PDA

View Full Version : To those who cannot host a server

MrQBerrt
11-03-2005, 04:08 PM
I have been trying to host PF on hyperlobby ever since I got a new DSL connection and I finally figured out why I couldn't. I'm writing this in case someone else out there has the same problem.

First off, yes I opened up port 21000 on my router and turned off Windows Firewall.

Second I checked for any other program or service that might have been running some type of firewall/packet filtering.

Third, I tried hosting with and without hyperlobby.

Fourth, I called my ISP and asked them if they were doing any type of packet filtering or had a firewall.

Now if you're reading along with the same problem as me, you can take these last few items as steps that you can take to help you solve your hosting problems, but for me, they did not work.

Finally, I was trying to log onto my router (after doing a hard reset of it) and I typed in the wrong IP address to log onto it (192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.0.1). Low and behold a page opened up to edit the settings for my DSL Modem. I had gotten a new DSL modem with my new connection and never thought that it might have a custom setup menu. I looked through the menu and the modem was trying to act as a router. There were settings for both a firewall and NAT translation and the NAT was turned on. I setup the modem to act like a bridge instead of like a router and now I can open ports to my hearts content.

The funny thing is that loading web pages now takes a long time and often times out, though my connection speed when downloading and playing games still goes fast. I'm thinking that the modem must have set up my DNS lookup differently than my router does. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

MrQBerrt
11-03-2005, 04:08 PM
I have been trying to host PF on hyperlobby ever since I got a new DSL connection and I finally figured out why I couldn't. I'm writing this in case someone else out there has the same problem.

First off, yes I opened up port 21000 on my router and turned off Windows Firewall.

Second I checked for any other program or service that might have been running some type of firewall/packet filtering.

Third, I tried hosting with and without hyperlobby.

Fourth, I called my ISP and asked them if they were doing any type of packet filtering or had a firewall.

Now if you're reading along with the same problem as me, you can take these last few items as steps that you can take to help you solve your hosting problems, but for me, they did not work.

Finally, I was trying to log onto my router (after doing a hard reset of it) and I typed in the wrong IP address to log onto it (192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.0.1). Low and behold a page opened up to edit the settings for my DSL Modem. I had gotten a new DSL modem with my new connection and never thought that it might have a custom setup menu. I looked through the menu and the modem was trying to act as a router. There were settings for both a firewall and NAT translation and the NAT was turned on. I setup the modem to act like a bridge instead of like a router and now I can open ports to my hearts content.

The funny thing is that loading web pages now takes a long time and often times out, though my connection speed when downloading and playing games still goes fast. I'm thinking that the modem must have set up my DNS lookup differently than my router does. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Waldo.Pepper
11-03-2005, 04:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I setup the modem to act like a bridge instead of like a router </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is therefore no loger acting as a router.... well there's your problem!

Also when you ask your ISp if they are blocking ports - I recommend that you do not trust the word of the pimple you have on the phone at the time.

Check it out for yourself. Use port inspector to check for yourself.

johann63
11-03-2005, 04:43 PM
I am not real experienced with this issue but I too couldnt host in the past. My latest problem is my computer sucks but thats a different story.

I do not use a router but I could not get my DSL modem to allow me to host. With help from my provider I setup a PPPoE. I think it is some sort of bridge or point to point connection. If I turn off my software firewall I can then host with no problem. Maybe not too safe but it works.

VT-51_Razor
11-03-2005, 05:19 PM
I sympathize with you MrQBerrt. I have a similar problem, and it is very annoying. I have, in the past, hosted many coops and DFs, both via direct IP and via HL. I then went out and bought a new cable modem, AND a wireless four port router. After that, I could still host a game, either way - direct or through HL, but after a few minutes, everyone would get discoed. I have checked all the settings in the router, and they all seem to be correct, my windows firewall is down, and all the proper ports are forwarded.

Now, I just built a new computer, with a fresh install of windows, and with all the same hardware and settings, I can't even get anyone connected. I can, however, host a session over the LAN I have at home. I'm stumped. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Grey_Mouser67
11-03-2005, 05:32 PM
I'll give this a try too because I have not been able to reconfigure my router with success at all....I got a router and shortly thereafter a new DSL modem...never been able to host a game since. I always attributed it to my inneptness with things High Tech...but maybe it is the modem....

