PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is this called?

Shodan-
08-30-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm trying to remember what it's called, when you pickle at low alt, to remove a pesky bandit off your six.

I did it recently to a friend, and he's not believing me, so i'm trying to youtube some vids of it.

Thanks

Shodan-
08-30-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm trying to remember what it's called, when you pickle at low alt, to remove a pesky bandit off your six.

I did it recently to a friend, and he's not believing me, so i'm trying to youtube some vids of it.

Thanks

MEGILE
08-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Extremely Hazardous.

Shodan-
08-30-2007, 01:10 PM
lol, no, isn't it like "***** bombing" or something similar? Who the hell is your sig pic?

Jediteo
08-30-2007, 01:10 PM
I heard someone call it the shocker, I call it the "ouch"

ploughman
08-30-2007, 01:16 PM
In a film called "By Dawn's Early Light" Powers Booth and R DeMornay do it to a pair of Mig-25s with a Hydrogen bomb.

They were in a B-52.

MEGILE
08-30-2007, 01:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shodan-:
Who the hell is your sig pic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know. She just appeared one day and wouldn't leave.

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/8098/rosemcgowankf2.jpg

flox
08-30-2007, 01:28 PM
You might get some serious responses if you give a better explanation of the maneuver. I for one have no idea what you're talking about when you say "pickle".

Whirlin_merlin
08-30-2007, 01:28 PM
This was a hot topic of discusion recently at the UK dedicated forums where the term 'egging' was used with much gusto.

Shodan-
08-30-2007, 01:31 PM
being chased on the deck by some bandit. Drop bomb with incredibly short bomb delay. bomb skips on ground... enemy plane flys over bomb. Bomb blows up, bomb kills enemy plane (or at least removes some wings).

Fin.

Is it commonly known as something? checking egging now.

Shodan-
08-30-2007, 01:36 PM
yea no vids on the youtube for egging, or anything close. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

neural_dream
08-30-2007, 01:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shodan-:
being chased on the deck by some bandit. Drop bomb with incredibly short bomb delay. bomb skips on ground... enemy plane flys over bomb. Bomb blows up, bomb kills enemy plane (or at least removes some wings).

Fin.

Is it commonly known as something? checking egging now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No because it doesn't exist. Egging is simply the term used for bombing in unified battlefield games.

Xiolablu3
08-30-2007, 01:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flox:
You might get some serious responses if you give a better explanation of the maneuver. I for one have no idea what you're talking about when you say "pickle". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pickle means to bomb release in flight terms.

flox
08-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Hmm. Never heard that before. ^^

claypidgon
08-30-2007, 01:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/8098/rosemcgowankf2.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what do you do with her then????

Bearcat99
08-30-2007, 01:58 PM
I dont know if it has a specific name.. I have done it with success more than once. One time I took out a bridge too.

Xiolablu3
08-30-2007, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flox:
Hmm. Never heard that before. ^^ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Pickle Button
A thumb-actuated "bomb" button, located on the aircraft control stick.'

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/3227/jargon.htm

Its quite new to me too. I only just found out what it meant recently when 'Sharkey' Ward (Mr Sea Harrier) used it in his book about the Falklands Air War.

He talked about 'pickling' the bomb release.

Shodan-
08-30-2007, 02:09 PM
well does anyone have a link to this technique as evidence, gotta do the whole prove the friend, laugh go have beer deal.

JG51_Rudel
08-30-2007, 02:19 PM
I did that by accident in Forgotten Skies. I was flying a Fw-190A5 with an Sc500 bomb. We were diving on target and my target was destroyed, just then a Spit decides to drop down on me, I still have the bomb and i pressed the release trigger by accident, next thing i know, i get and message saying "enemy aircraft destroyed".

Xiolablu3
08-30-2007, 02:25 PM
well does anyone have a link to this technique as evidence, gotta do the whole prove the friend, laugh go have beer deal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its quite common mate, if he doesnt believe you then just have him play on a dogfight server for a few nights - it will happen.

