PDA

View Full Version : HOTAS for console sims...

Bearcat99
01-08-2005, 12:45 PM
http://image1.play-asia.com/170/PA.14689.001.jpg (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-70-bc1.html)

It will never replace a PC sim but with this little gizmo.... I am just wondering.... would it be possible for 1C to make a console version of FB? It would be great for sales and introduce a whole new generation to the genre. The console version could not neccessarilly be as powerfull as the PC version but powerfull enough to give a console gamer a full taste of the beauty of the sim.

Bearcat99
01-08-2005, 12:45 PM
http://image1.play-asia.com/170/PA.14689.001.jpg (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-70-bc1.html)

It will never replace a PC sim but with this little gizmo.... I am just wondering.... would it be possible for 1C to make a console version of FB? It would be great for sales and introduce a whole new generation to the genre. The console version could not neccessarilly be as powerfull as the PC version but powerfull enough to give a console gamer a full taste of the beauty of the sim.

x6BL_Brando
01-08-2005, 12:59 PM
No personal offence meant BC, but wouldn't that be akin to reproducing some great novel in comic-book format? Some things just aren't meant to be dumbed-down - I suggest that the IL2 series is one of them.

Bearcat99
01-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Hey.... Im just sayin......... If its on a console it would have to be dumbed down I would think.... As a kid didnt you ever do a book report on those classic comic books..? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I did one on Ivanhoe......got a 90 on it too... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

horseback
01-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Way to go, wreck the grading curve for those of us who struggled through the whole book! Me, I watched the movie--Liz Taylor used to be amazingly hot!!!

cheers

horseback

AtorianPaladin
01-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Bearcat, from what iv seen of a console sim, the most "realistic" is ace combat. i had some of my friends come over, and i let them play AEP with full dif settings, because they said they were so good at flight sims. it was so funny. I think one of them lastes 2 min before stalling the FW they were flying.

I say, let the console crowd stick with secret weapons over normandy and Ace Comabt 5

Bearcat99
01-08-2005, 05:15 PM
LOL.. Actually that is the sim that the stick is for. AFAIC PC sims offer the best flexibility.

LStarosta
01-08-2005, 07:57 PM
I think it's a joke that they have HOTAS for PS2.

GAU-8
01-08-2005, 08:47 PM
WHY?

ask anyone who ISNT a flight sim dork like us...will say the same thing about our gear. nothing wrong with it.. if that console hardware gets a few people excited, and they want "MORE!" they will trickle over here. at least someone with a HOTAS for for AC5, is trying to simulate, something CLOSER to what vision we all are aimed at. i like it

GAU-8
01-08-2005, 08:53 PM
intersting..check this out. the article says its USB, identical to the X45, but is made for the playstation, they then loaded saitek drivers for it, didnt work, but a link on their provides drivers for the HORI product to be used for PC. interesting..of course just get an x45 and save the time.

oh yeah the link http://gear.ign.com/articles/562/562988p1.html

noshens
01-08-2005, 09:10 PM
BUT YOU CAN'T PATCH CONSOLE GAMES!

Cajun76
01-08-2005, 09:32 PM
It's not exactly an X-45. The buttons on the stick are arranged differently, and one of the mode switches on the throttle isn't there, just a piece of plastic that looks like one. In any case, for a game like AC5 the regular controller is better for quick response. It's much like AC4, but with wingman commands being the most notable difference. Fun, but only a cheap fling compared to IL2/PF. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

LStarosta
01-08-2005, 10:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GAU-8:
WHY?

ask anyone who ISNT a flight sim dork like us...will say the same thing about our gear. nothing wrong with it.. if that console hardware gets a few people excited, and they want "MORE!" they will trickle over here. at least someone with a HOTAS for for AC5, is trying to simulate, something CLOSER to what vision we all are aimed at. i like it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's NOT my point.

Having HOTAS for PS2 is like...

Using a pressure washer for a water gun fight. It's stupid, it's a joke, and you can get people hurt.

