PDA

View Full Version : Why even put the option to stun?

UnsentSoul
11-22-2010, 08:00 AM
There are threads all over about the stun. People quote ubi saying that you shouldn't rely on it blah blah blah. 3 games in a row when I'm attacking on manhunt the enemy team stuns our entire team. Really sad I know. These guys would run right up to you look at you face to face and stun you. I don't think there is an explanation for this but obviously when I try to do anything like this I get x'ed out like no other. The amount of times I've been stunned in a 30 minute time period is amazing. Try to do what they do and watch several slow motion deaths. I love when they counter a stun from behind too. Amazing how things work for every player but me. It's really frustrating to be honest. Don't rely on it but you see 2 people gang banging your teammate every time he gets up and you wonder....

UnsentSoul
11-22-2010, 08:00 AM
There are threads all over about the stun. People quote ubi saying that you shouldn't rely on it blah blah blah. 3 games in a row when I'm attacking on manhunt the enemy team stuns our entire team. Really sad I know. These guys would run right up to you look at you face to face and stun you. I don't think there is an explanation for this but obviously when I try to do anything like this I get x'ed out like no other. The amount of times I've been stunned in a 30 minute time period is amazing. Try to do what they do and watch several slow motion deaths. I love when they counter a stun from behind too. Amazing how things work for every player but me. It's really frustrating to be honest. Don't rely on it but you see 2 people gang banging your teammate every time he gets up and you wonder....

luth411
11-22-2010, 08:31 AM
I apologize for what sounds like a very frustrating experience (I'm not patronizing you).

Stunning does seem to be something that is difficult to pull off if you've been spotted. One thing that is probably causing most of your frustration is lag (either your side of the opponents side). This definitely blows, but it's part of online gaming. My advice is to try practicing with smoke bomb for a while.

I have a defensive profile with smoke bomb and disguise (or morph) and I practice spotting my pursuers and getting them to make a mistake (lure them, break incognito, etc). Smoke bomb>stun is a powerful combination, especially with only one pursuer on you. When they're in the smoke, take your time to move behind them and stun.

Getting more practice with the window of opportunity for stun will help in some situations (nothing you can do about latency, though).

DoomKnight10
11-22-2010, 08:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mpagano411:
I apologize for what sounds like a very frustrating experience (I'm not patronizing you).

Stunning does seem to be something that is difficult to pull off if you've been spotted. One thing that is probably causing most of your frustration is lag (either your side of the opponents side). This definitely blows, but it's part of online gaming. My advice is to try practicing with smoke bomb for a while.

I have a defensive profile with smoke bomb and disguise (or morph) and I practice spotting my pursuers and getting them to make a mistake (lure them, break incognito, etc). Smoke bomb&gt;stun is a powerful combination, especially with only one pursuer on you. When they're in the smoke, take your time to move behind them and stun.

Getting more practice with the window of opportunity for stun will help in some situations (nothing you can do about latency, though). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah, smoke bomb and stun. So fun. Its amazing if you spot your pursuer, you see them walking or running from across a room or courtyard towards you, your staring right at them, then smoke bomb and stun, because somehow they dont see it coming.

UnsentSoul
11-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks. I use smoke/morph constantly. Even have the upgrade smoke bomb length. Still maybe include a feature like halo wars or mw2 where it informs you of a strict network. I have no problem resetting my net, but not very many games tell you.

rocketxsurgeon
11-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I think stun is fine how it is. However in your story above i think lag is the problem. That's the reason it works on and off for me.

MrLaneFox
11-22-2010, 11:00 AM
the fact that there are complaints on both extreme ends of the ability (wahhh its too powerful, wahhhh its too weak) is a testimate to its actual equality. the problem is that people are too stupid to adapt to it.

rocketxsurgeon
11-22-2010, 11:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zerobounds-:
the fact that there are complaints on both extreme ends of the ability (wahhh its too powerful, wahhhh its too weak) is a testimate to its actual equality. the problem is that people are too stupid to adapt to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its true what Ubi say though, running up to you attacker, stunning them and failing isn't the game at fault at all.

The stun tool has to be utilised and once you know how to use it, you won't make foolish mistakes.

luth411
11-22-2010, 11:08 AM
I agree with both posters above me. Think about the concept on which this is based: only in a corny, unbelievable action movie would a person approach their assailant from the front and knock them unconscious. If the person knows who they're looking for and they see that person...you can't really be caught off guard!

rocketxsurgeon
11-22-2010, 11:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mpagano411:
I agree with both posters above me. Think about the concept on which this is based: only in a corny, unbelievable action movie would a person approach their assailant from the front and knock them unconscious. If the person knows who they're looking for and they see that person...you can't really be caught off guard! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think of it as a last resort thing, its not an attack at all. That's the problem some people have, they think of it as an attack, that's when people make mistakes.

MidoriSangatsu
11-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Sounds like to me its could be lag.
It could also just be bad timing on your part.
It is actually really hard to judge the situation because there is no knowledge of whether they were using smoke bombs, mute or charge. Another things I would like to point out is, considering this sounds like manhunt, it is a common tactic to keep the defending team together so each of the people can help keep stunning.

