PDA

View Full Version : Mage town

Sanctus91
12-30-2010, 04:52 AM
Please make it winter themed like in heroes 3, it looks so beautiful that way + that beautiful song that h3 had fitted perfectly

Sanctus91
12-30-2010, 04:52 AM
Please make it winter themed like in heroes 3, it looks so beautiful that way + that beautiful song that h3 had fitted perfectly

D.Jaskowski
12-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Actually I hope they don't. Heroes V's Academy was the best designed faction so far. Beutiful structures, great units, varied in many ways. Loved it absolutely, and would like to see it converted into what it was before.

kodial79
12-30-2010, 10:10 AM
H5 Academy was nothing less than perfect, visually stunning + best theme IMHO.

H3 Tower was horribly misplaced, I dunno what Nagas and Genies were looking for in snowy mountain tops, really....

SandroTheMaster
12-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Not to mention that cold climate have nothing to do with high-intellectualized nations. Who the cold remembers us of? Vikings. Known for their high technological and philosophical accomplishments, right?

The sands work better. Babylon was a freaking technology powerhouse. The middle-ages Islam world was at the apex of all sciences. It works well to have the academy represented as such.

On the other hand... it was a interesting and original twist. If only they had actually worked upon it in Heroes 3 and gave it a fleshed out story as to why the wizards were in the snowy terrain. Even weirder because in Might and Magic VII they were in the desert, so it was quite dissonant...

Destruction3402
12-30-2010, 07:35 PM
I would love to see a winter/mountain-themed mage town (aka Tower in h3), but an Arabian/Persian-themed mage town would do just as fine for me.

That said I didn't like the shape of Academy in H5, being circular and everything floating in the air, so I hope that it doesn't bear too many similarities with it.

I'm really eager to see the fifth town!

GoranXII
12-30-2010, 11:49 PM
That's a good point Sandro, right up until you look at the Quality of Life Index in which little snowy countries take 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th place, well above the hot countries (Greece is in 22nd place, Israel's 38th, Qatar's 41st, Turkey's 50th, etc). Also, although there are no written records, there is extensive archeological evidence of the vikings having a well developed trade network, including expeditions to the Black and Caspian Seas.

Personally I'm not too bothered which we get, both were pretty cool, although I always thought the Naga was a bit weird, I mean a snake on snow?

SandroTheMaster
12-31-2010, 12:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoranXII:
That's a good point Sandro, right up until you look at the Quality of Life Index in which little snowy countries take 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th place, well above the hot countries (Greece is in 22nd place, Israel's 38th, Qatar's 41st, Turkey's 50th, etc). Also, although there are no written records, there is extensive archeological evidence of the vikings having a well developed trade network, including expeditions to the Black and Caspian Seas.

Personally I'm not too bothered which we get, both were pretty cool, although I always thought the Naga was a bit weird, I mean a snake on snow? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't talking about modern day snowy countries. I'm talking about historical civilizations famous for their climates. Why would I bring modern depictions into the picture?

And an advanced Trade system doesn't really say "we're advanced". Vikings were a brutal civilization and most of their culture reflects that, up to their religion.

In any case, I'm just saying that a town based on academic learning has much more in common with the Arabian desert theme than the Pillaging vikings of the snowy isles. Or the whale hunting Inuit. Can you really picture a viking sitting and studying for most of his life because they were good merchants and explorers? I can easily think of Islamic scholars doing it though. And as far as my knowledge goes on Islamic fables, it is shockingly filled with Wizards and Magicians who usually take the place of Witches in European ones.

But Ancient Hellenics would also probably qualify as a good fit, now that I think about it.

GoranXII
12-31-2010, 02:10 AM
Vikings were no more Brutal than Muslims, I mean hells they went from a small bunch in Arabia to the middle of France in about a century, that ain't a sign of a peaceful people. Oh, and the Scandanavians were a sea people, not a land people and since their trade empire stretched from the Black and Caspian Seas to Greenland and Newfoundland they could hardly be called unprincipled barbarians.

