training tracks to solve the replay issue but as a result had to remove the option to take over in flight altogether.