PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Pedals for X45?

e2michaelb
12-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Which rudder pedal set or sets are most compatible with Saitek X45? How will they affect or be affected by the X45's integral rocker rudder control? After reading about the new X52, I am going to stick with the X45; too many buttons, man, too many buttons. I think having so many controls on the HOTAS detracts from the immersion of having to reach for some controls, just as the WWII pilots had to do.

e2michaelb
12-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Which rudder pedal set or sets are most compatible with Saitek X45? How will they affect or be affected by the X45's integral rocker rudder control? After reading about the new X52, I am going to stick with the X45; too many buttons, man, too many buttons. I think having so many controls on the HOTAS detracts from the immersion of having to reach for some controls, just as the WWII pilots had to do.

jeroen-79
12-04-2004, 12:11 PM
They don't need to be compatible with the X45 as they would be a seperate controller.

the rudders wouldn't affect the X45's rocker in any way but you would need to reassign the rudderaxis in the game to the pedals.
The rocker would then be free for other things.

I have heard about problems with the gameport and USb devices but I have no personal experience with this.

USB rudders are made by CH (CH Pro USB with toebrakes, $150) and Simped (no toebrakes, come from Germany, "128).
Gameport rudders would be harder to get as new but they are available as secondhand.
There gameport CH pro pedals, CH pedals, TM RCS and TM Elite.

These are the cheap airplane rudders.
If you have more cash to spend then there are things like Cirrus ($400?), EMYCSA (F-16 replica, "1200) and other rudders.

If you want to be real cheap then you could get a racingwheel with pedals.

taly01
12-04-2004, 03:00 PM
I use Saitek X45 with CH USB Pro Pedals.

No problems at all in il2 & LOMAC. You just define the rudder to use your pedals not the X45 rocker.

I use the X45 rocker as a view zoom in/out in LOMAC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The problem is only with old games that only let you use one controller (like SU27 v2.0)

Tully__
12-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Any USB pedals will work. Click on the "Joysticks & FB" link under my signature picture for more info, there's a section near the bottom of the article describing how to work around any issues associated with adding a second controller.

Spinnetti
12-04-2004, 09:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by e2michaelb:
Which rudder pedal set or sets are most compatible with Saitek X45? How will they affect or be affected by the X45's integral rocker rudder control? After reading about the new X52, I am going to stick with the X45; too many buttons, man, too many buttons. I think having so many controls on the HOTAS detracts from the immersion of having to reach for some controls, just as the WWII pilots had to do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have CH Pro usb pedals (and x45)... works perfect without any drivers for either.. I just use the stock windows XP drivers for both with no probs..

Fliger747
12-05-2004, 11:33 AM
As indicated, the CH USB pedals are easy to install with your X-45 and will work well.

As to HOTAS buttons, well that's a compromise. keyboards are much harder to use as an interface for aircraft controls than the dedicated analog (push-pull/ crank etc.) ones found in a cockpit. So with the lack of manuvering feel and real tactile controls, it's probably a usefull compromise.

We 'crash' these things often enough as it is...

Comswim
12-05-2004, 12:00 PM
I had gameport CH rudder pedals and they didnt work. So DONT get the gameport ones. I would stick with the USB there is no other way to go.