PDA

View Full Version : "Destroyed by Flooding"

BlueHawk_1
04-18-2006, 09:50 AM
I just finished playing my 4th patrol. Got depth charged off Gibraltar. I was getting bored and there wasn't much merchant traffic, and no convoys. I decided to head into Gibraltar to piss some destroyers off, and to sink some merchants coming out of the port. The weather got bad though, foggy and rainy; couldn't see a thing. I decided to stop and wait a few days for the weather to clear. I waited and waited. Nothing happened. I decided to head into Gibraltar anyways, which I knew would be a bad idea. Destroyer found me in the fog, I had to dive like crazy. The U-Boat was badly damaged, I didn't think the destroyer would find me in the fog, so I surfaced for repairs. While the crew was repairing the boat, I was looking at damage reports and repair times. By the time the Watch Crew spotted the destroyer in an attack run, it was to late. I dived again, but this time for good. I didn't have time to turn or dive any deeper. The charges exploded near the U-Boat. The deck and flak guns were destroyed, conning tower damaged, aft torpedo room damaged, both periscopes destroyed. It was a mess. The boat was flooding badly. U-78 sunk from 15 meteres too about 110 meteres due to flooding. I couldn't get the crew to seal the leaks. They only fixed the compartments. I blew the tanks and came to periscope depth. By now the flooding had pretty much consumed U-78, it sank again, to the bottom this time!

How can I get the repair teams to work on the flooding and not the damaged compartments?

Thanks!

BlueHawk_1
04-18-2006, 09:50 AM
I just finished playing my 4th patrol. Got depth charged off Gibraltar. I was getting bored and there wasn't much merchant traffic, and no convoys. I decided to head into Gibraltar to piss some destroyers off, and to sink some merchants coming out of the port. The weather got bad though, foggy and rainy; couldn't see a thing. I decided to stop and wait a few days for the weather to clear. I waited and waited. Nothing happened. I decided to head into Gibraltar anyways, which I knew would be a bad idea. Destroyer found me in the fog, I had to dive like crazy. The U-Boat was badly damaged, I didn't think the destroyer would find me in the fog, so I surfaced for repairs. While the crew was repairing the boat, I was looking at damage reports and repair times. By the time the Watch Crew spotted the destroyer in an attack run, it was to late. I dived again, but this time for good. I didn't have time to turn or dive any deeper. The charges exploded near the U-Boat. The deck and flak guns were destroyed, conning tower damaged, aft torpedo room damaged, both periscopes destroyed. It was a mess. The boat was flooding badly. U-78 sunk from 15 meteres too about 110 meteres due to flooding. I couldn't get the crew to seal the leaks. They only fixed the compartments. I blew the tanks and came to periscope depth. By now the flooding had pretty much consumed U-78, it sank again, to the bottom this time!

How can I get the repair teams to work on the flooding and not the damaged compartments?

Thanks!

Virtual_Adept
04-18-2006, 10:22 AM
As far as SH3 is concerned, they are doing both simultaneously. Although, the flooding control tends to take alot longer unless you have an excellent repair team (fill the eficciency bar up as much as you can, even if it's full, add more people till the team is full). Be aware that you can have them move from one compartment to another to control flooding over thew whole boat. This requires that ytou babysit them and switch compartments every so often (repair a little here...then a little there...). Once you get the flooding under control there will still be water in the affected compartment, you can pump this pout later by having the repair team assigned to that compartment.

BlueHawk_1
04-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Ok, thanks. I was pretty sure the U-Boat could have been saved if the flooding was a priority to the repair team.

Peter-E.-Cremer
04-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Hi
And if you fill all the compartment with crew you can repair even faster it happen to me severals times that I forget (http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif was concern with other things )to put some crew there and the flood was not clear out and when I put there some crew they take ou the water from that compartment hope that this help you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

BlueHawk_1
04-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Ok, I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the help!

Mittelwaechter
04-18-2006, 05:45 PM
plus: repair the con first, the main pump is in there!

Have at least two officers with mechs qualification. One commanding the repair team and one for additional jumping through compartments as needed.
Qualify three or more petty officers for mechanics - they'll make your day!
Put them into the repair team and fill it up with crew/other petty officers.

Remaining crew/petty officers/officers into flooded compartments!
All hands fight the flooding!

Try to stay at periscope depth - the deeper you go the more water comes in.
Every hit on "emergency surface" uses 10% of compressed air. If you are going down, repeat the command five times for example to blow more ballast.

BueJack
04-18-2006, 05:54 PM
hey Mittelwaechter
Your sig looks good for the screenie competition ?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

StgShultz
04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Could done with that bit of advise the other day. After a depth charge attack I lost the use of my rear dive planes and some flooding. Press E once, full power and I slowly sank with a 20% nose pitch upwards.

Mittelwaechter
04-18-2006, 06:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BueJack:
hey Mittelwaechter
Your sig looks good for the screenie competition ?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe - big waves mod from timetraveller, smoke mod from ??? and gauss function from photo shop!

http://www.military-art.com/images/dhm_571_small.jpg

http://www.military-art.com

Virtual_Adept
04-18-2006, 07:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mittelwaechter:

Have at least two officers with mechs qualification. One commanding the repair team and one for additional jumping through compartments as needed.

Every hit on "emergency surface" uses 10% of compressed air. If you are going down, repeat the command five times for example to blow more ballast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Likely you mean officers and POs with repair quals. Although, I find it best to mix 'em. Two or more officers with both mechs and repair. Three or four POs with mechs, and one or two POs with repair.

paulhager
04-21-2006, 07:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BlueHawk_1:

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would normally give 4 of the officers the repair specialty along with 4 warrant officers. Four senior warrant officers with repair capability will fill the green bar for damage control.

That always worked pretty well for me.

rls669
04-21-2006, 07:48 PM
One officer and one warrant (both dc qualified) will fill the green bar if they have a decent amount of experience.

lwaun
04-23-2006, 02:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mittelwaechter:

Every hit on "emergency surface" uses 10% of compressed air. If you are going down, repeat the command five times for example to blow more ballast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

another thing to do when your sub starts sinking with the bow angled down is to reverse engines. I was sinking after a DC attack and no amount of changing the depth meter would stop the boats dive. Then I changed the engines to full reverse and the boat started to reverse and I was able to get to 30 meters and then level out and regain control of the boats course.