PDA

View Full Version : Energy fighters in IL2

mynameisroland
04-27-2006, 07:21 AM
Yesterday I flew on UKD2, its was an early Pacific theatre map and the plane set had the F4F4 and P40 E vs the Ki43 and Zero CW early type.

In this scenario I always fly the P40 E and again yesterday I did ok avoiding being hit and scoring a few kills. My tactics are always to stay fast and to not commit to manuvers unless im sure of getting a good fring position that will kill or critically damage my victim. On more than one occasion I was chased by 2 or 3 Zeros and I extended in a very shallow climb towards some team mates then I would return to fight once the numbers were evened up.

Specific tactics were to keep speed up above 350 - 400kmh through most manuvers. To maintain my turn at these high speeds, open fire from head ons and frontal quarter shots often to make the Zeros bleed speed before going vertical and using high yo yos to cut inside the Zeros turn.

I love this plane set and the CorsairII vs the Ki 84.

I find it is easier to fight P40 against Zero than Fw 190 A4 against Spitfire Vb. On the face of it the performance differences are very similar and the advantages the P40 has over the Zero are mirrored by the Fw 190 A4 over the Spitfire Vb yet it is never as easy.

Trolls stay out Im not whining or saying Spit is teh uber or Fw 190 sucks it is just my observation and my flying. It is odd however that I fly Fw 190 50/60% of the time and P40 only 5/10% but I do as good if not better in the P40. This even extends to P40 vs the Bf 109 F4.

Anyone else find this?

mynameisroland
04-27-2006, 07:21 AM
Yesterday I flew on UKD2, its was an early Pacific theatre map and the plane set had the F4F4 and P40 E vs the Ki43 and Zero CW early type.

In this scenario I always fly the P40 E and again yesterday I did ok avoiding being hit and scoring a few kills. My tactics are always to stay fast and to not commit to manuvers unless im sure of getting a good fring position that will kill or critically damage my victim. On more than one occasion I was chased by 2 or 3 Zeros and I extended in a very shallow climb towards some team mates then I would return to fight once the numbers were evened up.

Specific tactics were to keep speed up above 350 - 400kmh through most manuvers. To maintain my turn at these high speeds, open fire from head ons and frontal quarter shots often to make the Zeros bleed speed before going vertical and using high yo yos to cut inside the Zeros turn.

I love this plane set and the CorsairII vs the Ki 84.

I find it is easier to fight P40 against Zero than Fw 190 A4 against Spitfire Vb. On the face of it the performance differences are very similar and the advantages the P40 has over the Zero are mirrored by the Fw 190 A4 over the Spitfire Vb yet it is never as easy.

Trolls stay out Im not whining or saying Spit is teh uber or Fw 190 sucks it is just my observation and my flying. It is odd however that I fly Fw 190 50/60% of the time and P40 only 5/10% but I do as good if not better in the P40. This even extends to P40 vs the Bf 109 F4.

Anyone else find this?

Jaws2002
04-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Th problem with the A4 and all the antons is the drop in power at anything lower then 300km/h.
This is a a bug that was with the fw's since Forgotten battles came out.

The Prop pitch or komandogerate can't maintain manifold pressure and rpm at low speed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

This is the reason you are dead in fw's if you slow down.

RegRag1977
04-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Right Roland!

I fly mostly the Fw190A (maybe 70-80%), i use it so much, that when i stop flying it for another, i often ask myself: "man ,after all,why do i like FW190, so many concentration for that! When i could do much better for less effort with an inferior A/C (in reality).
My problem is that I like the FW, but cannot understand it in this sim...
Fw190 is the weirdest A/C to understand in my opinion...I think i read to much historical report about it, and will always be dissapointed with the way it's modelled in this sim!

mynameisroland
04-27-2006, 08:57 AM
I see what you mean, maybe the margin of turn superiority of the Spitfire over the Fw 190 is greater than that of the Zero against the P40?

Even though I cant see that being the case.