Divine-Wind
08-30-2007, 02:46 PM
I call it... The-dive-down-and-pickle-when-followed-by-Spitn00b-manuever.\

Or you can just call it the TDDPWFSN move.

luftluuver
08-30-2007, 02:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Hmm. Never heard that before. ^^ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Pickle Button
A thumb-actuated "bomb" button, located on the aircraft control stick.'

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/3227/jargon.htm

Its quite new to me too. I only just found out what it meant recently when 'Sharkey' Ward (Mr Sea Harrier) used it in his book about the Falklands Air War.

He talked about 'pickling' the bomb release. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Most likely had its origins in the pickle barrel of Norton bomb sight fame.

flox
08-30-2007, 02:52 PM
I almost commented that I had heard it in that context. Memphis Belle was my favorite movie as a kid. I can still hear Matthew Modine saying "We gotta put these bombs right in the pickle barrel... if we don't do it somebody's gonna have to come back again and do it for us."

Aviar
08-30-2007, 02:59 PM
I've been playing this sim for over 5 years and I'm sure I've done it online sucessfully over 100 times....maybe a lot more.

At first, I practiced it offline many, many times until I got really good at it. Now it comes as second nature. Skipping two 1000 lb. bombs and blowing up 2 bandits right on your tail is one of the most fun things you can do...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You'll usually get one of three responses when you unexpectedly blow up the guy on your tail who thought he had an easy kill:

1. Nice!

This is usually a veteran player who knows exactly what happened and appreciates the skill needed to pull it off. Although they know what you did, they were never expecting it.

2. WTF happened???

This is usually a newer player (although I've done it to many veteran players who had no clue) who probably has no clue that what happened was even possible. When you tell them what you did, they are usually amazed.

3. Silence

About 50% of these players know what happened and are so angry that they won't say a word. The other 50% don't know what happened and for whatever reason don't say anything at all.

A certain number of players think that they hit one of Oleg's 'invisible' trees (since this move needs to be performed at very low altitudes). When I tell them the truth, some of them refuse to believe it. I love that the most.

As for what this move is called, that's a good question. It's so cool that it should have a name.

Aviar

BrewsterPilot
08-30-2007, 03:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aviar:
I've been playing this sim for over 5 years and I'm sure I've done it online sucessfully over 100 times....maybe a lot more.

At first, I practiced it offline many, many times until I got really good at it. Now it comes as second nature. Skipping two 1000 lb. bombs and blowing up 2 bandits right on your tail is one of the most fun things you can do...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You'll usually get one of three responses when you unexpectedly blow up the guy on your tail who thought he had an easy kill:

1. Nice!

This is usually a veteran player who knows exactly what happened and appreciates the skill needed to pull it off. Although they know what you did, they were never expecting it.

2. WTF happened???

This is usually a newer player (although I've done it to many veteran players who had no clue) who probably has no clue that what happened was even possible. When you tell them what you did, they are usually amazed.

3. Silence

About 50% of these players know what happened and are so angry that they won't say a word. The other 50% don't know what happened and for whatever reason don't say anything at all.

A certain number of players think that they hit one of Oleg's 'invisible' trees (since this move needs to be performed at very low altitudes). When I tell them the truth, some of them refuse to believe it. I love that the most.

As for what this move is called, that's a good question. It's so cool that it should have a name.

Aviar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uuuggghhhh...
Any training track with techniques? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

Xiolablu3
08-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Just get low, around 200m. Bomb delay on 3 or 4 secs.

Drop when hes chasing. Hes likely to get caught in the blast if hes around 1000m behind, with your bomb delay on 4 secs..

Last one I took out like this was a Bf109G2 and I was in a La5 with those small 2x100kg bombs, so you dont need big bombs.

russ.nl
08-30-2007, 03:12 PM
E.L.A.B.B.
Extremely Low Altitude Bandid Bombing!

