PDA

View Full Version : Trackir question

Noxx0s
09-20-2010, 10:28 PM
On the cusp of finally buying TrackIR5. Got the money, so there's no reason not to.

Except... does it lower FPS in any way? My computer's only about 4 years old but still, it can struggle in a really big dogfight (like with 40+ fighters in a small area and lots of flak+ground fire)

Noxx0s
09-20-2010, 10:28 PM
On the cusp of finally buying TrackIR5. Got the money, so there's no reason not to.

Except... does it lower FPS in any way? My computer's only about 4 years old but still, it can struggle in a really big dogfight (like with 40+ fighters in a small area and lots of flak+ground fire)

WTE_Galway
09-20-2010, 10:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IcyScythe:

Except... does it lower FPS in any way? My computer's only about 4 years old but still, it can struggle in a really big dogfight (like with 40+ fighters in a small area and lots of flak+ground fire) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its more the other way around.

On a single core machine "with 40+ fighters in a small area and lots of flak+ground fire" the trackir might sometimes freeze or lag if the processor is fully occupied with IL2.

On a multi core you just assign the trackir its own processor.

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-21-2010, 05:22 AM
IMO, even on a 4 year old machine TrackIR has little if any effect on overall performance.

Get it.

ChiFunk
09-21-2010, 09:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

On a multi core you just assign the trackir its own processor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can one go about doing this? I know to assign IL2 its own processor in the conf.ini file, but how do I assign TrackIR's?

saipan1972
09-21-2010, 11:14 AM
agreed, get it. i held out the first year i had the game, now i wouldnt even fly without it.

USN_Saw
09-21-2010, 12:22 PM
ChiFunk,

As with any application, you can set the software to a specific CPU, within the the task manager -&gt; processes tab

You'll love TrackIr!

UgoRipley
09-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Track-IR is the best hardware upgrade you can buy!!
You'll soon wonder how you could fly without it.

redhornet07
09-22-2010, 03:47 PM
I have an 8 year old computer and have TIR4. I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever running it or having it cause lag/crashes/etc. It's flawless, buy it now, it's the greatest sim invention since joysticks.

Crazy_Goanna
09-22-2010, 05:18 PM
I am interested in purchasing TrackIR as well but have a question-
Is it better to get TrackIR5 or TrackIR4 and what benefits do the 5 version have over the 4 version.
Just interested in users comments

Roberts_701
10-04-2010, 02:20 AM
Im still using the trackir 3 works fine for me : ).

as for the Newer models have a look at their site, link below.

Tackir site home page (http://www.naturalpoint.com/tracki/)

I thought about getting the newer models and the main decider was the difference in prices.
anyway wait a while and people will post their personal experiences with the trackirs 4/5 etc.

Regards

ytareh
10-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Ive just switched from TIR3 Pro with Vector Expansion (6DOF although I never use it -in fact I dont even use 'Roll' as I find it makes me seasick with involuntary swivelling as if on a spit roast -keep it clean boys!!!)to TIR5 and the best praise I can give it is that I dont notice it at all.The TIR5 is utterly idiot proof and does exactly what it says on the tin (as we'd say in this part of the world )whereas the TIR3 (essential kit as it is )needs some tweaking to keep the outer edges of vision -over your shoulder -correct .If going for TIR3 the Vector Clip is better than 'dots'...
But bottom line go for the TIR5 ok so its 150 instead of 100(TIR4) or 50(TIR3 Used) euro but its buttons compared with the annual depreciation on most simmers graphics cards !Whats more my upgrade only cost me 50 euro net as I got the 5 as an unwanted gift for 100 euro and sold the 3 for 50 euro- RESULT!!!

x6BL_Brando
10-05-2010, 07:15 AM
I came into a little money and treated myself to a new monitor and a TrackIR 5. I had already been using TIR since it first came out and I was using a '3 Pro' most recently, with the Vector clip which is mounted on the top of my headphones.

TrackIR 5 is a big improvement over the previous models, as is the version 5 software that runs it. You even get a 'cockpit view' - which has you sat in a fighter cockpit complete with instruments and a view of an airfield. Using that allows you to set up exactly what you want from the hardware.

I used to find that dropping into a co-op online with TIR3 was a luck of the draw situation. Sometimes it would be fully working, and sometimes I'd be sat facing forwards only with no head movement available. Quite a few of my mates report the same.
Since installing the new kit I haven't experienced anything like this - it works every time. I recommend it highly.

B

M2morris
10-05-2010, 08:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by x6BL_Brando:

You even get a 'cockpit view' - which has you sat in a fighter cockpit complete with instruments and a view of an airfield. Using that allows you to set up exactly what you want from the hardware.

B </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you explain this a little further please? I don't follow what you mean there exactly. I mean my TIR4 puts me in a fighter cockpit with instruments and a view of anything I want to look at.

Edit:
Oh never mind I think I get it. Duhhhh
The TRACKIR program has that so you can get set up before you start IL2.

x6BL_Brando
10-06-2010, 12:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The TRACKIR program has that so you can get set up before you start IL2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, sorry not to have made that clearer. Basically it saves you from the awkward task of setting up and then having to start a game to check that setup, then going back again to make corrections, and so on.

B

rfxcasey
10-07-2010, 05:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IcyScythe:

Except... does it lower FPS in any way? My computer's only about 4 years old but still, it can struggle in a really big dogfight (like with 40+ fighters in a small area and lots of flak+ground fire) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"ONLY about 4 years old"???? In computer terms that's working on being a classic. Though I tend to rate machines based on usability related to the task at hand rather then like these gamer kids who constantly say your machine sux if it's more then a year old. Once you hit a certain point in computing power IL-2 doesn't seem to benefit much more.

Track IR will actually make your computer faster. Its like a turbo, ITS FREE POWER!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

ytareh
10-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Not sure Id agree that IL2 has been caught up with by hardware,YES the GPU has been a non limiting factor since the X1900/NV7900 but the cpu will continue to be a limiting factor at high res and especially with mods for a few years yet.I ahve an E8500 at 4GHz ++ and still get low minimum frame rates AT 1024x768 res in some scenarios with perfect water...The mods in particular can decimate fps but BOY they look hypnotic...!I watched a plane disintegrate and fall as a pile of meteor like fireballs yesterday and was awestruck!