GAU-8
01-09-2005, 02:54 AM
your probably right.

:dumps HOTAS in trashbin: HEY! a keyboard! thats more like it!

:dumps track-IR in trashbin: holy smokes! a MOUSE! and it follows my hand where ever i move it!

obviously youve never been to a water gun/pressure washer fight, its fun, the joke is on the water gun user, and if they call it quits soon enuff. nobody gets hurt :P

WUAF_Badsight
01-09-2005, 04:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by noshens:
BUT YOU CAN'T PATCH CONSOLE GAMES! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
certian Xbox games already have patches released

at the end of 2005 the PS3 will be released with a HardDrive & broadband readiness , & more importantly , a massive amount of CPU & GPU power , as will the Xbox-2

hundreds of thousands of teenagers & adults already game over the internet on Consoles

Consoles are the future of Gaming . . . . sadly

without Maddox Games , where would we all be ? . . . . . . CFS 2 & 3 *shudders* ,

WUAF_Badsight
01-09-2005, 04:28 AM
when the Xbox was released , it had the most advanced Nvidea GF4 Mx440 chipset available

it actually had a GPU that was capable of higher FPS than the best Nvidea GPU available for the PC

we have come a long way since the GF4 Mx440 graphic card . . . . . . . that & the lower resolution possible on the average 50 Hz tube TV means PC games will always look nicer

if consoles could have upgradeable CPU's &/or GPU's then they would totally be adversarys for gaming goodness over PC's

loads of games dont need 3.0 Ghz to run fast & are perfectly smooth & fun on the Xbox

Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas is really showing how **** the PS2 is now tho (& that Saitek X-36 joystick that bearcat99 is showing is the joystick included with the Ace Combat 5 bundle)

Airmail109
01-09-2005, 05:18 AM
I personally think that MS would do well by releasing CFS3 for the xbox. It wouldnt tarnish IL2s reputation and I could have lans against my mates which would be great. I though would still prefer IL2s realism on the PC.

WUAF_Badsight
01-09-2005, 06:14 AM
thats actually a great idea !

it would be like the ultimate CFS for the consoles

BelaLvgosi
01-09-2005, 07:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WUAF_Badsight:
when the Xbox was released , it had the most advanced Nvidea GF4 Mx440 chipset available
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahem, it's a modified gf3 at 233mhz (with shader support of course, and that's mostly the reason why the ps2 looks so older), still it was only based in a celeron 733mhz with 64mb of 200mhz ddr shared for both gpu and cpu. The gf4mx series where just gf2's (no shader support), gf3's are a much more advanced design.

LStarosta
01-09-2005, 08:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GAU-8:
your probably right.

:dumps HOTAS in trashbin: HEY! a keyboard! thats more like it!

:dumps track-IR in trashbin: holy smokes! a MOUSE! and it follows my hand where ever i move it!

obviously youve never been to a water gun/pressure washer fight, its fun, the joke is on the water gun user, and if they call it quits soon enuff. nobody gets hurt :P <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, you are missing my point. Many people can fly a sim many times more complex than Ace Combat with a simple Saitek Cyborg Evo. Having a HOTAS system for PS2 is overkill.

TrackIR is a good thing to have because it expands functionality.

HOTAS is a good thing to have for PC because you can actually take advantage of its features.

HOTAS for the PS2 is only bigger, bulkier, and adds little to no additional functionality as compared to a regular joystick; you're not using all those extra buttons anyway!

It's a waste of money, IMO. Then again, some people live for this kind of stuff. Go figure. Whatever floats your boat.

WUAF_Badsight
01-09-2005, 02:50 PM
that wasnt the point tho , the point of the package is to give AC:5 buyers something flash for them to feel more of a flight simmer than just using the D-pad ( lol )

& i didnt realise that about the GF3 over GF4 Mx's , what did happen is that the GF4 MX's didnt get released untill a month after the Xbox had its release

the Xbox-2 is getting its GPU developed by ATI (hope they get around to 32 bit colour by then ! )