Another important factor is that you dont need to manuver as much in the P40 to get a sot because of the velocity of the .50 cals whereas the low velocity 20mms take more lead.

Jaws2002
04-27-2006, 09:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mynameisroland:
Another important factor is that you dont need to manuver as much in the P40 to get a sot because of the velocity of the .50 cals whereas the low velocity 20mms take more lead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but when those cannons come to bear...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

mynameisroland
04-27-2006, 09:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RegRag1977:
Right Roland!

I fly mostly the Fw190A (maybe 70-80%), i use it so much, that when i stop flying it for another, i often ask myself: "man ,after all,why do i like FW190, so many concentration for that! When i could do much better for less effort with an inferior A/C (in reality).
My problem is that I like the FW, but cannot understand it in this sim...
Fw190 is the weirdest A/C to understand in my opinion...I think i read to much historical report about it, and will always be dissapointed with the way it's modelled in this sim! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, I am disappointed with all of the Antons in this game. The Dora is a monster, not just its performance but its whole flight model and E retention - but its always fighting against other very capable fighters like the P63, La7 or Tempest or Spitfire IX 25lb - which is accurate.

Dont want to get drawn in to another debate because nothing ever changes,but I really hope that BOB does a really nice Fw 190 A series.

I like the Mustang, P47 and Corsair II and I fly them the same way as I do the Fw 190. I hate the wobble though but sometimes I get it on the Fw 190 too, where does this annoying bugger come from!

The only real 'dogfighter' I enjoy flying is the Spitfire where I love entering dogfights with Bf 109s and Fw 190s even Ki 84s none of the above have the capability to take a well flow Spitfire down in a close in fight. Especially if you take the fight up to above 18,000ft

WOLFMondo
04-27-2006, 09:09 AM
RegRag1977, Im completely the opposite. Before this sim I didn't like the 190. Now its my favorite.

I really feel in this sim, as in real life, the FW190's hold massive advantages over there opponents in areas that matter to me i.e. speed, roll and firepower. There is no other plane I'd rather be in vs a Spitfire VB (other than an A6 or Dora http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif) . Regardless of what people say about the A4 in this sim, as a 1942 plane its the mutts nuts IMHO. With a little prop pitch and shallow fast climbs I find you can dictate the fight with a VB easily because the VB is so damn slow.

I cannot say the same for the P40. Against a zero i'd prefer to be in a P39D2, againt the F4 i'll ctrl+e to avoid the embarrisment. I've tried to like the P40 but I just don't get on with it.

mynameisroland
04-27-2006, 09:11 AM
I love blowing up aircraft, it only occurs for me in the Fw 190, I never use Mk 108s because they are no fun to shoot with. But .50 cals are deadly and very adequate to put aircraft out of the fight whether you blow them up or not. Two nights ago I got bounced by a P40 who shot me head on in a diving pass and my Fw 190s A4 lost all will to rev , I wasnt trailing any smoke but my engine was porked.

RegRag1977
04-27-2006, 09:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dont want to get drawn in to another debate because nothing ever changes,but I really hope that BOB does a really nice Fw 190 A series.

I like the Mustang, P47 and Corsair II and I fly them the same way as I do the Fw 190. I hate the wobble though but sometimes I get it on the Fw 190 too, where does this annoying bugger come from! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, i'm not the Mustang guy (i don't like its design much, though i know why they are loved http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif) but i like P47, Corsair And Tempest!!!!
I like those tough demanding beasts.

Like you, i hope we will have something like the true FW190A j├┬Ąger, with caracteristics closer from what it was described to be by WW2 vets!

Regards!

mynameisroland
04-27-2006, 09:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
RegRag1977, Im completely the opposite. Before this sim I didn't like the 190. Now its my favorite.

I really feel in this sim, as in real life, the FW190's hold massive advantages over there opponents in areas that matter to me i.e. speed, roll and firepower. There is no other plane I'd rather be in vs a Spitfire VB (other than an A6 or Dora http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif) . Regardless of what people say about the A4 in this sim, as a 1942 plane its the mutts nuts IMHO. With a little prop pitch and shallow fast climbs I find you can dictate the fight with a VB easily because the VB is so damn slow.