Also, this is a fantasy world, not a realistic one, what was and was not in history don't actually apply here. Oh, and some of those Viking Sagas are epic, so yeah, I could easily see an icy academy.

SandroTheMaster
12-31-2010, 11:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoranXII:
Vikings were no more Brutal than Muslims, I mean hells they went from a small bunch in Arabia to the middle of France in about a century, that ain't a sign of a peaceful people. Oh, and the Scandanavians were a sea people, not a land people and since their trade empire stretched from the Black and Caspian Seas to Greenland and Newfoundland they could hardly be called unprincipled barbarians.

Also, this is a fantasy world, not a realistic one, what was and was not in history don't actually apply here. Oh, and some of those Viking Sagas are epic, so yeah, I could easily see an icy academy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a difference between "brutal" and "expansive". The muslin conquered and then annexed territories, making them official part of their empires, Vikings just mostly pillaged and killed. Not to mention that the viking sagas and religion was shared mainly by bards and minstrels through song.

In any way, if you want your world to be effective, you have 2 paths to follow. Either you draw from history to give familiar cultures on some level or something completely alien and make learning about it part of the experience. I have no problem with snowy wizards, but I think the desert fits better and if they're going to be in the snow... tell us why and how.

GoranXII
12-31-2010, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There's a difference between "brutal" and "expansive". The muslin conquered and then annexed territories, making them official part of their empires, Vikings just mostly pillaged and killed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Firstly, the Vikings set up colonies all over the place, England, France, Russia, Germany, Italy, Iceland and Greenland, and secondly, conquest is still conquest, the Muslims sent out armies, not missionaries.

Also, who's to say that there can't be wizardly groups in both terrains?

Destruction3402
01-01-2011, 07:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SandroTheMaster:

I wasn't talking about modern day snowy countries. I'm talking about historical civilizations famous for their climates. Why would I bring modern depictions into the picture?

And an advanced Trade system doesn't really say "we're advanced". Vikings were a brutal civilization and most of their culture reflects that, up to their religion.

In any case, I'm just saying that a town based on academic learning has much more in common with the Arabian desert theme than the Pillaging vikings of the snowy isles. Or the whale hunting Inuit. Can you really picture a viking sitting and studying for most of his life because they were good merchants and explorers? I can easily think of Islamic scholars doing it though. And as far as my knowledge goes on Islamic fables, it is shockingly filled with Wizards and Magicians who usually take the place of Witches in European ones.

But Ancient Hellenics would also probably qualify as a good fit, now that I think about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think that Tower in H3 was far up in the mountains. Even in the southern parts of our world, mountaintops have snow the year around.
Vikings didn't live in mountains from what I've heard, not all of them at least.

Xenofex_086
01-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Brakada Desert, anyone? The Wizards aren't really a snow-based faction or at least not entirely.
Edit: corrected a typing mistake which transformed a geographical location into meal...

kodial79
01-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Snow based is what they appeared to be in H3. And that was enough to raise the whole matter into question.

Xenofex_086
01-01-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm saying that they have desert in the vicinity and thus place where they can recruit all these "non-desert creatures" if you need traditional explanation for their existence. Although I like the concept of the Heroes V Academy more than the Heroes III Tower, the latter is not exactly a randomly placed and randomly assembled faction. You can get a lot of useful clues if you play the Might & Magic games.

Thunion
01-19-2011, 01:22 PM
I am for mountain tower.I mean it looked so amazing,and first of all a tower in the mountain is a perfect place for mages to study(I mean its a fantasy game and we should look from fantasy angle more then from reallity one,and there is alot of storyes about wizards studyng in far away mountains in theyr own tower).Also titans in desert?!?!Are you kidding me? titans asociated with storms and thunder,with clouds.I dont really think there is alots of clouds in desert,there is only sand desert but it doesnt fit tiatans at all.Gremlins and golems doesnt fit deserts to.Gremlins are more cave/fortress creatures and those doesnt exist in desert.And just think about all those mechanics:Sand would fall in mechanism and make it stop working.However Must agree that nagas/Rakshiras fit the the desertmore then snow but these are the only ones.And one more thing mages are all about mistery and magic power,and snowy mountains in clouds giving sense of mysterius power(Remember olympus from greek mithology).And last thing a symbol of mage is tower,tower in desert is stupid.

