PDA

View Full Version : Douglas A-1 skyraider

aukieboy
09-27-2005, 04:43 AM
Too bad it was only released for flight in 1945
(maybe just shortly after the war?)
Be this as it may... we will probably never pilot this carrier-born beauty in a ww2 flightsim.

aukieboy
09-27-2005, 04:43 AM
Too bad it was only released for flight in 1945
(maybe just shortly after the war?)
Be this as it may... we will probably never pilot this carrier-born beauty in a ww2 flightsim.

Badsight.
09-27-2005, 04:46 AM
& should you really ?

it didnt really play any part in WW2 at all

John_Stag
09-27-2005, 04:52 AM
Yeah, not at all like the Go229.

Er... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Badsight.
09-27-2005, 05:05 AM
dont get me wrong , the Skyraider is a WW2 plane

it was designed , tested , & put into production all during WW2 - while the war was still going . but like the Bearcat & Do-335 & Shinden it didnt get to see any real decent combat , in the Anally Retentive view its not a WW2 plane

& it was on its way to okinawa for the Invasion of Japan just before the Surrender was announced

its a Beast of an aircraft - could lift-off carrying more than what the B-17 could , quite probably the greatest Prop/Piston G/A Aircraft ever made & would be awesome (& very successfull) in this Sim

im all for the "what-if" planes in every way , they absolutly add to the game expanding the senarios you can play out - only no fun killjoys & stick-in-the-muds say they shouldnt be included

Aaron_GT
09-27-2005, 06:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">could lift-off carrying more than what the B-17 could </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not correct. For short flights the B17 could carry a 12,800lb bomb load (even more in extreme overload with wing racks in theory). The Skyraider could not carry this much. The Skyraider could carry a typical maximum load of 6000 lbs, which is greater than the typical long range (Berlin and back) B17 load, but couldn't carry it nearly as far as a B17 could.

Daiichidoku
09-27-2005, 09:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Badsight.:
it was on its way to okinawa for the Invasion of Japan just before the Surrender was announced
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

after telling me in a thread once that the Yak3P saw WWII combat, id like to see your source on the able dog on the way to OK, please, badsight, sir

certainly, it was flown before VJ day...full-scale production by that point? i dunno, id certainly like to see that in publication...

no doubt, that with the precedents in FB of the GO 229, yak 3P, 109Z, Yp 80, Ki84 1C, etc etc etc, that the skyraider IS a "WWII" type....but ONLY IN FB

in RL, lets face it, it made its mark in korea and vietnam, and really belongs to that era

the F4 phantom flew in the 50s, but it is NEVER lumped in with 50s types like F 100s, F 86s, etc...its a "60s" type

is the PZL 11 "WWII"?...you bet it is...but how is it regarded?....mostly as a "pre-war" or "30s" type

heinemann really did come a long way in its design up to production....from butt-ugly to merely beastly, wouldnt you think?

i think boeings XF8F was pretty neat too

badsight, sir, sure, one can have all sorts of fun with those superplanes you champion....but the same can be said of the earlier "cr@p-planes", which seem to be in shorter supply in FB than any late war mega cannon no fear ultra ship

IMO, the **** planes are WAY more fun...one usually has to DO something, to EARN a kill, instead of yank Jstick about till something wanders into its sights and blasted byu a wave-motion gun

may as well just sit on the ground and press one button to launch a AtA missle

GR142-Pipper
09-27-2005, 11:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">could lift-off carrying more than what the B-17 could </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not correct. For short flights the B17 could carry a 12,800lb bomb load (even more in extreme overload with wing racks in theory). The Skyraider could not carry this much. The Skyraider could carry a typical maximum load of 6000 lbs, which is greater than the typical long range (Berlin and back) B17 load, but couldn't carry it nearly as far as a B17 could. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The A-1J (AD-7) could carry a maximum load of about 12,500 pounds of fuel/ordnance (12,500 pounds was also its rated empty weight). It was famous for being able to lift its own weight.

GR142-Pipper

GR142-Pipper
09-27-2005, 11:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
i think boeings XF8F was pretty neat too </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Small point. It was a Grumman XF8F Bearcat and a Boeing XF8B, both cool planes in my view.

