PDA

View Full Version : Storyline **SPOILERS**

TharosTheDragon
07-11-2008, 06:26 PM
I just beat the game a little earlier today. I thought it was awesome. I found all the Templars and completed every investigation, and I think I found all the secret stuff at the end. I stole Warren's pen and found the access code in the closet so I could access Warren and Lucy's email accounts, and I also found the two passwords to go into the conference room and access the secure terminal in there. And of course, I found the "blood on the wall" in Desmond's room and viewed the credits.

Now I know everyone loves discussing their theories about what everything at the end of the game means and where the story is going to go from here, but I think Ubisoft went a little overboard this time. The reason I am posting this topic is that I am thoroughly disappointed with this game's conclusion, if you can call that a conclusion. Nothing is resolved. Desmond is still a prisoner. The assassins are wiped out. The Templars are about to put their plans into action. And despite all the fascinating ideas everyone has come up with on these forums, we really don't have much of a clue as to what is going on. There are too many loose ends like the woman who impersonated Robert and all the weird things that are mentioned in the emails. Soon after finishing this game, my amazement was replaced with an emptiness deep within.

Now it's not that I'm opposed to cliffhangers, but a game should be somewhat self-contained. The story needs to have a plot curve with some kind of resolution at the end. Too many games nowadays seem to ignore the basic rules of storytelling. This game has a great story apart from the fact that the story doesn't end. Another problem is that many of the loose ends will likely be forgotten rather than included in the sequel, since it's always difficult to wrap up everything.

So that's what I have to say. Agree or disagree. Enlighten me as to a point of the game that I may have overlooked, or harass me for saying unkind words about a game that you love.

TharosTheDragon
07-11-2008, 06:26 PM
I just beat the game a little earlier today. I thought it was awesome. I found all the Templars and completed every investigation, and I think I found all the secret stuff at the end. I stole Warren's pen and found the access code in the closet so I could access Warren and Lucy's email accounts, and I also found the two passwords to go into the conference room and access the secure terminal in there. And of course, I found the "blood on the wall" in Desmond's room and viewed the credits.

Now I know everyone loves discussing their theories about what everything at the end of the game means and where the story is going to go from here, but I think Ubisoft went a little overboard this time. The reason I am posting this topic is that I am thoroughly disappointed with this game's conclusion, if you can call that a conclusion. Nothing is resolved. Desmond is still a prisoner. The assassins are wiped out. The Templars are about to put their plans into action. And despite all the fascinating ideas everyone has come up with on these forums, we really don't have much of a clue as to what is going on. There are too many loose ends like the woman who impersonated Robert and all the weird things that are mentioned in the emails. Soon after finishing this game, my amazement was replaced with an emptiness deep within.

Now it's not that I'm opposed to cliffhangers, but a game should be somewhat self-contained. The story needs to have a plot curve with some kind of resolution at the end. Too many games nowadays seem to ignore the basic rules of storytelling. This game has a great story apart from the fact that the story doesn't end. Another problem is that many of the loose ends will likely be forgotten rather than included in the sequel, since it's always difficult to wrap up everything.

So that's what I have to say. Agree or disagree. Enlighten me as to a point of the game that I may have overlooked, or harass me for saying unkind words about a game that you love.

Crash_Plague
07-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Think of yourself as just having watched the first third of a movie.

Of course there would be no plot curve or thorough conclusion, and it would not be self contained.

Just wait for the next parts of the "movie", and it will start to have the things you seek.

(At least we hope so http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif )

EDIT:

At least you didn't make a stupid and idiotic first post, I respect that.

(although I think there is another, already existing thread where you could put these opinions in, but whatever, I am not a mod, so that doesn't really matter http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

TharosTheDragon
07-12-2008, 12:03 AM
I did not just watch the first third of a movie. To continue the metaphor, I watched the first movie in a trilogy. The movie should be self-contained. That's the way it's supposed to be. Look at all the great (or not-so-great) trilogies out there: Back to the Future, both Star Wars trilogies, the Matrix, Halo, they all have one continuous plot but each installment has its own storyline. And even in those cases when the second and third ones are closely tied together, the first one stands alone.

As far as Assassin's Creed is concerned, I imagine this first disappointment in the series will probably lead to more in the future. There's too much to wrap up, so there'll be questions that go unanswered when the trilogy is completed. They may end up leaving us in the dark as to who built the pieces of Eden, for example. The amount of twists that the story takes is comparable with the TV show Lost, which makes everything overcomplicated just to keep people watching. It seems like Ubisoft is giving us an imcomplete story so we're forced to buy the next game, a marketing scheme that gives us less than we bargained for.

I chose not to put this in another thread because it's not about the sequel(s) but rather the end of the first one. And I'm not saying that I don't get the ending but rather that there is no ending to get.

As a side note, in my original post I was about to comment that they might not make a sequel, but then I researched that further. On imdb.com (not the most reliable source, I know), they say that Assassin's Creed 2 is in post-production, and not only comes out this year but features Altair again, or at least the actor who does his voice. I also found this page http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=175552 which explains the ending really well but doesn't give it any more of a sense of closure.

Crash_Plague
07-12-2008, 04:29 PM
lmao, I kinda only read the first part of your post when I came up this response:

If it bothers you like that much, you probably wouldn't be a good candidate for watching the tv show "Lost" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

damn, I love that show.

But the way this relates to the topic is that certain aspects might be meant to stay as mysteries, such as the origin of the pieces of Eden.

And then I realized you actually mentioned lost in your reply, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Yes, it is comparable with lost, and some people enjoy that style of storytelling, and others don't, it's just your opinion.

