PDA

View Full Version : Clouds, Shadows, Water, Effects

spqr1951
08-14-2005, 05:52 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Have a question on editing the config file.

While waiting for V4.01, have been away loading up CFS1, CFS2, and CFS3 with every imaginable mission, skin, scenery, planes, ships etc., before these older missions become unavailable. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Just loaded V4.01 into PF standalone. Except for a more difficult flight model (which I corrected in my force Feedback Joystick's tool box), missions seem to run the same. Good job on this patch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Have heard and read a little about the New clouds, water and shadows improvements for this patch version, but I don't understand what it means exactly. For example, what to change the Water=1 'number' to for better effects.

In the C:\\Pacific Fighters\ main folder, I found a file named conf.ini and opened it in notepad.

Under the [Game] section there is no line like TypeClouds=0. Do I have to type this line in? From what I've read, =0 is the Old clouds, and =1 is the New clouds for V4.01.

In two locations, under the HardwareShaders=0 line, Shadows=1 is in both places. Can I assume that =1 means that Shadows is turned on?

And under both of the VidoeSetupID=7 and VideoSetupID=8 lines, the lines Water=1 and Effects=1 are typed.

From what I read, the setting for Water= can be =0, =1, =2, and =3, with changing the line to =3 giving the best waves and white caps.

But since the Water= is in two places in conf.ini file, do I need to change it in both places?

What do I need to change the [effect]=number to be to get the full benefit of V4.011 Patch?

Is there a place where editing the conf.ini file is explained?

The Word doc Readme_v401.rtf that Patch V4.01 puts into the PF root folder mentions these settings. But not what to do if the lines to edit are missing.

Regards,
SPQR1951
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

spqr1951
08-14-2005, 05:52 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Have a question on editing the config file.

While waiting for V4.01, have been away loading up CFS1, CFS2, and CFS3 with every imaginable mission, skin, scenery, planes, ships etc., before these older missions become unavailable. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Just loaded V4.01 into PF standalone. Except for a more difficult flight model (which I corrected in my force Feedback Joystick's tool box), missions seem to run the same. Good job on this patch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Have heard and read a little about the New clouds, water and shadows improvements for this patch version, but I don't understand what it means exactly. For example, what to change the Water=1 'number' to for better effects.

In the C:\\Pacific Fighters\ main folder, I found a file named conf.ini and opened it in notepad.

Under the [Game] section there is no line like TypeClouds=0. Do I have to type this line in? From what I've read, =0 is the Old clouds, and =1 is the New clouds for V4.01.

In two locations, under the HardwareShaders=0 line, Shadows=1 is in both places. Can I assume that =1 means that Shadows is turned on?

And under both of the VidoeSetupID=7 and VideoSetupID=8 lines, the lines Water=1 and Effects=1 are typed.

From what I read, the setting for Water= can be =0, =1, =2, and =3, with changing the line to =3 giving the best waves and white caps.

But since the Water= is in two places in conf.ini file, do I need to change it in both places?

What do I need to change the [effect]=number to be to get the full benefit of V4.011 Patch?

Is there a place where editing the conf.ini file is explained?

The Word doc Readme_v401.rtf that Patch V4.01 puts into the PF root folder mentions these settings. But not what to do if the lines to edit are missing.

Regards,
SPQR1951
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

VT-51_Razor
08-15-2005, 07:03 AM
Check this thread out, it may help you quite a bit: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/6651075613/p/1

spqr1951
08-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Thank you vt-51_razor. In fact I have seen that post recently while grazing the forum. There is a lot of common sense to adjusting video/graphics settings to the strengths of each machine. I've done it all before.

Perhaps I wasn't too clear, so I edited my post to better ask the question.

I am fortunate enough to have a P-4, 3.6GHzHT-XT, 1Gig FSB and Cache, machine with 360 Gb Raid-0 drives, 2 Gb Ram, and an X850XT 512Mb PCI-Ex 16X Ati card, SB Audigy 5V card, and a 23W x 17H Wide-Screen flat panel monitor. So I have all game graphics, video, audio and system hardware settings on Best or Maximum. Get no Stutter or jumping during heavy flack or when the screen is clogged with action. Like watching TV.

My question arose from reading about editing the conf.ini file for more advanced effects of the clouds and sea water. I was hoping that someone who had edited this file during previous patches could advise me. Mistakes here could mean a game reload (and the dozens of missions & skins. Yikes!)

I just might give it a try with the TypeClouds= and Water= lines to see if there is more realism. If I change the Water= to =3 and I can see 5 foot swells with white caps, then I know it will work. I just don't want to make a mistake in adding the TypeClouds= line.

Regards,
SPQR1951
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kuoster
08-15-2005, 03:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spqr1951:
I just might give it a try with the TypeClouds= and Water= lines to see if there is more realism. If I change the Water= to =3 and I can see 5 foot swells with white caps, then I know it will work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ATI rips people off with their top-generation line of cards that dont even Support Sm3 shaders.

