PDA

View Full Version : Lock Tailwheel!

ytareh
10-17-2005, 03:48 PM
If youre as noobish as me you'll be wondering why you cant take off since the 4.01 patch without veering to one side uncontrollably ,despite having the rudder on full lock.Well tonight I discovered "Lock Tailwheel" and for any one else as wet behind the ears as me it will make take offs a lot less frustrating!!!

ytareh
10-17-2005, 03:48 PM
If youre as noobish as me you'll be wondering why you cant take off since the 4.01 patch without veering to one side uncontrollably ,despite having the rudder on full lock.Well tonight I discovered "Lock Tailwheel" and for any one else as wet behind the ears as me it will make take offs a lot less frustrating!!!

MEGILE
10-17-2005, 03:52 PM
I only botherd to map Lock tailwheel to a key when 4.01 was released.

vocatx
10-17-2005, 04:36 PM
If you treat this as a SIM and not a "game", it is fairly rare to need to lock the tail wheel. In a real aircraft you don't slam the throttle to full power, you advance it slowly. I rarely use tailwheel lock, even on take-off from a carrier. About the only time I use tailwheel lock is in a stiff cross wind.

Feel free to start flaming me again....

major_setback
10-17-2005, 04:43 PM
I think you might also be suffering from the wind. Some missions I just have to exit....storm in a Hurricane...It just spins on the ground.

Archangel2980
10-17-2005, 04:46 PM
I had that happen to me too spinning on the runway I was like WTF!

Dew-Claw
10-17-2005, 05:26 PM
try decreasing your prop pitch to about 75% for takeoff and you can control the roll-out better due to the slower acceleration.

danjama
10-17-2005, 05:38 PM
I am like Megile, only mapped it after 4.01. Before that it was useless.

Kuna15
10-17-2005, 05:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:
I only botherd to map Lock tailwheel to a key when 4.01 was released. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't laugh I actually thought that Lock Tailwheel is some kind of function similar to Release Chocks (preventing your aircraft to move=lock).
Once when I landed on some hill I figured out that isn't true. :vhap

When 401 was introduced I soon start to use that 'function'.

danjama
10-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Hey Kuna u cruise the forums after a session on HL too eh? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Freelancer-1
10-17-2005, 05:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vocatx:
If you treat this as a SIM and not a "game", it is fairly rare to need to lock the tail wheel. In a real aircraft you don't slam the throttle to full power, you advance it slowly. I rarely use tailwheel lock, even on take-off from a carrier. About the only time I use tailwheel lock is in a stiff cross wind.

Feel free to start flaming me again.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No flame from me, vocatx. I'm on your side.

With the proper application of throttle you rarely need to lock the tailwheel. As for carrier take offs. IMO, it's actually harder with the tailwheel locked. Especially when the spawn is above the deck and you do the little "drop & bounce" as you unchock.

I should say that rudder pedals are a definite asset here.

Kuna15
10-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Check PM dan.

danjama
10-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Checked it. The "material" is downloaded. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Cheers

Bongokid
10-17-2005, 06:54 PM
In the same kind of mood :

D.... it ! i can't bloody maneuver this plane on ground, full left rudder and full throtle and it doesn't turn !....hmmmm..yes i had the tailwheel locked http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Bongokid

SeaFireLIV
10-17-2005, 07:06 PM
With 4.01 and rudder pedals you seriously have to lock tailwheel, unless the aircraft has no tailwheel (like the I16). Luckily the I16 is a plane I`ve flown so much I can take off with that quite easily even with pedals and 4.01!

AlGroover
10-17-2005, 07:36 PM
In bad weather sometimes there's nothing to do but hit the 'A' key.