I cannot say the same for the P40. Against a zero i'd prefer to be in a P39D2, againt the F4 i'll ctrl+e to avoid the embarrisment. I've tried to like the P40 but I just don't get on with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The P40 for me seems to turn and roll better at higher speeds than the Bf 109 F4 so I keep the fight fast and use scissoring to shake the 109 of my six. Judicous use of clouds is also often needed however http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The .50 cals are awesome against Bf 109 F4's they just screw their engine every time you land rounds on them. I dont know why I do well against Bf 109s, I even enjoy fighting F4s in Hurri Mk IIcs, maybe thats why the P40 seems luxurious in comparison.

Xiolablu3
04-27-2006, 09:19 AM
The main problem I have with the FW190 is the forward view. I do a lot of deflection shots, I just have an eye for them. I guess its from clay pigeon shooting from a young age, learning to lead properly.

The FW190 view totally blocks deflection shooting and makes it a guessing game. I can only think that if the view was this bad in WW2 they would simply have highered the sight a bit. Every bit of height on the sight would make deflection shooting that bit easier.

I like flying the F4F vs Zeros too. On full real servers you are even safer because its very easy to lose someone in a twisty turny dogfight, which is the Zeros forte. Full real servers favour B&Z fighters I think.

Maybe we should go for a flight on Wings of War to try a bit of Fw190 vs Spit or F4F vs Zero one night Roland, just for the experience and fun? What do you say? We could pick the side with the best B&Zer and see how we get on?

mynameisroland
04-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Mustang needs to be flown with the right mindset. Cruise around as fast as you can while maintaining a cool engine then on combat use minimal effort and maximum speed if he doges you extend and climb you can fight all day he cant. If you close the radiator it is phenomenally fast in a shallow dive but O/heats quickly so it has to be used sparingly. I just love flying fighters of that style and its gunsight is to die for after the deprevations of the Fw 190.

Brain32
04-27-2006, 09:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Another important factor is that you dont need to manuver as much in the P40 to get a sot because of the velocity of the .50 cals whereas the low velocity 20mms take more lead.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You just nailed my #1 problem with the FW's. Similar to your situation with P40vsZero is my often TempestVvs.109's, I find it a lot easier to fight 109's in a Tempest than Spits in a FW. I gave it a thought, and came to the conclusion that mg151/20 balistics coupled with crripled FW gunsight give the number one source of frustration to me. Getting a favourable angle on a Spit is very difficult and when you do it 90% of it are completely blind. I don't mind fishy dive and zoom relations but this really pi$$es me off...

mynameisroland
04-27-2006, 09:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
The main problem I have with the FW190 is the forward view. I do a lot of deflection shots, I just have an eye for them. I guess its from clay pigeon shooting from a young age, learning to lead properly.

The FW190 view totally blocks deflection shooting and makes it a guessing game. I can only think that if the view was this bad in WW2 they would simply have highered the sight a bit. Every bit of height on the sight would make deflection shooting that bit easier.

I like flying the F4F vs Zeros too. On full real servers you are even safer because its very easy to lose someone in a twisty turny dogfight, which is the Zeros forte. Full real servers favour B&Z fighters I think.

Maybe we should go for a flight on Wings of War to try a bit of Fw190 vs Spit or F4F vs Zero one night Roland, just for the experience and fun? What do you say? We could pick the side with the best B&Zer and see how we get on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its a date, I'll be on tonight - or will try to - around 12. If thats not a good time we should arrange it for next week one evening.