GR142-Pipper

Badsight.
09-27-2005, 11:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daiichidoku:

after telling me in a thread once that the Yak3P saw WWII combat, id like to see your source on the able dog on the way to OK, please, badsight, sir </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Daiichidoku there already is more pre45 planes than post44 & if youventure out of AirQuake rooms you will find the world of COOP's . i mainly fly early planesets - its the most fun imo & its what FB does best , but your cannon blast-a-thon analogy is bunk - the best sorties ive had in props have been in the first model LaGG , the Sturmovik , the 42 I-185 & La-5 - you want easy kills then fly those plane shredders . there is no reliable source out there that has the Yak-3P as being post war

the Yak-3 were fitted with Tri-Cannon (becoming-3P models) before WW2 ended , not many were ever made , but to assume it wasnt used in combat is just that , an assumption

as for the Skyraider , i defer to 2 forum members that have knowen about it far longer than i have
Skychimp
SkyRaider
both of them in the past have stated in the past that it was intended for the invasion of Japan
i never said it did any real work in WW2 , look at my first reply in this thread FFS , but you cant go & say it wasnt a WW2 plane from the time-period POV

im sure you remember that up-to 1946 Aircraft were welcome to FB , right ?

Aaron_GT
09-28-2005, 03:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The A-1J (AD-7) could carry a maximum load of about 12,500 pounds of fuel/ordnance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are talking external ordnance and all fuel in overload condition, yes. But that is still less than just the short range bombload of a B-17, let alone all the fuel in the B17, so the B17 still trumps the A-1. The B17G could carry 30,000 lbs of fuel and bombs in total for normal maximum load, sometimes even more in extreme overload.

GR142-Pipper
09-28-2005, 06:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The A-1J (AD-7) could carry a maximum load of about 12,500 pounds of fuel/ordnance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are talking external ordnance and all fuel in overload condition, yes. But that is still less than just the short range bombload of a B-17, let alone all the fuel in the B17, so the B17 still trumps the A-1. The B17G could carry 30,000 lbs of fuel and bombs in total for normal maximum load, sometimes even more in extreme overload. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not arguing with you regarding the A-1 vs. the B-17. I was merely pointing out that the A-1J could carry 12,500 pounds...it's own weight. Remarkable.

The A-1 was/is one of my favorite aircraft.

GR142-Pipper

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-28-2005, 06:59 AM
As a kid I'd sit and chat with my grandfather about the typical birds in WWII (he was in the 8th AF in Europe and later in the 20th AF 509th Composite group in the PTO) and the plane that he wanted to talk about the most was the Skyraider. He joined pre-WWII but was in for 20 years. He was always soooo impressed with it as a close-support mudmover.

TB

ImpStarDuece
09-28-2005, 07:06 AM
I wonder why the Navy went for 20mms on the Skyraider instead of .50s?

Aaron_GT
09-28-2005, 07:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wonder why the Navy went for 20mms on the Skyraider instead of .50s? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because their tests indicated that 4 20mm cannons were as effective as 12 50 calibre guns at much less weight which leaves more wngine power to shift bombs and rockets.

PBNA-Boosher
09-28-2005, 05:30 PM
later on there were 20mm's and miniguns. Plus all the bombs and rockets, that's firepower enough for me.

SkyChimp
09-28-2005, 06:24 PM
The AD Skyraider could carry over 10,000 lbs in external ordnance. In fact, as far as I know, it still holds the world weightligting record for a single engined piston powered aircraft:

http://members.cox.net/us.fighters/AD.jpg

Aaron_GT
09-29-2005, 03:06 AM
If I was stinking rich I wouldn't mind getting one of the ambulance Skyraider versions (I can't remenber the model number) with the internal seating and two seat cockpit. It could make a great plane for touring.

Zjoek
09-29-2005, 03:29 AM
Yes I'd love to see the Skyraider too. Great plane. It just looks mean. They'd have to model the oil running over the sides of it though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

WOLFMondo
09-29-2005, 03:42 AM
Some body posted a great link a while back about Skyraiders which carried nuclear bombs and how they where supposed to deliver them. It seems pretty much a one way deal to me.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Really mean looking plane.

nakamura_kenji
09-29-2005, 03:50 AM
almost anything that carried nuclear weapon would have been one way as little return to, but guess from sound the would got hit by blast v_v

Daiichidoku
09-29-2005, 06:36 PM
If I was stinking rich I wouldn't mind getting one of the ambulance Skyraider versions (I can't remenber the model number) with the internal seating and two seat cockpit. It could make a great plane for touring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

? AD4-F...i believe they were called "fat face"

Skarphol
09-30-2005, 06:11 AM
A litle info on first flights of the Skyraider, taken from J. Baughers homepage:

