PDA

View Full Version : joystick??

the_belgrader
10-11-2008, 05:36 AM
hi i'm newbie..
can somebody recommend which joysticks are good enough for decent playing il-2? thanks

the_belgrader
10-11-2008, 05:36 AM
hi i'm newbie..
can somebody recommend which joysticks are good enough for decent playing il-2? thanks

Jabout
10-11-2008, 05:58 AM
Microsoft Force Feedback 2

Doesn't have enough buttons, so get something like the "joy to key" software which effectively almost doubles them.

dirkpit7
10-11-2008, 06:29 AM
Saitek Aviator should be a good choice for first joystick. It's cheap, has twist axis, 2 throttle axis and is programmable. If you find the sim good and want to invest more for equipment, then get a HOTAS and rudder pedals.

Tully__
10-11-2008, 06:33 AM
My personal preferences:

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/joysticks.htm
Saitek Cyborg Evo
Saitek Aviator
Saitek X-52 / X-52 Pro

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/index.html
CH Products Combat Stick or Fighter Stick

If you can find any Microsoft sticks they're good, but Microsoft stopped making PC game controllers several years ago.

Chris0382
10-11-2008, 06:45 AM
If you dont desire force feedback, Ide spend extra to get a CH-Fighterstick.

If you are going to also play FP-Shooters with the controller, I would then consider a CH Combastick instead.

The fighterstick is mainly all hat switches and has changeble modes (more commands than you will need for most games)/ If you are playing the full game realism, Ide go for the FS as you have all sorts of commands to program and it frees you up from using a keyboard (sit back and fly).

The Combatstick is hats and buttons. I find it hard to play FPS games with just hats so thats why I like the CS for FPS games.

Joy2key simply assigns one button to be used as a shift button that needs to be held down in order to double the buttons (much better if it was a toggle), CH-Products does the same and has a nice pinky button for this.

With the modes, the FS becomes almost infinit while the CS is just doubled.

dirkpit7
10-11-2008, 06:59 AM
With a CH stick you also have to buy rudder pedals and it doubles the price. That's something to remember.

redhornet07
10-11-2008, 07:32 AM
I fully recommend a CH Products Fighterstick joystick. I have one and it is the best stick I've ever had. They are pricey but they will last and are extremely versatile because of the amount of programming you can do with them.

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/j_fighter_usb.html

redhornet07
10-11-2008, 07:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirkpit7:
With a CH stick you also have to buy rudder pedals and it doubles the price. That's something to remember. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. I have a Fighterstick without pedals and can fly well. You can use 2 keys on the keyboard for rudder control.

jayhall0315
10-11-2008, 09:26 AM
I have the CH Fighterstick and it can be summed up with two words; precision and toughness. For a retail part (and not some custom one off job that costs hundreds of dollars) it is a damn high-end product. I also have the CH Pro Throttle and Pedals and they are very nice as well, although the Fighterstick is the crown jewel of their HOTAS.

Once you get that stick and want to see how to set it up with IL2 1946, take a look at this guide:
http://files.filefront.com/Newbies+Joystick+Revisedpdf/...73755;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/Newbies+Joystick+Revisedpdf/;11873755;/fileinfo.html)

Cheers,
Jay

Frenchie_334th
10-11-2008, 10:32 AM
+1 on the CH fighter stick/pedals

Sokol__1
10-11-2008, 10:50 AM
A new twin throttle option from Saitek, Cyborg X.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/cyx.htm

His style combines with ... Lerche. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Sokol1

Sirrith
10-11-2008, 01:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redhornet07:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirkpit7:
With a CH stick you also have to buy rudder pedals and it doubles the price. That's something to remember. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. I have a Fighterstick without pedals and can fly well. You can use 2 keys on the keyboard for rudder control. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You dont have precise control of your rudder when flying with the keyboard. Also, flying "well" is subjective.

For a first joystick, I wouldn't suggest a x52 or CH stick... Go with one of the cheaper saitek products, a aviator, or st290, or an evo for a slightly higher price.

zecek51
10-11-2008, 01:53 PM
I have used a Microsoft force feedback 2 since 2003 and it has never let me down. I'm sure a set of pedals would be better but as a start, the FF2 is a brilliant joystick and I can't understand why Microsoft stopped making it.

redhornet07
10-11-2008, 04:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sirrith:
You dont have precise control of your rudder when flying with the keyboard. Also, flying "well" is subjective.