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Cheap? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Divine-Wind
08-30-2007, 05:00 PM
I almost commented that I had heard it in that context. Memphis Belle was my favorite movie as a kid. I can still hear Matthew Modine saying "We gotta put these bombs right in the pickle barrel... if we don't do it somebody's gonna have to come back again and do it for us." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same here... Hold on a sec while I go watch it again...

Choctaw111
08-30-2007, 05:11 PM
That is quite a coincidence you bring this up. I just did this to my son last night! He was chasing my wounded 335 in his Tempest (after a botched up vulch attempt during my takeoff (that sissy)) and thought he had my number. Well, guess what? I had the BIG BOMB tucked away with a 3 second delay and brought him down to the deck to get him to think he was going to finish me off. All I heard from the next room was a very loud "WHAT THE HECK!!!!!" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

PF_Coastie
08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Its called "sour Bombing" when you take out an enemy aircraft that is chasing you by releasing your bomb and letting him fly through your bomb blast.

fabianfred
08-30-2007, 08:01 PM
now i've heard it all.....I've never had a bridge on my six before bearcat!

and those 'invisible' trees are only invisible on lower graphic settings....but even if you can see them...they are not real...so you can fly through them OK

Skycat_2
08-30-2007, 08:25 PM
No fabianfred, the individual trees may be phantasms but the forests are killers. As you know, since they are rendered as thin layers stacked parallel to the ground (and without trunks) you can hardly see the edge of the forest from the side. If you're kissing weeds with your scoop and not paying attention, a whole forest might sneak up on you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

As for the term 'pickling' I recall reading that the name came from the shape/color of a bomb release handle at some point in aviation history. But then again I probably read it in a post in a forum somewhere so take that for what it is worth.

Skycat_2
08-30-2007, 10:19 PM
'Pickle' seems to refer to the bombs themselves and 'pickling' seems to refer to various actions performed with that bomb. The term 'pickling' seems to have different connotations for different aircrew specialties over a range of eras including contemporary.

I imagine that 'pickle' might have originated with the small bombs that WWI airmen manually dropped from their planes and balloons. Regardless, during WWII the Norden was famed for being able to 'drop bombs down a pickle barrel' from high altitudes. Robert Morgan wrote about arriving in England with the 91st BG in his memoir The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle:
"The RAF had not had access to the Norden, and the Germans were licking their chops to lay hands on its makeup. Meanwhile, the Army Air Forces had it and we were itching to show our British friends how it could 'drop a bomb down a pickle barrel.'"

I think that instead of this claim leading to the general use of the term 'pickle,' the word was already being used to describe bombs and so 'pickle barrel' was the code word for the assigned target. I cite as my evidence items from this article about a U.S. B-17 mission (http://www.uwyo.edu/armyrotc/bh_blackthursday.asp):
- "Bombs were away at 14:54. All fell in the MPI. The roar on the intercom was 'PICKLE BARREL!'"
- "I related how we had been forced to dive for our lives and that, when we recovered, the target lay dead ahead. How all the men volunteered so that we had a perfect bomb run and how Elliott had 'pickle-barreled' the target."

I also found a reference on the 482nd BG unit history website (http://usaaf.com/8thaf/bomber/482bg.HTM) to the unit conducting 'pickling' sorties:
- "Unit ceased regular operations late in March but continued to undertake special operations, notably D-Day when 18 crews were provided to lead bomb groups.Transferred Composite Command Feb. 1944 when emphasis shifted to training radar operators. Initially with RAF instructors, and courses begun on 21 February 1944. Training and experimentation remained its chief role for the remainder of war. From August 1944 to April 1945, and conducted 202 radar scope and 'pickling' sorties over hostile territory without loss: 45 tons bombs."