UnsentSoul
11-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Obviously........

xerxesofthe
11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
sory but i loooove to stun. in the first five minutes of manhunt i can get 5000+ points from stun. i morph then my pusur kills the wrong guy and another makes the same mistake stun them both from behind and then keep punching everytime they get up. it takes skill to become what i cal a stun brawler and it usaly has nothing to do with lag http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

zz_Midge_zz
11-22-2010, 06:27 PM
yah, how come when your opponents backs are turned and you stealthily walk up and stun like the game intends you to do, every time without fail do i get executed for 500+ points? theres no way thats lag because if it is, then a definate fine tuneup is needed towards the servers because this is getting ridiculous

Nick1021
11-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Here is something worse. I see my pursuer run RIGHT up to me. I throw a smoke bomb and lock on to my pursuer. I was close enough to poison if he was my target. And I was spamming the B button for like 3 seconds straight. And no stun, he kill me. I spawn, I'm his pursuer now, he throws a smoke and I miss my attack and he stuns me.

amovngtarget
11-23-2010, 04:06 PM
I was in a game earlier when a guy walked up to me. I knew he was my hunter and it was obvious the way he was moving and everything. So he starts getting close and I mute him then start hitting B but nothing happened and he just poisoned me. Another time the guy came running at me so I smoked him and started hiting B nothing happened until the smoke stopped and then he just does the counter stun and killed me. And if stun is not meant to be relied upon then they should give us something else. If your abilities are on cooldown and your hunter is near you most of the time you cant run away because they run faster then you.

Raggy91
11-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Is there a way to counter the stun move? Cause I'm in the middle of stunning some guy and then he just kills me and he walks away fine? WTF am I missing something here? It was fine in the beta for me but now half the time I do it I end up dead...

Do people hold O to stun or just tap it?

obliviondoll
11-23-2010, 08:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Raggy91:
Is there a way to counter the stun move? Cause I'm in the middle of stunning some guy and then he just kills me and he walks away fine? WTF am I missing something here? It was fine in the beta for me but now half the time I do it I end up dead...

Do people hold O to stun or just tap it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I mash it (rapid tapping).

Rarely works to walk up to someone and do it (some people have trouble doing it using smoke - I did in the beta, but haven't since release). Best bet is to be in a crowd and have your pursuer trying to get one of your clones - then hit from behind.

FANIS1993
11-23-2010, 10:10 PM
well if you play some more and try to stun someone then finally you will succeed, i have stun a lot pursuers since now and its easy to say the truth. to achieve that then, if you understand that your pursuer is close to you or when you see the red arrow then throw a smoke bomb then stun them, thats easy if you have smoke bombs. the other thing to do is to disguise at that time when you see your pursuer go next to him and stun him again. but anw the game actually is not about stunning your pursuer but killing and getting bonus. so try to make always bonus kills like a silent kill and you will rank very high even if you get killed 100 times. its the way you kill your target that matters to win not how many players you kill. thats why some people who are killing with rush and many targets are always last because of that. if the time comes to stun your pursuer then stun him but don't try to get close to your pursuer to stun him. also you said about munhunt well to get high with your team try to blend with the crowd change disguise and bring always smoke bombs if you are a victim, if you are a hunter now then disguise or run around to where your target is. you are not always gonna get stun but if you do don't give up its how you kill remember and then if you are a victim you'll get even more points if you blend if you stun, if you escape

obliviondoll
11-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Said before, will say again... Many times, probably...

Stun is best used when you've already got away, basically to show off that your pursuer screwed up and lost you.

When you're in a corner and there's a morph group next to you that the pursuer's trying to pick you out of, and you come up behind him for the stun, or when you're disguised and the pursuer is about to try and kill your lookalike because you're another character....

THAT is how you stun.

Smoke + stun can work, but it can be unreliable at times, because if you use it too early, they won't stay caught in smoke long enough, and if you do it too late, lag can make you die before the smoke goes off.

UnsentSoul
11-24-2010, 08:26 PM
So if that's the case obliviondoll, when you stun someone from behind after they ran past you and they grab 1 of your arms and flip you over and kill you what happened there? Is it just the timing? Because when it says to hit "b" I do and then get pwned. I'm taking it that that never happened to you or anyone else? It's just a timing issue right? Interesting.

UnsentSoul
11-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Don't even bother reading the original post there lazar? Nice job. Thanks for quoting ubi again. Not a bad idea wait for them to kill someone, like I haven't tried that before.... Hmmmm

UnsentSoul
11-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Nice job lazar... Stating the obvious...thanks so much.

UnsentSoul
11-24-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I don't care if you think I whine. 100's of people I'm sure including yourself found a few moments where you had no idea why whats happening is happening. Maybe not. I don't really care. Obviously there's a problem with the stun mechanics. I apologize for getting your name wrong. The more I play the more easy it is to stun people but still almost every game atleast once I see some weird stuff happen.

DeafAtheist
11-25-2010, 01:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UnsentSoul:These guys would run right up to you look at you face to face and stun you. I don't think there is an explanation for this but obviously when I try to do anything like this I get x'ed out like no other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like they are using the Charge ability. I've not played much Manhunt or Alliance but I hear the Charge ability is quite effective against pursuers in Manhunt.