For a first joystick, I wouldn't suggest a x52 or CH stick... Go with one of the cheaper saitek products, a aviator, or st290, or an evo for a slightly higher price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, yes I'll agree with that. However for a beginner getting the pedals isn't neccessary because you can learn to fly pretty well without the exacting precision the pedals give you.

I'd still recommend the Fighterstick. Of all the sticks I've used over the years the Fighterstick is far and away the best one out there (I've used Gravis, Logitech and Thrustmaster). However if you don't want to spend over $100, try the Flightstick Pro. Only 3 buttons and a hat switch, but totally programmable and has CH quality.

Can anyone tell I have a product bias....... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Sirrith
10-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Sorry, I should have explained myself a bit more, I was thinking more along the lines of him getting a cheaper joystick with a twist rudder to see if he enjoys the sim first, instead of buying an expensive joystick and rudder pedals (or in the case of the x52, an expensive joystick with twist rudder) then finding out after a couple of weeks that he doesn't actually like it that much http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chris0382
10-11-2008, 05:23 PM
For rudder control, I have spent many hours writing and debugging a CH-Products CMS script (easily implemented) to use a hat as a very responsive rudder. The script works very well.

For fine rudder control, I have another script that allows turning another hat into an analog slider and that also works well.

Who needs the peddles???

FoolTrottel
10-11-2008, 05:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Who needs the peddles??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think I do...

Well, maybe not 'need' 'm, but I want 'm, and try and make good use of 'm. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Love 'm...

Sirrith
10-11-2008, 05:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris0382:
For rudder control, I have spent many hours writing and debugging a CH-Products CMS script (easily implemented) to use a hat as a very responsive rudder. The script works very well.

For fine rudder control, I have another script that allows turning another hat into an analog slider and that also works well.

Who needs the peddles??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
tbh... I'd take a twist rudder over using the hat switch as a rudder, even a slider style rudder, anyday. And even with the hat switch rudder, it still won't save him more money than buying a cheaper stick if he decides he doesn't like the game after a week or 2 :P

Chris0382
10-11-2008, 07:14 PM
I wouldnt want my main rudder control on a slider unless it can automatically return to center. I also never use rudder trim so non-center-returnable are not used by me for main rudder control.

I guess some complain that twist stick rudders sometime inadvertantly twist when not wanted (I dont really know).

I used to us a Flight Stick Pro with the Y-axis spring removed and Y-axis stiffened. I assigned its X-axis as a rudder and used th Y-axis as an elevator trim. That worked nice until I programmed the hat rudder script.

Today I USE A X-52 throttle and a Combatstick and enjoy the setup. I do have fine rudder movement on a slider only for gunnery (aiming) and us the hat rudder for dogfighting and manuvering (main rudder).

PhantomKira
10-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Microsoft Force Feedback 2 is:

1. Expensive

2. Discontinued, as far as I know

3. Very, very nice, in my oppinion.

I really, really like mine, (It's heavy, has a nice wide base, nicely positioned throttle, twist-stick rudder) but have been having slight problems recently with the hat switch connections not working 100% of the time. Finally, it's ergonomically designed for right handed use. Very comfortable for such use, but you can pretty much forget about left handed use.

Look elsewhere for a cheapie, but be prepared to buy a nicer one right off the bat if he remains interested. Most cheapies are worth what you pay for them: they're junk.

Stiletto-
10-12-2008, 01:00 AM
I'd go with the Saitek Aviator, it's cheap enough and has alot of cool buttons and 2 throttle sliders, why would people suggest CH Products to him when maybe he doesn't even get into this sim? CH products are great (I own some of them) but I would never suggest going out and buying the top of the line stuff right away to a beginner when he can have pretty much have the same enjoyment from a good 30-40 dollar joystick.

