PDA

View Full Version : p-40c damage

mike_espo
09-02-2007, 11:03 AM
I just got into IL2 46 after a 3+ year layoff. I love the IJA&IJN aircraft!

I took the Ki-43c version with 2x 12.7mm mgs up against 4x P-40c...friendlies just for gunnery practice.

To my complete surprise, I was able to knock down all 4 of them, with just the mgs. I did not know the P-40 damage model was so wimpy....

mike_espo
09-02-2007, 11:03 AM
I just got into IL2 46 after a 3+ year layoff. I love the IJA&IJN aircraft!

I took the Ki-43c version with 2x 12.7mm mgs up against 4x P-40c...friendlies just for gunnery practice.

To my complete surprise, I was able to knock down all 4 of them, with just the mgs. I did not know the P-40 damage model was so wimpy....

JG52Karaya-X
09-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Depends on where you aim of course. The P40s are pretty though as far as the airframe goes but aim at the engine or oil cooler and they will go down pretty fast, its the same for most or all other inline engined fighters...

VW-IceFire
09-02-2007, 12:18 PM
P-40B and C are very easy to shoot down. Quite a bit different than the E and M versions. Not sure why or if its supposed to be this way.

DKoor
09-02-2007, 12:48 PM
P-40s are very nice planes to fly but indeed....they have some nasty spots when, if hit, provide much trouble for their rider.

I have read some articles, from rl pilots, specifically AVG guys and some other reports in which they claim that P-40 was one of the sturdiest fighters of it's time....well.

Ki-43 on the other hand survives very little damage....but even with it's being underarmed can still shot down planes, even those like P-40.

For my taste....P-40 vs Ki-43 CBI theatre are some of the most classic battles of the ww2....my fav, if one can call it that way.

mike_espo
09-02-2007, 01:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DKoor:
P-40s are very nice planes to fly but indeed....they have some nasty spots when, if hit, provide much trouble for their rider.

I have read some articles, from rl pilots, specifically AVG guys and some other reports in which they claim that P-40 was one of the sturdiest fighters of it's time....well.

Ki-43 on the other hand survives very little damage....but even with it's being underarmed can still shot down planes, even those like P-40.

For my taste....P-40 vs Ki-43 CBI theatre are some of the most classic battles of the ww2....my fav, if one can call it that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am planning to make a CBI"flying tigers" coop mission with Ki-27, Ki-43s and P-40s....good to know there are some players out there who are interested in the CBI! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

DKoor
09-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Nice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

mortoma
09-02-2007, 03:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
P-40B and C are very easy to shoot down. Quite a bit different than the E and M versions. Not sure why or if its supposed to be this way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I know why! It's because the E and M were modeled a long time ago by Oleg's team, while the earlier birds were done by a third party modeler much later and have a different DM and FM. Also did you ever notice that the dihedral in the wings of the old E and M is not correct ( way too much dihedral ) while the others are done correctly.

VW-IceFire
09-02-2007, 04:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
P-40B and C are very easy to shoot down. Quite a bit different than the E and M versions. Not sure why or if its supposed to be this way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I know why! It's because the E and M were modeled a long time ago by Oleg's team, while the earlier birds were done by a third party modeler much later and have a different DM and FM. Also did you ever notice that the dihedral in the wings of the old E and M is not correct ( way too much dihedral ) while the others are done correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep that definitely factors into it. Actually the E and M I think were also made by a third party group...but it was a different group.

Adam906
09-06-2007, 10:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:
they will go down pretty fast, its the same for most or all other inline engined fighters... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

except the Spit which just keeps going...and going...and going....and going....and going some more! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

mike_espo
09-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Yes..I remember that from the old AEP days....I thought that was bogus...I thought it was fixed.....