PDA

View Full Version : P-38L Tips

Sama51
12-31-2005, 03:16 PM
How do I put the performance of the P-38L to its best use? I'm starting to get a good feel of the plane and its characteristics. I was hoping someone could throw out some tips on how to use its strengths and how to avoid getting its weaknesses taken advantage of.

I'm particularly interested in how to fly it against 109s and 190s.

Thanks in advance.

Sama51
12-31-2005, 03:16 PM
How do I put the performance of the P-38L to its best use? I'm starting to get a good feel of the plane and its characteristics. I was hoping someone could throw out some tips on how to use its strengths and how to avoid getting its weaknesses taken advantage of.

I'm particularly interested in how to fly it against 109s and 190s.

Thanks in advance.

VW-IceFire
12-31-2005, 03:24 PM
Flying a P-38 against other fighters is a tough proposition. You always want to make sure you've got a good wingmate looking out for you. There's a few tricks you can pull if you're fighting 1 vs 1 against a 109 or a 190.

1) High speed dive and break - If you have alot of altitude or alot of speed you can use your very fast dive to lure the 109 (doesn't work as well against the 190 except in certain situations) into a high speed fight. Drop your dive breaks, drop your throttle right back, and pull hard. Try to keep from blacking out. But he should go screaming past. This is mostly a defensive manuever.

2) High AoA fight - Sometimes 190 and 109 pilots will try and go nose high to either follow you or beat you in a fight. The thing is that the P-38 can do a high angle of attack (a high nose in a near stall situation) move like no other WWII fighter. There is no torque if both engines are operating normally. You can stand on your nose, drop your combat flaps, and wait for the other guy to stall. I wouldn't do this if he's on your tail but if you're in a tight scissors or something like that you can outlast his stall and then drop in behind.

3) Try and not get shot or attract alot of attention. As the P-38 is big, it attracts attention, and right now its DM is exceptionally weak and many of its control redundancies work against it in the current DM model. Try and not get hit and keep your plane operating as best you can...control loss can be incurred by a single bullet in 4.02.

4) Use combat flaps to aid in manuevers. The P-38 has a special kind of flap that increases the surface area of the wing (and thus increases lift) for very little drag penatly. Most aircraft don't have this feature (only the Ki-84 and a couple of others have this) so a little combat flap can let you turn inside FW190s easily and hold the best turning 109s in a turn.

5) Against the Japanese the P-38 almost always has a speed advantage. Use that advantage against them by staying fast and above them only turning to attack and then flying away.

6) Ground attack in the P-38L is absolutely superb thanks to the 10xHVAR rockets. Don't discount its ability as a fighter-bomber.

BfHeFwMe
12-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Fly it as if your going to have a 100% tail failure, because you will. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

BSS_CUDA
12-31-2005, 04:31 PM
read through this thread.
38 tips and history compared to Real Life (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/4991035983)

it will tell you what the 38 is capable of IRL and Ingame. look me up on HL sometime and I'll give you some tips. I fly mostly Warclouds with full cockpit

also follow McGuires 3 rules of combat and you should be OK in the 38.

1. never turn more than 90 degree
2. never fight below 300 MPH. (be careful the 38 is not modeled correct and around 380MPH you start losing elevator authority)
3. never fight with drop tanks on

Snuffly
12-31-2005, 04:46 PM
I fly the 109 a lot, and some things ive noticed when fighting the p-38 is that it can turn on a dime with its flaps down (not sure which level)

Diving with it, is extremely good maneuver. (ive found myself reaching the speed where my ailereons and elevator are rock solid. (fortunately u can use trim to get out of it though)

It climbs realls good, even against a 109.

The only thing that I see is really something to be worried about is its roll rate, and its so darn big.

You can easily shoot it at about as far as you can see it... well not that far but prty darn far.

