PDA

View Full Version : SBD Flight Problem

billclarke1
11-23-2004, 10:37 PM
For those of you that have downloaded the patch, has it fixed the problem with the SBD's flying right wing down in a circle ?

Fennec_P
11-24-2004, 12:17 AM
Can you elaborate?

I haven't noticed anything amiss with the SBD.

Tully__
11-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Just about every aircraft in the game flys one wing slightly down in a slow circle in every patch version, right from the original IL2. It's called torque effect. On those aircraft equipped with aileron trim, you can trim it out, but on the rest you just have to deal with it like the real pilots did.

P.S. Have you checked your joystick calibration?

billclarke1
11-24-2004, 01:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
Just about every aircraft in the game flys one wing slightly down in a slow circle in every patch version, right from the original IL2. It's called torque effect. On those aircraft equipped with aileron trim, you can trim it out, but on the rest you just have to deal with it like the real pilots did.

P.S. Have you checked your joystick calibration? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the only A/C that is really impossible to fly straight, the calibration on my joy stick is fine, other flyers on this forum have also noticed this problem.

VW-IceFire
11-24-2004, 07:44 AM
I haven't flown it alot but I know the problem you are speaking of. Yes I believe it has been fixed. Its still very senitive to trim changes but its better from what I can tell.

Just so everyone knows what some of us have been saying, the problem with the SBD is this. Its very very sensitive to roll and pitch changes. Even the slightest move on the joystick causes it to change direction. The end result is a very unstable plane to fly in terms of keeping level. The Yak's, FW190's, P-51's, and others will fly relatively straight if you leve the stick centered and use a bit of trim to correct them. The Dauntless on the other hand will slowly bank to the left or right, like your stick has no deadzone (except that it DOES because it works fine on every other plane, all 169 of them or whatever).

Once again, I believe this has been fixed. But I haven't gone out of my way to check. Just once or twice.

WWSensei
11-24-2004, 08:51 AM
SBD can be flown straight and level. Torque causes her to roll right a bit but that is what trim is for. If you watch the bubble you'll note she also flies with a bit of side slip. Some right rudder trim combined with left aeliron trim gets her nice and steady.

If you go to autopilot or time skip the AI will neutralize your trim settings so you have to reset.

I know most of it is from torque because in one mission I lost rudder and aeliron control. Only had elevator control. I managed to turn the aircraft to the right by nosing up and throttling up and left by throttling down and nosing down--which is what I would expect from a low wing aircraft with a big, honking engine in front of it.

;-)

bazzaah2
11-24-2004, 08:56 AM
I like the SBD...fun to fly - get some wing damage and it's all over the place.