PDA

View Full Version : My joystick saga continues (or: My Evo Hurts My Hand)

botski
02-27-2004, 08:01 AM
So taking into account everything that people have said on this forum and from reviews on the web, I bought a Saitek Evo last weekend. Every reviewer said this was one of the most comfortable sticks they had used....

Say what? Even with three adjustment knobs, there is no way I can dial a comfortable position on this thing. The problem is that there is so much opportunity to hit multiple buttons with your thumb, so you need to hold your thumb in cockeyed positions. This seriously hurts after awhile.

I pulled my busted Logitech Strikeforce from the trash, gripped the stick, and it was a tenfold comfort increase.

Sigh.... Perhaps CompUSA will be kind and take this back. **SHUDDER** Maybe will have to buy another Logitech, but will definitely buy the service plan.

Any other Evo users have the same lack of comfort problem?

botski
02-27-2004, 08:01 AM
So taking into account everything that people have said on this forum and from reviews on the web, I bought a Saitek Evo last weekend. Every reviewer said this was one of the most comfortable sticks they had used....

Say what? Even with three adjustment knobs, there is no way I can dial a comfortable position on this thing. The problem is that there is so much opportunity to hit multiple buttons with your thumb, so you need to hold your thumb in cockeyed positions. This seriously hurts after awhile.

I pulled my busted Logitech Strikeforce from the trash, gripped the stick, and it was a tenfold comfort increase.

Sigh.... Perhaps CompUSA will be kind and take this back. **SHUDDER** Maybe will have to buy another Logitech, but will definitely buy the service plan.

Any other Evo users have the same lack of comfort problem?

VOL_Mountain
02-27-2004, 08:59 AM
"I feel your pain"

Actually, my new JS didn't fit well either as it was made for a person with a smaller hand. My initial flights with the new JS were disappointing because I felt cranped to grip the stick properly so.....

I modified the JS to fit me. Grip diameter was increased using 1/16" thick x 1/2" wide double face foam tape. Then tennis racquet grip tape was applied over the foam to create a finished grip that is superior in feel to the original plastic. The triger distance from palm to index finger was built up by carving an oak "shoe" that I epoxied to the original trigger.

I must say the changes made a drastic improvement because I can fly with a relaxed hand since I don't have to forcefully grip the JS.

Mtn.