RegRag1977
04-27-2006, 09:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:

I cannot say the same for the P40. Against a zero i'd prefer to be in a P39D2, againt the F4 i'll ctrl+e to avoid the embarrisment. I've tried to like the P40 but I just don't get on with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Wolf,

You know i wrote i use to fly FW190A for 80% of time... Hey, it's my favourite too, in this sim...
I just wanted to say that it should be modelled in another way, that it doesn't look like it was during WW2.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gifI like the speed sensation in Fw190, the lightness of ailerons, and of course the four 20ies with curling tracers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif....and many other things
I like the way you can kill: so violently; what a punch!

Explosions after high def shooting, i know you know what i mean http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But still with all that i still think that there's something weird with this plane, something not modelled properly.
But of course i can be wrong...It's just an opinion!

mynameisroland
04-27-2006, 09:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brain32:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Another important factor is that you dont need to manuver as much in the P40 to get a sot because of the velocity of the .50 cals whereas the low velocity 20mms take more lead.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You just nailed my #1 problem with the FW's. Similar to your situation with P40vsZero is my often TempestVvs.109's, I find it a lot easier to fight 109's in a Tempest than Spits in a FW. I gave it a thought, and came to the conclusion that mg151/20 balistics coupled with crripled FW gunsight give the number one source of frustration to me. Getting a favourable angle on a Spit is very difficult and when you do it 90% of it are completely blind. I don't mind fishy dive and zoom relations but this really pi$$es me off... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tempest vs Bf 109's is a good match up I love fighting Bf 109s. The Tempest is great for about one or two manuvers then it really lacks ooomph when I want some speed or acceleration. I hate how a Bf 109 G10 can stick with you in a dive or in a horizontal extend.

Brain32
04-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Yes 109's are really nasty for a Tempest, two passes if you came from above and bye-bye, very similar to FW vs Spit, although in a dive you can kick him when you pass about 550km/h because of elevator authority difference.

BTW this is what I dream about to see in this game:
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/5107/grab00000ec.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grab00000ec.jpg)

It would really make me happy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mynameisroland
04-27-2006, 10:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thing is Xiola the Fw 190 had a very good gunsight view it is just another area where it is porked in IL2. So an aircraft that has a gunsight view better than that of the Spitfire ends up with a gunsight view that is distinctly inferior.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/mynameisroland/pro_190_survey_a_1.jpg

RegRag1977
04-27-2006, 10:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brain32:
Yes 109's are really nasty for a Tempest, two passes if you came from above and bye-bye, very similar to FW vs Spit, although in a dive you can kick him when you pass about 550km/h because of elevator authority difference.

BTW this is what I dream about to see in this game:
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/5107/grab00000ec.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grab00000ec.jpg)

It would really make me happy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yes, it would be so good! Is it so hard to do?

Brain32
04-27-2006, 10:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Oh yes, it would be so good! Is it so hard to do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
From loading up game and taking a screenshot, over photoshop to end result - 5 minutes http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
Don't know how much effort would that be for Oleg and the crew though... I think with all corrections and fixes they made on all planes this is one must have they unfortunetly do not wish to do...

FatBoyHK
04-27-2006, 10:18 AM
P40 is actually a very good plane against zeke. If you know how to fly a mustang or a FW, just do the same, and you will get amazing result.

I fly mustang regularly and in a particularly good day i can have 2 kills per hour on WarClouds. But on those full-real pacific early war server I can amass 1000 points with a P40M within an hour without too much trouble. And I am NOT an kind of P40 expert, I am sure I can do much better if I invest some time in this lovely plane.

mynameisroland
04-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Well yesterday I acrued 700 points in 50 min on the server in P40 against Zeros before the map changed. Then I flew Spitfire Vb LF 1942 model against Bf 109 G2 and then a Bf 110 G2.

What I was interested in was whether the P40 had a greater margin of high speed manuverability and speed over the Zero than the Fw 190 A4 possesses over the Spitfire Vb.

