PDA

View Full Version : 1939 Type II Sub Upgrade

ElephantMemory
08-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Hello everyone, I'm a little new to this game so take it easy on me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I was playing the 1939 campaign with the starting type II U-boat, and I was wondering when upgrades become available? I have only completed one patrol so far, 2 ships sunk at about 8500tons I think. But from what I was reading in some discussions it sounded like upgrades were available first thing. But like I said, I can find no options to upgrade any part of my Sub, and I don't even see an option to upgrade to any different types of Subs. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope someone can help me out. THANKS!

ElephantMemory
08-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Hello everyone, I'm a little new to this game so take it easy on me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I was playing the 1939 campaign with the starting type II U-boat, and I was wondering when upgrades become available? I have only completed one patrol so far, 2 ships sunk at about 8500tons I think. But from what I was reading in some discussions it sounded like upgrades were available first thing. But like I said, I can find no options to upgrade any part of my Sub, and I don't even see an option to upgrade to any different types of Subs. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope someone can help me out. THANKS!

danurve
08-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Greetings ElephantMemory; When your back in base and click on the U-boat screen you can see what might be available. For the type II, well you can get a flak gun, and I suggest the II-D for extra range. If you keep the boat long enough I think even a hydrophone upgrade is available. I usually get a VIIB before then.

here's a link from the CM on carrer timeline (options)
http://www.mysh3.info/shiii/index.php?title=Career_Timeline

gsc67
08-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Hi Elephant and welcome to the board and the game !
First... I am going to take it that you are based out of Wilhelshaven and you started at the begining of the war since your start date is pretty darn early. At Wilhelshaven your early options are VERY limited, and basicaly until the flotilla moved it stayed that way. In order to upgrade you are going to need renown... I would suggest if you have not done so... to do the Naval Training and earn some freebie renown that way. Second... You can go to your desk with the reports "Icon" on it when you are at port... There will be some files on it and a nice little model of a U-Boat, and a Telephone. You can use the phone to request a transfer to Kiel... There you will have an option of a Type VII Boat. Or... If you wish... Use this first trip out as a learning experiance and start a new career and use Kiel as your start point. You will need sufficent renown to start though so go ahead and do the Naval Training, for its easy enough, and good experiance. The Type IIa/d was a nice little boat but left little options for growth for an inlet waterway boat. Good luck !! Let me know if there is anything else you need !!

ElephantMemory
08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
So really if your stationed at Kiel, then to get an option to buy a type VII U-boat, you just have to wait for the date they came into service? Providing you have the renown to buy it of course.

gsc67
08-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Type VII where available very early in 39' in Kiel. If you start 3 months in.... they are there.

Goose_Green
08-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Welcome to the forums and to this great game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You can try a fantastic and free mod called SH3 Commander which has it's own installer program. This mod allows you to fine tune your career mode experience and give far you greater options for starting your career with regards to start time, flotilla and your first U boat type too - plus there are many other options available. You can download it from here. (http://www.users.on.net/%7Ejscones/software/products.html)

ElephantMemory
08-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Great! Thanks for all the help guys, and what an awesome game!

klcarroll
08-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Elephantmemory;

I know that the natural tendency is to jump to a TypeVII as soon as you can "afford" it; ........But as a die-hard TypeIID fan, I'd like to say a few things in it's behalf. (My comments pertain primarily to how the TypeIID plays in the game: ....I freely admit that some of the things I do regularly didn't happen all that often in Real Life.)

First of all, the TypeIID is, as Danurve pointed out, the best of the TypeIIs due to it's range, and the other late model enhancements it benefited from. (Like "Kort Nozzles" fitted around the propellers, which significantly enhanced efficiency.)

The TypeIIDs were very "handy", boats: With their crash dive time of 25 seconds, they're the fastest diving boat in the game. Their small size and efficient drive system gives them a very small turning radius: .......Something you will find VERY useful if your thirst for an "adrenalin rush" leads you into the "interesting" art and science of "Harbor Raiding". I have gotten in and out of harbor basins that were so tight that a TypeIX couldn't have gotten turned around without the aid of a harbor tug! (A service "Tommy" is not likely to provide! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif)

Their small size also gives them the smallest "surfaced profile" of any boat in the game, making them a difficult target for both enemy lookouts and radar.

The small sonar target they present makes them difficult to find when submerged, ...even when going up against "Veteran" enemy "AI". I have evaded detection in as little as 40 meters of water by "bottoming the boat" right next to a recent wreck.

There is an upside to the TypeIID's small torpedo capacity!! ......Your patrols are typically not the sometimes grueling 4 to 8 hours of game time that it takes to complete a TypeVII or TypeIX patrol: ......And if you look at the "elapsed time" in terms of "Game Days", you will see that you can get two or sometimes three patrols into the same 45 day period that "The Big Boys" take to complete one patrol. This means that you are actually "delivering" about the same number of torpedoes per month to "Tommy" as your bigger cousins do!

There is one modification I strongly support: .......The effectiveness of the 20mm guns against small vessels is badly modeled. In "real life" 200 -300 rounds of well placed 20mm fire would turn one of the smaller coastal vessels into junk. Get a utility called "SH3 MINI TWEAKER": .....It's a hex editor for all of us who don't use hex editors, and it will allow you to adjust an astonishing number of parameters, including the "damaging power" of various munitions. (I am not advocating a "Cheat"! ..... The 20mm values simply need to be altered to bring them into conformity with the real world.)

