PDA

View Full Version : Joystick choice

buzzybee
12-03-2007, 02:47 PM
hello,

I mean to biy a joystick and to save the need of bying some rudder pedals, is the Joystick Logitech Freedom 2.4 a good choice?

Thanks

buzzybee
12-03-2007, 02:47 PM
hello,

I mean to biy a joystick and to save the need of bying some rudder pedals, is the Joystick Logitech Freedom 2.4 a good choice?

Thanks

Korolov1986
12-03-2007, 03:06 PM
No. Stay away from Logitech unless you have absolutely no choice.

Look into a Thrustmaster Afterburner II - affordable HOTAS with all you need.

blairgowrie
12-03-2007, 03:27 PM
If I were you I would pick up a Microsoft Force Feedback 2 Sidewinder from Go Gamer. Microsoft stopped making them several years ago and they are one of the finest sticks ever made. Go Gamer apparently came upon a supply of them recently. They have a twist rudder and force feedback.

http://www.gogamer.com/searchresults.htm?keywords=Joyst...yId=444710&x=33&y=18 (http://www.gogamer.com/searchresults.htm?keywords=Joysticks&brandId=&price=&653Search=true&categoryId=444710&x=33&y=18)

na85
12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buzzybee:
hello,

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Logitech and it works ok.

But you should stay away from wireless joysticks in general.

Insuber
12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
I own a Logitech Freedom 2.4, and used it with some satisfaction for a couple of years. The lack of cables was a real pleasure, but the precision and stability were only average.

My new Saitek 52 Pro gives me much more stable targets and an absolute accuracy of pointing. With the Freedom on the contrary the targets were bouncing and leaping worser -- a good training indeed but quite annoying.

Moreover the pots should be quite cheap, because the rudder goes now only to some 80% of the full left range.

The 3 alcaline batteries lasted some 3 weeks of moderate usage.

MY CONCLUSION: go for the Freedom only if you have a really crimped desk, or if you're an occasional player, who wants a clean desk and accepts to sacrifice a littl bit of precision.

Regards,
Insuber

PS: do a search on this forum and you will find tens of threads about joysticks.

Bearcat99
12-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I recommend that you not rule out rudder pedals down the line and that you also stay clear of Logitech. Try this site for a Saitek reconditioned stick (http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/recprod.html). Also hit the Nugget's Guide in my sig.

na85
12-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Ultimately, it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

The Saitek sticks tend to be on the "loose" side in terms of tension, whereas the logitechs are usually quite stiff.

Lubcke
12-03-2007, 05:45 PM
if you are agressive fighter pilot and spending lots of time flying dont buy logitech, microsoft joystics very good if you want to get away without rudder pedals...
i couldnt manage saitek, but i know some very good virtual pilots using saitek very succesfully...
but in my opinion ch stick, pedals and throttle is the way to go...

LEXX_Luthor
12-03-2007, 08:07 PM
If you must, you can get racing wheel with pedals. Not expensive and walk into almost any big consumer electronics store and see them. Designed for racing, its not at all perfect for The Sims, but its...well...until I got my racing pedals, I could never line up for a good strafing attack. Its not so bad. Small pedals though, best play with shoes off. Socks are okay.

fabianfred
12-03-2007, 08:54 PM
the new Saitek Aviator AV8R is great for the price... and you can use the spare slider for rudder trim

Divine-Wind
12-03-2007, 08:59 PM
I'd try and find an M$ FFB2 joystick if possible. Sturdy, heavy, and it doesn't like like a shiny Saitek starfighter stick! (Which unfortunately I'm using due to desk space constraints)

buzzybee
12-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Hello,

Thank you for all your answers,
its nice to have a better view on the joystick market. I decided to go for the logitech finally. A friend had it (the one with wires though) and he convinced me finally. The microsoft ones I didn't really like their look... (I know this isn't a very good criterium, but I find it important...)
I thank you all!

BB

bigbossmalone
12-04-2007, 10:25 AM
I hope your joystick works well for you, buzzy...
despite many who say otherwise, my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is now almost 3 years old, and still does the job nicely.
In fact, I'm so happy with it, I've just gone out and bought the Logitech G25 steering wheel setup today, expensive but hopefully worth it. My christmas prezzie to myself... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Now, I'm at work, haven't even unpacked it yet, but that's the first thing I'm doing when I get home...will give you guys some feedback on that once I've put it through it's paces.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-04-2007, 10:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buzzybee:
Hello,

Thank you for all your answers,
its nice to have a better view on the joystick market. I decided to go for the logitech finally. A friend had it (the one with wires though) and he convinced me finally. The microsoft ones I didn't really like their look... (I know this isn't a very good criterium, but I find it important...)
I thank you all!

BB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just remember, if it breaks in two or three months don't get another one, it will break too. Some people have had a single logitech stick for years, most have gone through two or three in a year before moving to something else.

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
CH Products all the way!

S!

Bart1948
12-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Hello
Again to everyone. I'm new to this fourum, I have posted a question on joy sticks, my own is a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro. My new concern is when I go to new profile and click on the assignment keys I don't get the choices I get when I open the other profiles, foi I trying to fly the Pacific Fighter, I've install it and the IL-2 Sturmovik and Lock On, no problems with the assignment keys and commands, just with the Pacific Fighter, I get the drop down menau but no choie of commands I do get to enter commands when I figure out what commands I'd like. Why is this working with the other profiles and not with the Pacific Fighters Thanks. May you all have a Safe and Happy Holiday

na85
12-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Just do it in-game

ytareh
12-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Cant let this thread go without my customary post declaring my undying love for the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro.I like them so much I have 4 of them -only one with potentiometer trouble.If they start to go (you can tell because you wont get full deflection on a certain axis-make sure you dont mix this up with bad trimming(and if you dont know what these terms mean you almost certainly will!))
Perhaps the greatest testament to my obsession with this much maligned stick is that I bought a HOTAS Cougar(the F16 replica one 'carved from granite ,ton weight but with a spring that is quite limp and unprogressive to the point that you have to buy an 'Evenstrain' modded spring ) and CH Rudder Pedals and resold them within a week or two I preferred my Logitech so much more...
Buy one and if it 'goes' bring it back and get another!!!

gizmo60
12-16-2007, 03:46 AM
i just love my saitek cyborg evo and my last one was 3 or 4 years old and getting a little worn from hunreds of hours on space games

after getting il-2 about a month ago i thought i would treat myself to a new fresh one but am a little disappointed
the cable is only just long enough to reach down from the side of the desk to pc and 2 of the switches are wobbly

my eyes have now started to linger on the x52 for the new year

Ken-Ghost-King
12-16-2007, 07:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
CH Products all the way!

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there any other http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JG52Uther
12-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Had my logitech for a year now,the ultra cheap basic attack3 model.Works perfectly. Not bad for 20 with a 3 year warrenty.

RAF74_Raptor
12-16-2007, 03:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Uther:
Had my logitech for a year now,the ultra cheap basic attack3 model.Works perfectly. Not bad for 20 with a 3 year warrenty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a logitech and it broke within two months

CH all the way and I am looking into a MSFFB as well