Xiolablu3
04-27-2006, 10:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mynameisroland:

Maybe we should go for a flight on Wings of War to try a bit of Fw190 vs Spit or F4F vs Zero one night Roland, just for the experience and fun? What do you say? We could pick the side with the best B&Zer and see how we get on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its a date, I'll be on tonight - or will try to - around 12. If thats not a good time we should arrange it for next week one evening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, I havent slept all night so I may be a bit later, (going to get a few hours now) but not too much. The server starts to fill up around 12am-1am UKtime. I should be there between those times. Dont worry if you cant make it, but if you have time, lets try it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If anyone else fancies a flight tonight, you are invited of course (not that you need an invite http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

Hoping RCAF_Irish, Crazy_Canuck, Pepper, FA_Duck and the other regulars are on too, good guys to fly with.

WWMaxGunz
04-27-2006, 10:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jaws2002:
Th problem with the A4 and all the antons is the drop in power at anything lower then 300km/h.
This is a a bug that was with the fw's since Forgotten battles came out.

The Prop pitch or komandogerate can't maintain manifold pressure and rpm at low speed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

This is the reason you are dead in fw's if you slow down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that a bug or is that true modelling of the efficiency of the prop of that model?
Prop made for highspeed efficiency is not as good at the lowspeed. I am not guessing,
Oleg has posted about the props before.

mynameisroland
04-27-2006, 10:38 AM

Its a date, I'll be on tonight - or will try to - around 12. If thats not a good time we should arrange it for next week one evening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, I havent slept all night so I may be a bit later, (going to get a few hours now) but not too much. The server starts to fill up around 12am-1am UKtime. I should be there between those times. Dont worry if you cant make it, but if you have time, lets try it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If anyone else fancies a flight tonight, you are invited of course (not that you need an invite http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

Hoping RCAF_Irish, Crazy_Canuck, Pepper, FA_Duck and the other regulars are on too, good guys to fly with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can you PM me the IP either here or at Battle-Fields I dont use Hyper Lobby cheers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Xiolablu3
04-27-2006, 10:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatBoyHK:
P40 is actually a very good plane against zeke. If you know how to fly a mustang or a FW, just do the same, and you will get amazing result.

I fly mustang regularly and in a particularly good day i can have 2 kills per hour on WarClouds. But on those full-real pacific early war server I can amass 1000 points with a P40M within an hour without too much trouble. And I am NOT an kind of P40 expert, I am sure I can do much better if I invest some time in this lovely plane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roland Ip is :- 70.87.121.84:21000
TS IP :- 70.87.121.84 - no pass just Nickname http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If you dont want to use HL then you should get All Seeing Eye, http://www.udpsoft.com/eye/doc.html

Its a great game browser prog for online games, no nonsence, no adware, just straight to the point and simple. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Dont think there is any reason not to post IP here is there? I'll edit it if any thinks there will be.

You up for a flight on WOW tonight Fatboy? Not sure what time 12am-1am GMT is for you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Its not our usual server, so we arent WOW aces or anything, but it would be fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WWMaxGunz
04-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Anyone do a websearch with keywords Eric Schilling P-40 Zero and you can find a load of
tactics and view on P-40 vs Zero. He was AVG, fought in the PTO later and survived.
Sure he don't know everything possible but he does know a lot.

P-40 can outturn a P-51. In mock combats the veterans would take a P-40 against any plane
the new guy wanted which was almost always a P-51. The new guy always lost, he did not
know the strengths of both planes and got suckered into flying where the P-40 would win.

Xiolablu3
04-27-2006, 12:55 PM
I just took a P51D for a spin at 10,000m vs a 109G6A/S and a FW190A9.

The FW190 was no trouble at all up there. The 109 was a bit more trouble but easy to catch and destroy after I finally got on his tail.

Conclusion - P51D is much, much better up high.

I am sure you all know this already, but I had never been up that high before in the game. Planes which are not the P51 (109K4 and Fw190A9) feel very strange up there, sort of 'mushy' , as if they are dying to go down.

P51 feels much more stable than the others I tried. Also its high manouvre ailerons are fantastic. I was having to use trim to steer the 109 in any meaningful way.

Not true B&Zing but interesting findings anyway.