PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Sidewinder

xh592
05-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Hi. I have a joystick and whenever i plug it in all the USB hubs turn of not allowing the mouse or keyboard to work. It is a sidewinder and I have XP and vista. It doesnt work on either computers.

xh592
05-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Hi. I have a joystick and whenever i plug it in all the USB hubs turn of not allowing the mouse or keyboard to work. It is a sidewinder and I have XP and vista. It doesnt work on either computers.

Bartsimpson-
05-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Sounds like you have a hardware conflict , in xp go to control panel- game controlers check for joystick properties .

Bartman

Platypus_1.JaVA
05-13-2007, 08:36 AM
The sidewinder is a really old stick and M$ doesn't produce it anymore IIRC. I owned one also in the past and the sidewinder was one of the more brilliant M$ products. They are rather indestructable and have a unique ergonomic feel about them.

But my guess is that it is too old to be recognized by XP or vista?

Te_Vigo
05-13-2007, 10:48 AM
At a guess, the stick itself will be recognised but the profiling software won't be...

some helpful links

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294672/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315926

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_port

horseback
05-13-2007, 02:43 PM
That's funny, MY old Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 works fine with XP, along with the original software for it.

It makes no sense for the Sidewinder software not to work with XP because Micro$oft didn't discontinue their joysticks until long after the introduction of the XP operating system. If your software doesn't work, you may have a worn out disk, or stick/software predating the introduction of XP by a good margin.

However, most of these sticks are getting a bit long in the tooth, and hardware problems are going to rear their ugly heads with increasing regularity.

The first thing I'd do if I were the original poster is clean the USB contacts on my Sidewinder's plug with a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol.

If that doesn't help, you may need to replace the cable. Losing all your USB accessories when you plug it in indicates to me that your stick may be shorting out the USB hub.

cheers

horseback

Bearcat99
05-13-2007, 07:38 PM
The stick may be FUBAR. Sidewinders work fine in XP. Mine does.. and after every HD crash it goes in without a hitch.

RamsteinUSA
05-14-2007, 03:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fox_3:
Non FF Sidewinder sticks are not recognised by XP. A search of the net confirmed this.

I have a Sidewinder precision 2. XP will not recognise the install disc. But I can use the stick for several months before it needs to be recalibrated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still have an MS Sidewinder Precision Pro USB joystick that works fine in WinXP. I wish people would stop putting out BS rumors that are BS!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

horseback
05-14-2007, 03:58 PM
As I mentioned in my previous post, I have a non-FFB Sidewinder PP2 that I bought around mid-2001 for use with an XP system. It has a USB type interface, and it still runs like a top using the original CD that came with it on the 8th or ninth computer I've had since getting it (ALL using XP). As other posts have established, my old stick is not a statistical freak by any means.

The Sidewinder sticks came in several versions, both FFB and non-FFB, and both gameport and USB. If your stick/software was produced in 1998, it might not work so well with XP. On the other hand, if you got one of the last generation (the ones with the red buttons), it should obviously work with XP, and if it doesn't, then something is wrong with your stick or operating system.

However important you are to the Universe, you didn't get the ONLY version of software or stick Micro$oft produced with the Sidewinder brand, and it isn't correct to say that "the software" doesn't work with XP. Blanket statements often serve only to discourage attempts to find solutions to your problems.

cheers

horseback

Hoatee
05-15-2007, 03:52 AM
I also have a Sidewinder Precision 2 (pre FFB) and it works - period.

Fox_3
05-15-2007, 05:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:
As I mentioned in my previous post, I have a non-FFB Sidewinder PP2 that I bought around mid-2001 for use with an XP system. It has a USB type interface, and it still runs like a top using the original CD that came with it on the 8th or ninth computer I've had since getting it (ALL using XP). As other posts have established, my old stick is not a statistical freak by any means.

The Sidewinder sticks came in several versions, both FFB and non-FFB, and both gameport and USB. If your stick/software was produced in 1998, it might not work so well with XP. On the other hand, if you got one of the last generation (the ones with the red buttons), it should obviously work with XP, and if it doesn't, then something is wrong with your stick or operating system.

However important you are to the Universe, you didn't get the ONLY version of software or stick Micro$oft produced with the Sidewinder brand, and it isn't correct to say that "the software" doesn't work with XP. Blanket statements often serve only to discourage attempts to find solutions to your problems.

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had no idea there was a newer version with red buttons that recognzed the software. Thanks for putting me straight.

Shakthamac
05-15-2007, 03:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fox_3:
Non FF Sidewinder sticks are not recognised by XP. A search of the net confirmed this.

I have a Sidewinder precision 2. XP will not recognise the install disc. But I can use the stick for several months before it needs to be recalibrated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

False. I have a sidewinder and xp recognizes it automatically

TheCrux
05-16-2007, 07:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
The stick may be FUBAR. Sidewinders work fine in XP. Mine does.. and after every HD crash it goes in without a hitch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said. Same exact observation here.

stalkervision
05-16-2007, 10:04 PM
MPP works with Vista too! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif