PDA

View Full Version : Extending flaps? New feature!?

VW-IceFire
02-18-2005, 03:38 PM
I know this wasn't the case in the past so something has changed at some point.

I remember there being a discussion about aircraft like the P-38 which had flaps that would extend down and out and thereby give the aircraft even more lift than normal flaps. I think it was called Fowler Flaps but I could be wrong.

In any case, I know for a fact that they never used to extend down and out...just down. But I was flying the P-38 in a slow speed fight with a FW190 and I deployed flaps all the way, took a look outside and did a double take. They do extend out now! When did this happen!? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cool feature!

VW-IceFire
02-18-2005, 03:38 PM
I know this wasn't the case in the past so something has changed at some point.

I remember there being a discussion about aircraft like the P-38 which had flaps that would extend down and out and thereby give the aircraft even more lift than normal flaps. I think it was called Fowler Flaps but I could be wrong.

In any case, I know for a fact that they never used to extend down and out...just down. But I was flying the P-38 in a slow speed fight with a FW190 and I deployed flaps all the way, took a look outside and did a double take. They do extend out now! When did this happen!? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cool feature!

Treetop64
02-18-2005, 03:54 PM
All P-38s produced had the standard "Take-off and Landing" types of multistage extending flaps.

Due to the compression problems experinced in the early P-38s when they went into powered dives, the later models incorporated dive flaps that provided some measure of control for the pilot in the dive, enabling him to pull out before he and his aircraft became one with the earth.

Of course, one would not use the extending flaps in this situation, as the airflow around the craft would rip the flaps right off the wings. The dive flaps were robust enough to survive this maneuver, however.

In PF:
- P-38J - Extending flaps, no dive flaps.
- P-38L - Extending flaps and dive flaps.

"Treetop"

3.JG51_BigBear
02-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Yeah they're Fowler Flaps and they got fitted in the last patch I think. The Ki-43 also got its fowler flaps. Its very cool. They can be opened at much higher speeds than standard flaps and from all accounts did a fantastic job.

VW-IceFire
02-18-2005, 07:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
Yeah they're Fowler Flaps and they got fitted in the last patch I think. The Ki-43 also got its fowler flaps. Its very cool. They can be opened at much higher speeds than standard flaps and from all accounts did a fantastic job. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, must have been becaused I hadn't noticed it previous to that.

Treetop, I think you missed what I was talking about. Go load up 3.04, take up a P-38 and drop the landing flaps...new visual effect.