PDA

View Full Version : Okay what's the benefit to rewarding my crew w/ medals/promotions?

Charlie901
04-22-2005, 07:15 PM
What's the specific benefit for medals and promotions?

Is there a specific benefit for each type of medal, i.e. improved health, stamina, ability to do compartment job better/overall ability to raise the "Green bar" in the compartment?

Is there a specific benefit to promotions?

I know the effect of giving someone a specific skill is obvious but I was wondering about the medals and promotions?

Or is all this just "Fluff"?

R_Mutt
04-22-2005, 07:27 PM
I have one officer who is maxed out in medals and promotions and the guy is my workhorse, never fatigues or have to take him off the bridge. It's very nice.

quillan
04-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Let me give you a few examples. I have three machinist qualified warrant officers, each with max promotions, each with the German Cross in Gold or Knights Cross medals. Those three can run the engine room at 100% efficiency by themselves, and never ever get tired. I've got three torpedomen in the same situation, as well as all of my officers. I stick one of those torpedomen and one officer with the torpedo qualification in the aft torpedo room, and it's at 100% efficiency. One officer with Repair and one warrant officer with Repair, and the damage control party is 100% efficient. Two Radio warrant officers and your radio/sonar room is 100% efficient. I can now operate every single thing on the boat (except the deck gun as I have nobody with Gunnery qualification) at 100% efficiency, no matter how tired anyone is, all at the same time.

Bulwark_
04-22-2005, 08:34 PM
That's quite an efficient crew you have quillan! Wish mine were like that, I'm running into slight difficulties juggling 5 officers with only 2 officer bunks. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

TheFastFreddie
04-22-2005, 10:07 PM
It will get quite easier once you get an officer or two the German cross. I had all my officers, sonar(2), and watchman(2) with German Crosses and life was great. That crew died during TC so I'm off to a new one.

Johnny_JG2
04-22-2005, 10:20 PM
I have a pretty uber crew, myself.

All my officers have everything thru the knights cross, and all of them have 3 qualifications.

Both of my sonarman have the German cross in gold.

Since I am a stickler for depth control, I have a helmsman qualified PO and two seaman with the German cross in gold.

I have one watch PO and one torpedoman with it, also.

From now on I'll just alternate between my torpedoman and machinists for the rest.

I think that right now only 4 of my 5 torpedoman are needed to max out the bow torp tubes.

Wow- this is unrealistic. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It's either feast or famine with the crew management. First the entire crew seems to have narcolepsy, then all of a sudden they turn into a bunch of robots who never sleep or get tired. I think there's a cache of amphetimines onboard somewhere.

Maj_Solo
04-22-2005, 10:21 PM
I just lost my second boat to 2 V&W cause stuck in shallow waters and .... building a new crew again I noticed (and you too probably),

Give medals to those you want to be strong not those that deserve it.

Medals gives instant experience points right there while you are in dock, which means that sailor can get to the next promotion level sooner.

The efficiency of a compartment seems to at least be based more on the *experience* of those who work there, giving someone a medal, especially big ones makes big jump in experience and therefore on the next cruise he seems so much stronger.

The other important thing is ofcourse specialization, making them engineers, torp guys, medics and repairmen etc, have an effect, maybe it is even a x2 multiplier.

People say medals help fatigue and I have not discovered it to be otherwise.

Since I now seemingly late discovered experience is so important my new boat is built in these steps:

1) At Wilhelmshafen save your points and get a VII A.S.A.P.

2) Spend no points on boat upgrades but spend it all on the crew, trade crew back and forth like crazy so allready on you 4th or 5th patrol all your petty officers are on their way to xp300 and all your seamen have passed xp50. So far I have not been able to purchase seamen with xp100+ so the promotions I was able to "upgrade" some sailors to something I couldn't allready buy in port.

3) When you have quickly raised your officers like this only now do I give them their specializations. I do not want to trade in officers with a specialization cause at the moment I think that is lost. So to be able to trade I have to avoid wasting any specializations on them. I have a couple of officers from the original crew that I give the first specializations to and one of the officers.

4) When the crew is maxed out like this they are ready to soak up all that experience they get from patrol, and this way they got to this level much faster.

5) Also when you put one of your guys with some extra experience to shore, he will then be back promoted by others ashore. This is good since you dont get enough promotions to lift your whole crew, I can only see this is possible through trading.

6) I don't intend to build up my officers, I buy the 400 and 500 point guys when in harbor. And so I have to have a plan for what the 5 officers are going to do, and I go for the advice allready given here to put max effort on one of the officers to make him immune to fatigue and keep on watch all the time, and also give the same treatment to the sonar guy. Except for that I think a little bit on where they are when on surface and when submerged and when I am in a hurry and when I have time to move the crew around, so (I put the things I have not yet made up my mind about within parenthesis)

WO) WATCH, FLAK, HELM

On the surface if jumped by aircraft he will allready be there with his skill. When submerged he can help controling the boat while the other run off to use their extra skills elsewhere. The way this guy moves he must be the captains right hand.

WA) HELM, (REP), (WATCH)

Not so important guy, so he can take care of emergencies

NA) HELM, ENG, TORP

Not always needed on his post, he can during combat run off to boost the engines or speed up torp reloading.

LI) HELM, REP, TORP

When WO comes down it is either WA or LI he replaces so they can move their skills to where needed.

HO) GUN, ENG, HELM

Sleeping and farting in the Heckraum is my Heckraum officer, my own favourite murderer. He is just waiting for the next surface attack to help speed up gun reloading.

When preparing for an assault there is plenty of time to move the WO down, and move the HO up. Also it would be a pitty have the WO be blown into tomato sauce by a cannon shell, so he be as safe as can be in the command central when things get hot.

When the boat dives he can come down and use his remaining energy to boost the electric engines, while tha NA, who boosted the diesels while chasing begins to rest (if one can do that during combat), preparing to get back to command central and do some navigation when the boat surfaces after the fight.

----

I am not finnished with trying to find the optimum skill/movment pattern but you make your own, and then you know what you are trying to achieve and by that you know what officers you want to buy when in harbor.

lowdown762n2003
04-23-2005, 11:02 AM
At the start of the war the medals meant more because they were harder to attain but, at the end of the war, germany was handing them out like Cracker Jack prizes. Is this modeled? lol

MouseNo47
04-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Personally i would like to know each medals effect.

I would like to know that my time investing in handing out like 20 odd medals each patrol is going to add up to something.

Bulwark_
04-23-2005, 12:13 PM
I would like to know as well. I don't have very many medals, but as an example: I have issued a front clasp to 3 of my crew, and have not seen any difference between them and members who have no medals.