PDA

View Full Version : hi guys just bought 1946

broseybrose
07-10-2008, 09:53 AM
ive ran FSX into the ground, but this game is pretty confusing. i mean, the 'missions' arent laid out so clearly. i just started a pilot career, picked finland cause it was first on the list (im assuming those are all different campaigns) and started flying. i managed to stay with the pack and even bring down an enemy fighter. much more exhilirating than landing a 747 at telluride.

i know about the site 'A Nuggets Guide to Getting Off the Ground' and theres some great info in there, but i was wondering what kinda tips youd have for a newb like me? maybe some particularly fun missions to download, or mods?

i have a saitek aviator. i keep the attack buttons default. 5-6: flaps up/down 7-8: engine start/landing gear toggle 9-10: brakes/airbrakes 11-12: elevator trim + / elevator trim -

and thanks! also, what does HOTAS control mean?

broseybrose
07-10-2008, 09:53 AM
ive ran FSX into the ground, but this game is pretty confusing. i mean, the 'missions' arent laid out so clearly. i just started a pilot career, picked finland cause it was first on the list (im assuming those are all different campaigns) and started flying. i managed to stay with the pack and even bring down an enemy fighter. much more exhilirating than landing a 747 at telluride.

i know about the site 'A Nuggets Guide to Getting Off the Ground' and theres some great info in there, but i was wondering what kinda tips youd have for a newb like me? maybe some particularly fun missions to download, or mods?

i have a saitek aviator. i keep the attack buttons default. 5-6: flaps up/down 7-8: engine start/landing gear toggle 9-10: brakes/airbrakes 11-12: elevator trim + / elevator trim -

and thanks! also, what does HOTAS control mean?

b2spirita
07-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Hi!

HOTAS is hands on throttle and stick, heres a link explaining-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOTAS

Your best bet is to download a campaign like 'straight from the farm', a beginers training campaign from a mission4today.(theres tonnes of other stuff on there too) Otherwise just practise trimming and use of radiatior in the QMG, it worked for me!

It sounds lik you are already pretty good and experienced so my advice is simply to practice.

GIAP.Shura
07-10-2008, 10:11 AM
HOTAS means Hands On Throttle And Stick, like this (http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/peripherals/saitek_x52/).

As far as mods go, I wouldn't worry about those just yet. There is plenty to deal with learning to fly these beasts without tinkering under the cowling too.

You are quite correct in that the interface for this sim is not particularly user friendly. There are a lot of high quality user made campaigns out there. Pick a plane type (or campaign) and have a browse on mission4today. Without an idea of your field of interest it is quite hard to make any recommendations.

Mainly, I would say check out all the links in the Nugget's Guide, and if you have a specific question, don't hesitate to ask in here.

Welcome to the forums. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

broseybrose
07-10-2008, 10:17 AM
awesome. thanks for the help, guys!

M_Gunz
07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by broseybrose:
i managed to stay with the pack and even bring down an enemy fighter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then you're very advanced compared to the average new IL2 player.

Blindman-
07-10-2008, 11:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i was wondering what kinda tips youd have for a newb like me? maybe some particularly fun missions to download, or mods?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to this thread for info on some Training Missions:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/8811037156

Welcome aboard.

Xiolablu3
07-10-2008, 11:54 AM
My advice would be to get online whenever you feel like taking hte plunge.

If you think single player is good, then online will blow you away.

Download Hyperlobby and join a server http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
07-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Hit the Nugget's Guide in my sig...

scaredycat1
07-12-2008, 02:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by broseybrose:

and thanks! also, what does HOTAS control mean? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, you have already got some good advice from all above, this is a great little program that is simple to use to set your joystick up with.
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1021
Welcome, and have fun.
ps, also alot of other great stuff there, campains and stuff.

WTE_Galway
07-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I presume you are playing the offline dynamic missions ?

A few suggestions ...

1. Try a few different campaigns to see what you prefer. In some campaigns you start ahead of the game with the upperhand (for example most german fighter and JABO) and the enemy catches up later in the war, in others you start struggling (russian or US) but eventually get the upperhand. Also some people prefer fighter style campaigns others prefer flying bombers and yet others like the fighter bomber style. my favorite built in campoaign is the german 109 JABO campaign.

2. If your not using one get a trackIR ... its an essential tool in this game. Helps your SA in combat immensely and also reduces the tendency to CFIT substantially.