Nightmus
01-20-2011, 02:35 AM
I prefer the H3 Tower looks for mages. Not because of the snow or something, but because it has that fantasy flavor. When I play as H3 Tower mage I feel more like a Merlin-esque wise mage, who plans ahead sitting in a tower that's reaching the cloud tops. As a H5 Academy, though the gameplay is more diverse and creative due to magic design (esp summoning), from aesthetics point of view, the Jaffar-looking protagonist gives me the feel I'm only seeking power for the sake of it. My opinion is that it is kind of a warlock's theme. The stats distribution supports it too - warlocks have huge magic power and wizards tend to have more knowledge. Thus I'm being disappointed - the entourage gives me the feel I'm all about power, yet, if I choose to wield destruction magic, my spells aren't strong enough, due to lack of spell power and talent magic damage modifiers (like those the Dungeon has).

Sokramor
01-20-2011, 04:57 AM
@Thunion: your right. Mountains would fit Titans better than desert. But I'm used to desert for Academy, maybe because I played H5 more often (and recently) than H3. Mountains and Snow I would associate with Barbarians or Dwarves. It's all more emotional than logical.

Thunion
01-20-2011, 11:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mountains and Snow I would associate with Barbarians or Dwarves. It's all more emotional than logical. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
First of all it depends on the mountain type.Dwarves used to Big mountains and tower got other monutains,like very tall and slim,those doesnt fit dwarves that much.And yes meybe mountains wont fit academy but i guess its more "war" not what fits academy more but tower Vs academy.I am for tower becouse it fits mages more and tower in desert as i sayed before is just plain stupid.
Also i love those mountains so much becouse i love dwarves and mountains and mages.So i always how to decide who to play first dwarves OR mages in heroes 5 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.What i loveed in earlier heroes is that dwarves and mages where in one town so thats wher my love for tower borned.Even if now i want them to be seperate cuz they dont really fit together i still want mages to stay at tower ;D.

Thunion
01-20-2011, 11:29 AM
I know its double posting but here i want to add another post which largerly diffrents form my last ones:Ginie is a magical being who grants wishes.One more time MAGICAL.Please say if anyone ever before saw genie fighting with sword?!?!? So who with me who thinks that Support casters,with MAGICAL attack are better then big guys with sabre?
http://eyecandyanimation.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/ct_genie-poster.jpg

Elementalist.
01-20-2011, 03:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Please say if anyone ever before saw genie fighting with sword?!?!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Never played baldur's gate 2? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Thunion
01-21-2011, 03:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Never played baldur's gate 2? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif i started to play computer games only like 6 years ago.But i meaned more about mythology..Becouse in diffrent games we can encounter everything.

Xenofex_086
01-21-2011, 05:33 AM
If you mean mythology, you should know that the genies (correct - jinns/djinns) are very different from their Hollywood version. Nothing to do with some half-man, half-vortex beings.

Thunion
01-21-2011, 05:57 AM
There is alots of diffrent Jinns.I mean really ALOTS.Ok its not fully mythology but still most of the time ginies are spirits,magical beings but not sword wielding wariors..

Xenofex_086
01-21-2011, 01:02 PM
You are talking about the Walt Disney genies. "Most of the time" they are not "sword-wielding warriors" in the mainstream products. Truth is, according to their archetypical image, they can be a lot of things.

SandroTheMaster
01-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Well, the problem is that Djinns in Arab mythology is pretty much any mystical supernatural being. It's the equivalent of saying "spirits" in far-eastern mythology: It is a hugely broad term.