In post-WWII usage, 'pickling off' bombs seems to mean releasing them. For the author of The Further Tales of Youthly Puresome (http://www.tailhook.org/Wi97yth.htm) it is part of common vernacular:
- "Puresome's favorite nuclear delivery was to pull up 30 degrees pitch from 100 feet altitude and 500 knots, roll inverted, pickle off the ******ed bomb when a point went by the canopy bow, then pull down and roll upright to escape, lickedy-split, in the original direction."
- "Since the controller would yell at him if he cheated and pressed the target, he squeezed the bomb pickle on the stick and pulled out of his dive, grunting from the effects of the four g's required to get his nose pointed back up into the sky."

Similarly, from the recollections of a B-57 Canberra bomb loader (http://www.b-57canberra.org/armament.htm):
"The B-man's first job was in the pre-check of the aircraft weapon system. He would climb up into the cockpit and pickle off all the bomb racks while the rest of the crew checked to make sure the racks would release."

Here's a reference to 'pickle button' as it is used in the F-117 Stealth (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/gulf/weapons/stealth.html):
- "After acquiring the target, the pilot positions the cross hairs of his weapon system on the aimpoint and actuates the laser designataor by depressing a button on his throttle. The computer takes over, and when the pilot depresses the consent ( or "pickle") button, releases the weapon at a point in flight from which it can home in on the laser energy reflected from the aimpoint."

JimmyBlonde
08-30-2007, 11:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:
Extremely Hazardous. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not with 3 second delay.

JimmyBlonde
08-30-2007, 11:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:
'Pickle' seems to refer to the bombs themselves and 'pickling' seems to refer to various actions performed with that bomb. The term 'pickling' seems to have different connotations for different aircrew specialties over a range of eras including contemporary.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reference to the Norden bombsights alleged ability to drop a bomb into a pickle barrel from 20,000ft.

Skycat_2
08-31-2007, 12:18 AM
But why does the Norden's reputation surround its ability to hit a pickle barrel? Why not a rain barrel or a flour barrel? In reference after reference, the pickle barrel plays an important part of the folklore.

Perhaps the phrase comes directly from a training manual or film. This would explain why it is so commonly used by WWII American bomber crews to describe pinpoint accuracy. So maybe it was a phrase that the Norden bombsight people invented. I submit that the image of pickles landing in a barrel is similar to green bombs landing within a target circle on a range.

I couldn't find any example of WWII airmen calling bomb releases 'pickle switches', 'bomb pickle' or 'pickle buttons,' or where their releasing that ordnance is called 'pickling off.' That doesn't rule out the possibility that these phrases were in use during WWII of course. Maybe colorful descriptions of pinpoint bombing ("pickle barrel!") evolved to the jargon 'pickling off' and 'pressing the pickle' a decade or two later, but I can't prove it. It does seem logical that there is more than a coincidental relationship between the various pickle references though.

luftluuver
08-31-2007, 03:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I imagine that 'pickle' might have originated with the small bombs that WWI airmen manually dropped from their planes and balloons. Regardless, during WWII the Norden was famed for being able to 'drop bombs down a pickle barrel' from high altitudes. Robert Morgan wrote about arriving in England with the 91st BG in his memoir The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle:
"The RAF had not had access to the Norden, and the Germans were licking their chops to lay hands on its makeup. Meanwhile, the Army Air Forces had it and we were itching to show our British friends how it could 'drop a bomb down a pickle barrel.'" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Germans already had a Norden. Their Lofte bomb sight was based on the Norden, for which plans had been 'obtained' pre-war.

luftluuver
08-31-2007, 03:27 AM
Pickle Barrel Bombing was a spin-off from a new radar system, touted to be accurate within fifty feet from a distance of fifty miles. They thought the idea was simple. Send a bunch of P-47s out over solid cloud cover at 10,000 ft. and 250 mph. in tight formation. Guide them to the target with the new radar, and tell them exactly when to drop their bombs. Bingo! It was a great idea, but it wasn't working.

