PDA

View Full Version : Victorian London AC - is it just me?

FatRascal
06-08-2011, 03:29 PM
I'd be interested to hear if I'm the only one who thinks this would be a good idea.

Beyond AC:R, presumably they (Ubi) will want to move the series forward in time towards Desmond's contemporary world. With AC:B we've seen that you can implement AC in a gunpowder-and-firearms enabled world, but I reckon the game mechanics would suffer once you get beyond horses and horse-drawn transport.

You also need a game-world that's known for being a bit shadowy, shady, dangerous etc.

Taking all this into account, I REALLY want them to have Victorian London as the centre of a future AC edition. Things that I reckon would be good to include would be:

1. The Jack The Ripper legend. Would work well with the whole "courtesans" aspect perhaps. Also, sometimes conflated with the legend of "Springheeled Jack" the supposedly supernaturally nimble figure who would escape over rooftops.

2. London police force / redcoat soliders - fulfilling the roles of "regular / elite" guards.

3. Sherlock Holmes & Watson as your "pro-assassin" allies. Moriarty and maybe a sort of shadowy freemasonry-type guild as the manifestation of the Templars.

4. Fog effects in the streets.

5. Some "dark, satanic mills" - It's already been heavily hinted that industrialists have been in league with the Templars / Abstergo.

6. Railways - could work similarly to those in Red Dead.

7. The Houses of Parliament, Cathedrals, stations, ships on the Thames.

8. Sinister agents of rival European monarchies with whom you have to deal.

What do you reckon?

Sep.

FatRascal
06-08-2011, 03:29 PM
I'd be interested to hear if I'm the only one who thinks this would be a good idea.

Beyond AC:R, presumably they (Ubi) will want to move the series forward in time towards Desmond's contemporary world. With AC:B we've seen that you can implement AC in a gunpowder-and-firearms enabled world, but I reckon the game mechanics would suffer once you get beyond horses and horse-drawn transport.

You also need a game-world that's known for being a bit shadowy, shady, dangerous etc.

Taking all this into account, I REALLY want them to have Victorian London as the centre of a future AC edition. Things that I reckon would be good to include would be:

1. The Jack The Ripper legend. Would work well with the whole "courtesans" aspect perhaps. Also, sometimes conflated with the legend of "Springheeled Jack" the supposedly supernaturally nimble figure who would escape over rooftops.

2. London police force / redcoat soliders - fulfilling the roles of "regular / elite" guards.

3. Sherlock Holmes & Watson as your "pro-assassin" allies. Moriarty and maybe a sort of shadowy freemasonry-type guild as the manifestation of the Templars.

4. Fog effects in the streets.

5. Some "dark, satanic mills" - It's already been heavily hinted that industrialists have been in league with the Templars / Abstergo.

6. Railways - could work similarly to those in Red Dead.

7. The Houses of Parliament, Cathedrals, stations, ships on the Thames.

8. Sinister agents of rival European monarchies with whom you have to deal.

What do you reckon?

Sep.

xCr0wnedNorris
06-08-2011, 03:33 PM
The only thing about that is Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character. Other than that it'd be a pretty nice setting.

gsosolidk
06-08-2011, 03:35 PM
I had never actually thought of that period of time as a possible time AC could use...

But I actually quiet like it? I'd love to see Sherlock in an AC game. Would feel a lot like Da Vinci.

And to see Assassin 3 disappearing in the fog...

I also like the whole Jack the Ripper thing.

The only problem is... Guns. But I guess were going to HAVE to accept them eventually?

FatRascal
06-08-2011, 03:38 PM
I know Sherlock is fictional, but then Volpe was supposedly a "legendary" figure - a bit like an Italian Robin Hood - wasn't he?

There must be loads of other good Victorian characters you could bring in for various roles, and the novel "tech" (like the stuff Leonardo makes) could have a "steampunk" vibe - think HG Wells.

What about this too - presumably Desmond's ancestors came to the USA at some point, so how about setting the final part of the game on board a big steamship heading across the Atlantic - could be a bit like whichever Splinter Cell game it was that had a section set on a cruise ship.

Sep.