Water=3 is rendered with shader model 3, and if you dont have a 6800 or better, than you wont get the full effect.

Not sure How it really looks with Sm2, but I'm sure its still nice.

spqr1951
08-15-2005, 07:30 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
So far this ATI Radeon x800 series XT-HT with a boat load of Ram in a 16x PCI express slot has been a dream to see.

Custom ordered a hardware intensive system from Dell a few months back. Have the resolution set on 1152 x 864 on the wide flat panel monitor. Having Win XP Pro SP-2 and large Raid-0 drives certainly has raised graphics to a whole new level. Like digital animation.

Video play never squawks at all. Sound and ForceFeedback Joystick perform great. It's a great gaming machine that also has M$ Office 2003 Pro as the only other OEM install besides the XP Pro OS.

With no broadband out here in the sticks, I have to make the play as challenging as possible for stress relief. And with a screen this big, realistic effects can be absorbing.

Worst case, I blow it up. But I have to see real swells, choppy waves and white caps from Angels 15.

I'll re-read the "IL2 Settings" by Covino printout again, but I'll probably just keep every possible setting to Maximum.

Let you know if the Clouds thing works as well.

Regards,
SPQR1951

spqr1951
08-22-2005, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by VT-51_Razor:
Check this thread out, it may help you quite a bit............

Thank you for the link.

As I said I would. This week end I made a back up of the conf.ini file and edited it in Notepad according to the README Pacific Fighters v.4.011 (4.011m) file that came with the 100Mb download patch. I added the line: TypeClouds=1 line under the [game] section.

Perhaps I didn€t pay attention before, but the clouds now seem thicker, with good ground shadows, there are a lot more of them at the correct altitudes. You feel confident using low lying clouds to shield your approach to surface ships at a distance, and to fly around smaller low clouds to sneak up on, or dodge an enemy on your 6.

I also didn€t notice €˜till later that the README doc stated that only combined IL-2 FB+AEP+PF Merged, or v4.011m got the full patch treatment with a 141Mb download. And that the line item features marked with an * only apply to PF stand-alone. I run PF stand-alone and the new improved Clouds has no *.

Explains the missing TypeClouds=1 or =0 line in the conf.ini file.

As to the better water/sea features effects, I had to go back to the README doc for PF v.3.04 (v3.04m) patch download to find this setting change. I again opened the conf.ini file and found Water=1 in 2 places and changed them both toWater=3. I also clicked on the link to the latest driver for my ATI X800 series XT PCI 16x vid card. Took only a minute.

The water detail for any effect and at any altitude now doesn€t look painted on. But there is increased tiling of the scene at the limits of you field of vision, especially at higher altitudes. Almost unnoticeable with lots of fluffy clouds around. A trade off?

Last, on the Covino forum article regarding the €œIL-2 Setup Explained€ about video settings and performance tuning the graphics system. That article made me think, but the tool box and settings he so well presented, are only available with the IL-2 FB+AEP+PF Merged install and v4.011m patch. But I viewed then tweaked the graphics tool boxes available to me with my PF stand-alone install and v4.011 patch.

Give it a try if you have this latest patch and only run PF stand-alone. Add the Type Clouds line, change Water=, and read the IL-2 Setup article for relevance€s to the PF graphics tool box.

Hope this helps someone else doing the v4.01patch. Thanks again.

Regards,
SPQR33

griego
08-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Water=3 only works with the new Nvidia cards. That support a new generation of shaders. 3.0 instead of the the old 2.0. Which ATI still uses. Even on the latest model cards.

spqr1951
08-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Hey thanks for the heads up. I thought I did something wrong. The clouds were a dramatic improvement. They just simply looked better.

I really didn't pay attention to the clouds effects or textures before, you get what you get. I now notice ground shadows and faint shaded colums beneath the smaller thicker low altitude clouds.

But the water texture effect was only a bit better. Probably from maximizing the graphics settings tool boxes.

Another thread in this forum about Water=3 had a screen shot and the water textures were almost real. Like a slow moving trout stream.

I don't recall reading (speed scanning)any posts or readme docs that stated this was nvidia specific, but it makes sense given the results I got for my trouble.

Hey, I'm patched to v4.011 with no glitches, loaded with missions and campaigns, lots of home made noseart, custom skins, and I have a new gaming PC to fly it all with.

I just wish that they would "re-fix" back to the v3.04 "fix" for 'max weapon loads' type models for carrier take offs flight dynamics engine(s). This patch also effected unimproved air strip take offs that were previously routine.

Even in one new mission, from a small island coral strip, I needed almose 3000 feet to take off in a corsair loaded with 2 tiny tims and 8 ap-hvar rockets. Took 5 tries to find the right combination of throttle position and the rate of increasing rpm/pitch, flaps position at speed, gear position at speed, pitch attitude..... even whether the canopy was opened or not. Let's not even talk about how touchy the rudder is.

Regards,
SPQR1951