"The first XBT2D-1 (Bu No 09085) made its maiden flight from Mines Field, CA on March 18, 1945, with Douglas test pilot LaVerne Brown at the control. The plane was delivered to the Navy Proving Ground at Patuxent River, Maryland. Flight tests were satisfactory, and the performance was excellent, with no signicant flaws being found. "

"In February of 1946, the BT2D-1 was renamed Skyraider. In April of 1946, the Navy eliminated the BT designation category, replacing it by A for Attack. The BT2D-1 was redesignated AD-1. "

"In the spring of 1946, a few XBT2D-1s were delivered to the Pacific Fleet Air Headquarters at NAS Alameda for service trials. "

"In December of 1946, VA-19A at NAS Alameda was declared operational with the AD-1."

It seems unlikely that the Skyraider was anywhere near action in WWII.

"The AD-4B was a version of the AD-4 designed to carry and deliver nuclear weapons. "

"The aircraft [AD-5] could be fitted with field conversion kits to to make it possible for it to fulfill several different roles. Among these were medical evacuation with four casualty litters, VIP transport with four backward-facing seats, twelve-seat troop transport, utility cargo transport capable of carrying up to 2000 pounds of cargo, photographic reconnaissance, and target towing. "

Skarphol

Daiichidoku
09-30-2005, 09:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Badsight.:
dont get me wrong , the Skyraider is a WW2 plane

it was designed , tested , & put into production all during WW2 - while the war was still going . but like the Bearcat & Do-335 & Shinden it didnt get to see any real decent combat , in the Anally Retentive view its not a WW2 plane

& it was on its way to okinawa for the Invasion of Japan just before the Surrender was announced </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"The first XBT2D-1 (Bu No 09085) made its maiden flight from Mines Field, CA on March 18, 1945, with Douglas test pilot LaVerne Brown at the control. The plane was delivered to the Navy Proving Ground at Patuxent River, Maryland. Flight tests were satisfactory, and the performance was excellent, with no signicant flaws being found. "

"In February of 1946, the BT2D-1 was renamed Skyraider. In April of 1946, the Navy eliminated the BT designation category, replacing it by A for Attack. The BT2D-1 was redesignated AD-1. "

"In the spring of 1946, a few XBT2D-1s were delivered to the Pacific Fleet Air Headquarters at NAS Alameda for service trials. "

"In December of 1946, VA-19A at NAS Alameda was declared operational with the AD-1."

Aaron_GT
09-30-2005, 09:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">VIP transport with four backward-facing seats </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the fellow when I win a few million on the lottery. That and a De Haviland Rapide or Dragon.

woofiedog
09-30-2005, 02:47 PM
You can't leave out the The Martin AM-1 Mauler

http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter3/martin_am1-mauler/mauler3_600.jpg

In 1943 the U.S. Navy began to plan for a new type of attack aircraft, one that would combine the roles of the scout and torpedo bombers (such as the Curtiss Helldiver and Grumman Avenger). These plans drew on the experience of two years of active carrier operations and would reflect the changing demands of naval air power. The emphasis was to be on load-carrying capability and performance, using a single-seat airframe designed around the most powerful engine then available. The offensive load was to be placed on external hardpoints (instead of internal weapon bays), which would save in both airframe weight and complexity. Martin aircraft submitted a design proposal known as the Model 210, which was given the Navy designation XBTM-1. The first prototype flew in August 1944, with a production order for 750 BTM-1s following in January 1945. The designation was changed to AM-1 and the aircraft was given the name the Mauler. The first production aircraft did not fly until December 1946, with deliveries to an active Navy squadron starting in March 1948. Only 149 Maulers were completed before production ceased in October 1949, and most of these were passed the Navy Reserve squadrons. The Navy had instead decided to use the Douglas AD-1 Skyraider, which became the standard U.S. Navy attack aircraft, serving with distinction in Korea and Vietnam.

http://www.military.cz/usa/air/war/bomber/am/am1_a1.jpg

General characteristics AM-1

Primary function Attack aircraft
Power plant One Pratt&Whitney R-4360-4 engine
Thrust 3,000 HP 2,235 kW
Wingspan 50 ft 15.24 m
Length 41.2 ft 12.55 m
Height 16.8 ft 5.13 m
Wingarea 496 sq ft 46.08 sq m
Weight empty 14,500 lb 6,577 kg
max. 23,387 lb 10,608 kg
Max. speed 367 mph 591 km/h