FatRascal
06-08-2011, 03:41 PM
gso - The guns thing bothered me before too, but look at AC:B. Lots of the Borgia guards have arquebuses / muskets or crossbows, and it doesn't spoil the gameplay. In fact it adds an element, because you know you've got to strike them quickly before they get a shot off.

Late 19th century - they wouldn't have automatic weapons or anything like that. At best it would be rifles and revolvers, and the regular London police guards wouldn't have them - hence the police / redcoats thing. The redcoats would be posted around government buildings etc.

Sep.

xCr0wnedNorris
06-08-2011, 03:42 PM
The thing is is that Assassin's Creed has always used people that are... Real... That doesn't mean that every character in the games were actual people. But I don't think they'd use huge names and try to make fictional characters real. They kind of pride themselves in that they're very historically accurate.

rileypoole1234
06-08-2011, 03:44 PM
THANK GOD SOMEBODY ELSE AGREES!!! Sorry mate, couldn't hold my excitement. This is what i've been wanting since the end of AC2. Pretty much exactly what you've described. I honestly think it would be the best AC game yet. And I don't bloody care if Sherlock Holmes isn't real. Leonardo Da Vinci wasn't really Q from James bond back then. Plus Ezio drives a tank and flies with a flying machine. FLIES. Thats seems more fictional to me than Sherlock Holmes. I live in London meself so i'd love to see it in a game.

FatRascal
06-08-2011, 03:47 PM
If they didn't want to use Holmes because of the fact he's a "big fictional name" then there were some similar real "forensic" detectives coming into their own at that time - Like the detectives in "The Suspicions of Mr Whicher."

Sep.

kriegerdesgottes
06-08-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm not totally against the idea mostly because 90% of my ancestors come from London England but I'd rather see Paris France during the revolution it was such a crazy time that fits a little too perfectly with the AC theme. Plus it wouldn't be jumping quite so far ahead like Victorian age England would. Still not a bad idea though.

Artemis88
06-08-2011, 04:14 PM
I'd love to see something like what's been suggested. As far as Jack the Ripper goes, there's a massive list as to who was considered a suspect.

Just had shuffle through the one on Wikipedia, and Sir William Withey Gull has a little ditty of information that caught my eye:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...was physician-in-ordinary to Queen Victoria. He was named as the Ripper as part of the evolution of the widely discredited Masonic/royal conspiracy theory outlined in such books as Jack the Ripper: The Final Solution. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course you also have Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, another high profile person to add to the mix.

rob.davies2014
06-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Let's not forget the Demon Barber of Fleet Street! Allthough fictional, I'm sure if they used this setting they could squeeze him in somewhere, maybe as a sort of Malfatto character...
Personally, apart from Revolutionary Paris, I think this is the best potential AC setting. I'd love it if AC3 was set here, or AC4 if the next game is going to be the French Revolution. I think that would be a very natural progression; it would then be easier to link the two Assassin's from the time periods, compared to the familial gap between Altair, Ezio and Desmond.
But Victorian London's ominous crime-ridden setting would be perfect for AC, not to mention the beauty the London rooftops in the moonlight!
Also, the fog from the Thames could be used as a gameplay feature; like a vast moving hiding spot!

DavidPV86
06-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Victorian london would be GREAT, but I think we are heading towards the French Revolution, which is not bad though.

ThaWhistle
06-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Only if we get to kill someone and say, please sir, id like some more. or ebenezer scrooge is the big wig of the templars.

otherwise revolutionary france and the napoleonic wars seem alot more likely. the only thing victorian era london has going for it is sherlock holmes is still fresh in everyones memory.

Inorganic9_2
06-09-2011, 10:11 AM
There wouldn't be much scope for rooftop activity in London though. That and killing large numbers of police wouldn't go without a massive city-wide hunt.

That could be kept under the scope of general brawls of revolutionary France. Not quite sure of the roof structure of France then though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

FatRascal
06-09-2011, 12:37 PM
There'd be plenty of rooftops in London.

Just watch Mary Poppins... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

You might have a point about killing lots of police, although this could be a justification for making stealth more important and each "collateral" kill having greater consequences.

