PDA

View Full Version : Suggested early desert campaign

larschance
03-20-2011, 10:50 AM
For those of you who work on this period may I recommend the books Desert Prelude vol 1 and 2 by authors Hakan Gustavsson and Ludovico Slongo. These books give day by day details of operations down to indvidual pilots names and aircraft and are the most up to date. They cover the period June 1940 to February 1941 when the Italians fought the British. All the problems with weather, supplies, maintenance, and details of dogfights and ground attacks are detailed from both sides war diaries.
One word of warning. They are made of old style inked paper so the ink comes off on your hands if you have sweaty mitts like me.
If not a campaign for Il2 then maybe for the forthcoming COD add ons.

larschance
03-20-2011, 10:50 AM
For those of you who work on this period may I recommend the books Desert Prelude vol 1 and 2 by authors Hakan Gustavsson and Ludovico Slongo. These books give day by day details of operations down to indvidual pilots names and aircraft and are the most up to date. They cover the period June 1940 to February 1941 when the Italians fought the British. All the problems with weather, supplies, maintenance, and details of dogfights and ground attacks are detailed from both sides war diaries.
One word of warning. They are made of old style inked paper so the ink comes off on your hands if you have sweaty mitts like me.
If not a campaign for Il2 then maybe for the forthcoming COD add ons.

BigDaz99
04-05-2011, 12:56 PM
I second this proposal. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ba5tard5word
04-05-2011, 04:27 PM
If you want a good early war desert campaign, check out FlatSpinMan's Afrika! campaign for the 109E. Pretty fun campaign with a lot of good missions, and it's fun to play as a co-op with two or three people.

Past a certain point I don't really care how well researched a campaign is. You could spend your whole life properly researching a campaign but I'd prefer someone get the basics right and create something that people can play and have fun with.

larschance
04-06-2011, 05:50 AM
I agree that playability and enjoyment are paramount but I believe some of our fraternity now expect a certain level of historical accuracy in order to appreciate the problems the pilots underwent back then.
Having said that I do bow down to those who have taken the time and effort to provide us with so many aircraft types missions and campaigns to enjoy. Long may they continue.