I can see what you are saying here.

I don't know what else to say, you kinda wrapped up the thread yourself, I respect that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

spazzoo1025
07-12-2008, 04:33 PM
now everytime i get on a plane to go somewhere, im always looking for a hobbit shooting himself up in the bathroom-or a fat guy who looks like he wouldn't lose any weight, even if he spent 3 or 4 months on an island running from stuff and eating barely anything each day http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Crash_Plague
07-12-2008, 04:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spazzoo1025:
now everytime i get on a plane to go somewhere, im always looking for a hobbit shooting himself up in the bathroom-or a fat guy who looks like he wouldn't lose any weight, even if he spent 3 or 4 months on an island running from stuff and eating barely anything each day http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

TharosTheDragon
07-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Thank you for your respect.

The reason I came to this forum was to see if there was something else in the game that I could do. I kept thinking after I beat the game that it wasn't really over, that there must be something I could do to bring the game to its conclusion. I was hoping someone here could show me that extra secret at the end that I was missing. Alas, I was too naive.

Tomeron
07-13-2008, 05:40 AM
ROFL, Crash_Plague, the second I saw this thread I thought of exactly the same thing - LOST.

TharosTheDragon, most people, including me, love cliffhangers. Almost every TV show or movie I like has cliffhangers in it - ones that make you go ":O" for the entire day after you watch it (FYI, I'm talking about shows and movies such as Lost, Cloverfield, Saw, Cube). And now came a game that had an awesome cliffhanger - Assassin's Creed.

But hold on, you must understand this isn't just a cliffhanger - it's not just an "X is threatening Y with a gun - will Y die?! Stay tune for the next movie!", but it's a very open cliffhanger that really lets you think. Anyone who watches Lost and will go to Lost Wiki won't get out of the computer for the next hours, haha, there's just so much to read, it's amazing how everything works out together like it's a huge puzzle that isn't made piece by piece starting from the corner, but random pieces go in the puzzle that really makes you think - what will be the next puzzle piece?

EDIT:
"Another problem is that many of the loose ends will likely be forgotten rather than included in the sequel, since it's always difficult to wrap up everything."

Not really - that's actually a huge plus - it encourages you to play the game AGAIN just before the second one comes out. That's what I did with the Cube movies - initially I watched them separately and it was pretty ok - but then I watched all of them at once and it was MUCH more interesting(And anyone who watched the Cube series will now what I'm talking about - it's amazing how you suddenly figure so many things after you watch all of them at once).

Robbinho1992
07-13-2008, 06:17 AM
I think the game ended at Al Mualim. Everything after his death is "Extra special Bits".

Tomeron
07-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Extra special bits? No, I highly doubt.

Everything that you see when you end the game has no meaning if the game ends here. Also, when you look on the bloody wall you get the achievement "Visions of the Future" - meaning, visions of what's about to happen next.

ScytheOfGrim
07-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Ignore his post; he's merely saying that he doesn't care much for solving the riddles, as long as the next game comes out.

So, to him, the riddles are insignificant, for he is happy with whatever the devs deal.

TharosTheDragon
07-13-2008, 09:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tomeron:
But hold on, you must understand this isn't just a cliffhanger - it's not just an "X is threatening Y with a gun - will Y die?! Stay tune for the next movie!", but it's a very open cliffhanger that really lets you think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even in Lost, the episodes often have stories of their own, something that gets finished at the end of the episode. Like I said before, I'm not opposed to cliffhangers, but regardless of how open they are they should not be put in place of the ending of the first game in a series. They should be used in addition to an actual ending.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tomeron:
"Another problem is that many of the loose ends will likely be forgotten rather than included in the sequel, since it's always difficult to wrap up everything."

Not really - that's actually a huge plus - it encourages you to play the game AGAIN just before the second one comes out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually meant that they'd be forgotten by the game developers. It's quite frequent that writers will include mysteries and things in their stories that they never come back to, questions that they never answer. Sometimes it's for a purpose, but sometimes they just plain forget. It's understandable. But maybe these writers will surprise me. I can't predict the future.

And Scythe, it doesn't seem particularly nice to me to tell people to ignore someone's post. Robbinho had a perfectly relevant comment that suggested the game actually does have a conclusion, that conclusion being the death of Al Mualim. I would say yes, that works pretty well for Altair's story, but there are two stories going on, the story in 1191 and the story which seems to be in 2012.

pantherlove10k
07-14-2008, 09:00 AM
This game is a trilogy. The creators of the game discussed that with a game magazine. im not sure, but think the next game is going to set in modern. there is no need to back into his memories because they found what they needed, witch was a map of "super natural artifacts", like the one that the last guy used witch was able to control people. The Abstergo or modern day templars (the people that have kidnapped you) are look for these artifacts so they can control the would.

At the end of the game on the floor there is written "yona guni" Yonaguni is a mythological island of japan, that the story of this island is very similar to Atlantis. In the last cut scene the guy says that some of the places were the map showed the artifacts to be arnt even there anymore. so im guessing that this foreshadows the next game being in Japan (or at least a part of it) and searching and finding the rest of the artifacts before the templar get them.

i think that you may have to go back and play as Altair to find out what he did with the artifact at the end. for the most part i think its going to be sent in modern times, unless you got back in a completely different persons memories (someone who's ancestors know where the artifacts are or how to get them.) but i don't think that you will be Altair anymore, but more likely Desmond, but if you read the emails you would know that Desmond will have all of Altair's abilities and memories, because it said that if someone was in their ancestors memories to long or to much they would eventually become that person. so Im guessing that Desmond was in the memories long enough to gain his abilities but not loose his mind.