So when I find a p-38 on my 6, I'll usually try and stay slow (i think thats where the roll rate for the p-38 sux) and I'll scissor it and wrap it to death. And by the time its in front of me and its picking up speed, its allready so big I could close my eyes and still not miss.

theres my 2 cents

BSS_CUDA
12-31-2005, 04:55 PM
1 main thing about the 38

IT IS NOT A SPITFIRE do not fly it as such

Sama51
01-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the tips guys! I seem to have problems whipping this bird around like you guys describe though, at a speed where the elevator isn't starting to lock up, when I try to turn it likes to buffet a lot. Is there a prime speed where this bird likes to fly best?

Also, I was curious Cuda, as you seem to be the Lightning Jockey around here, if you had any tips for rudder joystick settings. Perhaps the P-38 just has a unique rudder which takes some getting used to, but with the guns on the nose I have a hard time lineing up a shot when I get this beast on somebody's six. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif I'm sure its going to take experience to fix that element, but the 38s rudder feels different than most and was just curious if there was a setting which made it easier.

PBNA-Boosher
01-01-2006, 01:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snuffly:
So when I find a p-38 on my 6, I'll usually try and stay slow (i think thats where the roll rate for the p-38 sux) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of the P-38's best maneuverability happens in its slow speed range. It's acceleration and high AoA make it a deadly adversary at slow speed. To try that, Snuffly, is suicide.

Snuffly
01-01-2006, 02:37 AM
well, then ive been up only against lame pilots in the past then, becuase this always seemed to work. I even tried it out myself, at slow speeds the p-38 cannot roll, simple as that.

And scissors is all about roll

F19_Ob
01-01-2006, 04:12 AM
REFERING TO ONLINE PLAY

To get the p38 roll faster in the beginning of a turn u can kick hard rudder in the direction u want to turn.
Real pilots used this often.
The reason is that the p38 will enter the turn too slowly otherwise and most enemies chasing u will have time to shoot u down before u can start turning.

In real life the p38 could climb steeply in a spiral or steep climbing turn at slow speed because there was no torque and according to some pilots no single engined plane could follow them because the toque threw the single ngined out of the turn at so slow speed.
That is however not so in the sim and a 109 can outperform any climbing maneuver.

The best type of evasive turn to me seem to be to do the above described quick roll with aid of rudder and go in a steep turn, spiraling downwards a bit with dive brakes enabled.
It shouldn't be a continuos spiral, and as Cuda meant, only turn for a short period, because when the energy is low it cant compete with the 109 or Japanese planes for long.

This downward turn has enabled me to evade multiple 109 attacks, whereas any upward turn will be matched more often.
In the sim the p38 really shouldn't be able to gain the advantage over a 109 in a dogfight, but it has sometimes happened.
I have sometimes won a fight against a 109 but have never had problems with p38's when flying the 109.

In real life the p38 could pull contrails in a steep turn in slow speed almost until touchdown while landing, wich no US plane could match, and probably no German either.

The Main problem in Europe with the real P-38 was that U had to be an expert to use it in combat against German fighters. The main reason being that u couldn't run away as easily as against Zero's or Ki43 or Ki61.

A good p38 pilot can outturn and outloop a Fw190, but a good fw pilot may outscissor the p38, so a fight between these two often becomes more equal and interesting than with the 109.

Well, a few thoughts

Ugly_Kid
01-01-2006, 05:12 AM
Except for the rolling it is very similar to FW. Get a good wingie to clean your tail. Zeroes are easy meat this way - we were three on coms and I think we cleared the map in about 6 minutes on was it Zeros_vs_Wildcat server. One pass on their airfield and then we dragged and bagged all their airborne zeros - we were just shaking heads afterwards.

If you're alone stay high and stay fast. It has a very good acceleration so use this ALWAYS add the vertical component into close fights - slow down and accelerate, hammerheads, chandelles, yo-yos that'S the trick - even rolling scissors will do but in horizontal scissors you're cut into shreds in no time even by FW due to very notable roll disadvantage. So any of your smarter opponents will try to bring you slow and horizontal and scissor you...