All that having been said, Revolutionary / Napoleonic France could be cool too. Just glad to know it's not just me that's had the same thoughts about a 19th century London setting.

Sep.

NORTHBOERN1
06-09-2011, 12:56 PM
NO! We need feudal Japan with a bunch of ninjas...stop this nonsense.

UBOSOFT-Gamer
06-09-2011, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NORTHBOERN1:
NO feudal Japan with a bunch of ninjas...stop this nonsense! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fixed it for you.

rileypoole1234
06-09-2011, 01:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NORTHBOERN1:
NO! We need feudal Japan with a bunch of ninjas...stop this nonsense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That would be the worst AC game ever. Worse than the handheld ones. Ninjas are Ninjas, and Assassin's, ARE BLOODY ASSASSIN'S!! It would not work whatsoever. Blimey can we put that idea to rest?

AMuppetMatt
06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm thinking it was sarcasm?

cwoad
06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Victorian london would be bad. I mean, how weird would it be seeing someone dressed like ezio walking around in the daytime?

Something like 1600s/1700s would be more ideal

Gasketfuse
06-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Was posted a little over a month ago, but you guys may be interested in this:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...231089329#2231089329 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/2231089329?r=2231089329#2231089329)

Artemis88
06-09-2011, 02:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cwoad:
Victorian london would be bad. I mean, how weird would it be seeing someone dressed like ezio walking around in the daytime? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not exactly like Ezio, but a variation of it. Looking at the link Gasketfuse posted, the assassin garb there looks more ideal.

xx-pyro
06-09-2011, 08:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sepulchrave:
I know Sherlock is fictional, but then Volpe was supposedly a "legendary" figure - a bit like an Italian Robin Hood - wasn't he?

There must be loads of other good Victorian characters you could bring in for various roles, and the novel "tech" (like the stuff Leonardo makes) could have a "steampunk" vibe - think HG Wells.

What about this too - presumably Desmond's ancestors came to the USA at some point, so how about setting the final part of the game on board a big steamship heading across the Atlantic - could be a bit like whichever Splinter Cell game it was that had a section set on a cruise ship.

Sep. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tsk tsk Desmond isn't even American, he is a French Canadian http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I think Victorian London would be a great setting, however there are many settings that Ubisoft could do that would really come together in great ways. The only problem I see with Victorian London is, who are you going to Assassinate? There really aren't that many figures of startling importance like the Borgias or Savonarola, or even some of the guys from AC1. They would be a lot more obscure.

X10J
06-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Give my Sir Arthur Conan Doyle dang it!

Dom000Dom
06-09-2011, 10:28 PM
I loved the Victorian historical period http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
and if they put Jack the Ripper in the story......count me IN

But I don't agree with Sherlock Holmes &co. AC strived to be historically accurate, bending some truth to history to create the interlocking storyline of AC universe, it would be horrible to see them try to bring Sherlock Holmes to life, it isn't Da Vinci, since he is a real person.

What I suggest would be introduced Sir Conan Doyle to the game, and introduce a new fictional character that is based on Sherlock Holmes, so they can indicate that Conan actually write the character of Sherlock Holmes based on this character......just like how they handled the Mona Lisa. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

but loved this period still http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kaxen6
06-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Could be spiffy.

wazza1023
06-10-2011, 02:52 AM
In my honest opinion, Assassin's Creed has developed to be a game franchise that has brought European history alive. Although Victorian England was a great period of history, Assassin's Creed has been about the parts of history that are full of warfare, blood and conspiracy.
So, I feel that I think that Ubisoft is going in the right direction with what seems to be happening for AC3 - French Revolution.
I am sorry to disagree with you, but you have asked for feedback - and Victorian London just doesn't seem to suit what makes an Assassin's Creed environment.

Jack the Ripper? He murdered a bunch of women, not major political figures, seriously.

Sherlock Holmes? Not only is he a fictional character but we want to be the Assassin, not the detective. He wouldn't even suit as an enemy.

So, in conclusion, I feel that Assassin's Creed is better off in periods that actually provide the proper environment, and for now that seems to be where it's staying.

Black_Widow9
06-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Please post this here-
Assassin's Creed 3 (and beyond) #2.0 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/6831010868)
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>