Having realistic 20mm on board means that you can now effectively use gunfire to deal with smaller coastal vessels. With the amount of 20mm ammo you have on-board, you should be able to add four or five small vessels to "The Log" that you would have otherwise probably let go because they weren't worth a torpedo!

The "Bottom Line" is that there is a lot of fun to be had with a TypeIID!! ..........Don't miss out because you're in a hurry to command one of "The Big Boys"!

Alloy007P
08-10-2007, 06:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by klcarroll:I have gotten in and out of harbor basins that were so tight that a TypeIX couldn't have gotten turned around without the aid of a harbor tug! (A service "Tommy" is not likely to provide! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif)
* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very True, would have made my visit to Newyork much more "plesant".

PapaG39
08-13-2007, 10:45 AM
KlCarrol..Thanks for your fine narritive on the type IIboat.
I just finished my first patrol in the IIA & am quite pleased with it & would like to stick with it for a while. short quick trips are more to my liking.

The specs say that it is limited in range to 1050 km.
I keep getting assigned to patrols og 2000+ km.
I do have the fuel option checked.
The navigator just says " maximum range current speed is not available...no matter what speed I use I get this...Hmmm..

I have the game cd installed & just the 1.4b patch installed.
I'm not much on installing things, I usually get things all screwed up so I stay away from adding things, but if you have any ideas of something that would help with this boat in particulary, I would appreciate ...
kthanks

klcarroll
08-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Papa;

You really need to look at GWX! (Grey Wolves Expansion)

As good as SH3 V1.4 is, ....comparing it to GWX is like comparing a good hamburger to a prime, 20 ounce Porterhouse steak!!

You get:

1) Much improved graphics.
2) A whole world of new surface vessels.
3) Many more aircraft types.
4) More operational areas.
5) More ports (Friendly, neutral, and enemy)
6) A VAST increase in shipping in, and around ports. (Harbor raiding is now REALLY worth it!
7) You can still modify CFG files, and use a hex editor to modify .SIM and .ZON files.

There is only one "downside" I can think of: ......The load time is LONG. (It's the "Start a pot of coffee and go to the bathroom" kind of "long".)

Your missions can also be more interesting: .....Just yesterday, in a patrol based out of Brest, I was ordered to a grid square in the vicinity of Lagos, Nigeria!!

At first, I thought it was a program glitch: .....After all, there is NO WAY anyone can drive a TypeIID from Brest to Lagos, and then back again on one thankful of fuel!!

Before abandoning the mission, I decided to take a look at the map anyway; .....And as I looked closer, I saw some significant additions!

Sure enough, ....There they were!; ....German Tramp Steamers stationed at Vigo, Cadiz, and The Canary Islands: .....All standing by to refuel and resupply me both ways!!

I raided the port of Lagos, sinking over 20,000 tons: ....And managed to use my 20mm guns to riddle the two Flower Class Corvettes guarding the port. (The weather was VERY foggy, and I was able to get within 400 yards without being detected! At that range, you can take out his forward gun before he even knows what's going on!)

It was definitely one of the most interesting patrols I have played.

AtlantikEel
08-13-2007, 07:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElephantMemory:
Great! Thanks for all the help guys, and what an awesome game! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I may quote Bachman Turner Overdrive:
"You ain't seen nothing yet!" .....
wait until you see GWX! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
Welcome aboard!

klcarrol, that was a very enjoyable read!
Glad you made homeport safely! ~S~

Kaiser_W
08-13-2007, 07:56 PM
While it's true that supply ships extend the range. I have needed them many a time returning from the cape, the downside is that you lose your assigned patrol area when you dock en route to the area.

klcarroll
08-14-2007, 09:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the downside is that you lose your assigned patrol area when you dock en route to the area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, ...That's a flaw in the game: ...But if you simply stick to your original orders, you can still have fun with the scenario.

The fact that all your sinkings are not credited to the same patrol is mainly a record-keeping thing: ....They are still credited to your career.

PapaG39
08-15-2007, 01:57 AM
Well Klcarrell, I do see what your talking about in reference to the 20mm.

I was able to upgrade to the IID boat for my 3rd patrol. on patrol 5 I hit a tanker which burned like crazy, but wouldn't sink. It was twisting turning faster then I could & my torps either bounced or didn't explode., so I ran out & had to use the 20mm.
I fired every round at that dang ship & blew up everything on deck, but it just kept right on chugging along at 6kts. when left for home it was just blazing away just like from the first hit. Something not right there, but I'll live with it...lol..

I like this type IID boat & think I'll keep it a while.

One thing I found on my 6th patrol in January 1940... I had to crash dive three times from those sea-hurricane with their big bomb. That was a surprise each time because the watch guys didn't see him until just seconds before he dripped his bomb.

Actually, I'm not done with that patrol yet. I'm 30m under water waiting for dark so I can move.

This is really getting interesting...

PapaG39
08-15-2007, 02:13 AM
Oh,another thought. With the GWX will I still be able to have the crew settings at zero. I just don't have the patience to mess with them. That's the chiefs job.
I can't use that manual stuff either. heck, when I do hear something on the hydrophone I never even see about 75% of them, especially at night or in the storm..then I can't find my own self...

I run about 43% I that seems about max for me...