Xenofex_086
01-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Not exactly huge, but yes, they can take many forms. The types of djinns - ifrits, marids, ghuls and jinns are specified and they are roughly described, but beyond that they could appear as animals, birds, humans and so on. Depending on the historical period, they are perceived as lesser gods or the third type of sentient creatures (along with humans and angels) created by Allah and the second type (along with the humans) possessing free will. The Islamic Devil - Iblis - is actually a (too proud) jinn, not a fallen angel or the creator's dark sibling like in the Christianity/Zoroastrianism.
Erm... anyway, the point is that djinns with scimitars are perfectly legal. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

kodial79
01-22-2011, 02:46 AM
Ghuls were Djiins... I really wished that since they haven't appeared in any Ashan game yet, if they would make an appearance, they would be the powerful demonic djiins and not the low level undead. Oh well, no matter...

I liked the scimitar wielding Djiins of H5. They were tied nicely with the rest of the cast. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SandroTheMaster
01-22-2011, 03:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kodial79:
Ghuls were Djiins... I really wished that since they haven't appeared in any Ashan game yet, if they would make an appearance, they would be the powerful demonic djiins and not the low level undead. Oh well, no matter...

I liked the scimitar wielding Djiins of H5. They were tied nicely with the rest of the cast. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Do not let our blue guardian hear about it. Sir Charles HATED the headless Djinns from Heroes 5.

kodial79
01-22-2011, 04:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SandroTheMaster:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kodial79:

I liked the scimitar wielding Djiins of H5. They were tied nicely with the rest of the cast. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Do not let our blue guardian hear about it. Sir Charles HATED the headless Djinns from Heroes 5. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, I was just commenting on them wielding scimitars was a nice touch.

Thunion
01-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Well the thing i dont liked about heroes 5 mage town jinns was that theyr werent using much magic..I mean there was only 1(well meybe 2 if we count titans) who really effectively used magic.Well meybe i faled with my argument about scimitar jinnies but i can bet they were able to do much more then just buff/debuff luck.I really loved ginnies from heroes 3 becouse they were really unique.

Garabonce
01-23-2011, 03:03 AM
I don't know what you're talking about, in my HV the Djinns are casters.
Quite effective indeed.
With they nasty spells I caused a lot of bad surprises/decresed my own casualty.

You shouldn't underestimate the luck bonuses/penalties anyway, not if you ever 'met' a dwarf with UP, or an elf with they top.

Warlord_Ade
01-23-2011, 03:55 AM
Well personaly, i think they should just improve on what they had in herosV for Acad, and not change two much.

evildiablo4
01-23-2011, 01:08 PM
One thing for sure, I just hope the wizards and gargoyles from Heroes III comes back for the next game.
I just can't imagine a wizard without a staff. The one from Heroes V uses a bloody dagger for close defense for god sakes! I know the druid and rune priest have staffs but pretty sure another more iconic unit wouldn't hurt

I am also pretty sure everyone agrees that gargoyle design from Heroes III should come back. Heroes V gargoyle looks less threatening that the gremlin. I mean cmon, it has tiny wings and uses a block as a weapon.

Thunion
01-24-2011, 03:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One thing for sure, I just hope the wizards and gargoyles from Heroes III comes back for the next game.
I just can't imagine a wizard without a staff. The one from Heroes V uses a bloody dagger for close defense for god sakes! I know the druid and rune priest have staffs but pretty sure another more iconic unit wouldn't hurt

I am also pretty sure everyone agrees that gargoyle design from Heroes III should come back. Heroes V gargoyle looks less threatening that the gremlin. I mean cmon, it has tiny wings and uses a block as a weapon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agree with you about mages.But even more agree about gargolyes,They just look like a meat,err i mean stone shield and even more stupider they are small...I mean imagine:You are archangel and want to get your blade into that mages heart and then see a half mater stone jumping before you "Hit me,Hit me"