The operation was run out of a site well back of the lines. A Norden Bombsight was hooked up to the new radar, and specially trained bombardiers that gave the order to drop the bombs. We bellyached that these guys were probably yelling, "Bombs Away!" and rushing out for a shot and a beer to ease their "combat fatigue." They probably even expected D.F.C.s for heroism. Damn it, they weren't the ones getting shot at - we were!

At 10,000 ft. and 250 mph., flying straight and level in tight formation, we were sitting ducks for the German radar controlled 88mm flak. Pickle Barrel Bombing missions had turned us into a bunch of lousy bomber pilots. We hated these missions.

On this mission there would be one critical difference- there would be no cloud cover. With clear skies the General hoped to find out why "Pickle Barrel" wasn't working. The idea was nuts! Cloud cover was the only protection we had. If we'd been sitting ducks before, we'd be dead ducks now. Our only hope was we'd be flying behind a two star general's skirts. The Germans wouldn't dare shoot him down!

Why the 36th Fighter Group was chosen for this mission, I have no idea - even more why the 23rd Fighter Squadron was selected, and even more than that why we three were picked.

So was not just BGs but also FGs.

Sounds like a code word for what was to be high precision bombing.

http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/wright/wright.htm

luftluuver
08-31-2007, 03:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:
But why does the Norden's reputation surround its ability to hit a pickle barrel? Why not a rain barrel or a flour barrel? In reference after reference, the pickle barrel plays an important part of the folklore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Because a pickle barrel is smaller than a rain barrel.

Von_Rat
08-31-2007, 03:48 AM
does anyone have a RL account of someone actually sourbombing in ww2. i.e. dropping bomb at low alt to kill pursuing figher.

or is this just a another way of gaming the game.

btw, in the movie failsafe a bomber did it, but it was a NUKE.

Skycat_2
08-31-2007, 07:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by luftluuver:
A Norden Bombsight was hooked up to the new radar, and specially trained bombardiers that gave the order to drop the bombs.

So was not just BGs but also FGs.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Interesting. That appears to tie in with the 'pickle' sorties attributed to the 482nd BG after it went to radar operations in 1944. Okay, so now we have FGs using the same language that BGs had been using since the beginning of the war.

I looked over my copy of Down To Earth, a collection of advice on ground attack written in late 1944 by seasoned 8th AF fighter pilots. While most of the essays were about strafing, some included advice on dive, glide and skip bombing. In no context was the word 'pickle' used. That may or may not prove anything.

It occurred to me this morning that many WWII bomb groups transitioned to jets later, and that veteran combat pilots stayed on active duty into the 1960s and 1970s. Therein may lay a clue towards 'bomb pickle' on the control stick and 'pickling off' bombs onto a target. Or maybe the shape of the bomb release button in a certain aircraft design looked obviously like a pickle?

han freak solo
08-31-2007, 05:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by claypidgon:

So what do you do with her then???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear he gives her a pickle tickle.

Codex1971
08-31-2007, 05:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by han freak solo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by claypidgon:

I hear he gives her a pickle tickle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Her name is Rose McGowan...better known for her role as "Paige Matthews" in Charmed....mmmmmmmm.....Charmed.

Rammjaeger
09-01-2007, 08:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Codex1971:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by han freak solo:

I hear he gives her a pickle tickle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Her name is Rose McGowan... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easy to find out, just click on it and choose "Save image as..." and look at the name http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

MEGILE
09-01-2007, 08:46 AM
The filename is rosemcgowankf2.jpg http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Korolov1986
09-01-2007, 08:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Von_Rat:
does anyone have a RL account of someone actually sourbombing in ww2. i.e. dropping bomb at low alt to kill pursuing figher. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although unintentional, there was a case of a P-38 in the pacific that nailed a Zeke with a bomb:

http://p-38online.com/faurot.html

I'm sure there's plenty of other instances.