Sirrith
10-12-2008, 01:22 AM
Cheap joysticks arent exactly bad... My st290 pro cost me $30 or so (I cant remember how much exactly) and I'm very happy with it. Although I am thinking of getting an x52 and rudder pedals (I'd get CH, but I want the throttle, and I dont want to pay another $100 for the CH throttle) because I think I could use the extra buttons :P

lesterhawksby
10-12-2008, 02:36 AM
I second Sirrith about the ST290pro as a good basic joystick! I have one because my old'un broke while I was skint and the 290 was all I could afford at the time. I was surprised to find it a lot better than any other cheap stick I've had and not a long way below more expensive ones. Presumably I'll wear it out, but I'm not sure I'd bother upgrading until I do - other things like pedals and throttle make more of a difference to the dedicated addict anyway. So I'd rate it as a good place for the original poster to start - it's even cheaper than the Aviator.

JG52Uther
10-12-2008, 03:38 AM
CH are great,I have pedals and a Fighterstick,and IMO I don't think you can get much better,BUT for someone perhaps starting out,and not sure they are going to like flight sims,then it would be much better to get a cheaper stick to start out with.
Saitek AV8R would be a good choice.Integral throttles,twist rudder,and enough buttons for now.

P.FunkAdelic
10-12-2008, 03:39 AM
My first stick was an X-52! (still is) However #1 I got it used for $50 and #2 I knew I was going to like playing this game. I'd been planning on it for months til I built my own computer that could handle it (family PCs always suck for gaming).

I was looking to get an Aviator since it has everything you need. For around $50 its probably the best compromise.

I don't think anyone should buy top of the line stuff at first. It should always be a process of upgrading when you feel you can and when you'll take advantage of the new gear. Like rudder pedals are good only if you really know how to use rudder. Buying the best stuff out of the gate is like being a trust fund baby getting a Ferrari for his 16th birthday long before he's even learned how to drive stick.

GreyFox5
10-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Saitek Aviator should be a good choice for first joystick. It's cheap, has twist axis, 2 throttle axis and is programmable. If you find the sim good and want to invest more for equipment, then get a HOTAS and rudder pedals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tully do you have your x52 config in a .pr0 format? The .dat file doesn't work in the new software.

Actually I'm trying to dial in the X52 in with the ingame controller setup and I don't know how to "tighten up" the X52 with the in game settings...

Chris0382
10-13-2008, 05:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GreyFox5:
Saitek Aviator should be a good choice for first joystick. It's cheap, has twist axis, 2 throttle axis and is programmable. If you find the sim good and want to invest more for equipment, then get a HOTAS and rudder pedals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tully do you have your x52 config in a .pr0 format? The .dat file doesn't work in the new software.

Actually I'm trying to dial in the X52 in with the ingame controller setup and I don't know how to "tighten up" the X52 with the in game settings... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would think someone at Siatek would simply redo or convert the old profiles to the new SST software as they are listed on thier website for download.

GregGal
10-13-2008, 06:19 AM
I have a Saitek Aviator, and I!m very pleased with it! Especially with a Saitek Throttle quadrant and a Saitek rudder pedal next to it.
I recommend these products to everyone. Cheap and good quality.

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-13-2008, 10:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GreyFox5:

Actually I'm trying to dial in the X52 in with the ingame controller setup and I don't know how to "tighten up" the X52 with the in game settings... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tully stated in another thread that he has the pr0 format done and is working on the readme and should post it soon. As for "tightening up" if you mean what input curve you should use, most X52 users set elevator and aileron axis to all 100's.

CrazyOWl
10-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Jut whant to know your opinion on CH Products Fighterstick and CH Products Pro Throttle USB, I am thinking in getting these 2 and cant diside. I use to have and still using the x45 with Throttle put the tapes and the plastic is not holding anymore. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Also the cougar one, I have hear some bad reports on it and you have to spend a lot of money later. but they look the best http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Tnhkz for any feedback

VMF-214_HaVoK
10-20-2008, 01:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My first stick was an X-52! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spoiled! My first was a 9$ Gravis stick. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Anyway. In my opinion your first stick should be $40 or less and the best at that range is the Sidewinder Precision 2. You can find them on Ebay I hear and Im actually about to put mine on ebay I think. I offered it to many a forum members but nobody seems to want it.

For future reference if your going spend some cash then CH Products are the best in my opinion and is what I use now.

VMF-214_HaVoK
10-20-2008, 05:39 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Force-Feedback..._trksid=p3286.c0.m14 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Force-Feedback-2-Joystick-USB_W0QQitemZ120317681005QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 20317681005&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)