VF17-Twisted
11-03-2005, 10:52 PM
I also and in a simular boat as you guys though in a major bad way. The modem my isp sent to me as part of my signing up acts like a router but in fact isn't.
There is no way to port forward, and to make mattes worse it is a custom firmware just for my isp. I had went to the modem's manufacturers website and they do NOT support it as it is not a "normal" modem they retail.

I figured oh ok no worries, I'll pick up another modem, plug the login numbers in and should be sweet as. Except I've got no access to those numbers, tech support is about as useful as tits on a bull. I say that because upon phoning them for the information to set in the new modem they don't know it. See as it was explained to me, most people don't want the hassles to learn how to set one up, this isp doesn't want to pay for knowledgable tech people so the entire firmware is basiclly plug and go. I can only alter my login name and password.

You just have to love ignorant isp's that pull that sort of ****.

Oilburner_TAW
11-03-2005, 11:42 PM
I would recommend setting it back up as a router and just forwarding 21000 to your lan ip (probably .101).

AA_Double_Tap
11-04-2005, 04:06 AM
A great help for configuring your router can be found here: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

You scroll through the list and find your router and it will tell you how to set iot up. Many specifically tell you how to do it for IL-2.

MrQBerrt
11-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Waldo,
I don't see why my modem not acting like a router is a problem. Are you suggesting that in order to load web pages quickly, my modem must act like a router? I don't see why as I have a router behind the bridge that is my modem, which should have just as much capability for being a router as the modem was. I can only suspect that the problem is that the settings for my new router are somehow different than my settings on the old router (aka my modem), or that I made some mistake in how I setup my bridge. Could you explain in more detail?

Also Waldo,
Yes, I ended up using something like port detective which told me all my ports (except 2 that should not have been open and I had never heard of) were closed. But I couldn't figure out why until I saw the double Networ Address Translation that was going on. I could try to get the double NAT to work by sending my modem packets to my router and my router packets to my computer, but that sounds problematic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oilburner_TAW,
I've thought of that too. I'd assume then I'd have to setup my router as a bridge or as a hub and I don't know if that's possible. Also, even if it is possible, I've read online that my modem does not make a very good router, and from looking at the limited setup options on it, I think I'll end up agreeing. So I don't want to change from a superior router to an inferior one if I can help it. However, I may end up doing exactly what you have suggested in the end.

MrQBerrt
11-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Here's another question,

and I'll call my DSL modem Westell and my router Linksys to avoid this router/bridge/modem lingo. My Westell is on a different subnet than my Linksys. My Linksys is performing DHCP so my computer is on the same subnet as my Linksys. This keeps me from being able to log into my Westell (and for those of you who may be in the same boat, plug your computer straight into your modem, manually change your computer's ip address, and then you can log into it). But other than this inconvienence, is it a problem that my computer and linksys are on a different subnet than my Westell?

Schithawk
11-05-2005, 02:35 PM
well maybe i'm not a total idiot or at least not the only one. no offence intended except to myself.hours upon hours have i read through forums and viewed sites trying to host a coop . i'm not itech but i have 2 p4's and was thinkin of maybe setting 1 up as server for coop and flying on other 1 .is this possible/feasible and would i need to bye a second copy of game??if i ever get this dlink router to let me host?? appreciate any input ~S~
thanks fellas

Dew-Claw
11-06-2005, 05:00 PM
You can also try going into your router, forwarding your ports, then temp set the host machime up as a DMZ (Demiliterized zone?) this opens up your computer compleatly to the net, but for short periods of time to host shouldn't cause any problems.

VC81_GLIDER
11-06-2005, 05:17 PM
There is another issue that I have had to deal with. I had to assign a static IP (via my router)on my network to the computer where the game is being run along with port forwarding. That fixed my problem. You do this by assign a static IP to the MAC address of the computer Network Card. There should be a description on how to do this with your router or modems online help.

VF17-Twisted
11-06-2005, 10:14 PM
A quick update.

After nearly totally giving up on ever being able to host a game I finally figured out what I had to do. By chance I was skimming through the Hyperlobby forums on hosting issues. Jiri had a sticky he put up and mentioned about changing one line in the hyperlobby ini file.

This is the line I changed under the [Pacific Fighters] area at the bottom.

;This detecting right IP address for systems with more that one network adapters

;Default is 1 (on)
DetectLocalIP = 0

I changed the "DetectLocalIP from a 1 to a 0 and walla it worked!