PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so?

Foehammer88
08-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Ok, so when the torpedoes bounce off hulls not because they are duds, but because of a real bad angle of impact, why do they turn off the engine and sink?? I had a couple times where if a torp kept going, it would've hit another ship, but that wouldn't happen. And yes, i used impact because of storms.

Foehammer88
08-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Ok, so when the torpedoes bounce off hulls not because they are duds, but because of a real bad angle of impact, why do they turn off the engine and sink?? I had a couple times where if a torp kept going, it would've hit another ship, but that wouldn't happen. And yes, i used impact because of storms.

Dominicrigg
08-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Sometimes they can bounce off and keep going, and this is a dud still. The torpedo has "Whiskers" which you will see if you look at it after you fired it. These are supposed to make it explode even with slanting hits but they didnt work very well.

The reason it stops many times is because its broken by the impact, they are not super invincible. When bombers drop them into the water (a different type i know) they have to drop them very low or again the impact would break them basically.

Imagine you running into something at 30 mph or more! I think you would sink too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

rls669
08-25-2005, 06:54 PM
What I hate is that running 2m under the keel will activate the magnetic detonator, but hitting a ship at a bad angle won't. You'd think it would explode 2m from the side of the ship but it just bounces off.

Qbeesh800
08-25-2005, 06:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rls669:
What I hate is that running 2m under the keel will activate the magnetic detonator, but hitting a ship at a bad angle won't. You'd think it would explode 2m from the side of the ship but it just bounces off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why we still need 1.5

Dominicrigg
08-26-2005, 06:03 AM
No we dont, well we do but not for that. Magnetic doesnt mean it attatches itself to the ship or feels the side of the ship.

It doesnt mean the torp is magnetic, it means it explodes when it feels the magnetic field underneath the boat. If it was set sense it at the sides it would be exploding even more often on the way to the enemy ship.

You can lessen these effects by switching off duds, if they are annoying.

Hawggy
08-26-2005, 12:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
You can lessen these effects by switching off duds, if they are annoying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was under the impression that "duds" are the torps that just sink after you launch them - the engine never engages, etc. Those torps that bounce off the hull @ certain angles are NOT duds - The whiskers on 40's era German torps were not functioning properly during early war.

Besides - the best hit you can get on a ship is right under the keel. Most torps I launch never touch the target, but come within a half meter or so. Even in storms, it's a better idea to use Mag warheads - at least you don't have to get a 90 degree angle on the ship, and you know it'll trigger (unless it swims right under the targ!!).

Lukey__b
08-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Hawggys right, for the most part. There were duds which just didnt explode for various reasons.

And the magnetic sensormajig thing, I believe wasnt right on the nose of the torp, I think it was a little way back, well it was somewhere so that it would only go off with somin above it. This is for the reason you are stating, the torp would explode 2metres away from the side of the hull, which would do alot less damage than it exploding on impact.

the_rydster
08-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Actually I just had one bounce of the side of a cargo and carry on going (unfortunately not towards a target though!).

Normally they do stop though. I agree this is probably due to damage.

Although I am not sure exactly how WW2 magnetic fuses were actually designed (but I am interested if anyone knows), I know they were able to sense the change in the earths magnetic field strength caused by presence of the ships steel stucture. The reason they do not seem to explode magnetically when they hit the side of the ships is that the magnetic distortion is not as strong here as it is when directly under the hull where there is steel mass above, and effectivly in front, behind, left and right. Of course it would be possible to design the fuse to be more sensitive and trigger when it hits the side but then you would loose the ability to go right underneath!

I suspect these fuses used one axial magnetometer. The voltage from this magnetometer would be dependant upon torpedo azimuth so would be primed once the torp was on its desired gyro heading. Some logic would then be required to look for a voltage change that exceeded a certain threshold. It is really quite complicated because the earths magnetic field strength and dip angle is not only irregular but dynamic. The sub creates a distortion as well as the ships and the torpedo azimuth (heading) has a big effect as well as that fact that it is spinning too! Also your torpedo would not be able to have much normal steel inside either!